1U Tiles - Did Intellijel bribe all these manufacturers or what?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

1U Tiles - Did Intellijel bribe all these manufacturers or what?

Post by khyber » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:50 pm

Really enjoy having a bunch of 1U utility modules in my case, but it seems to be harder and harder to find manufacturers who are producing tiles in the Pulp Logic format.

After Later Audio, Plum Audio, Transient Modules, and a bunch of other great builders are keeping the format alive with new products but the tides seem to be shifting to manufactures only producing the Intellijel 1U format. Obviously it costs money for a company to produce 2 types of front panels for the same module but no one wants to build for Pulp Logic sized 1U rows anymore?

I assume customers are heavier on the Intellijel format than I would have imagined and it's a business decision for these companies at the end of the day to only do Intellijel size 1U tiles, but just kind of stinks as someone who owns Pulp Logic stuff to have to pass over these newer utility modules because they're 2mm too short to fit my case.

And yes, I could mount an Intellijel tile with some Befaco Knurlies or something, but I want Pulp Logic panels damn it!

filmersam
asleep at lightspeed

Re: 1U Tiles - Did Intellijel bribe all these manufacturers or what?

Post by filmersam » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:41 am

Intellijel based their specs on euroracks current dimensional standards, so I'm guessing other manufacturers are seeing that as the new norm.

Chaos215bar2
Common Wiggler

Post by Chaos215bar2 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 am

filmersam wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:41 am
Intellijel based their specs on euroracks current dimensional standards, so I'm guessing other manufacturers are seeing that as the new norm.
That, and Intellijel makes some pretty nice cases. I wouldn't expect manufacturer preference has much to do with anything other than what's selling.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:58 am

Plum Audio seems to support both formats and I believe Synsi only supports Pulp Logic.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

XODES
Common Wiggler

Post by XODES » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:56 am

From the manufacturer point of view, dealing with multiple front panel (or any other part) options is a nightmare.

That's why we came up with this style of panels for the 1U modules, which fit both IJ & PL.

Obviously you'll have some gaps on the top and bottom when using the module in a case at the PL standard.
Image   Image   Image   Image

teamhobson
Common Wiggler

Post by teamhobson » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:46 am

The popularity of the intellijel cases is likely to be a major factor. Especially now that the palette cases are out.

Ritual Electronics and Shakmat are releasing 1U modules in both formats, so there is still hope!

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:02 am

teamhobson wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:46 am
The popularity of the intellijel cases is likely to be a major factor. Especially now that the palette cases are out.
... perzactly! ... people that got on the Pulp train were on the Beta side of that one (for you young'ns out there, that's a reference to the VHS vs Beta thing in the 1980s ... Beta lost .... supply and demand at full song on that one, same with Pulp vs Intellijel on this one). Pulp owners zigged, the rest of the planet zagged. Now Pulp resides with Beta, MOTM, Hz/Oct, and any number of other attempts to create ~standards~ that were awarded the Darwin Trophy.

My wife has an Intellijel 7U x 104hp case ... really an excellent construct to be honest. It's not difficult to imagine how Intellijel is winning on the 1U "Beta vs VHS" front ... so to speak.

:tu:
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

kay_k
Ultra Wiggler

Post by kay_k » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:44 am

I have an Intellijel case, hence my modules are that size.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:56 am

teamhobson wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:46 am
That, and the fact that Intellijel is pushing the format with comparatively cheap modules. For example, the 1U BuffMult, Quadratt and Steppy offer more or the same than their 3U counterparts for less money. I don`t own any of their factory made cases, but for my DIY 13U 126HP cases I also chose Intellijel 1U.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:09 am

Was definitely shady what Intellijel did to PL, it's why I would never buy a module from them, but that's just business I guess. If I was a manufacturer I'd produce the PL format tiles but can't blame anyone for going where the money is.
Avant Garde a clue

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:35 am

Fabong wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:09 am
Was definitely shady what Intellijel did to PL, it's why I would never buy a module from them, but that's just business I guess. If I was a manufacturer I'd produce the PL format tiles but can't blame anyone for going where the money is.
Definitely not shady. AFAIK this was a decision solely based on technical reasons. Intellijel is 1U by standard rack units, but offers 2mm less space between rails. Vermona did their own tile format, it didn`t work out and no one was blamed for it.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:55 am

Last edited by DSC on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:39 am

andybizarre wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:35 am
Fabong wrote:
Definitely not shady. AFAIK this was a decision solely based on technical reasons. Intellijel is 1U by standard rack units, but offers 2mm less space between rails. Vermona did their own tile format, it didn`t work out and no one was blamed for it.
There was no technical reason to not use the PL format; nobody is putting 1U tiles in anything but a eurorack case so conforming exactly to 1U height is an arbitrary decision. They introduced a slightly different format to push a competitor out of the market, they're not the first business to do it and they won't be the last.
Avant Garde a clue

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 am

HeWhoWantsJeans wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:58 am
Plum Audio seems to support both formats and I believe Synsi only supports Pulp Logic.
Most of Plum's 1U products do come in both formats, though the newer ones (such as their latest iteration of Temps Utile) are only being offered with Intellijel panels. I know Shae has gotten a lot of feedback about producing both styles but seems reluctant to do so for now. Again, I can't blame him if 75% of his customers are buying Intellijel, but creating a panel that could support both seems to be the pragmatic solution (as another poster in this thread alluded to)

XiXora
Common Wiggler

Post by XiXora » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 am

Fabong wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:39 am
There was no technical reason to not use the PL format; nobody is putting 1U tiles in anything but a eurorack case so conforming exactly to 1U height is an arbitrary decision. They introduced a slightly different format to push a competitor out of the market, they're not the first business to do it and they won't be the last.
Not that arbitrary as they wanted their first set of cases to fit as a rack unit…

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:57 am

Fabong wrote:
Was definitely shady what Intellijel did to PL,
LOL
Fabong wrote:
There was no technical reason to not use the PL format; nobody is putting 1U tiles in anything but a eurorack case so conforming exactly to 1U height is an arbitrary decision.
Actually, there was a very valid semi-technical reason: From the perspective of a company like IJ which caters to non-DIY folks and modular newbies who just want a suitcase-form-factor case, it is desirable to not have to deal with PL's weirdo power connectors.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:08 am

ALL 3U Eurorack modules don’t fit the rack standards for the very same reason that intelligel modules don’t fit the 1U standard. Intellijel uses rails with lips just like Doepfer does and this makes the panels smaller. EVERYONE who makes cabinets with Vector or other rails without lips, HAS to move them closer than the 3U dimensions to make them work. Intellijel already made cabinets with the decorative rails before 1U was a format. They were not going to buy separate rails just for the cabinets that had 1U sections. Pulp logic just should have moved their rails closer together just like they had been doing with their 3U products.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:13 am

Fabong wrote:
There was no technical reason to not use the PL format; nobody is putting 1U tiles in anything but a eurorack case so conforming exactly to 1U height is an arbitrary decision.
Attachments
1u.jpg

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:18 am

Arneb wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:57 am
Fabong wrote:
Was definitely shady what Intellijel did to PL,
LOL
Fabong wrote:
Actually, there was a very valid semi-technical reason: From the perspective of a company like IJ which caters to non-DIY folks and modular newbies who just want a suitcase-form-factor case, it is desirable to not have to deal with PL's weirdo power connectors.
that's a red herring. the height specification has nothing to do with the power connectors. for example, Circuit Abbey has made 1U tiles in the PL height spec that make direct standard busboard connections (which, I'll add, obviously doesn't scale well when you have lots of 6hp tiles in a row)

this discussion has already been done to death and there's no point in throwing accusations around or even in trying to declare one "side" as being technically correct. the reality is that there are thousands of expensive cases out in the wild that have 1U rows designed for the PL height spec, so the demand for tiles in this spec won't go away. and also that Pulp Logic himself offers the most useful and varied set of utilities in 1U.

coexistence of these specs is a pain in the ass to support but it seems to be the only way forward. I'm happy to see manufacturers making both PL and IJ spec versions of their 1U modules, as well as the height adapter solutions.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:22 am

Last edited by DSC on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comacomfort
Common Wiggler

Post by comacomfort » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 am

XiXora wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:52 am
Fabong wrote:
Not that arbitrary as they wanted their first set of cases to fit as a rack unit…
Exactly. If anything pulp logic was shady ones for not conforming to the existing 1u rackmount standard

cinnatoastg
Common Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:36 am

comacomfort wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 am
XiXora wrote:
Fabong wrote:
Exactly. If anything pulp logic was shady ones for not conforming to the existing 1u rackmount standard
Second this.

Intellijel - uses standard rack dimensions
Pulp logic - uses custom dimensions
=
Intellijel shady?
WTB/WTTF Happy Nerding HM Vco

docile fossil
Common Wiggler

Post by docile fossil » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:39 am

XODES wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:56 am
From the manufacturer point of view, dealing with multiple front panel (or any other part) options is a nightmare.

That's why we came up with this style of panels for the 1U modules, which fit both IJ & PL.

[snip]

Obviously you'll have some gaps on the top and bottom when using the module in a case at the PL standard.
this is dang cool. kudos for solving a design issue in a low-impact way.

deviation from an established standard, unless it has some real benefit, sounds like endless, needless headaches.
::/:..:
.:..:\.

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:53 am

docile fossil wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:39 am
deviation from an established standard, unless it has some real benefit, sounds like endless, needless headaches.
Even if the 'deviation' corrects the format back to the standard set by Doepfer? This is all part of advancement. How many modular size formats were left in the dust by newer advances and eurorack domination?

I'm glad Intellijel perfected the format by not needing extra power connector solutions, making them for the most part actual modules instead of tiny single-use tiles. The amount of space I save (by having Quadratt/Duatts, Audio I/O, Midi, Sequencing, and Noise/Sample&Hold/Slew) is priceless. I never was compelled to get a case just to use the PL format tiles.

But again, this has all been hashed out a ton already.

To the OP, I think it's simply that fact that Intellijel's cases became a huge hit with eurorack users. They're almost ubiquitous at this point. Not only for the superior power, but also for light weight and design aesthetics. I have a pair of 7U cases and a pair of Palettes and couldn't be happier with them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

hinterlands303
Ultra Wiggler

Post by hinterlands303 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:59 am

comacomfort wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:27 am
XiXora wrote:
Fabong wrote:
But the Pulp Logic tiles DO fit in a standard 1u studio rack space. I’ve got two 1u rows full of Pulp Logic tiles racked up in a standard studio rack case.

For the record I don’t think Intellijel did anything shady. Euro barely has any standards to begin with and 1u is a further offshoot of that - it’s basically a new format. There are bound to be incompatibilities.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”