Lifeforms SV-1b & suggested modules

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Erronox
Learning to Wiggle

Lifeforms SV-1b & suggested modules

Post by Erronox » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:51 am

Hello everyone, I'm looking to build my first modular synth and I've chosen to go with the Lifeforms SV-1b as a start. But I'm fairly new to this world and I'm looking for some advice, I've got a budget and am looking to get a couple more modules to go alongside it but I'm not sure of what exactly.

At the moment I've chosen the Expert Sleepers ES-8 (as I use Bitwig) the Lifeforms SV-1b & the Erica Synths Pico DSP (for some added effects). My budget will allow for more and I want to add something that will help to generate/create a bit more variety. Maybe some additional craziness? I was thinking maybe something from Make Noise but I'm not too sure what and I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions that would compliment the LF SV-1.

My main motivation is that I want something physical and thought the sv-1 was a good place to start but obviously the world of modular is much more intriguing than that!!

I'd like something that will twist up/chop/attenuate/pitch shift and just generally twist the sounds up, a reverb/delay wouldn't go amiss either. I'll be sampling and resampling everything through Bitwig anyway so I'm just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Current plan
Current plan

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Re: Lifeforms SV-1b & suggested modules

Post by Electro Something » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 am

Only one LFO on there, so more modulation sources are needed. Maths would be the popular choice, and can serve many different functions. Or an Ochd if you plan on keeping that small case.

Speaking of cases, get a larger case. Check out the Mantis.

For reverb, I’m loving the Happy Nerding FX Aid. Inexpensive and small and tons of algorithms.

For delay I’m drooling over the new Xaoc Sarajevo but have to test it myself.

Erronox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Erronox » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:08 am

Maths is a good shout and I've been looking at it for a while now, would you suggest Maths and additional LFO's or would Maths plus the one on the Life forms be enough?

Yeah ice been leaning towards a bigger case but the thing is - it's my first modular synth and I don't want something huge. The Mantis is a cool idea but I've seen a few comments regarding the build quality/sturdiness of it, plus I feel like 2 x 104 is just too much for me to start with. I was thinking maybe the 104hp from Make Noise would be nice. I don't need anything else on the case to play midi if I've got the ES-8 so i'm leaning towards that. Well, that or the Beringer Go (IF I decide to go bigger).

I checked out both the Happy Nerding FX Aid & the Xaoc Sarajevo Delay and they're both really nice. The Happy Nerdings is a must I think.

sierraoskar
Common Wiggler

Post by sierraoskar » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:57 am

Electro Something wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:45 am
Only one LFO on there, so more modulation sources are needed. Maths would be the popular choice, and can serve many different functions. Or an Ochd if you plan on keeping that small case.

Speaking of cases, get a larger case. Check out the Mantis.

For reverb, I’m loving the Happy Nerding FX Aid. Inexpensive and small and tons of algorithms.

For delay I’m drooling over the new Xaoc Sarajevo but have to test it myself.
Memory may be failing me but when I had the SV-1 I thought it had one analog and two digital LFOs, plus ability to modulate with MIDI so it is quite capable in that sense.

When I had the SV-1 I personally combined it with a Befaco Rampage, Turing Machine (with volts and pulses), RYO paths, a couple of mixers/ VCAs and a Pam’s. I worked under the assumption I would sequence with MIDI and use the other bits for modulation.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:42 am

Do you want your case to just be one single voice? So all the modules are there to expand your Lifeforms? Or is this going to be a little jam box?

And if you’re going to stick to a small case, then you might want to stick to small modules that do many things. Check out the Disting and Ornament & Crime.

If you mostly work out of your DAW, maybe stick to all analogue modules to differentiate from digital stuff you can already do on your PC. Get a real spring reverb. Analogue BBD delay, wave folder, EQ. Maybe another filter to change up the sound.

Maybe get a little sequencer for days when you wanna keep your DAW closed or go mobile.

galanter2
Wiggling with Experience

Post by galanter2 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:42 pm

I started my eurorack system with a SV-1, then added to it. My suggestion is to hold off and add modules when you keep finding yourself needing A specific function with some frequency.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”