Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by Xssory » Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:47 pm

We are excited to finally introduce the module we've been working on for a year (and what a crazy year). This one is focused on clock-synchronized modulation of parameters in your rack, and offering a fast, playable interface for making live changes to this modulation to keep things interesting without missing a beat
Maestro_White_2000px.jpg
Maestro is a 6 channel clocked modulation controller inspired by the automation lanes found in digital audio workstation software, brought into eurorack and made playable and performable. Maestro will push and pull the parameters of your other modules with rapid or slowly evolving voltages, always in perfect sync with eachother and the rest of your system.

Maestro features:

- 6 channels of live switchable looping/one shot waveforms
- A clock system that keeps all waveforms in sync, even when switching them manually in a live performance setting. Maestro keeps track of the number of clock pulses elapsed since the last reset and synchronizes the phase of all channel waveform outputs together
- Internal or external clocking to sync with any modular gear
- A "Chain" function that allows different waveforms to be sequentially played to form complex, evolving streams of control voltage
- A "One Shot" fucntion that turns any channel of Maestro into a complex CV generator, following the rhythm of an external gate or trigger
- Instantly recallable save and load slots from the uSD card cached in internal memory. You can save and recall entire module state or individual channel settings to perform dramatic changes to Maestro's output without missing a beat
- Easy future firmware updates via uSD card

Here is a video manual that gives an overview of Maestro's features:

This is the first of several jam example videos to show how maestro can be used in your rack:

Here is a link to the quick reference guide:
Maestro Quick Reference Guide

Product page:
https://acidraintechnology.com/products ... 1642369161

Maestro on Modulargrid:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acid-rain ... gy-maestro

Full PDF Manual coming very soon!

Details:
MSRP $399
20hp, 25mm deep
65mA +12, 18mA -12

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions here, or email us at acidraintech@gmail.com - we are happy to clarify anything about the Maestro that may be less clear at the moment before the full manual is out:)

We are looking to ship these out to retailers and have them up on our webstore this upcoming week - will post again here when they're officially available

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by cafesinleche » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Looks amazing! Y’all make really cool shit.

comacomfort
Common Wiggler

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by comacomfort » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:14 pm

My god, chain mode is like Massive's automation section! I wanna get this

What are the outputs sample rates and bit depths?

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:47 pm

Oooof, this module looks interesting. Curious to see how this does at slower tempos.

parsec foley
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parsec foley » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:38 pm

This one resumes many modules in my rack, which are set for a similar function, easily managing instant changes and saving space... wow. Could a new firmware lead to static voltage 6 channels presets, other than low and high (0 to 5V), too?

parsec foley
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parsec foley » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm

...AND is there a way to attenuate the levels? guess it's too late for a small pot, but in discrete steps could be possible...

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm

Awesome! Cant wait for this. :tu:

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deftinwulf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:29 pm

parsec foley wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm
...AND is there a way to attenuate the levels? guess it's too late for a small pot, but in discrete steps could be possible...
Maybe with a firmware update. As of right now, according to Ricky Tinez' video there is no attenuation on-board.

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:11 pm

Someone pointed out that it recalls NI Massive's performer system. Cool to see a concept ported from DAWs/vsts to eurorack.

Attenuversion would be a big plus. Intellijel Quadrax lets you attenuvert incoming CV to 0, 25, 50, 75, and 100% with button presses. Adding it might have complicated the UI too much, though.

sndmsc
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sndmsc » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Very nice. Acid Rain's focus on realtime playability makes me happy.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Wow! This looks super-cool, even though I'm not completely familiar with what it does yet, but it seems like something I would be interested in. I have no clock stuff yet, so perhaps getting this super-module would be a great way to start. For a n00b like me, what traditional modules would this replace?

Squallaz
Common Wiggler

Post by Squallaz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:10 am

Nice concept. I like it! +1 for the lfo attenuation firmware update!

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:39 am

studio460 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:09 pm
what traditional modules would this replace?
A lot. Six channels of clock synced lfos where you can chain and modulate the type of wave and division on a per step basis. To do this with 4 channels you'd need something like the 4ms qcd and two quadraxes. One for the envelope/lfo and one to modulate the lfos and qcd.

This thing is REALLY cool.
WTB - Piston Honda MK3, Bionic Lester MK3

target_destroyed
Wiggling with Experience

Post by target_destroyed » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 am

This is one of those modules that makes me completely rethink my setup. I hate you. :omg:

(also make another batch of Switchblades please, I need another one)

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:13 am

Love this! Very nice take on the arbitrary function generator idea thought from a simple interface first. I don't think this will replace the Control Forge in my setup completely, but will probably make it a whole lot easier to set up simpler patterns. Definitely buying one as soon as it becomes available in EU.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:47 am

I really admire the Rossum Control Forge and the ability to program several steps of a control voltage envelope, but as soon as I watched Ricky Tinez' walkthrough of the Maestro, I realized that the reason I don't use the Control Forge that much is that, for all the complexity of the CV envelope you can program on it, your efforts only apply to just one channel. I much prefer the prospect of programming steps of CV, albeit with less complexity, across more channels. So I'm going to sell the Control Forge and get a Maestro; the Maestro should pair nicely with the Rossum Assimil8or.

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am

This looks like a specialized PNW with buttons, like if PNW had a baby with the Sinfonion. Seems supremely playable for music that is OK staying within some broad rhythmic parameters. Definitely want one. I also found Tinez' video to be helpful, for what it's worth.

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Matt_L wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:36 am
like if PNW had a baby with the Sinfonion.
Just my thought. :hihi:

I'm not sure if it's something I really want or need, but for those who often use their modulars in a groovebox style and like to keep things compact, this is really a dream. Oh wait, I DO like to use my modular like that often enough. Hm. which brings me to...
target_destroyed wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 am
This is one of those modules that makes me completely rethink my setup. I hate you. :omg:
:doh:

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:43 pm

Sold out already aside from vendors.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 pm

I preordered one from Schneidersladen and received it on Friday. So far, I like it a lot. Timing is tight and the user interface is great. I like that there are multiple ways to configure the channels. Each one has its uses in different situations. I just wish there was some way to see how long the total chain is that was configured so far. It can become a bit of a challenge to do the mental arithmetic when using multiple segments of different speed and trying to end up with a particular length. But that’s a very minor thing and just requires a bit of discipline from the user to get right.

It definitely is the simpler and more playable control forge I hoped it would be. It’s no replacement of course, but in many situations I don’t need all the complexity and just want to program something quickly. Maestro is great for that.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am

x2mirko wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 pm
It definitely is the simpler and more playable control forge I hoped it would be. It’s no replacement of course, but in many situations I don’t need all the complexity and just want to program something quickly. Maestro is great for that.
Thanks for confirming exactly what I was thinking in respect to Maestro's parallels and differences from Control Forge. However, I also gather that you would recommend keeping the Control Forge rather than seeing it as redundant with the Maestro in your rig?

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:05 am

Any chance to get exponential slopes out of this?

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 am

metamorphmuses wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 am
x2mirko wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:45 pm
Thanks for confirming exactly what I was thinking in respect to Maestro's parallels and differences from Control Forge. However, I also gather that you would recommend keeping the Control Forge rather than seeing it as redundant with the Maestro in your rig?
I don’t know if I’d “recommend” it. Depends on what you use your control forge for. I will keep mine for the time being. It can definitely do a whole lot more and I do need the complex modulation signals from time to time.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:45 am

Mine came today. Let's some cables...

minatorymodular
Common Wiggler

Post by minatorymodular » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am

I'd think exponential and logarithmic slopes would be a key feature.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”