Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by nelasma » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:45 am

Ok, thanks for giving me the bigger picture! ;)

Still wondering if it would be possible to record those waveform/division changes in realtime? Let me show you on a snippet of my jams what I mean. At the beginning in this clip I play a gated reverb and actively change the divisions on maestro:

Now if Maestro could record those division changes and play them back afterwards that would be some huge game changer.. at least for me.. :hail:

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by auditorycanvas » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:55 am

nelasma wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:45 am
Ok, thanks for giving me the bigger picture! ;)

Still wondering if it would be possible to record those waveform/division changes in realtime? Let me show you on a snippet of my jams what I mean. At the beginning in this clip I play a gated reverb and actively change the divisions on maestro:

Now if Maestro could record those division changes and play them back afterwards that would be some huge game changer.. at least for me.. :hail:
Not sure if it's what you're after, but you can set the clock division of each step in a chain.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:49 am

Not sure if it's what you're after, but you can set the clock division of each step in a chain.
I know that, but if I would have to add each segment on its own in such a long chain with small segments... I wouldn't do that in a live jam. Sure I could prepare those chains in advance but as I am listening and deciding in the moment I don't really like to do that either.

I got a clock, I got a reset and a finite amount of segments..In my "coding brain" I could imagine that feature being possible. But I'm not sure how the module or the backend is setup..

So again... rather than putting each segment there by a button press I'd love an alternative like a latch function (if thats the right word). Would be huge. I hope I could get the point across, but maybe I need to expand on that :cloud:

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 am

Example: A chain of only 1/16 pulses is playing. Reset is coming in on each bar.

While its playing I play around with divisions on this chain without going into the chain mode to put each segment there.

Segments get replaced with new segments divisions resulting in a chain like: 1/4, 1/8, 1/8, 1/16,1/16 ,1/16 ,1/16 ,1/4

If its not possible with maestro thats ok and I would have to look on at some point, just saying this would be awesome.
It's a really good module as it is but this would just be awesome, especially for long and fast chains and in general live performances.

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:41 am

Looks great. Also, if this had more outputs, more buttons, a screen, a data encoder and could do everything pams does, it would be the fully fledged euro sequencer I've been waiting for. I would really like a big sequencer where you can't enter notes individually and you are working more with looped random and macro sculpting...

moo_lefty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moo_lefty » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:21 am

nelasma wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:58 am
Example: A chain of only 1/16 pulses is playing. Reset is coming in on each bar.

While its playing I play around with divisions on this chain without going into the chain mode to put each segment there.

Segments get replaced with new segments divisions resulting in a chain like: 1/4, 1/8, 1/8, 1/16,1/16 ,1/16 ,1/16 ,1/4

If its not possible with maestro thats ok and I would have to look on at some point, just saying this would be awesome.
It's a really good module as it is but this would just be awesome, especially for long and fast chains and in general live performances.
Sounds like this could be easily achieved by feeding a signal from a clock divider into the clock input of maestro?

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:48 am

moo_lefty wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:21 am
Sounds like this could be easily achieved by feeding a signal from a clock divider into the clock input of maestro?
No it wouldn't be the same since the envelopes or gates would all have the same length in this case. (still like 1/16 divisions if we're talking about my example)

Also in my example I was just talking about divisions.. same thing should also apply to segment waveform and any other parameter you can normally set when building a chain.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 am

DJ Tap Water wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:41 am
Looks great. Also, if this had more outputs, more buttons, a screen, a data encoder and could do everything pams does, it would be the fully fledged euro sequencer I've been waiting for. I would really like a big sequencer where you can't enter notes individually and you are working more with looped random and macro sculpting...
I can't here your voice but I get the feeling that you're being sarcastic ;)

Anyway, if I take this seriously: Sizewise its perfect and in my case I wouldn't wish for more than that realtime overwriting of segments. Don't need a screen, don't need a data encoder, don't need excessive menu diving.
DJ Tap Water wrote:
I would really like a big sequencer where you can't enter notes individually and you are working more with looped random and macro sculpting...
Why dont you use lfos/quantizers and turing machines in this case? :mrgreen:

DJ Tap Water
Common Wiggler

Post by DJ Tap Water » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 pm

nelasma wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:57 am
DJ Tap Water wrote:
I can't here your voice but I get the feeling that you're being sarcastic ;)

Anyway, if I take this seriously: Sizewise its perfect and in my case I wouldn't wish for more than that realtime overwriting of segments. Don't need a screen, don't need a data encoder, don't need excessive menu diving.
DJ Tap Water wrote:
I would really like a big sequencer where you can't enter notes individually and you are working more with looped random and macro sculpting...
Why dont you use lfos/quantizers and turing machines in this case? :mrgreen:
Not being sarcastic at all.. I really love marbles and I wish it was a fully fledged black box sequencer.. And ya i do use quantisers.. Love em. One of the best things about eurorack for me

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 pm

So you’d like it to be an entirely different module?

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Stice wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:16 pm
So you’d like it to be an entirely different module?
I dont see why an alternative segment recording makes it entirely different but anyway.
I was asking if that would be possible as I think it would make Meastro one killer controller.

If no one can see the merits of that, maybe its just me and if you know a module which can do this, I'd be glad if you could point me in the right direction ;)

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:27 pm

I may have stated this earlier and am simply WAY too lazy to look. The only additional feature I personally would like is a per track toggle between trigger in for chain advance OR single trigger in for the whole chain. If that is not feasible Maestro will still be phenomenal.

duelinmarkers
Learning to Wiggle

Post by duelinmarkers » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm

Maestro looks like a ton of fun and very original.

I have a question about triplets. I'm going to call each cycle of a waveform a "note" here, for lack of a better word.

Is my reading of the manual (particularly the table and graphic at the top of page 5) correct that "triplet" notes are actually dotted notes (e.g., "triplet" 1/4 is 1.5x as many clock pulses as plain 1/4)? I think this means that you can't use "triplet" notes to play true triplets (3 notes occupying the normal space of 2) over plain notes, but if you build your rhythm entirely out of "triplet" notes, then you can play true triplets over that by using plain notes. Does this sound right?

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:22 am

duelinmarkers wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:10 pm
Maestro looks like a ton of fun and very original.

I have a question about triplets. I'm going to call each cycle of a waveform a "note" here, for lack of a better word.

Is my reading of the manual (particularly the table and graphic at the top of page 5) correct that "triplet" notes are actually dotted notes (e.g., "triplet" 1/4 is 1.5x as many clock pulses as plain 1/4)? I think this means that you can't use "triplet" notes to play true triplets (3 notes occupying the normal space of 2) over plain notes, but if you build your rhythm entirely out of "triplet" notes, then you can play true triplets over that by using plain notes. Does this sound right?
You would need a clock, that is exactly 1.33333333... (ehm too early in the morning, is that correct?) faster than the main clock. Pams New Workout has a multiplier of 1.3, so I guess this would stay in-sync. Should work like that, if you use normal or slow modes on Maestro.

If not, you could send a reset each 1 or 2 bars.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”