Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by gummyboy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:06 am

All the presets I saved are erased after power cycle. While module is on, save and load are fine.
Since it gets erased after power off, it won’t come back to preset 1 either
I followed procedure according to manual..... well....saving procedure is not complicated though.....

What am I doing working here?

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by pyrolator » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:27 pm

All the presets I saved are erased after power cycle. While module is on, save and load are fine.
Since it gets erased after power off, it won’t come back to preset 1 either
I followed procedure according to manual..... well....saving procedure is not complicated though.....
I would check the SD-card, because all the files which are saved can be loaded after power-off.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 am

Just something I'd like to check to make sure: Does the reset input work as I guess it should? Resetting the waves to the starting point every time?

I want to make sure that if I stop/start my sequencer the sounds affected by the Maestro will still be the same.

Bought two modules last year where that wasn't the case so every time I started the sequencer the basslines etc were different and I really don't want to return/resell another module for this reason.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:32 am

nodog wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:08 am
Just something I'd like to check to make sure: Does the reset input work as I guess it should? Resetting the waves to the starting point every time?

I want to make sure that if I stop/start my sequencer the sounds affected by the Maestro will still be the same.

Bought two modules last year where that wasn't the case so every time I started the sequencer the basslines etc were different and I really don't want to return/resell another module for this reason.
It does reset to the starting point of the waveform respectively chain.

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 am

Cool, cheers!

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:17 am

Mine arrived on Saturday, and I'm really loving it so far. The chain function is pure gold, especially with 4MS SWN.

I do have a small wishlist:

1 - Basic attenuation, just the ability to set 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% would be great.
2 - Option to change the phase of each track.
3 - Option in trigger mode to either step through chain steps on each trigger, or to trigger the whole chain with one trigger (plays at the channel's clock div/mult (and respects chain step div/mult).

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 am

auditorycanvas wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:17 am
3 - Option in trigger mode to either step through chain steps on each trigger
+1

PiLLoPLeX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PiLLoPLeX » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 am

My dream is real-time programming! It will be a dream!!

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:40 am

PiLLoPLeX wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:32 am
My dream is real-time programming! It will be a dream!!
What do you mean by that? You can real-time program the channels. And after programming Maestro will play the new wave/chain.

PiLLoPLeX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PiLLoPLeX » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:45 am

I mean to change division and wave in real-time in chain mode when play, like a chain step mode

1n
Wiggling with Experience

Post by 1n » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:34 pm

I like the idea and I've been looking at videos trying to work this one out. Reducing it down to my level, it seems to be a kind of controller version of Pam's, with easy -to-manage CV sequencing capabilities of Voltage Block.

Is that getting near?

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:24 pm

Am I correct to observe that the somewhat ridiculous 46bpm minimum can be mitigated by using the individual trigger inputs?

nexgen23
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:26 pm

The clock input on this thing is what has been really making it for me.

exmd
Common Wiggler

Post by exmd » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:39 pm

I have one coming any day and will load it into my control skiff for exploration. Looks so cool!!

myenik
Learning to Wiggle

Post by myenik » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:35 am

mntbighker wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:24 pm
Am I correct to observe that the somewhat ridiculous 46bpm minimum can be mitigated by using the individual trigger inputs?
Hey, this is Michael, I write the Maestro firmware!

I'm actually currently working on a couple ideas that I hope will get rid of this whole "minimum" BPM situation, where the maestro can generate very slow outputs but only with a faster clock coming in.

It only exists because of the way I currently try to detect when the external clock has stopped. Without any extra signals, the maestro actually has no idea when an external clock has been paused, it can only figure it out once it detects that it was expecting a clock pulse to have arrived by now, but it never arrived. It waits some reasonable amount of time before giving up, to allow for someone changing the BPM without getting a bunch of spurious resets, and this wait time is what leads to the "minimum BPM".

There are a lot of ways we could be more clever about BPM detection, plus after some reflection I've changed my mind about it being better to make this "reasonable time" to wait be absolute vs based on the length of the clock it was expecting.

So unless I run into any trouble, the next update should be able to pick up on any length clock you put in, even slow ones, and still act somewhat reasonably when the BPM is being adjusted live (it will still generate slightly too long or too short shapes for one clock cycle, but that is unavoidable, and now will reset if it changes very fast, but I think that is OK).

It will also be possible to adjust the maestro's pulses-per-quarter-note of the incoming clock, so you can use a "1/4 note" (relative to whatever else is happening in your patch) clock into the maestro and still have the time labels on the buttons match up with everything going on outside the maestro, which is something I wanted to have at release but ran out of time to implement.

The only disadvantage of using these slower clocks will be that it will take longer for the maestro to detect when they've stopped if you pause the incoming external clock.

For those who want it to stop immediately after a pause, this would only be possible if the maestro was given some extra information other than the clock itself, but if you don't mind patching that in then I'm also hoping to add a few options to allow users to select what the reset input does! It could either be:
- reset pulses (the current behavior that doesn't help with this start/stop situation)
- a start/stop gate where the maestro runs when the gate is high and stops when the gate is low
- start/stop triggers where it will toggle whether it is running whenever a trigger arrives

This should hopefully add some flexibility integrating it with external clock sources that can generate these start/stop signals, for people who want it to stop immediately.

Sorry for all the trouble this functionality has caused, I hope the new firmware will work better for people with slow clocks!

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:51 am

Personally, I'm a bit surprised it's not 24PPQ already. It seems to be sort of a standard on gear I own anyway.

You didn't answer the question BTW. Presumably if you use external triggers on every LFO, the clock speed could even be 20. You could Mult a Pam's output to get that done. Ugly, but possible.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”