Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by auditorycanvas » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:10 am

Xssory wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:46 am
The firmware file and updated manual are available on the Maestro page of our website:
Gold! Thanks very much for the attenuation addition!

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by klstay » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:04 am

You hit this one out of the park. PPQN subdivisions can be used in some interesting ways, but the attenuation and "go slow" additions will make this a must have for a LOT of people. (Fortunately an "already have" for me...)

PiLLoPLeX
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PiLLoPLeX » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:25 am

Is the attenuator index chained sequentiable?

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 am

Attenuator YEEEES !

Thank you !

Wilshire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Wilshire » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:21 am

Xssory wrote:
Hey y'all - it's been a while since we've been active on this thread but in the mean time we have been busy! Both building more Maestros that should begin shipping out this week to dealers, and finishing up firmware 1.1 for the Maestro

Here is a video that goes over the Maestro firmware update process and the new features on firmware 1.1 - the big changes are adjustable clock PPQN, no minimum BPM, and by much popular demand........internal attenuation!

The firmware file and updated manual are available on the Maestro page of our website:
https://acidraintechnology.com/products ... 1642369161

Page 10 of the manual also describes the firmware update process and the changelog for the 1.1 update

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues updating - we've had several beta testers update so far without any issue :)

Cheers,

Ryan
This is great news. Do the new units ship with the new firmware? Can't wait!

pyrolator
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pyrolator » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 am

Hi Michael,

the new firmware is great, thank you.

I would like to give one more suggestion, I am missing in a live-situation:
It would be great to have the possibility the chance/load menues by CV (like in the "preset" module of polyend), then I could automate complex changes for a couple of modules at once. I know that there is no dedicated input for that, but maybe one of the gate/trigger-inputs could be used for this...

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:42 am

Excited to see what y'all do with the new firmware!
Is the attenuator index chained sequentiable?
Unfortunately attenuation applies to the entire output of a channel - there's just no good user interface for attenuating individual waveforms inside a chain. Attenuation does save and load though!
This is great news. Do the new units ship with the new firmware? Can't wait!
New units will be shipping with 1.1
I would like to give one more suggestion, I am missing in a live-situation:
It would be great to have the possibility the chance/load menues by CV (like in the "preset" module of polyend), then I could automate complex changes for a couple of modules at once. I know that there is no dedicated input for that, but maybe one of the gate/trigger-inputs could be used for this...
Unfortunately all of the inputs on Maestro are binary (gate/trigger on or off is all they can read) so CV input won't be possible - this saves a lot of cost on the unit as it was already getting a bit expensive with all the buttons & other factors when we were developing it. One way you can sort of do something like this is clock every channel individually in one shot mode, and mute and unmute the individual clocks with another module (like a VCA matrix of some kind or another sequencer). This can give you more programmatic macro changes influenced by another module

jollyjack
Common Wiggler

Post by jollyjack » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:45 am

The pins on the back of the module (upper left), what are those for?

nexgen23
Common Wiggler

Post by nexgen23 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:54 am

Whoa, this is great news on a Monday morning!! Thank you so much!! I'm loving Maestro, it has played a part in almost every patch I build since I got it. The built in Attenuation is a very welcome addition to this module, and makes it one of the best modulators in my rack. If y'all added even more clock divisions, so I could get some crazy long cycle times I would be ecstatic, but I am definitely not complaining :)

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:12 pm

Xssory wrote:
the new attenuation option is awesome :hyper:

one more idea,

corently there is only the option for unipolar or bipolar,
would be nice if we can invert the signal.
my idea is, in the attenuation menu, the up/down button will set the channel to positive
and the down/up button will invert the output

that will be super sweet

thanks you guys for making such awesome modules for us ;)

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 am

tsope wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:12 pm
Xssory wrote:
the new attenuation option is awesome :hyper:

one more idea,

corently there is only the option for unipolar or bipolar,
would be nice if we can invert the signal.
my idea is, in the attenuation menu, the up/down button will set the channel to positive
and the down/up button will invert the output

that will be super sweet

thanks you guys for making such awesome modules for us ;)
Good idea. I'd add this:
Slow and Triplet multiply the selected attenuation with for instance 1.5 and 0.75, so you can even have more attenuation values. This would give a huge range from 0.75 down to almost nothing.

Anyway it's a great update with awesome upgrades. FOR FREE!!! :sb:

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:26 am

Good idea. I'd add this:
Slow and Triplet multiply the selected attenuation with for instance 1.5 and 0.75, so you can even have more attenuation values. This would give a huge range from 0.75 down to almost nothing.

Anyway it's a great update with awesome upgrades. FOR FREE!!! :sb:
Yep, the attenuation jumps are too big,

Maybe, in the attenuation menu, they can use the up and down buttons for the inversion
and the up/down and down/up buttons can be used for fine tuning the attenuation,
then we could jump with the timing buttons like it is now and then fine tune 8-)
guess will have to wait for version 1.2

but then again, flying attenuators are super cheep

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am

tsope wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:55 am
This for example.

Also, out of curiosity, how many Maestro modules do you plan to have in your system?

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:34 am

klstay wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am
tsope wrote:
This for example.

Also, out of curiosity, how many Maestro modules do you plan to have in your system?
oh, nice. but i am thinking on using this
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/fonitroni ... lack-panel
and i think i'll have 2 maestro's and 2 Malekko Quad LFO, and maybe 2 of Pamela's NEW Workout.
i am still not sure about which drum machine to go with,
but i am leaning towards the qd as it sounds amazing in every demo.
also, in my stupidity i thought that a low pass gate was just a vca/filter, which it sort of is,
but so much more, and after asking here on the forum i was recommended this one
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/takaab-2lpg-v2
which i think sound great, very plucky indeed.
kinda fell in love with lpg's.
i am a slow learner but i am learning. (hopefully)
here is were i am now
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1523885

every time i look for ways to do things i find new tuff i know nothing about,
or in the case of lpg's, i found that i was dead wrong :hihi:
oh well, still alot more to learn i guess :doh:
Last edited by tsope on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:52 am

klstay wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am
tsope wrote:
This for example.

and when i said flying attenuators i was thinking of these
https://www.errorinstruments.com/a-6083 ... escription
they even come in a 6 pack, perfect for the maestro.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm

Anyone having any difficulty getting Maestro to go through the update procedure? I have the FW.BIN file on the card and it just turns on normally.

tsope
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tsope » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm
Anyone having any difficulty getting Maestro to go through the update procedure? I have the FW.BIN file on the card and it just turns on normally.
you might have a corrupt file, try getting all your files of the card and into your pc and format your card,
then try again with only the fw.bin file on the card

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:09 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm
If you keep having trouble with this please send us an email at acidraintech@gmail.com and we'll help you get it sorted out :)

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 am

I don't know how it would work from a UI perspective, but would also love the ability to change the slope of the segments - linear, log, and expo. Thanks for the attenuation update, as that made me finally pull the trigger! Just waiting on my preorder to ship.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 am

ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 am
I don't know how it would work from a UI perspective, but would also love the ability to change the slope of the segments - linear, log, and expo.
Just out of curiosity, is the smooth option not getting you where you want to go?

Ivo Ivanov
Sausage Wiggler

Post by Ivo Ivanov » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:23 am

Xssory wrote:
Hey y'all - it's been a while since we've been active on this thread but in the mean time we have been busy! Both building more Maestros that should begin shipping out this week to dealers, and finishing up firmware 1.1 for the Maestro
Thanks a million for this update! :party: :sb:

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:53 am

klstay wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 am
ima_jrk wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 am
I don't know how it would work from a UI perspective, but would also love the ability to change the slope of the segments - linear, log, and expo.
Just out of curiosity, is the smooth option not getting you where you want to go?
The smoothing applied to the ramp waves is a hybrid exponential logarithmic shape (don’t know what the mathematical function is called). This does not yield a snappy ramp as you could get out of something like Maths.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 am

Still not getting why internal attenuation was such a popular demand.. Attenuation after the waveform seems so much more practical to me.

deft_bonz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:58 am

nelasma wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:32 am
Still not getting why internal attenuation was such a popular demand.. Attenuation after the waveform seems so much more practical to me.
I personally also would use external attenuverters. In a live situation, where space is restricted, this could be helpful though. Or if all attenuverters are already used up, it's good to have this option in Maestro itself.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:39 am

The ability to change various LFO parameters while a patch is playing is part of why this module was an instant buy for me. Having attenuation as one of those parameters is a different workflow. If dialing in something precise then patch it in. If just noodling about/exploring...

I do not know if we will get the other feature I would like: per track option to have a single trigger in result in a whole chain instead of 1 trigger per step.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”