Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:54 am

Slowly getting the hand of it... especially the Chain feature. Clicked a couple times in the wrong order. I will need some more muscle memory training until I can enter chains by heart 8-) Otherwise very simple handling, straight forward.

First impression: Great intuitive rhythmic 6 channel modulator/LFO, that can sequence complex patterns with the given 8 simple waveforms: Saw Up, Saw Down, Triangle, Inverted Triangle, Random, Fixed High and Fixed Low.

One simple example I tried to work out for my current patch:
I've got a repetitive pattern where I modulate the filter resonance and the amp decay time with Maestro. I started to find the basic "right" timing and waveform. It was easy with Chain to introduce "randomness" by adding fixed voltages (waveforms Low and High on the Maestro).
Basic settings were a chain with SawUp 3 beats, then SawDown 3 beats. I added 3 beats Fixed Low (0V) to the resonance (LFO1) at the end of the chain giving it a "rest". And for the decay (LFO2) I added 1 bar High (5V) in between SawUp and SawDown creating a "sustain" and then 9 beats Low (0V) at the end for a longer rest before it restarts. That will take you no time to program as soon as you know what you want. I think sequencing waveforms with different time divisions is unbeatable easy on Maestro. On the other hand you need some brain power for longer sequences (chains), that have a lot of different patterns with various time divisions while looping for example exactly 16 bars.

One thing I noticed is that the Maestro LEDs don't show voltage values, especially the negative values. See the video in the link below:
I set LFO3 to triangle bipolar synced to 1 bar and plugged in a Division6 LED-jack that shows the voltage. While the Maestro output state LED goes up and down within 1 bar, the LED on the output jack goes red (positive voltage) and blue (negative voltage) within that 1 bar. It's just a minor thing, that confused me here and there.

Overall I had a lot of fun with it until now. I realised how much I missed synced modulation in my modular setup, where you can sequence waveforms. And it's so easy to program. Most of the time I don't need complex or morphing waveforms like other modules can give you, though you can chain some complexity of course. And all of that for 6 (!!!) channels.

https://imgur.com/qlHOr9t

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am

minatorymodular wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:10 am
I'd think exponential and logarithmic slopes would be a key feature.
One might be inclined to call it a must have :D

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 am

Hey all,

Thanks for the wonderful reception of our new module here - it's been a treat reading all of your ideas about it and we're so excited that y'all seem to "get it" right away!

Here is a new video we just put up diving deeper into the chain functionality of Maestro:

& I will briefly touch on a few of your questions and comments:
What are the outputs sample rates and bit depths?
Maestro is currently running at 8KHz (though we may increase this in future firmware) and 12 bit depth. The module will run at audio rates, but be prepared for aliasing since it is not optimized for being used as an audio rate oscillator at the moment.
Curious to see how this does at slower tempos
Maestro will run at a slow tempo, with one caveat that the minimum external clock tempo is around 45bpm, 4ppqn as this was a design trade off with how long it takes Maestro to decide to stop when the external clock is stopped (the lower we set this, the longer Maestro "keeps running" after external clock has stopped) The current setting felt like a good compromise to us
Any chance to get exponential slopes out of this?
We will take a look at this and see if there's a way to implement it elegantly - for firmware additions we are going to be VERY careful about not disrupting the speed and playability of the interface - Maestro is all about a real time playable performance so all feature additions will need to be weighted against this. That being said we are super open to suggestions, and will give consideration to any ideas y'all bring in
One thing I noticed is that the Maestro LEDs don't show voltage values, especially the negative values. See the video in the link below:
I set LFO3 to triangle bipolar synced to 1 bar and plugged in a Division6 LED-jack that shows the voltage. While the Maestro output state LED goes up and down within 1 bar, the LED on the output jack goes red (positive voltage) and blue (negative voltage) within that 1 bar. It's just a minor thing, that confused me here and there.
Correct - the output LEDs are one color (white) on Maestro - there are already so many LEDs on this thing we had to keep it simple to keep cost under control. In this sense a bipolar and unipolar output are displayed the same on the while LED where LED off becomes -5V for bipolar instead of 0V for unipolar

Regarding-on board attenuation as several have brought up in the thread - this is something we've thought a lot about and I'll explain our thinking on it thus far. First, we opted not to include physical potentiometers or encoders on the unit as it would add a lot of cost and size to already our biggest and most expensive module. Second, there are already a lot of unique attenuation/attenuversion modules available, as well as many modulation destinations (voices, filters, effects etc) having built in attenuverters on their inputs. Third, with pots or encoders we would have to include some form of display LEDs to indicate attenuation amount which again would add cost, size and complexity. We try very hard to avoid user interface situations where the status of the module is not displayed visually.

The one advantage we can see to having built in attenuation options on Maestro's outputs would be to save and load attenuation amounts on the save slots. Within the UX paradigm of the module as it is, this would be tricky to implement and most likely only very coarse attenuation (something like 100%, 60%, 30%) We will keep thinking about ways this could be implemented without disrupting current features and are open to any of your suggestions about it as well.

Please let me know here if there are any other questions or thoughts you might have on the Maestro- still working on the PDF manual (these things take forever and we're a 2 person team doing it all so your patience is much appreciated!) We will continue to release deep dive and jam videos to help build context around the module over the next weeks as well :)

Cheers,

Ryan

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:04 am

Xssory wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:37 am

Please let me know here if there are any other questions or thoughts you might have on the Maestro- still working on the PDF manual (these things take forever and we're a 2 person team doing it all so your patience is much appreciated!) We will continue to release deep dive and jam videos to help build context around the module over the next weeks as well :)

Cheers,
Ryan
Hi Ryan

Thanks for your answers. Personally I don't mind the lack of attenuators, because of the reasons you mentioned.

But I can imagine that in a limited setup (e.g. for a live setup), it could be handy. I could imagine something like a long tap on Bipolar (or another button) then selecting one of the timing buttons (or just long pressing the timing button) to select a voltage level. None "long pressed" would be then 100%, where each 5 timing button corresponds to a 16,6% increment, in total 6 with none selected. The hard thing would be to implement that for a chain and how to display it. Maybe by making it flash or blink, so one button is blinking showing the voltage level while the lit up button displays the actual timing selection.

I have another simple question: What is the max amount of segments that can be applied to a chain?

The new video is great. I didn't know that the "overall" channel speed is affecting a chain. Important feature to know :yay: I always selected a timing for each segment within a chain, but that's not necessary every time. Respectively you can speed up or down the whole chain relatively :hyper:

BTW: When will the full manual be available?

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:54 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:04 am
The new video is great. I didn't know that the "overall" channel speed is affecting a chain. Important feature to know :yay:
That was the big takeaway from that video for me as well. I had assumed each element would have the fixed length of whatever was currently set when creating the chain. This is really cool.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:49 am

Really enjoying this module! Love the playability of the mutes and the synced movement it’s given everything.

Mind sharing some patch notes from the videos? I’m not getting snappy results like that and there’s a lot of multing going on to off screen modulation targets!

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:00 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:49 am
Mind sharing some patch notes from the videos? I’m not getting snappy results like that and there’s a lot of multing going on to off screen modulation targets!
Are you sure, you haven't activated Smooth? Ramps won't be snappy with Smooth, obviously.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:17 am

I'd just like to know how it's patched and why my setup doesn't sound so nice and squeltchy ;)

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:09 pm

I recently decided that next time I could afford to squander some of my hard-earned cash on my pulsating, ever-growing, modular system then I would squander it on some more modulation. Then this comes along.

Time to break the piggy bank (and hope I don't starve next year)
Random is the new maRnod

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:10 pm

Great questions here!
Ahh apologies for not including that in the video! The only other modules involved in the video are a Chainsaw oscillator into a Random Source VCFQ - with the Maestro modulating the FM of the VCFQ. Super simple subtractive patch - plus a 4 on the floor kick drum sample as a tempo reference when I start changing the timing of the chains. A few things to note - maestro's max output voltage is +5V, this may not fully open some filters (it does on the VCFQ as Random Source also uses -5V to +5V system). Also the VCFQ is an incredible sounding filter - a major cut above a lot of others I've owned, so that may be contributing to the nice sounds you're hearing! I will add patch notes to the video description as well
That was the big takeaway from that video for me as well. I had assumed each element would have the fixed length of whatever was currently set when creating the chain. This is really cool.
So glad I cleared this up for y'all - changing chain timing is one of the more interesting features - instant syncopation! I love anything that takes your intentional input, and quickly changes it up in ways you didn't expect. This kind of workflow is one of the big advantages of modular synthesis in my opinion
But I can imagine that in a limited setup (e.g. for a live setup), it could be handy. I could imagine something like a long tap on Bipolar (or another button) then selecting one of the timing buttons (or just long pressing the timing button) to select a voltage level. None "long pressed" would be then 100%, where each 5 timing button corresponds to a 16,6% increment, in total 6 with none selected. The hard thing would be to implement that for a chain and how to display it. Maybe by making it flash or blink, so one button is blinking showing the voltage level while the lit up button displays the actual timing selection.
Definitely thinking along similar lines for implementation - will test some ideas and report back. I think the issue of clearly displaying attenuation amount is possibly the trickiest part, might need to be some compromises there. Either way if we roll this out it will probably need to be a sort of "secondary" feature, a little less intuitive to use so that it's unable to be accidentally engaged in the regular operation of the module
What is the max amount of segments that can be applied to a chain?
Right now we have it set at 32 waveform segments - seemed to be about the maximum we could possibly keep track of in our heads.
BTW: When will the full manual be available?
Well this will be an evolving document - in the long term I want it to be full of goodies like patch ideas & explanations but I hope to get a first draft that covers all of the absolute basics up hopefully at the end of this week. Things like min/max specs for the inputs and outputs, detailed descriptions of how every feature works etc - too much info to cover verbally in a video. I'll post here and on social media as soon as it's up

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:40 pm

Also the VCFQ is an incredible sounding filter - a major cut above a lot of others I've owned, so that may be contributing to the nice sounds you're hearing!
Thanks for the notes, but now you've gone and done it! Now I need the entire Random*Source collection.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:20 am

Xssory wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:10 pm
What is the max amount of segments that can be applied to a chain?
Right now we have it set at 32 waveform segments - seemed to be about the maximum we could possibly keep track of in our heads.
Keeping 32 in my head... HAHAHA :lol:
But that is a great number, only 42 would be better :mrgreen:

I was thinking of "designing" a spread sheet that one can prepare a complex chain. Something that shows a timeline by PPQN (or similar) and empty segments. Now that I think of it... would it be possible to edit the saved presets on a computer?

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 am

Xssory wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:10 pm
Well this will be an evolving document - in the long term I want it to be full of goodies like patch ideas & explanations but I hope to get a first draft that covers all of the absolute basics up hopefully at the end of this week. Things like min/max specs for the inputs and outputs, detailed descriptions of how every feature works etc - too much info to cover verbally in a video. I'll post here and on social media as soon as it's up
Looking forward to it.

After looking up the timing divisions on the reference guide, the 1/32 triplet slow and 1/8 triplet are missing, aren't they? I guess 1/32 triplet slow are 128 + 64 = 192 pulses, and 1/8 triplet are 3 pulses, right?

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:40 pm

Now that I think of it... would it be possible to edit the saved presets on a computer?
8-) you may be in for a treat - I'm gonna do a video on this, but for now build and save a chain, and then take a look at the contents of the uSD card on your computer....you will find a pretty straightforward folder structure in there, with a text file for each channel's data for each save slot. These text files can be edited on the computer and load on power up into internal memory! We will also open up other configuration parameters for the whole module this way (things you would want to set and forget) - stay tuned for more info!
After looking up the timing divisions on the reference guide, the 1/32 triplet slow and 1/8 triplet are missing, aren't they? I guess 1/32 triplet slow are 128 + 64 = 192 pulses, and 1/8 triplet are 3 pulses, right?
You are correct - I had to leave a couple out in order to make the diagram intelligible. The full manual will have a table of timing settings and their corresponding clock pulse counts

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:46 am

Hey all,

We just posted the first draft of the Maestro Manual PDF on the product page:

Maestro Manual Firmware 1.0

We plan on adding more graphics and other visuals to help explain various features, but feel it's important to get a draft out now for reference by our existing & potential users. We are VERY open for suggestions by you, the reader in improving this manual! If there is anything you find unclear or out of sync with how you believe your Maestro to function please let us know and we are more than happy to clarify (and make an edit to the manual).
We would also love to hear from anyone who *doesn't* yet own a Maestro yet but is considering one - we want this manual to get good enough that you have a clear grasp of how this module could work in your system (alongside the video content)

Cheers,

Ryan

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:49 am

Thanks, will give it a read.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:28 am

aweeeesome! updates always welcome.

you guys just make beautiful things.

got mines in, only played a bit, already in love with the UI.

thanks!
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:50 am

MIne came yesterday and holy smokes what great fun and super duper live modulation tool! I went to town trying patterns with Plaits into Rings and also with WMD modules. I am still trying to get the hang of mutes and chain functions but really fun module. Reminds me if Pamela New Workout and Rossum had child together.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:10 pm

Loving the module, but just recently started encountering an issue with functionality with an external clock.

It works great as long as I don’t have an external clock patched in. If a clock is patched it just outputs a clock pulse/square waveform repeating on beat out of every output. The voltage output range is variable, and goes down from 5v to 2.5 volts on lower divisions of the clock (1/2 and 1/4) and then down to less than 1v if I take it off the bipolar setting. The chain functionality doesn’t work at all. But the moment I unpatch the external clock the module behaves exactly as expected. For example, if I programmed a chain, it will start running once the patch cable comes out of the clock input.

FYI, I am sending in 4ppqn from Pam’s.

None of this was happening before. Anyone else ever run into this or something similar? Is there a calibration setting I need to run?

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:44 pm

Yes, I am having the same issue as above. Very confusing!

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 am

I have only used mine with external clock and have not experienced any such issues.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:08 am

x2mirko wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:53 am
I have only used mine with external clock and have not experienced any such issues.
I don’t know when it started happening (I think I noticed the LFO’s weren’t quite having the effect they were before about a week or two ago), but I ran it through tests in my DATA yesterday to confirm.

I got mine from the first batch direct from Acid Rain.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm

Loving the module, but just recently started encountering an issue with functionality with an external clock.
Hey all - curious to get some specifics on what's happening here, at first glance it seems to me like you may be sending Maestro a 4ppqn clock below the minimum tempo it can handle (46bpm, at 4 pulses per quarter note). The reason there is a minimum tempo, is that we had to draw the line where Maestro decides the external clock has "stopped" and stops itself accordingly. Once it doesn't detect a pulse for a certain amount of time on the external clock input it interprets this as a stopped clock (thus the minimum tempo).

When your Maestro is experiencing this issue, is the Reset LED flashing on every step?

If you're using Pam's to clock Maestro - could you try 120bpm on Pams, with an x4 pulse output clocking Maestro? If this doesn't work we are happy to dig deeper to figure out the issue :)

Thanks for your help with this!

Cheers,

Ryan

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:00 pm

i had a similar issue because i was NOT sending 4ppqun clock, once i upped it to the correct multiple of the tempo of Pam's, it's been perfect.

running one channel from Maestro through Navigator (if i had room i would add 2 more of those. so GOOD.) into Model on Surface, a chain into Altar freq, a steady LFO into Altar resonance and one into the regen on Imitor.

loooooving the Maestro.

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:47 pm

Xssory wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:09 pm
Hey all - curious to get some specifics on what's happening here, at first glance it seems to me like you may be sending Maestro a 4ppqn clock below the minimum tempo it can handle (46bpm, at 4 pulses per quarter note). The reason there is a minimum tempo, is that we had to draw the line where Maestro decides the external clock has "stopped" and stops itself accordingly. Once it doesn't detect a pulse for a certain amount of time on the external clock input it interprets this as a stopped clock (thus the minimum tempo).

When your Maestro is experiencing this issue, is the Reset LED flashing on every step?

If you're using Pam's to clock Maestro - could you try 120bpm on Pams, with an x4 pulse output clocking Maestro? If this doesn't work we are happy to dig deeper to figure out the issue :)

Thanks for your help with this!

Cheers,

Ryan

Hey, thanks for the reply. I realized the issue was with the Ableton Max for Live CV clock coming into Pam’s. It’s working great now that I adjusted that. Previously I had just been clocking it with my Metropolis clock which was set it and forget it. Should have stuck with the small case and left Ableton out of this! Too many variables now!

And to @behndy: cool video. Yes, this module does in fact kick ass. Now that I have it integrated again I’m just sitting here listening to it run a bunch of chains all over my system and vibing.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”