Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by mixxalot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Mine just arrived this week, and so far, I really like it! The one thing that I am still trying to get the hang of is how to mute and unmute one or more tracks as well as how to chain one or multiple tracks together in patterns. I do admit using this module is way more fun than traditional LFOs and clock devices and reminds me of a cross between LFOs, clocks and step sequencers.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:37 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:18 pm
Mine just arrived this week, and so far, I really like it! The one thing that I am still trying to get the hang of is how to mute and unmute one or more tracks as well as how to chain one or multiple tracks together in patterns. I do admit using this module is way more fun than traditional LFOs and clock devices and reminds me of a cross between LFOs, clocks and step sequencers.
Select the LFO(s) you want to mute, then hit mute.

Then select the LFO(s) you want to unmute, then hit mute again.

OR

Hold the mute button then press an LFO track to instantly mute/unmute.

It’s helpful to have a scope to learn the chaining (to see what you’re doing), but you don’t need it. Select a track or tracks you want to make a chain with, then hit chain and press a buncha buttons (or make something with a purpose!). As far as divisions/smooth/bipolar, etc., I hit those modifiers first then select the waveform I want it applied to as the next link in the chain.

Then hit chain again when you’re done and the chain will be applied to the tracks you originally selected. You can also hit chain first, then make a chain, then select the track, but I always screw up this way and end up not applying it.

The chains are awesome but not enough is said about the playability of the mutes. You can basically make a track with some slow LFOs and the mute functionality.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:24 pm

If anyone was on the fence...

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:35 am

This looks so fun.
One feature I could see being useful is sliding the phase of a track.

evs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by evs » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:49 am

„Phase„ would be the parameter that would makes it a consideration for me... any chance this could make it in?

shellfritsch
Common Wiggler

Post by shellfritsch » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:46 am

After posting I realized one could patch a phase offset by taking the clock out to a gate delay and patch it to the channels you’d like to offset phase on. Still, it would be nicer to have separate built in phase controls for every channel. Seems like a UI challenge though...

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:05 am

was playing with the Jolin Labs Tabor, ended up more playing with the Maestro -

music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:33 am

I am making space in the appropriate case for this. Just waiting for it to arrive at my preferred supplier.
Random is the new maRnod

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:36 pm

I sorted out my weird clock issue. Works perfectly and is extremely flexible. Really highly recommended!

dvdmllr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dvdmllr » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 pm

What are everybody's thoughts on the Maestro after a few weeks with it? Still super happy with the Maestro? Game changer?

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:23 pm

Acid Rain,, add logic and probability.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:24 pm

dvdmllr wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:40 pm
What are everybody's thoughts on the Maestro after a few weeks with it? Still super happy with the Maestro? Game changer?
Still enjoying it. Not getting rid of PNW though.

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 pm

oh jia. PNW is like... a never leave the rack module.

but Maestro is creeping into that range for me. i get the desire for Moar Features but... it's such a quick, easy interface right now. don't know how you'd add much more without getting into Overly Complex Town.

love it.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:15 pm

it's such a quick, easy interface right now. don't know how you'd add much more without getting into Overly Complex Town
This is a major concern for us in considering any added features. Extremely quick performance playing is a central priority for the Maestro and we're definitely willing to omit functionality to maintain this, especially that which can be easily achieved externally with another small module. We are definitely listening though, and will most likely add a few things in the future in discreet ways that don't get in the way of it's current functionality :)

dvdmllr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dvdmllr » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:11 am

behndy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 pm

but Maestro is creeping into that range for me. i get the desire for Moar Features but... it's such a quick, easy interface right now. don't know how you'd add much more without getting into Overly Complex Town.

love it.
PNW would possibly have to leave the rack for a Maestro, would never sell it off though I know I'd regret that. I see you own both a Metron and a Maestro. Would you think between the two PNW functionality is covered?

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:50 am

I love my Maestro and even with PNW, Metron and more sequencers find it super useful for changing up a live performance in either a subtle or drastic way. The reason is that many modules have tons of cv points begging to be modulated like crazy and I seem to run out of LFOs quickly so now between Maestro, Kermit and Mob of Emus, I no longer have that problem and can leave Pamela and Mordax Data to do clocking and scope duties.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:35 am

dvdmllr wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:11 am
behndy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:30 pm

love it.
PNW would possibly have to leave the rack for a Maestro, would never sell it off though I know I'd regret that. I see you own both a Metron and a Maestro. Would you think between the two PNW functionality is covered?
i mean, it depends how you use Pam's i guess?

for me, she's the clock for everything else in my rack. i like to have the option of easily dividing the clock per each timed module more than using her for modulation. that's why she would never leave my system.

Stice
Common Wiggler

Post by Stice » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:54 am

I’ve been looking for a modulation source that offers a lot of synced timing control, and this is very appealing. A few questions for owners:

Do you miss having CV control over the parameters?

Has anyone tried making chains including the ‘high’ or ‘low’ segments, so modulation only happens sometimes? Something like this: _ _ _ _ /\ _ _ _/\

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:56 pm

Stice wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:54 am

No. Not yet at least.

Has anyone tried making chains including the ‘high’ or ‘low’ segments, so modulation only happens sometimes? Something like this: _ _ _ _ /\ _ _ _/\
Almost all the time 😅
Or go up, stay high, then go down and stay low. So many so cool, yet simple synced modulations 🤩

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:58 pm

I don’t think PNW cuts it for LFOs, the stair stepping is too noticeable esp. when plugged into VCAs. She still is the queen of clocks though :love:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:47 pm

Stice wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:54 am
I’ve been looking for a modulation source that offers a lot of synced timing control, and this is very appealing. A few questions for owners:

01) not at all. like they said, for a streamlined hands-on quick butts approach, some things don't make sense. i like modulating my LFOs with other LFOs as much as the next human, bur haven't missed at all with this.

02) yes INDEED. that's one of my favorite things to do. i love huge reverbs that cut in and out, this is beautiful for making patterns that do that.

technomania
Common Wiggler

Post by technomania » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 am

How’s this compared to the voltage block? Say you wanted to sequence a filter cutoff to open on the 8th step? Is the maestro the better tool for the job? I find the VB workable, but kind of finicky for the task.

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:54 am

Just ordered myself a Maestro. Today is unpatching day after recording yesterday. Soon it'll be "what can the Maestro do for you?" day
Random is the new maRnod

keef321
Common Wiggler

Post by keef321 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Xssory wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:46 am
Hey all,

We just posted the first draft of the Maestro Manual PDF on the product page:

Maestro Manual Firmware 1.0

We plan on adding more graphics and other visuals to help explain various features, but feel it's important to get a draft out now for reference by our existing & potential users. We are VERY open for suggestions by you, the reader in improving this manual! If there is anything you find unclear or out of sync with how you believe your Maestro to function please let us know and we are more than happy to clarify (and make an edit to the manual).
We would also love to hear from anyone who *doesn't* yet own a Maestro yet but is considering one - we want this manual to get good enough that you have a clear grasp of how this module could work in your system (alongside the video content)

Cheers,

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

I dont own Maestro yet, and found the PDF manual to be pretty good to be honest. I found the visual waveform and modifier combinations to be really useful, as that really cleared up any confusion for me on the shapes possible. I followed the PDF Manual with the video manual, and really liked that.

I can't wait to try this out, I have been waiting for a solution in Eurorack for a 'Native Instruments Massive Performer' style modulator for some time. I have been using 2 x Ginkgo TTLFO's paired with a Make Noise Maths feed with CV in the meantime, so Maestro will simplify this and give me more control (and 6 channels, wow). From my point of view the only thing missing from Maestro compared to a 'Massive Performer' is per step control of modulation depth, but nothing is perfect and I understand design choices have to be made due to cost etc etc, either way I am very happy to see this module come to reality. Now I must check my bank account :hihi:

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:30 pm

technomania wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 am
How’s this compared to the voltage block? Say you wanted to sequence a filter cutoff to open on the 8th step? Is the maestro the better tool for the job? I find the VB workable, but kind of finicky for the task.
Simple answer is yes it can do this. The reset inputs and/or the chains are your friends for this kind of patching.

However, my understanding of the VB (never used) is that it’s a bit more immediate for the per step voltage change thing.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”