Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:01 pm

technomania wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 am
How’s this compared to the voltage block? Say you wanted to sequence a filter cutoff to open on the 8th step? Is the maestro the better tool for the job? I find the VB workable, but kind of finicky for the task.
For this specific task, the VB is probably better, but it's comparing apples to oranges. This thing does something unique that no other module can do as simply as this does. Very cool design! I just ordered one myself. :)

How many segments can a chain consist of, by the way?

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Introducing Maestro - 6 channel clocked modulation controller from Acid Rain Technology

Post by Hyberus » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:18 am

Mine's arrived. Very easy to set up and use with the enclosed quick start guide. Only negative that I've found is that while the individual channels respond well to an external clock (from Pams) the overall clock did not behave as I would have expected - ie the waveforms only stayed on briefly before returning to zero, no matter what the duration of the clock was. This could have been user error on my part (will download the full manual)

Oh, and there were no screws with it. Luckily I have plenty!
Random is the new maRnod

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 am

Only negative that I've found is that while the individual channels respond well to an external clock (from Pams) the overall clock did not behave as I would have expected - ie the waveforms only stayed on briefly before returning to zero, no matter what the duration of the clock was
Hey Hyberus - something to look out for is that the minimum external clock tempo is 46bpm at 4 pulses per quarter note. Below this tempo (with longer spaces between the clock pulses) maestro will think that the clock has stopped on every pulse and reset itself. Let me know if this clear things up for you, and I’m happy to answer any other questions if you’re still encountering any issues :)

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:09 am

Xssory wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:36 am
Only negative that I've found is that while the individual channels respond well to an external clock (from Pams) the overall clock did not behave as I would have expected - ie the waveforms only stayed on briefly before returning to zero, no matter what the duration of the clock was
Hey Hyberus - something to look out for is that the minimum external clock tempo is 46bpm at 4 pulses per quarter note. Below this tempo (with longer spaces between the clock pulses) maestro will think that the clock has stopped on every pulse and reset itself. Let me know if this clear things up for you, and I’m happy to answer any other questions if you’re still encountering any issues :)
Thank you! I was running it at 85bpm, but will do some more experimenting today. It's a great bit of kit, so you should be proud of it.
Random is the new maRnod

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:12 am

i had the same issue, make sure you're sending a 4 pqn single. 4 times the tempo you desire. works a charm after that.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 am

Put it down to operator error/stupidity. Tried it again and it was fine. Can confirm that a clock to an individual channel overrides the 'master' clock as one would expect. Happy days
Random is the new maRnod

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:12 am

Hyberus wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 am
Put it down to operator error/stupidity. Tried it again and it was fine. Can confirm that a clock to an individual channel overrides the 'master' clock as one would expect. Happy days
:mrgreen: reminds me when plug into TRIG and modulation does nothing and I try desperatly new settings 🤭

Hyberus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Hyberus » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:19 am

I have days like that.
Random is the new maRnod

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:17 am

technomania wrote:
How’s this compared to the voltage block? Say you wanted to sequence a filter cutoff to open on the 8th step? Is the maestro the better tool for the job? I find the VB workable, but kind of finicky for the task.
On this topic Omri Cohen LOVES his VB, but he is disappointed that it's 5V only. Some of the most popular modules are Mutable Instr. And some of them want an 8V range (for example). So Maestro may not have a 0 - 10V option, but it can have a 10V swing. So at least with my Befaco A*B+C (or similar) you can add a bit of offset. So you can get the full range Plaits on an 8V input by adding offset and a little attenuation. Of course being built in would certainly be a nice option.

I really wish ModularGrid had CV voltage as one of the data points so you could just hover over modules in your rack and have a gain staging reference tool.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:28 am

mntbighker wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:17 am
technomania wrote:
I really wish ModularGrid had CV voltage as one of the data points so you could just hover over modules in your rack and have a gain staging reference tool.
That's a good shout! Suggest it in the Modulargrid-thread. :)

homepoeteuro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by homepoeteuro » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:02 pm

This is a great, great module. Very live. In combination with a filter: insane. In combination with the 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator: magic.

mntbighker
Common Wiggler

Post by mntbighker » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:05 pm

homepoeteuro wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:02 pm
This is a great, great module. Very live. In combination with a filter: insane. In combination with the 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator: magic.
Hoping for similar magic with 4MS Ensemble and Cloud Terrarium. Possibly also the Disting EX after the recent firmware additions.

Xssory
Common Wiggler

Post by Xssory » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:51 pm

In combination with the 4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator: magic
ooh I would love to hear this!

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:36 am

This thing is great. I basically just bash in rhythms a rather randomly, but depending on where you chuck the outputs, you're bound to get some interesting results. Very musical! Love it. :) well done, Acid Rain!

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:41 am

This thing looks so bomb, but then, when I think about it, in 99% of the cases when I design automation lanes in the DAW, I need bezier curves, not straight lines.

Are you guys fine with this omission? Or do you send the maestros output through shapers? Since it's 6 channels, that would be a lot of extra gear to wield...
Last edited by LunaticSound on Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:14 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:41 am
This thing looks so bomb, but then, when I think about it, in 99% of the cases when I design automation lanes in the DAW, I need bezier curves, not straight lines.

Are you guys fine with this omission? Or do you send the maestros output through shapers? Since it's 6 channels, tjat would be a lot of extra gear to wield...
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean by "bezier curves," but you can smooth out almost any "straight lines" on Maestro. Check out the "smooth" button.

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:14 am
LunaticSound wrote:

Are you guys fine with this omission? Or do you send the maestros output through shapers? Since it's 6 channels, tjat would be a lot of extra gear to wield...
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you mean by "bezier curves," but you can smooth out almost any "straight lines" on Maestro. Check out the "smooth" button.
And what happens, when you smooth the ramp?

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:23 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 am
LunaticSound wrote:

This happens:
Screenshot 2021-01-25 at 16.22.09.png

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:26 am

LunaticSound wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:06 am
LunaticSound wrote:

Use the chain function to chain together a slow smoothed ramp with a smoothed triangle. That should give you close to the shape you are looking for.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 pm

this stuff is great but I def need more segments for the chain :'D

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm

moof. i am fiiiiine with the length of chain possible, but i feel you. longer options always neat.

what i would love is a way to add on to a chain. i'm a little silly about keeping the math straight when stacking a bunch of different length segments in a row, so if i end up with 3.25 bars of delicousness, would be nifty to add in that last little bit to make it a 4 bar repeating modulation pattern.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:05 pm

nelasma wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 pm
Not the same, but you could send a slower clock to have a very long chain. Still 32 segments, but longer. That might do the trick in some situations.

Or you create multiple chains and trigger them sequentially.

thread
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thread » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm

Really enjoying my Maestro. It's only been a couple sessions... maybe I'll come to terms better, but for the intended jammability, wouldn't it be nice to be able to "latch" one or more channels so they can be acted on quickly without reselecting the channel(s) each time? Holding the channel buttons is close, but it would be sweet to be able to improvise a bit easier before programming a chain.

Example: Hold one or more channel buttons and press "Save". Now, the selected channel buttons stay illuminated and the timing/shape/mute buttons act as if they remain held. Perhaps the mode is exited by pressing any channel button.

Maybe there's a variation that makes more sense. Maybe it's a silly idea for one reason or another, but it was one I had.

nelasma
Learning to Wiggle

Post by nelasma » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:53 am

deft_bonz wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:05 pm
nelasma wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 pm
Not the same, but you could send a slower clock to have a very long chain. Still 32 segments, but longer. That might do the trick in some situations.

Or you create multiple chains and trigger them sequentially.
When I hack in something for a faster techno track those segments are def not enough. At least for what I have in mind.. Switching sequentially would be possible, but I'd find it to hard to move around or would easily loose track of whats going on in live performance I guess.

I think it wouldn't be too much of a problem to make more segments available but maybe theres some problem that doesn't allow that? (yet? ;D)

astromass
Learning to Wiggle

Post by astromass » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:11 am

This module is in EVERY patch mine now...bravo Acid Rain!
I am wondering if other types of module could be developed with this platform? Like perhaps some weird CV sequencer bank? Awesome stuff. Highly recommended!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”