Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Post by wrngtrls » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm

fruitsnake wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 pm
One thing that can be a positive or negative depending on your preference is the fact that as soon as you turn a knob, it jumps to the value of the current position, as opposed to many other modules where the knob must be turned past the current value before engaging. I haven't decided if I like this or not yet.
This is becoming increasingly a thing in synths I have. Dreadbox calls this Catch and Jump modes. You seem to note that you prefer catch; I actually prefer jump because in catch mode I tend to freak out and think my modules don't work because my knob turning isn't changing the presets. Whereas with jump mode, it's way harder to figure out how presets were designed, but at least I know the module's working! Also, you encounter the extremes of an instrument rather early, which is, agreed, super confusing at first, but creates a steep learning curve that pays off.

My MOE comes Saturday and I'm going to move it to the left of my Assimil8or, not the right, because I want to see if I can patch 1.5" cables off the right edge of my case, thread them behind the rack, and up around the left edge to patch my gate ins to Assimil8or. After that, my 4hp hole will wait patiently for a Pittsburgh Gibbon, then my 2020 Eurorack Mystery Tour will end.

lihp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lihp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:12 am

fruitsnake wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:17 pm
Are you selecting only the one channel that you want to edit using the channel select buttons, then assigning the cv input mode, and then finding that all the other channels' cv modes have been changed as well? That would be very weird.
Exactly, i select the channel i want to edit, then when i assigning the CV input mode i find this CV input mode enabled on all other channels' cv modes when i check them one by one. It would have been the most natural way to do this for me.
At the same time when reading the manual (chapter 10 CV inputs, again...), nowhere it is mentioned that you can select a specific mode for a specific channel.

That's why I'm very interested in MossGarden's post because I thought I could do that with this module before buying it but apparently I'm not doing the right thing if he succeeds in doing so.

So I'm not saying we can't do it. But it's either my brain or the module... :doh:

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:17 am

wrngtrls wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm
fruitsnake wrote:
One thing that can be a positive or negative depending on your preference is the fact that as soon as you turn a knob, it jumps to the value of the current position, as opposed to many other modules where the knob must be turned past the current value before engaging. I haven't decided if I like this or not yet.
This is becoming increasingly a thing in synths I have. Dreadbox calls this Catch and Jump modes. You seem to note that you prefer catch; I actually prefer jump because in catch mode I tend to freak out and think my modules don't work because my knob turning isn't changing the presets. Whereas with jump mode, it's way harder to figure out how presets were designed, but at least I know the module's working! Also, you encounter the extremes of an instrument rather early, which is, agreed, super confusing at first, but creates a steep learning curve that pays off.

My MOE comes Saturday and I'm going to move it to the left of my Assimil8or, not the right, because I want to see if I can patch 1.5" cables off the right edge of my case, thread them behind the rack, and up around the left edge to patch my gate ins to Assimil8or. After that, my 4hp hole will wait patiently for a Pittsburgh Gibbon, then my 2020 Eurorack Mystery Tour will end.
There is of course a third way, as implemented by MI, proportional scaling of the value change in respect to how far the knob and the actual value are apart. No jumps, no dead zones, pretty elegant.

Cornerman
Common Wiggler

Post by Cornerman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:26 am

This is all really cool, I think I will dedicate a case to Rossum modules in the future.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 am

lihp wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:00 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:25 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 pm
OlivierWah wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:52 am
MossGarden wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:23 pm
Yes, you could use 3 CV ins set to FREQ to control the pitch of three Oscillating channels, and the other three set to QUANT to quantise incoming CV.
Maybe I miss something but in the manual I see you could have each CVs to each function or each CVs to same function (quant, freq,...), but I dont see how you can assign freq control to 3 CVs and quant control to 3 other CVs ? Maybe you cant and I dont understand something ?
Yes - I'd like some clarity on this also - can each mode be independent? From reading the manual I'm fairly sure they are not - so the example above would not be possible... but it's a deep module and I might be mistaken. Anyone from Rossum / owners able to clarify?
Channels can be independent, you just have to program each one to do what you need. If you need an envelope, then select an envelope shape, set that channel to work as a 1shot, and set it's CV input to 'TRIG'. The next channel could be an oscillator, set it's CV input to 'FREQ' and send it a 1v/Oct sequence. Then if you don't have a 1v/oct sequence, send a s&h into a third channel input set to 'quant', apply the quantisation settings you need and then self patch it into our oscillating channels 'FREQ' CV input.
Even if I'm reassured by what you say because it must be possible to do so, for sure you must have understood some things better than me... :hmm:
On my side, I've had this module for a couple of days, I don't see how do you set a channel's CV input mode independently of the others. When i select a CV input mode by double-clicking and hold the OPTION button and select the desired mode, this mode applies to all channels. So if i choose 'FREQ', i have this mode enabled for all channels' CV inputs even if I'm not in Hex Mode.
You say that you can set a channel's CV input to 'FREQ', another channel's CV input set to 'TRIG, another set to 'QUANT''... maybe i miss something but I would really like to be able to do this.

Thank you if you can light my way.
Only have the channel you want to adjust selected, if you double click HEX, it will select all/deselect all channels for editing which may help clear things up. From there select that one channel you want to set it's CV input mode, this will apply your input choice to that single channel.

lihp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lihp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am

MossGarden wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 am
lihp wrote:
MossGarden wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:
OlivierWah wrote:
MossGarden wrote:
Yes, you could use 3 CV ins set to FREQ to control the pitch of three Oscillating channels, and the other three set to QUANT to quantise incoming CV.
Maybe I miss something but in the manual I see you could have each CVs to each function or each CVs to same function (quant, freq,...), but I dont see how you can assign freq control to 3 CVs and quant control to 3 other CVs ? Maybe you cant and I dont understand something ?
Yes - I'd like some clarity on this also - can each mode be independent? From reading the manual I'm fairly sure they are not - so the example above would not be possible... but it's a deep module and I might be mistaken. Anyone from Rossum / owners able to clarify?
Channels can be independent, you just have to program each one to do what you need. If you need an envelope, then select an envelope shape, set that channel to work as a 1shot, and set it's CV input to 'TRIG'. The next channel could be an oscillator, set it's CV input to 'FREQ' and send it a 1v/Oct sequence. Then if you don't have a 1v/oct sequence, send a s&h into a third channel input set to 'quant', apply the quantisation settings you need and then self patch it into our oscillating channels 'FREQ' CV input.
Even if I'm reassured by what you say because it must be possible to do so, for sure you must have understood some things better than me... :hmm:
On my side, I've had this module for a couple of days, I don't see how do you set a channel's CV input mode independently of the others. When i select a CV input mode by double-clicking and hold the OPTION button and select the desired mode, this mode applies to all channels. So if i choose 'FREQ', i have this mode enabled for all channels' CV inputs even if I'm not in Hex Mode.
You say that you can set a channel's CV input to 'FREQ', another channel's CV input set to 'TRIG, another set to 'QUANT''... maybe i miss something but I would really like to be able to do this.

Only have the channel you want to adjust selected, if you double click HEX, it will select all/deselect all channels for editing which may help clear things up. From there select that one channel you want to set it's CV input mode, this will apply your input choice to that single channel.
Thank you very much for your answer but I confirm that even when I do this on my side all channels have the same CV input mode after i've selected one mode on a single channel. My choice is always applied for all channels. So I guess I have a problem with my module if you can do that.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm

lihp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am
MossGarden wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:19 am
lihp wrote:
MossGarden wrote:
OHEXOH wrote:
OlivierWah wrote:
MossGarden wrote:

Thank you very much for your answer but I confirm that even when I do this on my side all channels have the same CV input mode after i've selected one mode on a single channel. My choice is always applied for all channels. So I guess I have a problem with my module if you can do that.
I'd drop Rossum an email and check in with them just to be sure. I know one of their employees checks this thread now and again so they may get to you first.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:40 pm

LunaticSound wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:17 am
wrngtrls wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:31 pm
fruitsnake wrote:
There is of course a third way, as implemented by MI, proportional scaling of the value change in respect to how far the knob and the actual value are apart. No jumps, no dead zones, pretty elegant.
Interesting. I have no MI modules, but your description of this does sound pretty elegant and nuanced. Very nifty.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 pm

MossGarden wrote:
I have the MoE and I am unable to replicate what you are describing, if I double click & hold Option and then choose a CV in mode it seems to change it for all 6 channels. This seems to be confirmed in the manual ("CV Inputs operate in one of six modes"). However earlier in the manual it suggests the opposite (Mob of Emus "Gives you six channels of oscillators, triggers etc... in any combination." The manual also then says "In addition to being able to independently program the function of each individual channel".)

Damn. There's a big chance I could just be doing it all wrong as the module is very confusing and the manual tells a wide story where it's hard just to grasp a do this, then do this and then do that - voila. Some walkthroughs by Rossum would be very welcomed - and a confirmation that what MossGarden is saying is possible or not. :cry:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:53 pm

lihp wrote:

You're not going mad - this is what I am experiencing also.

AXN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AXN » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Wow....for everyone doubting to buy one / don't know what to expect; just buy! Didn't know what to expect either (But love all other Rossum modules), but damn plugged it in for just 5 minutes now, but never had this instant smile for a module until now haha. :) Now let's dive in.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:36 pm

Mine just arrived as well so I'll be digging in tonight.. I've read over the manual a bunch and it has been a bit reiterative of how it functions. I plan to get a video done over the weekend.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:39 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:53 pm
lihp wrote:

You're not going mad - this is what I am experiencing also.
Ok, I was just trying out a new patch and realized that in fact the cv input mode is universal and cannot be set to different settings per channel. Re-reading some of the previous posts by the Rossum rep in this thread I noticed that they never actually say you can set the cv inputs to different modes, but the manual really does make it sound like you can with the way it's worded. I guess it's just bad copy; gotta be more specific about that function.

I will probably be selling mine now since the whole point for me was being able to set each channel to a different cv input mode. It was soooo close to being the perfect module. I'll keep it if there's a prompt promise of a firmware update that allows per-channel cv input selection, but otherwise this will have been the biggest let-down of 2020 (and that's really saying something).

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Agreed - the way it's worded is misleading. Whilst it's not a deal breaker for me, if this could be added I could see how this module would get 6x better - a Mega Mob of Emus ;)

I'm hoping something as simple as holding a channel button and pressing the relevant CV In type button could be a solution from a UI point of view.

I can't wait for the dBVelocity video guide as right now I need it! :mrgreen:

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:10 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:49 pm
MossGarden wrote:
I have the MoE and I am unable to replicate what you are describing, if I double click & hold Option and then choose a CV in mode it seems to change it for all 6 channels. This seems to be confirmed in the manual ("CV Inputs operate in one of six modes"). However earlier in the manual it suggests the opposite (Mob of Emus "Gives you six channels of oscillators, triggers etc... in any combination." The manual also then says "In addition to being able to independently program the function of each individual channel".)
You’re right to be confused by the manual. I also noticed the contradictions you pointed out. If the channels AREN’T independent, my interest in this module drops significantly.

As disappointing as it is, that’s probably how it’s meant to be. The name likely offers a clue. It’s not called Six Free-thinking, Independently-minded Emus.
Last edited by Del on Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lihp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lihp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 pm

Sincerely thanks to everyone for your answers, I also sent an email to Rossum to have more explanations about per-channel CV inputs mode selection as described by MossGarden.

I will post their answer here.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I have this on order via Perfect Circuit, and am trying to understand what people's issue is. Are you saying that, say, you are using all six as oscillators, then all the CV ins have to be the same one of six options (waveshape, gain, etc)? If you are using three oscillators, two LFOs and one envelope (for example), are you able to specify what the CVs for different TYPES of functions are? Meaning, if you want to have the CV adjust the waveshape of the oscillators, will it also ONLY be the same function on the LFOs and the envelope? Or am I missing what the complaint is?

I was under the impression that the Hex setting adjusted them all together via each of the labeled CV inputs, but each individual function (again, oscillator, LFO, etc) could have its individual CV adjusted by pushing or holding a combination of buttons and then turning its corresponding knob (or pushing/holding the button for its corresponding parameter to change...forget which). Are you saying that this just does not work at all?

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 am

I sat down with the Mob tonight and figured a lot out. Hopefully this post will help explain how the Mob works.

OK so what are those buttons and how do they effect the CV Ins? Essentially you have 6 to choose from and all except Multi work the same way.

Setting CV In to either Frequency / Trig / Gain / Wave and Quant via those buttons will map each CV In directly to its corresponding CV out specifically, and only for that mode. So if the mode was Trig, putting 6 gates into the 6 ins will trigger each channel independently. CV In 1 would trig channel 1. CV In 4 would trig channel 4. The rest work in the same way for the other parameters. But remember, you can only be in one mode at a time, so you can’t set channels 1, 2 and 3 to Trig, and channels 4, 5 and 6 to gain as suggested by MossGarden.

The exception is if you use Multi. With Multi you can control Frequency / Trig / Gain / Wave and Quant for all the channels. Each CV In has its corresponding parameter written in black by the CV inputs. The caveat is, each CV In controls that parameter for all channels. So if you send CV In to jack 6 you will control the frequency of all the channels. And at the same you could send another CV signal into jack 3 and control the gain of all the channels. Again it’s not full independent control but it can offer a wider set of changes from the cv inputs.

Going beyond that and into manual control, you can select channels and adjust their individual parameters independently from the other channels via the knobs. So maybe you want channel 5 to be a saw 2 octaves higher than the other channels. You can do that by selecting channel 5 and turning the wave and octave knobs.

A good way to create a starting point is to select all channels (double click Hex or manually select them) and adjust all the knobs, this sets all channels to the same knob position (you can also do a specific reset via the utility menu and a button press too).

I haven’t quite figured out Hex yet as I think it has some special properties but in general you are controlling all channels on a macro level.

I hope this helps.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:40 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:13 am

I haven’t quite figured out Hex yet as I think it has some special properties but in general you are controlling all channels on a macro level.
What about Mixed Mode? Mixed mode seems to be different than Multi or Hex:
"When Hex mode is enabled and one or more channels are selected, all parameter edits will affect the selected channels, not the Hex layer. However, Mob of Emus will continue to apply the Hex layer offsets and modifications, allowing you to make edits to the individual channels while hearing the effects of the Hex Mode offsets."

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:56 am

One thing that is frustrating me (and it may be user error)...

If I'm using a channel as an oscillator and select a higher freq range using the option button / octave knob (octave 2x) , when I then go to adjust the freq knob the octave 2x setting is lost.

It's really annoying

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:36 am

OHEXOH wrote:
But remember, you can only be in one mode at a time, so you can’t set channels 1, 2 and 3 to Trig, and channels 4, 5 and 6 to gain as suggested by MossGarden.
This would be my gross misunderstanding of the manual then :hihi:

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:41 am

Just got mine...I like the nice big boxes that Rossum-Electro packs their modules in, and the nice laminated quick start guide. Will begin the massive overhaul of the main rack today to get this to fit where I need it to. Then three more smaller ones on the way, and my main rack is completely full.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:45 am

wrngtrls wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:40 am
OHEXOH wrote:

What about Mixed Mode? Mixed mode seems to be different than Multi or Hex:
"When Hex mode is enabled and one or more channels are selected, all parameter edits will affect the selected channels, not the Hex layer. However, Mob of Emus will continue to apply the Hex layer offsets and modifications, allowing you to make edits to the individual channels while hearing the effects of the Hex Mode offsets."
Sounds clear, you can edit the base values of specific channel parameters whilst in HEX mode. The HEX mode applies offsets on top of those base values - but does not change the base values themselves.

lihp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lihp » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:27 am

This is Rossum’s answer about CV inputs mode :
« No, this is not an issue with your hardware unit.
Yes, CV input modes are assigned globally in the current software.« 
So the debate is closed. But you will notice like me « In the current software ». ;)

lihp
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lihp » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:05 pm

drxcm wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:56 am
One thing that is frustrating me (and it may be user error)...

If I'm using a channel as an oscillator and select a higher freq range using the option button / octave knob (octave 2x) , when I then go to adjust the freq knob the octave 2x setting is lost.

It's really annoying
I can confirm that this has happened to me once or twice. But I'm not sure if I did or did not do anything wrong.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”