Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:05 pm

Well the knob parameter jump is surely the culprit behind that and it seems the knobs are super sensitive at times.. but everything pretty well works as expected that I can find..

Except... On page 24 of the manual, the Note under Triggering Individual Channel's suggests you can have it in latched option 1 mode then simply trigger a channel manually without holding Option down. This does not appear to be the case. Clicking any channel will select or deselect it despite any latched or unlatched mode and the only independent manual trigger is achieved by holding down the Option button and then pressing the channel button.

It's easy to set a channel to one shot mode, in any shape (envelope is good here though), and send it to the pitch or something that is very audible to try this out.

Anyways it's small and I'm fine with selecting channels for edit without triggering them regardless of the mode. But maybe a request here is to make option 2 mode have the selected channels trigger from the Tap/ trig and not the hex trig like in option 1 mode.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 pm

I’m curious: are you owners of this module into it? Do you think you’ll use it? If so, what do you see yourself doing with it? Honestly, it seems a bit unfocused and unicorny to me.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:52 pm

I'm absolutely into it.. The factory preset #2 for the "super saw" is sweet. There are also tons of wonderful harmonic/ additive tones that are quite awesome. Feed any of these tone setups into a bit of delay/ reverb and it gets very cool. This is where I'll likely be using it the most.

The frequency range is absurd when using all modifiers to offset with a high going a bit over 23k ..and an extreme low at 36.4 hrs per cycle, so the poly rhythm stuff with that and random/variations can be quite long/ evolving if using it for triggers.

It's sort of doing a lot but is really a bank of oscillators with very very wide flexibility. Having 2 of them would make it easier to dedicate one for modulation / triggers and the other for audio but you can get that in a single preset with the only caveat being the global cv mode as discussed earlier here. e.g. only v/oct control for all channels even though you may want envelope triggers for another.. .. And the multi cv mode is controlling ALL channels for the various cv controls. Indeed, it's aimed at being a bank of 6 oscillators that play in tandem. They simply allow you to split them up for independent stuff.

I'm still working out a video with some more shoot tonight and a bunch of editing.. I'll post when it's done.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 pm

Del wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:06 pm
I’m curious: are you owners of this module into it? Do you think you’ll use it? If so, what do you see yourself doing with it? Honestly, it seems a bit unfocused and unicorny to me.
I'm still waiting for Fedex, but I'm getting it for the polyrhythmic gates. I have nothing that does euclidean or probabilistic stuff, I just have clock dividers that aren't really proper gates. I was on the fence about the Heuristic Rhythm from ADDAC, and I'm a fan of Rossum stuff because they just have their stuff together. If you look at the Assimil8or thread, it was all WHOA and then WAIT, BUT... and then YEAH, WELL... and now its all YO, THIS THING! And that will probably happen with this ostrich squad thingy too. For me, who basically just has a bunch of modular-friendly synths, this is welcomed connective tissue in 16hp.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 pm

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:52 pm
I'm absolutely into it.. The factory preset #2 for the "super saw" is sweet. There are also tons of wonderful harmonic/ additive tones that are quite awesome. Feed any of these tone setups into a bit of delay/ reverb and it gets very cool. This is where I'll likely be using it the most.

The frequency range is absurd when using all modifiers to offset with a high going a bit over 23k ..and an extreme low at 36.4 hrs per cycle, so the poly rhythm stuff with that and random/variations can be quite long/ evolving if using it for triggers.

It's sort of doing a lot but is really a bank of oscillators with very very wide flexibility. Having 2 of them would make it easier to dedicate one for modulation / triggers and the other for audio but you can get that in a single preset with the only caveat being the global cv mode as discussed earlier here. e.g. only v/oct control for all channels even though you may want envelope triggers for another.. .. And the multi cv mode is controlling ALL channels for the various cv controls. Indeed, it's aimed at being a bank of 6 oscillators that play in tandem. They simply allow you to split them up for independent stuff.

I'm still working out a video with some more shoot tonight and a bunch of editing.. I'll post when it's done.

Cool. I’m looking forward to seeing that.

I think that if there is a possibility of a firmware update that allows it to operate in a few modes simultaneously, that will make all the difference to me. Then I see it serving as a bit of a beastly monkey wrench module, versatile enough for even a small set-up. I’m sure it’s already plenty fun, but I’ll wait.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:32 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:21 pm
Del wrote:
I'm still waiting for Fedex, but I'm getting it for the polyrhythmic gates. I have nothing that does euclidean or probabilistic stuff, I just have clock dividers that aren't really proper gates. I was on the fence about the Heuristic Rhythm from ADDAC, and I'm a fan of Rossum stuff because they just have their stuff together. If you look at the Assimil8or thread, it was all WHOA and then WAIT, BUT... and then YEAH, WELL... and now its all YO, THIS THING! And that will probably happen with this ostrich squad thingy too. For me, who basically just has a bunch of modular-friendly synths, this is welcomed connective tissue in 16hp.
Ha. That’s interesting about the Assimil8or. Looked too complex and menu / button -heavy for me.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:02 am

Gotta admit... I, too, just love the name of this module. :razz:
-n :ninja:

My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on Discord

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:02 am

Waveforms seem ‘impure’. Anyone noticed the spike on the Square or the saw waves?

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:32 am

Del wrote:
I’m curious: are you owners of this module into it?
Very much so

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:49 am

Still learning/exploring it. I just bought the Triad expander for the Arpitecht, so for now, all I have used the MOE (can we call it that?) for is the four voices for this module and expander. Still need to figure out what to DO with those voices.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:30 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:05 pm
On page 24 of the manual, the Note under Triggering Individual Channel's suggests you can have it in latched option 1 mode then simply trigger a channel manually without holding Option down. This does not appear to be the case. Clicking any channel will select or deselect it despite any latched or unlatched mode and the only independent manual trigger is achieved by holding down the Option button and then pressing the channel button.

It's easy to set a channel to one shot mode, in any shape (envelope is good here though), and send it to the pitch or something that is very audible to try this out.

Anyways it's small and I'm fine with selecting channels for edit without triggering them regardless of the mode. But maybe a request here is to make option 2 mode have the selected channels trigger from the Tap/ trig and not the hex trig like in option 1 mode.
After some correspondence, I learned you can indeed trigger the individual channels while in latched mode without holding Option down.. so.. When the output viewer is active it works. I had disabled it which is toggled by a momentary hold of the Hex button. So there is that.. I still like the idea of having selected channels trigger in option 2 for an alternate to the hex trigger.

Also, the true independent cv control would absolutely make this killer. I do have to wonder how it could be implemented into the already dense UI.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:00 am

Some decent demo videos would go a long way. The two they’ve put out – pardon me for saying so – don’t do a very good job of selling it.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:41 am

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:00 am
Are you a funky homosapien?

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:17 pm

Del wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:00 am
Some decent demo videos would go a long way. The two they’ve put out – pardon me for saying so – don’t do a very good job of selling it.
They worked for me.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:40 pm

Looks amazing and I just got Trident and Morpheus Z Plane filter which are superb modules. Definitely on my wish list along with the Assimil8or.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:43 pm

This is one confusing module and it's not getting any easier to use / understand :doh:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Wondering if any owners of the Mob can help demystify Hex mode. I understand the concept (you can offset all the channels at once) but what throws me off is the relationship between independent mode and Hex mode. More often than not when switching into Hex mode, there is a sudden change in all the values. It makes me think that going between these two modes is not expected behavior and instead each mode should be viewed as discreet from one another (even though there is interplay going on).

Any tips welcomed.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am

So is the Mob of Emus like the Trident times two? I just got the Trident which is a fun great sounding triple oscillator but does not have the cool LFO modulation features in the MOE.
My music:

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:59 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:20 pm
Wondering if any owners of the Mob can help demystify Hex mode. I understand the concept (you can offset all the channels at once) but what throws me off is the relationship between independent mode and Hex mode. More often than not when switching into Hex mode, there is a sudden change in all the values. It makes me think that going between these two modes is not expected behavior and instead each mode should be viewed as discreet from one another (even though there is interplay going on).

Any tips welcomed.
As you say..Hex mode is providing an offset for most parameters and thus has it's own values stored.. Also it overrides the HARM#, WAVE -unless set for null, and etc.

This is the difference from having all channels selected for edit ( double click of hex) vs hex control.

I concur that they are generally viewed as separate but with interplay, though you could make use of the changes that Hex can inject as a type of preset within the preset.. yet I've noticed a lag in loading values be it from this or just presets in general.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:36 am

mixxalot wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am
So is the Mob of Emus like the Trident times two? I just got the Trident which is a fun great sounding triple oscillator but does not have the cool LFO modulation features in the MOE.
Trident is three analog oscillators. MOE doesn't boast six analog oscillators. There's some digital gimmickry, no? Some copy I read said "analog style waveforms," which just means they're geometric to me. They're probably definitely hybrid circuits.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:58 am

The manual states that the basic shapes are anti aliased which suggests a digital structure.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:25 pm

Thanks for the reply dB. Last night I spent a lot of time with the Mob and it's finally starting to click. Seeing the two modes as independent (yet related) really helped and I tried just working in one or the other. In fact working in Hex mode and setting both offsets and independent channel settings seemed the most fluid. It is very powerful so much so that it can feel overwhelming if you try and get it to do everything. As soon as I simplified my ideas I found I was more successful in achieving results that I understood.

As a side note - what knobs do Rossum use for their modules? As much as I like the feel of the knobs they use, they can be a little too large for the space their occupy. I'm wondering if there are any narrower knob options out there that people might recommend?

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:27 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 am
Consider the Mob's wave shapes are fixed so there's no pulse width modulation or wave blending (if the Trident offers that - I've not used one).

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:30 pm

I see thanks for the insight can you upload your own custom wave forms like is possible with the IME Piston Honda and Kermit on the Mob of Emus?
My music:

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:46 pm

mixxalot wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:30 pm
I see thanks for the insight can you upload your own custom wave forms like is possible with the IME Piston Honda and Kermit on the Mob of Emus?
You can load wav format samples into Assimil8or, but not Mob of Emus.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”