Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Post by mixxalot » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 pm

Ah gotcha well I took the plunge today for end of year sale at Patchwerks and ordered the Mob of Emus along with Angle Grinder and some other stuff. I have really been enjoying my Rossum Trident and Morpheus Z Plane filter so I am confident the MOE will be great fun. Maybe end of next year get the Assimil8or and another sequencer.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 am

Despite some reservations (for one, the suspicion that this might be a jack of all trades, master of none type of thing, or even a jack that is cluttered and conceptually half-baked), I'm pretty tempted to get this module, just to have fun figuring it all out. But I'll be looking at it more like a puzzle or science project than as a music tool, at least initially. It seems like it will require patience and an inquisitive attitude.

For future reference, can anyone who's updated a module like this one before tell me how touchy the procedure is? Can I go from a headphone jack on my computer and, through a stereo-to-mono adapter, into the module? Or from an iphone with some adapter or other? What's the easiest way?

Thanks.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:51 am

i've updated my morpheus with a mono send from my computer soundcard, player winamp - not touchy, very straightforward

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:29 am

I dismantled my setup a bit in order to focus on a few modules in a smaller case while spending time with the wife (she was watching Cobra Kai), and tried to use MOE to trigger samples on my Bitbox...and...welp...I am still unclear on how this is supposed to work. I tried to use the third set of options/waves with the drum patterns, and unless I am stupid, there is no visual representation of which "page" I was on. Plus I did not have a clock source, and I think the tap kinda sorta acts like a clock by somehow using the time between the taps to define frequency, which somehow then is extrapolated into a tempo. And short of re-tapping, the only way to alter temp is by using the octave, fine tune and harm knobs. But these did not seem to get to any type of usable tempo, and the drum patterns always seemed to not be hitting/triggering where the pattern showed that they were supposed to be hitting. Plus, the wave knob involves a bit of guesswork.

Eh....I really got this for the six quantizers and the six oscillators, and so far, I do not see myself using this for much more than that. Is it worth $400 for six digital oscillators/quantizers? Dunno.

Can anyone tell me what I can use the envelopes for? Still new-ish to modular...I have an AD and an ADSR, plus about six LFOs, but nothing like Maths or any other envelope generator, so not sure what to use them for. Can you use them as gates in a VCA? As a very specific slope instead of an LFO? Please help me get some more function out of this module.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:53 am

Here is an explanation of the Tap functionality from page 11:
Sequentially clicking the Tap/Trig button while in Hex Mode (with no individual channels selected) will set the Hex Mode Frequency parameter. Mob of Emus will average the period between your clicks to derive the frequency. You can think of this as a real-time “tap tempo” function.

NOTE: If you are not in Hex Mode, clicking the button will have no effect on Hex Mode frequency (but will set the frequency of any selected channels — see the next note).

THE NEXT NOTE: Whether you are in Hex mode or not, if any channels are selected for editing, sequentially clicking the Tap/Trig button will set the frequencies of those selected channels. Selecting channels sequentially and clicking the Tap/Trig button for each is a quick way to set up the frequencies of the different channels.
Here is an explanation of the visual indication from page 13:
When in Option 1 mode (either by holding the Option button or when latched), the Hex LED blinks at 4 Hz to indicate that. When in Option 2 mode, the LED blinks at 8 Hz.
http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 201117.pdf

In addition to the frequency controls, there is the phase control that should be set to full counterclockwise when you want patterns to begin at the beginning.

If your VCAs output silence with 0 V at their CV inputs and full level with 5 V, the 0-5V envelopes ought be be excellent for your VCAs. You can patch the envelopes to modulate any CV input in your system.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:59 am

Del wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 am
For future reference, can anyone who's updated a module like this one before tell me how touchy the procedure is?
It’s easy!
Del wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:47 am
Can I go from a headphone jack on my computer and, through a stereo-to-mono adapter, into the module? Or from an iphone with some adapter or other? What's the easiest way?

Thanks.
You can use a regular mono patch cable (the kind you use in your eurorack system) from a computer or an iPhone (and the Apple lighting to headphone adapter works great with the newer iPhones that don’t have a built in headphone jack). We find that going directly from a computer or phone is the most convenient way. It also works great to play the software files from (and to sample preset data from Mob of Emus into) Assimil8or.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 am

Peng33 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:29 am
And short of re-tapping, the only way to alter temp is by using the octave, fine tune and harm knobs. But these did not seem to get to any type of usable tempo, and the drum patterns always seemed to not be hitting/triggering where the pattern showed that they were supposed to be hitting. Plus, the wave knob involves a bit of guesswork.

Eh....I really got this for the six quantizers and the six oscillators, and so far, I do not see myself using this for much more than that. Is it worth $400 for six digital oscillators/quantizers? Dunno.

Can anyone tell me what I can use the envelopes for? Still new-ish to modular...I have an AD and an ADSR, plus about six LFOs, but nothing like Maths or any other envelope generator, so not sure what to use them for. Can you use them as gates in a VCA? As a very specific slope instead of an LFO? Please help me get some more function out of this module.
I don't have a Bitbox, but I have an Assimil8or, and basically every type of OUT can trigger and control the samples. Made this an hour ago, where every trigger and every modulation are controlled by the MOE. A pinged MMF-1S and two loaded samples are the sound sources:

Quick note: I do not understand this module at all. But it is loads of fun and very useful. I would call the experience of using it a little uncanny, because I'm confused but not frustrated, and I keep not knowing anything and it keeps doing things that I can't anticipate but in a very interesting and pleasant way. It's a strange and powerful instrument.

PS, the computer on the back of this thing was noticeably very heavy for its size.
PPS The PCB board has a mob of metal emus.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:02 am

wrngtrls wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:43 am

Quick note: I do not understand this module at all. But it is loads of fun and very useful. I would call the experience of using it a little uncanny, because I'm confused but not frustrated, and I keep not knowing anything and it keeps doing things that I can't anticipate but in a very interesting and pleasant way. It's a strange and powerful instrument.
Ha. This is exactly what I'm expecting from this thing, for better or worse. I took the plunge and ordered it, though it seems a bit riskier of a bet than I usually make. It was my curiosity more than anything it's proven to be able to do in the couple of demos I saw that persuaded me. Even the manual left me with more confusion than understanding. If it's fun to try to come to grips with, that will probably satisfy me. If it turns out to have a lot of utility, icing on the cake.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:29 am
Another trick (without really knowing how to use the module): If you have a bunch of outs making either/both drum patterns or drones, but you have an extra out (there are six, so this is likely), drop the open OUT into the HOLD of an S+H. Mult/Dup the S+H out to create one OUT for PITCH on a pair oscillator and the second out for GATE on the ADSR for that oscillator. Viola: INSANT JAZZ BAND! This creates a brainy BASS or MELODY line for what was before pleasing but feral beats and drones.

Spare LFOs go really well into the VARIANT in. I find that everything I put in the TRIGGER makes the thing go nuts in an unusable, take-it-out-immediately kind of way.

Preset 4 is my favorite - how do I make more presets like preset 4? No idea yet.

Why is the PRESET TRIG channel #3 but the INPUT TRIG function #2? Odd. Still loads of fun!
Last edited by wrngtrls on Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:23 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:58 pm

Preset 4 is my favorite - how do I make more presets like preset 4? No idea yet.
Here is what the manual says about factory preset 4 on page 37:
4. Rhythm: 4/4 Drums with Variation

Rhythmic trigger patterns using the patterns in Wave Bank 3 and the Variation function. Patch individual outs to trigger inputs of audio sources. Channel 1 is low drum, Channel 2 next higher, to highest on Channel 6.

> Adjust Variation to either side of 12 o’clock and listen to its effect.

> Select individual channels and change their pattern (within Wave Bank 3) or their Harmonic # to vary the polyrhythmic patterns.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:05 pm

One way to make more presets which can be the simplest is to use your favorite as a template, dial in the parameters then save to another slot, rinse and repeat.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:53 am

Was this module thoroughly "play tested"? Right now, I feel like it is a little like the Soma Lyra — it mostly does what it wants to do. Which can be fun if you enjoy trying to rein in modules that don't want to be reined in, but not so fun if you want to get it to do simple tasks. I ask if it was tested because there seem to be things that I can imagine people requesting or asking about. I can’t imagine anybody being enamored of this thing out of the box. I can’t imagine anyone not scratching his head.

For one, why can't Option parameters be cv controlled (when latched, for example)? In oscillator mode, warp and series would be interesting to control. There is not much going on here in the oscillator, cv wise, without them, IMO, other than the gain of the partials (cv-ing between waveforms gives you clicks), and yet those more interesting parameters are not cv controllable.

Likewise in LFO mode, it would be nice to control DC and warp. In "everyday use," it's more likely you'd want to make patterns where the scale or chord type stays the same but you rotate through a series of 3 or 4 root pitches — than change scales by cv.

Secondly - Hex mode does not interact with non-Hex mode the way you'd expect it to — the way I would expect it to, at least. Once you get a bunch of things set in regular mode, turning Hex mode on should not upset parameters you've already set. I don't quite understand what it reverts to and how you’re meant to use them together, but it seems useless to go back and forth. Maybe I'm missing something. I find it more useful to work with individual oscillators and sometimes select all. Maybe it’s more for oscillator mode? Even there, the relationship between hex and non-hex does not feel like anything intuitively understandable.

I also thought of the Lyra when using the quantized LFO mode. You’ll find that three different knobs will control the speed of the arpeggio. And sometimes, maybe because of settings elsewhere (?), you find that things don’t always work as they did before. I thought I understood something basic — if you turn quantize all the way to 0, you should have a smooth, unstepped waveform, right? I thought so, but sometimes apparently not. Quite frustrating when something that should be straightforward seems contingent on some parameter lost in the chaos.

As a function generator, it does in a very ungainly way what Quadrax, for example, does very easily and intuitively. To set up a simple LFO or envelope, I feel I have to check the position of each knob and dial it in with several button and knob combinations, including the laborious double-click and turn knob below half to select one-shot envelopes. And keep in mind, if it’s an envelope you’re dealing with, you’ll be able to trigger it — that’s it. No cv for rise, fall, shape. Everything has to be done by hand. Maybe there’s a way to use multi mode to have more control over a single envelope…? I don’t know.

So, first impressions not too favorable. One last Lyra comparison. When you use the Lyra, though things work in unexpected ways and you find yourself playing by intuition rather than understanding, the key thing is: you often get exciting moments that reward you for twiddling with it. I’m not certain, after 8+ hours of using MoE as the main module, that I had any similar Wow moments. There’s a lot going on, but maybe not much gestalt.

Sorry, this turned out to be long. And slightly critical — I know some people don't like critical. I hope some of my frustrations get cleared up, but I have to say it feels to me a bit half-baked. I hope there are some crucial things I haven’t yet learned. I'm sure there are. Maybe I'll have an aha! moment. Otherwise, I'll be hoping a firmware update improves it a bit.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:51 am

Hex Mode provides a macro control layer that allows you
to control all of Mob of Emus’ channels simultaneously (while, in most cases, maintaining the relationships of each channel’s independent programming).

The Hex button toggles Hex Mode on and off. The associated LED lights steadily to indicate Hex Mode is active.

NOTE: While one of the Options Modes is latched on, the LED instead flashes to indicate that. When an Option Mode is unlatched, the LED will return to indicating the Hex Mode state.

While in Hex Mode, the real-time controls will offset the individual channels’ values for the following parameters (adding or subtracting from them as appropriate):

Frequency
Octave
Phase
Variation
DC
Offset

While in Hex Mode, the real-time controls will override the individual channels’ values for the following parameters:

Wave (unless “Ø” is selected)

Harmonic Series (sets all channels’ Harmonic #)

Mixed Mode

When Hex mode is enabled and one or more channels are selected, all parameter edits will affect the selected channels, not the Hex layer. However, Mob of Emus will continue to apply the Hex layer offsets and modifications, allowing you to make edits to the individual channels while hearing the effects of the Hex Mode offsets.
pg. 22 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 201117.pdf
Clicking the Hex button while an Option mode is active latches the Option mode. That is, you can release the Option button and Option mode continues to be active, letting you adjust multiple Option mode parameters without having to hold down the Option button.
When an Option mode is latched, clicking the Hex button unlatches it, returning the module to primary mode.
pg. 13 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 201117.pdf

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Ok, it's finally here...

I've condensed nearly the entire manual into a 15 min watch then proceed with examples and some of my thoughts. I still recommend you read the manual. This hopefully just helps get users up to speed.

Last edited by dBVelocity on Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:57 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 pm
Ok, it's finally here...

I've condensed nearly the entire manual into a 25 min watch

FTFY

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:45 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:55 pm
Ok, it's finally here...
:woah:

Thanks for taking the time to do this extremly helpful tutorial!

:party:

tardwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tardwash » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:50 pm

This tutorial is a lifesaver. Thanks. I bought this before reading through the this thread. I'm pleasantly surprised to learn it will work with my Easel Command. Hopefully, I can get to grips with it over the holidays.

Mad_Rasputin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mad_Rasputin » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:30 am

:omg:

All I need to know is if I use it as 6 separate oscillators with 6 separate 1v/oct input, 1 for each oscillator. I can figure out the rest later if it can do this very crucial thing
:cloud: Life is good!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyy!

:cloud: This is fun!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyy!

:omg: My anus.. is bleeding!

:cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: Yayyyyy!

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:57 am

Mad_Rasputin wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:30 am
All I need to know is if I use it as 6 separate oscillators with 6 separate 1v/oct input, 1 for each oscillator. I can figure out the rest later if it can do this very crucial thing
Yes! You can use the FREQ CV input mode to do this.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:31 am

I'm trying to decide between this and the 4ms ensemble osc. Yea, i know, get both.. :hyper:

Only two things holding me back.... running out of room and money.
:doh:

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:47 am

glennfin wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:31 am
I'm trying to decide between this and the 4ms ensemble osc. Yea, i know, get both.. :hyper:

Only two things holding me back.... running out of room and money.
:doh:
I want the ensemble oscillator, too! I would say, if you're going to use MoE primarily as an oscillator, the Ensemble Oscillator would be a better way to go. Very little is cv controllable on MoE — the interesting things are not. The only things you can do with cv are controlling the gain of the harmonics and phase. I wouldn't use cv to control wave shape because the transitions are not smooth and introduce clicks. You have do do the interesting modulation on the knobs by hand. I don't get it, personally. I've already mentioned this in a post above.

I put a lot of time into this module in the last few days. It seems like an oscillator with not an awful lot of interest (if you're not modulating it by hand, as I said), a fun quantizer, a function generator that is a lot of work (because of the ranges, the two or three use knobs, and how you can't count on anything being "where it was," it's not something you can just plug in a mod destination; you need a scope or you need to dial it in somewhere audible first, to see what you're getting).

I bought it as a science project and i have had fun playing with it, getting used to its awkwardnesses. But I do think it's quite awkward.

perx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by perx » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 am

I am thinking about replacing my Kermit mk3 with this but it seems it wouldnt be nearly as easy to use from what everyone is saying?

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:19 pm

I just started learning to use mine and it is a very fun chaos type function generator the way I use it.

Now I admit that I don't know what I am doing half the time but really enjoying how mad this crazy module behaves and made some mess with Trident last night after a few holiday drinks. I need to go re-read the manuals more and spend more time with it.
My music:

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Del wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:47 am
I wouldn't use cv to control wave shape because the transitions are not smooth and introduce clicks.
I agree, modulating Wave seems like a very odd choice considering there’s no wave blending/morphing. Hopefully blending/morphing can be added to make this modulation point useable. Until then, it’s not.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:51 pm

perx wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:57 am
I am thinking about replacing my Kermit mk3 with this but it seems it wouldnt be nearly as easy to use from what everyone is saying?
Kermit while complex is way easier to use in spite of the small screen and menu diving.
My music:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”