Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Rossum Electro-Music Mob of Emus

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Wave selection is useful for the patterns and even envelopes, as I too wondered about this. I can imagine some separation on notes and using a control forge/satellite would bring some more ability to the classic waves.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Try using the CV control of the Wave parameter while channels are set to envelopes and pattern shapes (from the second and third bank). The envelope shapes are organized in order of attack time and all have the same overall length, which you can control with frequency manual controls or CV. CV control of the pattern shapes, along with using Variation and the Harm# or Series controls to set them with polyrhythmic relationships, creates rhythmic interest in the patch.

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:10 pm

I’d love to understand what pressing the hex button changes after I’ve been in “non” hex mode.

Sounds as though many settings change but I would have thought they should stay as they were.

I am finding this module quite confusing and difficult to wrangle (perhaps that is what the name infers!)

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:31 pm

Hex Mode provides a macro control layer that allows you to control all of Mob of Emus’ channels simultaneously (while, in most cases, maintaining the relationships of each channel’s independent programming).

The Hex button toggles Hex Mode on and off. The associated LED lights steadily to indicate Hex Mode is active.

NOTE: While one of the Options Modes is latched on, the LED instead flashes to indicate that. When an Option Mode is unlatched, the LED will return to indicating the Hex Mode state.

While in Hex Mode, the real-time controls will offset the individual channels’ values for the following parameters (adding or subtracting from them as appropriate):

Frequency
Octave
Phase
Variation
DC
Offset

While in Hex Mode, the real-time controls will override the individual channels’ values for the following parameters:

Wave (unless “Ø” is selected)

Harmonic Series (sets all channels’ Harmonic #)

Mixed Mode

When Hex mode is enabled and one or more channels are selected, all parameter edits will affect the selected channels, not the Hex layer. However, Mob of Emus will continue to apply the Hex layer offsets and modifications, allowing you to make edits to the individual channels while hearing the effects of the Hex Mode offsets.
pg. 22 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 201117.pdf
Clicking the Hex button while an Option mode is active latches the Option mode. That is, you can release the Option button and Option mode continues to be active, letting you adjust multiple Option mode parameters without having to hold down the Option button.
When an Option mode is latched, clicking the Hex button unlatches it, returning the module to primary mode.
pg. 13 http://www.rossum-electro.com/fqlzron/w ... 201117.pdf

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:54 pm

It seems like Hex mode reduces the amplitudes of the individual outputs.

Eg setup 6 lfos in non-hex mode, engage hex, and the individual outputs are attenuated?

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:52 am

Sam Botstein wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:55 pm
Try using the CV control of the Wave parameter while channels are set to envelopes and pattern shapes (from the second and third bank). The envelope shapes are organized in order of attack time and all have the same overall length, which you can control with frequency manual controls or CV. CV control of the pattern shapes, along with using Variation and the Harm# or Series controls to set them with polyrhythmic relationships, creates rhythmic interest in the patch.
Thanks for the tip, this makes sense.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

damon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by damon » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:02 am

I want those emus so bad but they intimidate me sooo much...

Wubz
Common Wiggler

Post by Wubz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:09 pm

Pretty impressed with this module. Only really used it as oscillators .With the ability to move each osc up and down harmonic numbers, you can get some pretty mean tones out of it.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 pm

Don't fear the emus. I quickly fell in love with it despite the limitation of having only universal cv input selection.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:43 pm

It's been teased to have cv input independently selected for a future update. Which will make it far better as the multi tool it's proposed as.

I've been toying with the pattern stuff a lot and was thinking of doing a video for that. It really behaves best under the hex mode for me, though it is tricky still. Wondering what other users have experienced here regarding that.

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:01 pm

dBVelocity wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:43 pm
It's been teased to have cv input independently selected for a future update. Which will make it far better as the multi tool it's proposed as.
I thought I wanted this (the independent inputs) — I guess I still do, but the module is already quite complicated and fiddly. I keep thinking that this module was designed with an oscilloscope rather than in practical use and it also feels like it needs an oscilloscope beside it.

I should say that, though it demands to be the center of attention — and maybe FOR that reason, I've been using it a lot in different ways, and not without enjoyment. I've had fun with the tempo-scalable envelopes, for example. I think I'm basically trying to find ways to start from presets and quickly get them to useful places. It would be nice to be able to use it efficiently, but I think if you're looking for an envelope and you needed it quickly, you'd look to another module. Likewise an LFO. Like I said, it demands to be the focal point of your patch because it makes things quite labor intensive. You DECIDE to use it. In terms of utility, it's terrible.

Another negative thing (and I've made other complaints, about the oscillator, for example, earlier in this thread): it's very cramped. 2 more hp between the buttons on the right and the right column of knobs would make a big difference. I'd even like more space between the columns of knobs. You can easily touch a knob that throws something badly off when you're trying to touch a button. It's very easy to do because of the shift functions that put the knobs in places that don't correspond to where they actually are, if that makes sense.

I've made quite a few criticisms on this thread because, well, modules are expensive and I'm not one for the fawning deference I've seen given to some manufacturers around here. Modules can be better. I want manufacturers to know, for example, that ergonomics matters to me, even if the trend is toward smaller, tighter modules. BUT - I do respect the sort of playful, experimental nature of this module. If you realize that's what you're in for, this will be a fascinating module for you. In other words, despite my reservations, I would not file this in the "modules you're disappointed with" thread. It makes you think about the interrelationship of the building blocks of synthesis.

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:37 pm

Love mine and have been trying out the presets and the supersaw sounds amazing.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

Freequenz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Freequenz » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:14 am

So i finally got the MoE:)
I have played a bit around with the additive osc mode.
But now I wonder why there is no CV input for the HARM#/SERIES... Is there any way to CV modulate the HARM#/SERIES? I mean its caled a Harmonic sextet so it would be the most obwiest to have CV control over the harmonics...? Or haven't I just overlooked something in the manual...? Please give me some hint of what to do for CV modulating the HARM#/SERIES :)

Freequenz
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Freequenz » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:22 am

Also not having CV control over Option 1 and 2 is very limiting... only primary functions are provided for CV control! I feel a little disappointed of being just sitting in front of a so called complex module and hitting the wall after two hours... tought I could modulate some more complex progressions with this... but without having CV control over more than 60% of it feels quite limmiting... really hope for some updates on this CV routing possebilitys soon...

Del
Common Wiggler

Post by Del » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:27 am

My woes with this module continue, as does my fascination. But there are some concrete things that I think you should be able to do that you can't...

1) In quantization mode, why doesn't the tap/trig input function as a sample & hold? It seems that tap/trig does nothing in this mode in any of its input modes. I don't understand this. Seems like something anybody playing with the quantizer would immediately want to do.

2) Why is there no way to grab all of the voices and dial them to the exact same settings? I thought maybe selecting all when not in hex mode should at least do this, but no it doesn't. Or selecting all when IN hex mode? No. As it is, there are times when I completely "lose" a voice and the only way to get it back is to reload the preset.

Really hoping for some sort of "balance patch" for this thing. As the moment, it always wins.

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:37 pm

Double-click the Hex button to select all six channels. If all channels are selected, double-clicking the Hex button will deselect all of them.

Press and hold Tap + Hex + Option and press the preset 2 button to set parameters to default values.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:28 pm

It should also be noted that the default values of the channel's Harm# are the powers of 2 .. i.e. Channel 2 is twice the freq of 1 and so on. A quick select of all channels and a twist of that Harm# knob fully left will put them in unison.

jonbenderr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jonbenderr » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:38 am

Hello! First time poster on this forum and long time lurker. Also a HUGE newbie to eurorack.

Just wanted to make a suggestion for something simple that could be a really nice learning tool and reference for new users...

Diagrams/spreadsheets of channel and hex mode settings for the factory presets. I know this might be a bit of work but it could go so far in helping new users get acquainted with how this works. Because of the nature of how the multi functional knobs work, there is absolutely no frame of reference for how to achieve certain things.

I understand wanting to encourage experimentation, but when there are so many layers to how something functions, it is very difficult to know where to start that journey. This is absolutely not a knob per function style device that lends itself well to experimentation.

Just an opinion and something that would be nice to see. Still having fun with it.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:46 am

I keep almost buying one of these because it looks great, like a Just Friends with even more features. But I am currently borrowing a Rossum Control Forge and find it to be one of the most uniquely unmusical interfaces I have ever encountered, clearly developed with engineer brain first and musician brain as a distant afterthought, if at all. Is this musical and inviting or is it another hellish interface?
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Sam Botstein
Common Wiggler

Post by Sam Botstein » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 pm

Mob of Emus isn’t related to Control Forge. Check it out! We think you’ll love it.

fruitsnake
Common Wiggler

Post by fruitsnake » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 pm

Bath House wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:46 am
... developed with engineer brain first and musician brain as a distant afterthought, if at all. Is this musical and inviting or is it another hellish interface?
I really like that description of the UI, and I feel like it's pretty well applicable to the MOE. However, I also don't think that's necessarily bad.

I find that the Emus is great at executing a concept that I have firmly preconceived in my mind; something "engineered" you might say. But I feel like, as the poster above mentioned, the density of the interface (both physically and conceptually) makes it a module that's hard to jam with. You have to be very methodical to get "intelligible" results.

I will say also, I have lots of modules with multi-layered, obscure interfaces (W/, Nebulae2, Milky Way, Disting, USTA) and out of all of them the Emus is the one whose manual get looked at the least. Rossum wins best labeling for sure.

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:24 pm

Mob of Emus deals with harmonics, quantized scales, rhythms, transposing and so on.. all of this stuff is musical. I don't have a hard time with it where it excels as an additive voice first and foremost. Everything else is just extra bits that make it versatile.

homepoeteuro
Learning to Wiggle

Post by homepoeteuro » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:15 am

Got this module for a few days now. In combination with Instruo Harmonaig: magic.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:27 am

Yeah I got some great sounds out of it this afternoon. Awesome module.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:21 pm

Couple of questions...

1) Is there a way to sync the channels to a clock when in Individual Mode? From what I can gather, the only way to sync with other modules / system clock in Individual Mode is to manually tap the Tap/Trig button. It seems strange that there's not a more accurate way of syncing channels outside of Hex mode.

2) The knobs density on the module is pretty tight. Are there any good replacement knobs for this which anyone could recommend. Are the knobs even replaceable? I've tried removing one to see what shaft they're sat on, but they're on TIGHT.

THX
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Return to “Eurorack Modules”