Mult with CV control over output?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Mult with CV control over output?

Post by djdiscord » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm

Is there a buffered mult out there with CV control over which output it goes to? My thought is to use this to program drums with a steady pulse of gates going to different modules as they are switched by CV, I can think of a lot of other cool uses beyond this as well.

Similarly I'm wondering if there is a mixer with CV control over input.

I suppose there are ways to make this work with a matrix router or something, but I'm wondering if there is an actual module designed for this. Would be cool to have something like this with control over spread, bleed between the channels, perhaps some probability functions...
Last edited by djdiscord on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Mult with CV control over output

Post by daphnid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:03 pm

I do this kinda thing all the time with a Tangle Quartet or Sequential Switch Matrix, with just whatever passive mult is most convenient at the time. Usually just a $5 cable splitter.

Every summing VCA is just a mixer with CV control over input.

You may want to check out the Verbos Pan and Scan or the new Joranalog scanning mixer for the last bits you mentioned.

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Re: Mult with CV control over output?

Post by djdiscord » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:39 pm

daphnid wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:03 pm
I do this kinda thing all the time with a Tangle Quartet or Sequential Switch Matrix, with just whatever passive mult is most convenient at the time. Usually just a $5 cable splitter.

Every summing VCA is just a mixer with CV control over input.

You may want to check out the Verbos Pan and Scan or the new Joranalog scanning mixer for the last bits you mentioned.
Are you then able to use one CV to scan through your various outputs with the Tangle Quartet setup that you mentioned? I can't quite wrap my head around that one. Your two suggestions were pretty spot on for what I was looking for mixer wise, thanks!

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Each input needs its own CV on the Tangle. I often use the Erica Octasource (or any quadrature CV source) with it for phase related CV and scanning. Some VCAs, like the Intellijel Quad VCA, cascade the CV but it'll all be identical.

You could use a Vector Space or NLC's let's Splosh or to get a bunch of phase shifted and otherwise mangled CVs from a couple CV sources to pump into a VCA for scanning.

You're not going to get scanning with a single CV source unless you get something like the Pan and Scan. The Sequential Switch Matrix can do some really cool scanning tricks since you can send any in to any out at any time. But it's all binary on/off. There are some quad matrix VCAs that might be worth looking into as well, but unlike the SSM or Pan and Scan they'll need a ton of CV to control. Having something like Let's Splosh is great with one of them though.

I also use an SSF Blender for some scanning like functions, which is a neat little module that I got for $50.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:11 pm

Sinc Defero by Noise Engineering ....

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:21 pm

Well, to answer my own question... I just stumbled on the ALM Busy Circuits Boss Bow Two and it is basically exactly what I was imagining. Thanks anyway for the suggestions!

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Actually now that I think about it, the Befaco Muxlicer will do exactly this as well and that thing has already been on my radar for some time, haha, I'm getting senile.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:56 pm

djdiscord wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm
Is there a buffered mult out there with CV control over which output it goes to? My thought is to use this to program drums with a steady pulse of gates going to different modules as they are switched by CV, I can think of a lot of other cool uses beyond this as well.

I suppose there are ways to make this work with a matrix router or something, but I'm wondering if there is an actual module designed for this. Would be cool to have something like this with control over spread, bleed between the channels, perhaps some probability functions...
Well, yes, there is. It's just that no one calls it a mult resp. mixer; the common term is "voltage-controlled switch".

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 pm

Yeah sorry, I don't know anyone into this stuff so sometimes my terminology is bad. Learn something new every day.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:41 pm

djdiscord wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:49 pm

...snip...

...snip...
I think Void Modular's Hexagram would fit the bill for this need as expressed.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm

djdiscord wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 pm
Yeah sorry, I don't know anyone into this stuff so sometimes my terminology is bad. Learn something new every day.
Hey, no worries. I am relatively new and rely on kind Muffwigglers to help me :-) That and the the Patch & Tweak book (def worth the money...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm

pmboos wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
djdiscord wrote:
Hey, no worries. I am relatively new and rely on kind Muffwigglers to help me :-) That and the the Patch & Tweak book (def worth the money...)
Thanks, I've been meaning to check that one out. Just to be clear, when I say CV control over input, I don't mean a simple VCA, I'm looking to scan and assign multiple inputs to one output with CV control. As noted, Muxlicer or Boss Bow Two do exactly this.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:10 pm

djdiscord wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:04 pm
pmboos wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm
djdiscord wrote:
Thanks, I've been meaning to check that one out. Just to be clear, when I say CV control over input, I don't mean a simple VCA, I'm looking to scan and assign multiple inputs to one output with CV control. As noted, Muxlicer or Boss Bow Two do exactly this.
Ahhh kinda missed that... Anyway, glad you have found some gear that can potentially address what you wanted.
---

Return to “Eurorack Modules”