Loquelic Upgrade? LIP yes or no

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Loquelic Upgrade? LIP yes or no

Post by seiesdrum » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm

I wanted to hear your experience about the upgrade from the loquelic! I am really satisfied and am considering switching to the LIP! what would be the strongest reasons for the change? what experience did you have?

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Loquelic Upgrade? LIP yes or no

Post by daphnid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:41 pm

I think there's a bunch of talk on this already. Some people don't like the added complexity and loss of immediacy of the LIP. I haven't used one, but do have the LI and use it when I don't feel like trying hard lol. I have a Shapeshifter for that.

The LI is one of the most immediately satisfying modules I own, and its simplicity is one of its greatest strengths imo. But if you're willing to give some of that up for added range the LIP seems like the ticket.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Hm ok ! Plus one for LI

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 pm

seiesdrum wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:42 pm
Hm ok ! Plus one for LI
I disagree with that poster. The LIP can be just as simple as the LI. Just put it in "Free" running mode and don't trigger the envelope. Voila - original LI functionality, no added complexity or loss of immediacy.

If anything it can be simpler than the standard LI because you have tons of onboard modulation you can use and a VCA if you want which means less external patching (if you are externally patching then you need to look at voltage ranges of modules you are sending CV from to the LI as it is expecting 0-5v, i.e. no full range 0-10v modulation sources or bipolar -5v to +5v modulation sources)

I owned both and sold the LI and have never looked back. The only time the LI is better in any respect is from a size or price perspective.

scragz
Veteran Wiggler

Post by scragz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 pm

For me, LIP was *more* immediate because you didn't have to patch up all the envelopes it takes for the LI algorithms to sound good. They really need that motion to shine. I'd say it's a huge upgrade and really opens up the module.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:08 pm

Yeah I'd just read that some users here struggled with it, and even reverted back to the LI. Haven't used one. I definitely appreciate modules that have internal envelopes.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 pm

I went for the LIP and don't regret it, I use all the extra functionality constantly.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 pm

i have 3 voices in my rack! 1. Sy.05 for percussion and short things. 2. plaits for bells and as a variable module. 3. Loqulic Iteritas for leads and high crunchy sounds! now I am considering exchanging the LI for the LIP or do you have other suggestions? for straight techno :sb:

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm

I don't know if I would exchange them, but you might have a look at the subcom vampire, all analog
covering much of the ground that the LIP can, though the LIP is stellar and different enough to
make them both worthwhile imo. If I could only keep one of them, it would be the Subcom module I'm afraid.

*Though techno is not paramount for me.

seiesdrum
Common Wiggler

Post by seiesdrum » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:08 am

ok Thanks, I will check

mgla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mgla » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:12 pm

I bought a LIP as I have & dearly appreciate the original LI. The envelope, VCAs & patch points add much functionality, but possibly noteworthy in terms of interfacing - whereas LI uses regular potentiometers for pitch, LIP changes this to encoders with quite stepped response, that you'd press to change between fine & coarse tuning. My bad that I didn't check it beforehand as this was very UNwelcome change - there's been a ton of fun to be found in setting the oscillators to beat frequency & abusing morph and modulate parameters. The new design seriously hinders the immediacy of that.

I understand the LIP is meant more as a drum module so this choice could make sense, but I much prefer it for microtonal droning duties myself & don't care for drum sounds.
Last edited by mgla on Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lohacker
Ultra Wiggler

Post by lohacker » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm

I ended up keeping both

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:41 pm

I haven't been fortunate to try any of them. But I am seriously looking at both as my main synthy-voice (not sampling, PM or the like). I probably won't be troubled by the shift to encoder as I haven't experienced the original LI. The main thing to me about the LIP is the additional modulation jack ins and of course the four envelope sends. For a somewhat small rack the LI takes SO much attenuation compared to it's size and other modules I own. I really wish - if they ever decide on a LI mk2 in the same form factor, which they probably won't - is to include attenuation pots on the inputs, or just some at least. Or alternatively maybe make it so the regular knobs changes to attenuation when the function is being externally modulated... I do really like the LIP but it is rather big, and I don' t need the integrated envelope, just the attenuation/send knobs.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Cpaf wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:41 pm
Or alternatively maybe make it so the regular knobs changes to attenuation when the function is being externally modulated
But then you'd still need external offset.

Length_must_be
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Length_must_be » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 pm

pekbro wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm
I don't know if I would exchange them, but you might have a look at the subcom vampire, all analog
covering much of the ground that the LIP can, though the LIP is stellar and different enough to
make them both worthwhile imo. If I could only keep one of them, it would be the Subcom module I'm afraid.

what about vampire compared with piston honda mk3?

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 pm

seiesdrum wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm
LIP yes or no
If you already have the baseline LI? No. LIP won't be that much better as to justify the hassle of selling off the LI.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:20 pm

Arneb wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 pm
seiesdrum wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm
LIP yes or no
If you already have the baseline LI? No. LIP won't be that much better as to justify the hassle of selling off the LI.
I did this and it was 110% worth the hassle of selling off the LI.

pekbro
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pekbro » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Length_must_be wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 pm
pekbro wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 pm

what about vampire compared with piston honda mk3?
Hmm, cant say I've any experience with the piston honda, though I hear it's very good. Although, beyond the morphing
thing I see them as not being super comparable, one being a digital wavetable oscillator and one being an analog
triangle oscillator that can do some similar stuff. Personally, I would like to have both. :hyper:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”