Module which unexpectedly blew you away?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

stylesforfree
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Module which unexpectedly blew you away?

Post by stylesforfree » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm

ALM Mum M8. I used to own an S950....but this completely flew over my radar and it wasn't until after someone told me about it that I checked it out. So I listened to a few basic demos, read up about it and whatnot. Sounded good but I just thought it was a gimmicky lowpass filter, I passed on it for a while until one showed up on eBay for very nice price. Snaffled dem jawns right up son!

Gimmicky lowpass filter? Boy was I wrong sonny jack. It fucken KNOCKS. Raw lowpass filter powaaaaaaa!!!

Mix a bunch of wave forms through a wavefolder and run it through the VCA and drive it while cranking the resonance, modulating frequency, resonance and the VCA and you got youself a goddam circus show boy!

It is indeed, a rather good filter sir.

The highest of honourable mentions goes to Quadrax. What a beast of a module but I was kinda expecting it to do most of the things I use it for but the alternative mode for each setting and the CV matrix blew me away a bit so not as unexpected.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm

starthief wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:38 pm
luketeaford wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:05 am
Smooth/Stepped Generator is probably the biggest surprise for me. I knew of its patch programmability, but I didn't realize how much it could do, how good it sounds, how the two sides and comparator work together, etc. It's excellent and I am always finding new ways to use it or small differences in CV/panel settings dramatically vary a patch.
Have you used the Sport Modulator? Your post had me looking into the SSG more closely than I have previously, and I'm kind of intrigued, but Sport Modulator also looks like a fun option (which I've considered before).
Nope-- I think they were pretty much unavailable around the time I started expanding. It looks like it would be really similar though depending on its highest frequency. I use mine at audio rates all the time so that might be the biggest difference (compared to how Maths sounds different from DUSG at audio rates).

100000bps
Common Wiggler

Post by 100000bps » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:21 pm

Interstellar radio - just immense amount of sounds and pure fun.
Erbe-Verb - if you ever want to make bent metal sounds, here you can. Great oscillator and percussive element. Nothing like it in either VSTs or other euro. Blowing me away every day :D
Res-EQ - im wet every time i push the feedback, its that fkn good.
Verbos Envelope & Sequence selector - brilliant combo. Various envelope shapes to a switch that also has mini sequencer that can go back to modulate envelope and other stuff ? Fuck yeah. Dynamics bro. I liked them so much i got this setup doubled (yeah, 2 SS and 2 envelopes).
Benjolin - that thing is unlimited.
IFM Fourses - best modulation source evvrrrr made. Can also be turned into gnarly or super weird oscillators with a switch :D.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:00 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:10 pm
Have you used the Sport Modulator? Your post had me looking into the SSG more closely than I have previously, and I'm kind of intrigued, but Sport Modulator also looks like a fun option (which I've considered before).
Nope-- I think they were pretty much unavailable around the time I started expanding. It looks like it would be really similar though depending on its highest frequency. I use mine at audio rates all the time so that might be the biggest difference (compared to how Maths sounds different from DUSG at audio rates).
[/quote]

Ah, OK... both availability and max rate could be important factors :)

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:08 am

Actually none, or all of them. Except those simple utility tools, like attenuators or amplifiers.

Usually I'm wow when I patch something, so it's more the patch than a single module that blows me away.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 am

I’ll add Plaits, Mangrove, and Belgrad—because to my ears they are all full of timbral sweet spots, and simply turning a knob gets interesting sounds.

(I did expect these 3 to be good, and they overdeliver)

damase
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by damase » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 am

just got a cwejman mmf-2
it certainly blew me away, despite cwejman’s reputation for the best filters, im still blown away with how much i love it

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Gringo Starr wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:51 pm

About a week ago I scored a brand new Sport Modulator that was quietly sitting in the stockroom of a store. For some reason I asked knowing it wasn’t on their website and turns out they had one left. I’m only a week in but it’s a super nice module. I was looking for one for a couple months prior. I didn’t see any hit the BST or Reverb/Ebay during that time so if you see one grab it fast.
What you're describing is my dream scenario. I borrowed a Sport Modulator 2 years back, and I've been hoping to grab one in good condition ever since.

Did the shop happen to have a couple others in backstock?

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Funny I sold my sport mod a while back. Never missed it. I didn’t find I used it much. Very cool module though

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:43 pm

rayultine wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:54 am
noisewreck wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm
Plague Bearer. So many gnarly tones can be had from it. Every setting seems to be a sweet spot.
Hah! I posted about the Plague Bearer in the epic "Disappointing modules" thread. I'm always wanting to hear more from people who love this module.

And it certainly seems to work more magic on quieter input signals.
Absolutely. On CV and audio ins.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:00 pm

stylesforfree wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:04 pm
ALM Mum M8. I used to own an S950....but this completely flew over my radar and it wasn't until after someone told me about it that I checked it out. So I listened to a few basic demos, read up about it and whatnot. Sounded good but I just thought it was a gimmicky lowpass filter, I passed on it for a while until one showed up on eBay for very nice price. Snaffled dem jawns right up son!

Gimmicky lowpass filter? Boy was I wrong sonny jack. It fucken KNOCKS. Raw lowpass filter powaaaaaaa!!!

Mix a bunch of wave forms through a wavefolder and run it through the VCA and drive it while cranking the resonance, modulating frequency, resonance and the VCA and you got youself a goddam circus show boy!

It is indeed, a rather good filter sir.
Cool, i've had mine for like 2 years and its just been sitting there haha (got mine in some trade). I should start using it, sits next to my BitBox..

ritec
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ritec » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:07 am

Fx Aid because it sounds great and it is the swiss army module of fX,
vpme T43 because it is so useful during life performances,
Shapeshifter - because it is probably the most versatile VCO I’ve tried.

jbrandtp
Common Wiggler

Post by jbrandtp » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 am

When I first encountered the XAOC Drezno, I got the idea, that this was just another Bit-crusher.
When I later was introduced to the module, I was completely blown away. Being able to manipulate a digital signal in an analog flow is very exciting for me.
I now own two Drezno-systems.

suthnear
Ultra Wiggler

Post by suthnear » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:58 am

Adding to what I said earlier: gstormelectro's filters. Again, not because I didn't expect much of them (they're reproductions of classics after all) but familiarity with modular (and music tech generally) has left me slightly jaded. All the ones I have are amazing, but the sh2-vcf has become my standard bass filter.

DSC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DSC » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:50 pm

Last edited by DSC on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:27 pm

This thread is bad for my wallet ! Makes me want to trade in my morphagene for a nebulae!

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Verbos passive mult.
Idk if who ever I bought it used from or the dudes at verbos were really stone.
1n 3out
With the in on the bottom of the row of 4???
:doh:
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

mookmoof
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mookmoof » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:39 am

Envelator; Sputnik Oscillator; PEG

jessem
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jessem » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:06 am

Modcan Dual Delay is my perfect delay.
Noisering was the first module that made me realize modular was more than the ultimate monosynth.

crumb dinger
Common Wiggler

Post by crumb dinger » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:41 am

3 Sisters and Cyclebox really bowled me over. Or rather, the raw sound of each got my goat just so, and they continue to surprise me and do much more than you might think.

SB-SIX
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SB-SIX » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:26 am

lordymosh wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:26 pm
SB-SIX wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:52 pm
Recently picked up an ADDAC 601. Wouldn't recommend it for small systems because it requires alot of modulation to shine, but it is able to create very complex soundscapes from just 1 sound source. It's awesome to process all bands individuallly, it has built in vca's for all the bands, and because of the nature of it, nothing overlaps mixwise so you can go really crazy with the processing.
I've wanted it for quite some time now. I'm happy to hear its still sounds great with just using one sound source! Seems like it would be perfect for drones. What vcos do you use with it?
The more complex sound sources are the best. Loquelic, Qubit chord, rossum trident, complex oscs... When you plug in different envs and lfo’s in the builtin band vca’s, you can get some really cool and special sounds.
There is a chance you might like this: https://soundcloud.com/steeboo

oliodnb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oliodnb » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 am

ATW wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 pm
alternative to the unobtanium Skipmin
I got a ton of small utilities just because of my o_C, it really helped me to realize what my system was missing.
I'd recommend you the Ladik S-090 as an alternative to the Skipmin, though it lacks the native muting options.

megarat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megarat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:39 am

ATW wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:02 pm
alternative to the unobtanium Skipmin
I'd recommend you the Ladik S-090 as an alternative to the Skipmin, though it lacks the native muting options.
[/quote]

As I understand it, Branches would serve this same functionality (also w/o mutes) if you don’t plug anything into the B output. You can also get 4 channels in 8hp with the Twiigs version by Michigan Synthworks.

funeralcake
Common Wiggler

Post by funeralcake » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:41 am

I think the General CV is probably the number one choice for me.

If I'm being honest, I mostly bought it because I loved the idea of having access to "nostalgic" GM tones in my rack (even though they are not quite identical to the Sound Blaster cards and ROMplers of my childhood).

In other words, I had vastly underestimated the module's capabilities in favor of a stupid gimmick. It can do so many awesome, interesting and beautiful things. It was worth every penny.

The Voltage Block may be second... It was one of those modules I bought for possibly all the wrong reasons (seeing it used as a CV slider bank in a video technically demoing something else). I am still discovering functions on it as I twiddle and play around with it (I am too lazy to study manuals unless it's necessary, so I tend to figure things out through trial and error).

Again, another case of underestimating the capabilities of something, or else focusing too much on a narrow set of functions, only to be surprised by what I stumbled onto just by screwing around with it.

The Trigger Riot shows a lot of promise, but I am still learning the basics of it.
useless

lordymosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by lordymosh » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:53 pm

SB-SIX wrote: The more complex sound sources are the best. Loquelic, Qubit chord, rossum trident, complex oscs... When you plug in different envs and lfo’s in the builtin band vca’s, you can get some really cool and special sounds.
Great! I have the Piston Honda mk3 and Kermit mk3 as sound sources. :love:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”