Leave rack powered on or off?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

newrun
Common Wiggler

Leave rack powered on or off?

Post by newrun » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:01 pm

What's best practice?

Leave rack powered on all the time, power off every night or power off if not using for a few hours.

AnalogDigits
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Leave rack powered on or off?

Post by AnalogDigits » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:13 pm

Off when not in use for any extended period of time.
Your capacitors will thank you in the long run.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:26 pm

I turn my rack/synths on for about 30 minutes before I start using them, just to make sure my analog oscillators are nice and warm. But I always turn it off after using it.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

jonnyjupiter
Common Wiggler

Post by jonnyjupiter » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:29 pm

steviet wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:26 pm
I turn my rack/synths on for about 30 minutes before I start using them, just to make sure my analog oscillators are nice and warm. But I always turn it off after using it.
Same.

newrun
Common Wiggler

Post by newrun » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Does is hurt turning rack on and off several times a day? Or would it be better to just leave on all day and turn off at night?

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Here's another thread with some more opinions:

viewtopic.php?t=122622

Turning it off and on should be fine. Leaving it on all day is fine too. Kind of non answer, but both are fine ways to operate.
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm

screens on digital modules dont last forever, they can die or they can get burn in, especially if the dont have screensavers. my o and c and flxs 1 both have some burn in, and my er301 might have it very slightly. thats enough of a reason to turn it off when not in use for me.

dip_registered
Common Wiggler

Post by dip_registered » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:07 pm

And also if you have modules with tubes, or something that heats up without much ventilation, may not be the best idea to keep them on overnight.

DIVINEAUDIO
Common Wiggler

Post by DIVINEAUDIO » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:09 pm

When I’m working on a track or developing a patch I’ll leave my cases on for several days. In between or when I know I won’t be able to get any studio time in for a few days or weeks I shut everything off.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:19 pm

I turn everything off as soon as I'm not using it. I don't like the sensation of having anything lingering.
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

studio460
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studio460 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:30 pm

We used to have this debate about PCs, decades ago. A popular consensus was that the components are stressed by more frequent heating/cooling cycles, and that they should be left on 24/7. Of course anything with a display I always turn off since these have a limited life and some can even suffer slight burn-in.

Personally, I usually leave everything on all night and then turn it off when I know I'm going to sleep, which often is very late (e.g., 4:00AM). This is mainly due to the fact that I dislike the psychological effect of turning everything off—it's like proclaiming, "no more fun for today," "don't be creative anymore." When everything is still on, I feel like anything is possible!
Last edited by studio460 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uniquepersonno2
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Mine's only on when i'm using it. No reason to leave it on when it's not in use.
It's done!
...probably! Ahhh, who am I kidding...

finalplane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finalplane » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Watching the suzanne ciani doc, i was inspired by the way she talked about how she 'lived with' the buchla - and always left it on. Her idea of treating it as a living being resonates with me, personally. I have been trying that recently, and especially when I get up a patch that feels like a very special environment, I enjoy being able to go up to my studio space and turn up the volume and visit it.

although, ciani also talks a lot about the buchla breaking down constantly..... but that seems more to do with constant transportation and use of a rather fragile instrument.

i dont do this constantly, but i leave everything on about 60-70% of the time, and my gear is stationary... because there's no shows obviously
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

Flounderguts
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:47 pm

I leave my rack on, generally.

However, when it comes to PCs, better to turn them off. My workplace sees far more failures in the computers that are left on. They tend to gather dust over time, and then overheat...so perhaps you should turn off anything that has a fan blowing over components?

The thing that tends to blow the most, at work, are graphics cards.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:57 pm

Some digital stuff can become very hot when it's not doing anything. The microprocessor(s) seem to need some type of activity to ~bleed off~ some of that energy otherwise it becomes converted into heat. For example, I know that every Alesis Micron I've ever owned will become ~hot~ (especially near the processor) if it just sat there, powered up but not playing any sounds. I'd start a sequence, and inside of 30 seconds an undeniable change in temperature could be demonstrated/felt (just touch the stupid thing ... far less heat, actually down to just ~warm~).

That's just one example, I've noticed this in other digital music/sound/synth/fx/modules devices as well.

So "idling module" heat ... seems like a bad thing ... so probably turn the studio off if it's not actually doing work of some type (like playing a sequence or everwhat).
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:34 pm

No reason to have your gear sitting there generating heat and using electricity when you aren’t using it. Personally, if I think I might get back to it in a few hours, I’ll often leave it powered on, but if I’m going to sleep or leaving the house, I definitely shut it down.

This stuff is probably going to be still working after I’m dead, I don’t think arguments pro or con about wear on components are that important- it’s more about wasting electricity and fire safety.
maybe you’d like to buy some nice used modules? Free cables with purchase!!

viewtopic.php?f=74&t=235367&p=3313562&h ... s#p3313562

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm

I actually disconnect from power when not in use. I'm perhaps a little too paranoid about the damage a surge might cause. I'll be moving from a portable to a studio case in the near future. I intend to add UPS at that point, so no more unplugging. Do others have UPS/surge suppression between AC and their equipment?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:27 pm

My understanding is that some UPSs (designed for computers) can be undesirable to have around audio equipment. I use a Furman power conditioner that is designed for audio equipment. It’s not expensive. Thus far, it hasn’t had to take one for the team.

studio460
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studio460 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm

veets wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm
I actually disconnect from power when not in use. I'm perhaps a little too paranoid about the damage a surge might cause. I'll be moving from a portable to a studio case in the near future. I intend to add UPS at that point, so no more unplugging. Do others have UPS/surge suppression between AC and their equipment?
We have a whole-house surge-protector installed in-between the meter and the panel. Cost about $150. No UPS for gear, just for internet gateway (so we still have internet during power-outages). All gear-power comes from Furman 1U rack-power units.

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 pm

I turn it off and unplug it when i am not in using it. Its a waste of electricity leaving it on for hours and days unused.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:21 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm
screens on digital modules dont last forever, they can die or they can get burn in, especially if the dont have screensavers. my o and c and flxs 1 both have some burn in, and my er301 might have it very slightly. thats enough of a reason to turn it off when not in use for me.
ER-301 has a screensaver now.

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 am

Greta says turn the thing off, unless you can patch underwater . . .
Random is the new maRnod

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 am

Wow, I never thought about that. Why would you leave your gear switched on while you don't use it? It's just a waste. The only two things I don't power down when I don't use it for more than half an hour or so are my computer since it's an old poorly serviced box that needs several minutes to boot and it's a PITA to wait for it. The other piece of gear that I leave on for longer is my AC 30 guitar amp because everytime I power it up or down I fear to blow out its tubes which happened three times already. :zombie:
Last edited by R.U.Nuts on Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:34 am

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm
Oof. What version of the FLXS-1 firmware are you on? I believe I'm on the most recent and there is a screensaver that runs automatically after a bit of inactivity. I believe the latest one (20b5) was posted on the Zetaohm forums here.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:59 am

The amount of power drawn by these systems makes leaving them on all the time an enormous waste of resources. Imagine all the modules you could buy with the money you throw out in electricity costs...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”