what to add to my Neutron

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

what to add to my Neutron

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Hehe. No, I'm not that new to this. ;) But I did get a Behringer Neutron (and an Arturia Beatstep Pro) for a new studio corner in the house and I'm thinking about getting a Behringer Go case to go with it and it's always fun to hear everybody's view on such matters.

I want drums from the rack and I'm thinking that I should get a few Doepfer modules to pay some tribute to The Creator. Also, Doepfer modules tends to be rather interesting and value for money but there's almost always some snazzier module that wins out in the end. It'd be nice to go against that for once. Thirdly I've been eying the ALM Akemie´s Castle for three years now. I'm going for it. :goo:

This is what I've put together, without that much thought about how it fits together:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1373885
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: what to add to my Neutron

Post by natureclubcassettes » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm

you're gonna want a dedicated filter for the Doepfer BBD if you want to use it in a traditional sense

otherwise looks like a fun compliment to what you've already got!

studio460
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studio460 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm

I'm not knowledgable enough to comment (considering your expertise), but I love the economy of it. And how can any of us resist the new Behringer sequencer? I mean, it's only $139 for chrissakes!!!

Oh, wait, I do have something to add! I would highly recommend Heinakroon's colored replacement knobs and Graydon Audio's white or black vinyl overlays for the Neutron (also just ordered a couple of grayscale panels for my pair of Links). Below, my Neutron in white (très chic, no?):

Last edited by studio460 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 pm

7 of your 12 Doepfer modules are in one of my cases. You've learned well. ;)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 am

A-199!

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:28 am

i hope you do NOT intend to get the A188-1 BBD in the 256 stage variant.
Thats the one of all of them take makes the least sense to have, imho.
(might just be the modulargrid pic)

The matrix mixer is very tedious in actual use.
stiff pots, dense spacing, no fun when it comes to experiment around "quickly", to finally find your "perfect" settings.

A107 VCF is one of "the creators" Perls for example. (at least soundwise), .......since its about to fill half the rack with doepfer.
and might be really fun with your mentioned sound sources

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 am

lisa wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:04 pm
Thirdly I've been eying the ALM Akemie´s Castle for three years now. I'm going for it. :goo:
I held off on the Castle for a long time too, but it was a "where have you been all my life?" moment when I finally got one. Enjoy! :cloud:

Word to the wise: Mine needed calibrating out the box. Maybe it had been lying around for a long time. I get the impression these don't fly off the shelf like the newest sexy black face-plate oscillators.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 am

lisa wrote:
It'd be nice to go against that for once.
That made me laugh. :lol: Good luck with that.

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:16 am

lisa wrote:

...This is what I've put together, without that much thought about how it fits together:
My system is roughly 70% Doepfer, and yet almost all the modules you have selected are on my 'still to be acquired' list! The only one in common is the sequential switch.

So I'm very much looking forward to reading about how your get on with this setup, and the Behringer sequencer which I also have my eye on! :tu:

Hyberus
Common Wiggler

Post by Hyberus » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:30 pm

If you are getting the 960 sequencer get a 962 switch to complement it.
Random is the new maRnod

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:14 pm
you're gonna want a dedicated filter for the Doepfer BBD if you want to use it in a traditional sense
Thanks! Strange design idea not to include the filtering, imo. In any case, if you look right next to the BBD you'll find a 2hp MMF. :goo:
studio460 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm
I'm not knowledgable enough to comment (considering your expertise), but I love the economy of it. And how can any of us resist the new Behringer sequencer? I mean, it's only $139 for chrissakes!!!
Yeah, it is very cheap. Takes up a lot of space but any such sequencer will, of course.
studio460 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 pm
Oh, wait, I do have something to add! I would highly recommend Heinakroon's colored replacement knobs and Graydon Audio's white or black vinyl overlays for the Neutron (also just ordered a couple of grayscale panels for my pair of Links). Below, my Neutron in white (très chic, no?):
Very chic. I've never bought any overlays, replacement front panels or knobs. I'm rather zen about the ugly designs in general. :zen:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:51 pm
7 of your 12 Doepfer modules are in one of my cases. You've learned well. ;)
Hehe. :) Any apparent choice I've forgone?
djdiscord wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:31 am
A-199!
Yes, good suggestion. I didn't think I'd ever care about spring reverbs but Metasonix R56 changed my mind. I'm just a bit unsure if the tank would fit in the case (I don't want to put it outside of the case).
Funky40 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:28 am
i hope you do NOT intend to get the A188-1 BBD in the 256 stage variant.
Well spotted. It's a placeholder. I haven't decided which one to get yet.
Funky40 wrote:
stiff pots, dense spacing, no fun when it comes to experiment around "quickly", to finally find your "perfect" settings.
Hm, interesting! Are the knobs too big? I have some very, very dense modules.. like the Antumbra Atom but I'm rather ok with it.
Funky40 wrote:
A107 VCF is one of "the creators" Perls for example. (at least soundwise), .......since its about to fill half the rack with doepfer.
and might be really fun with your mentioned sound sources
Yes, a very cool module and discontinued/soon to be sold out. A bit big, but hey.
cptnal wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:50 am
I held off on the Castle for a long time too, but it was a "where have you been all my life?" moment when I finally got one. Enjoy!

Word to the wise: Mine needed calibrating out the box.
Ah, good to know. And I'm hoping it was worth the longing and the wait.
Gringo Starr wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:05 am
lisa wrote:
It'd be nice to go against that for once.
That made me laugh. :lol: Good luck with that.
This time it's different! :party:
colb wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:16 am
My system is roughly 70% Doepfer, and yet almost all the modules you have selected are on my 'still to be acquired' list! The only one in common is the sequential switch.

So I'm very much looking forward to reading about how your get on with this setup, and the Behringer sequencer which I also have my eye on! :tu:
Doepfer centric systems are quietly cool, imo. I'm looking forward to take a few steps in that direction.
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm

The knobs on the Matrix Mixer don't give me (or my wife) any problem ... it's nothing compared with my ATOM, which is utterly ridiculous. I find the Matrix Mixer to be unique and irreplaceable.

:)
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. given the choice between conformity and self respect, I choose the latter.
.. dominion - noun: control or the exercise of control . power . possessed and controlled domain . sovereignty . having dominion over the world . supreme authority . absolute ownership . power . authority . jurisdiction . control . command ... power ....... power .......... power.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:43 pm

lisa wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 pm
Funky40 wrote:
Hm, interesting! Are the knobs too big? I have some very, very dense modules.. like the Antumbra Atom but I'm rather ok with it.
ahhhh, Bullshit, ...please ignore my previous post on that.
i wrote Matrix mixer ( which it is) but had the filterbank in mind !
my post was related to the filterbank. (which mostoften takes alots of try&error adjustments to find your spots)

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm

Ah, sorted then. :)

This is what I'll start with:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1379673

(I'll borrow the A-142-4 from another case with more than enough envelopes)

jonleebrown
Common Wiggler

Post by jonleebrown » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm

Maybe late, but I've always liked MI Warps--especially with the Parasites FW, seems like it'd integrate a lot for a dual VCO synth.

butter
Common Wiggler

Post by butter » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 am

Your proposed set up didn't "read" very easily to me, and maybe I shouldn't comment as I don't own/know the Neutron so I guess you might have some specific things in mind for some of them, but I'll throw in a few unenlightened cents as I have a silly amount of Doepfer....

I'm not that big a fan of the 143-3... as cool as is seems to have 4 independent lfo's I've always wished it was a bit "more" than just that - if it could at least reset or sync or have some phase relation or a bit more extreme range or something it would justify its spot a bit easier. Just seems a bit like a "missed opportunity" module - I still have mine, but in a large case where it's more or less a backup extra LFO for unrelated things and am always been thinking to try some different caps in it at some stage to see if I can get some different ranges. I don't know if something like the 145-4 might not serve your purposes just as well in less space? Could easily just be personal too, but with a lot Doepfer LFO's I also find myself wanting to use speeds that are right at the borders of the slow/fast/medium switches. You may have specific task in mind for it though, but especially if this is your Doepfer "showcase", think there are other more fun things in the catalogue. There do seem to be rather a large number of lfo's in there in general... something like like the 171-2 VC slew makes for a more interesting LFO/envelope if you cut down to the 145-4 to get something else in... and if its a percussion case, you need bongo's! How about an LPG?

studio460
Wiggling with Experience

Post by studio460 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:05 am

lisa wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:55 pm
Very chic. I've never bought any overlays, replacement front panels or knobs. I'm rather zen about the ugly designs in general. :zen:
Haha! My, what a gracious OP! You answered every post! Yeah, I'm a stickler for superficial cosmetics. I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finally was able to find grayscale replacement panels for EVERY one of my Make Noise modules.

:eurorack:

Have fun with your new build!

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am

• I would go for an A-156 as additional quantizer, S&H source or comparator.
  • Both my A-138m have quite stiff pots which run a lot smoother once warmed up.
  • From my point of view, the A-138m creates some redundancies in your choices, i.e. matrix mixer + clock divider + sequential switch becomes a nice sequencer. Or matrix mixer + two self resonating filters + VCA becomes a hellish FM operator with feedbacking.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 am

A Swing.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:29 am

lisa wrote:
Hehe. No, I'm not that new to this. ..thinking about getting a Behringer Go case to go with it and it's always fun to hear everybody's view on such matters.
..I've been eying the ALM Akemie´s Castle for three years now. I'm going for it. :goo:
Looks like a fun case right there!

Are you absolutely bent on the 960? I'd opt for a different more complex sequencer, acid oriented (Akemies heart acid) or an external-to-the-case one. Did you have a Metropolis?
\If you re bent on handing Uli some money the fixed filter bank might be fun to fill that hole and I think the slider style playability of the 100 series clone double VCF is a fun option too (run each of Akemie's voices through one of them).
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gaun Yersel!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:33 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 am
A Swing.
This raises so many questions.

Construct a tiny swing so you can suspend the case for those gently rocking jams?
Put a swing in the garden so the kids will be playing outside and not bother you whilst wiggling?
Or did you have a more severe suggestion?
Gaun Yersel!

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:31 am

dubonaire wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:12 am
A Swing.
Haha, you mean a Behringer Swing instead of a Keystep I guess. True this will be an excellent way to dramatically reduce the cost of your setup from $10,000 to $9,995 and as a bonus leave you with a mild sense of shame.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:39 pm

jonleebrown wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm
Maybe late, but I've always liked MI Warps--especially with the Parasites FW, seems like it'd integrate a lot for a dual VCO synth.
Yep, it's great! I have me a Warps Parasite in one of my other cases. :goo:
butter wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 am
I'm not that big a fan of the 143-3... as cool as is seems to have 4 independent lfo's I've always wished it was a bit "more" than just that - if it could at least reset or sync or have some phase relation or a bit more extreme range or something it would justify its spot a bit easier.
Yeah, you are right. It seems rather dull. I added it since.. well, you need LFOs and Doepfer's lineup is rather weak. :despair:
butter wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:52 am
How about an LPG?
Yeah, maybe. I normally prefer filters, though.
andybizarre wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am
I would go for an A-156 as additional quantizer, S&H source or comparator.
Good call. I've been eying it. The 3PT is also a quantizer, though.
andybizarre wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:18 am
From my point of view, the A-138m creates some redundancies in your choices, i.e. matrix mixer + clock divider + sequential switch becomes a nice sequencer. Or matrix mixer + two self resonating filters + VCA becomes a hellish FM operator with feedbacking.
Interesting! Way over my head. :D
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:29 am
Are you absolutely bent on the 960?
Not really. But I'd like to go for a classic, one knob for each step/sequence module. They are always too big so I never got one of those. Now is the time.

I have many complex sequencers in my other cases; René, Varigate 8+, O&C and Arpitecht.

colb
Common Wiggler

Post by colb » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:51 pm

lisa wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:56 pm
Ah, sorted then. :)

This is what I'll start with:
Have you considered an A-110-4 QZVCO instead of the quadrature LFO?
The A-110-4 has Sine and Cosine outputs, so used in combination with inverters/attenuverters, can provide quadrature output, and it doubles as a nice audio oscillator. The frequency range is very wide, although the dedicated LFO will give more precise control over very low frequency settings...

My QZVCOs get used as LFOs probably as much as they are used as VCOs, not sure about the pros and cons because I don't have an A-143-9 QLFO.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:04 am

colb wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:51 pm
Have you considered an A-110-4 QZVCO instead of the quadrature LFO?
I have not. Interesting thought. One negative aspect of this substitute is that the A-110-4 would come in at almost twice the price of the 143-9. I also like the concept of simple, related but out-of-phase sine waves for modulation. The 110-4 would sure bring more flexibility, though. In any case, I already ordered the 143-9 so the discussion is mainly academic at this point. 🙂

Return to “Eurorack Modules”