Brand new to this.

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Brand new to this.

Post by Daily.demotionals » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I have a Pittsburgh Ep-360 and am In the midst of getting modules to start off. I want quality modules that are tried and true, not necessarily beginner modules that I will grow out of. I currently have a Plaits, a Pittsburgh sv-1b, a supercell, I pre ordered a Super disting ex plus alpha, and am looking at the Befaco Percall.

I need to know what other modules I need to be pretty well rounded in terms of utility/function. (clock, midi to cv, mixer, buffered mults, recorder, audio out, etc.

I know pamela’s new workout is a popular clock but will it be redundant if I decide to get a Bitbox later?

as for the others, what all utility modules (boring or not) would be a really good layout to start and cover a lot of territory?

I don’t think I could really label a type of genre I’d be making. Just kind of exploring and experimenting.

auspice
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Brand new to this.

Post by auspice » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Doesn't the SV-1 have MIDI functionality?

I'm not much for multifunction modules like disting or pam's so I will recommend that you buy:

-DC coupled mixers
-VCAs, exponential and linear (or one that allows to switch or fade between)
Many VCAs don't amplify, so try to find some that do because you can use this for interesting clipping effects
-bipolar VCAs (voltage controlled signal inverters)
-a really nice clock divider, or a clock generator that can divide as well, like the 4ms QCD
-attenuverting mixers/offsets/static (tuneable) voltage sources, which are fantastically useful for all sorts of things
-a slew generator like VCS or Maths, which are also fantastically useful for all sorts of things
-more envelopes (see above)
And many multiples.

To me, the "beginner modules" would be the ones which try to do too many things at once for the user, or have too few preprogrammed modes. But it's easy to forget that even the most drab of these little trinkets, taken into the whole, make up an instrument, and that's really just an extension of your body, mind, and spirit. What I mean is, you can learn to play it better, discover things that you thought you already knew, explore nuances, what have you. Don't get caught in the trap of "surely I will make better sounds with just one more doodad!", but buy modules that excite you, and figure out why they excite you. And, uh, have fun.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:02 pm

I would get a Klavis Mixswitch (or a few in that size case) for some very well-rounded mixing/inverting/offset/switching functions. They are well-priced and super useful.

You're probably going to need alot of envelopes, so Mutable Stages, Klavis Quadigy, Xaoc Zadar would also be helpful.

djdiscord
Common Wiggler

Post by djdiscord » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Percall is nice to start, gives you four VCAs with simple envelopes right off the bat and lots of other built in options. Pam's is so good for modulation, I use it more for that than clock duties. Rampage or Maths is good to learn in and out to really understand how things are working. I also think that Livestock Electronics MIR module is an under rated utility beast. Maybe a spring reverb just to put that shine on everything!

mixxalot
Common Wiggler

Post by mixxalot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:18 am

Definitely recommend Mutable Instruments Kinks + Links for good support tools that offer logic, mixing, offset of CV and mults.
Also lots of choices for attenuator and VCAs- things like Intellijel Quad VCA, Mutable Instruments Veils and Shades, Noise Engineering Lapsos Os.

Function/Envelopes like Maths is great or Quadrax.
Sequential switch is super helpful and fun. Boss Bow Two has some neat tricks in a switch.
Pamela New Workout is super awesome and easy to use not bad menu diving at all: you get clock, clock dividers/multiplier, logic, Euclidian sequencer, LFOs so much in one module. Or you could get a basic clock like 2hp clock or Shakmat Clock O'Pawn.

I also recommend VCV Rack it is free and great way to try stuff out.
The book Patch and Tweak is worth getting and reading as well if only for the fun interviews and eye candy.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:16 am

The only "beginner modules" that you can "grow out of" that I can think of are those full voice modules where the VCA/VCF/LFO/etc isn't full-featured/accessible. The sv-1b has many patch points so it might be fine in the long run but I think that there might be some risk that you will get rid of it in favour of separate modules, at some point.
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

Raindeer
Common Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am

Daily.demotionals wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:45 pm
I have a Pittsburgh Ep-360 and am In the midst of getting modules to start off. I want quality modules that are tried and true, not necessarily beginner modules that I will grow out of. I currently have a Plaits, a Pittsburgh sv-1b, a supercell, I pre ordered a Super disting ex plus alpha, and am looking at the Befaco Percall.

I need to know what other modules I need to be pretty well rounded in terms of utility/function. (clock, midi to cv, mixer, buffered mults, recorder, audio out, etc.

I know pamela’s new workout is a popular clock but will it be redundant if I decide to get a Bitbox later?

as for the others, what all utility modules (boring or not) would be a really good layout to start and cover a lot of territory?

I don’t think I could really label a type of genre I’d be making. Just kind of exploring and experimenting.
Sounds like you have a nice setup. I’m just not sure how you’re sequencing. Perhaps look at Mutable Marbles or QuBit Bloom to get a couple of channels for playing Plaits and the sv-1b together.

I don’t think there are modules you can grow out of.. just those that are more or less suited to your setup.

Peng33
Common Wiggler

Post by Peng33 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am

Bitbox is a sampler/sample player. Pam's is not. One will not make the other redundant.

lisa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lisa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:54 am

Peng33 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:43 am
Bitbox is a sampler/sample player. Pam's is not. One will not make the other redundant.
Daily might be referring to Toolbox when saying Bitbox, perhaps?
You go too high too early! Although the pattern represents a variety of objects to many cultures - a plow, wagon, coffin, skunk, camel, shark, canoe, bushel, sickle, even a hog's jaw. If the date was a dance, it'd be a tango. It wasn't romantic. Rise, red as the dawn. Ungodly and full of digital dirt. Make Noise 0-coast and Soulsby Atmegatron heavy.

maudibe
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by maudibe » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:21 pm

"I'm new to this" : You mad, mad crazy fool. Do you not knoweth which box of delights you opened? :hihi:

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by afaafa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:38 pm

I would actually recommend a multi-function module like a Disting, even though you may eventually get sick of menu diving and outgrow it.

It will teach you what all those functions do, and you will discover what functions you use most often to address the needs of your particular system. Then you can buy dedicated modules in a targeted way, rather than getting one of everything and having an unfocused, unweidly starter system.

edit: Seeing as you've already preordered a Disting, I would wait, use that for a while, and then see what you need. None of us can tell you what types of waveshaping or modulation you will find musically inspiring.

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:26 pm

Pandora’s box is an understatement :picard:
maudibe wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:21 pm
"I'm new to this" : You mad, mad crazy fool. Do you not knoweth which box of delights you opened? :hihi:

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:23 pm

46B20CE0-F9C9-4AE7-9963-5055FCF52779.jpeg

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:03 pm

youll probably want the audio i/o closer to a corner, whether top or bottom depends your amp/monitor set⬆️

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:11 pm

Good call! I just hope these modules were good choices in general. Just wanted to have a somewhat well rounded start without being overblown in the beginning. Thoughts?
of anything I’m missing regarding utility etc?
(Into sound experimentation, no real genre)

Lokua
Common Wiggler

Post by Lokua » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:19 pm

All good choices assuming you're sequencing with an external MIDI sequencer.

Honestly, though, I'd go so far as to say this is too much. Why not start with just a sv-1b and an effect and see how far you can take that? It will no doubt not be enough, but when that happens you'll know exactly where to go next because you'll be thinking "I wish I had another this, another that".

But anyway here's a utility recommendation: Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links. These have been side by side in my rack for a long time and are used in almost every patch. Brilliantly designed.

Naenyn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Naenyn » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:55 am

Just my thoughts... It is definitely possible to grow too big, too fast. But on the flip side, it is difficult to contain that initial excitement, too. “Must.. buy.. all the things..!”

I think it is safe to say that at some point you will be changing out modules. That is just part of the fun. I wouldn’t worry about outgrowing modules. Some things you start out with and feel you have outgrown will be other (possibly very experienced) people’s go-to modules. There is a great market for used modules and most tend to keep their value, too.

That sv-1b will serve you well for a long time, I suspect. So, I’d just say go with what looks interesting to you and build around that sv-1b as you learn.

Pam’s is a popular clock because it is a great clock that can do other things too. Is it possible it could become redundant? Sure. I think that’ll be okay, though. Unless you keep your system very small and focused, the likelihood that you end up with some overlap between modules is pretty high. Use it for the things it does best and use other things that do other things better.

Regarding utility modules, I’ll echo what others have said about the Disting. They are fantastic at helping you figure out what to buy next. It will handle most of the utility you’re likely to need.. and when you find that you need it to do more things than it can do at once, you’ve probably just found that first utility module to buy.

Anyway, welcome to Euro(c)rack!
-n :ninja:

My FOR SALE thread
My racks on ModularGrid
Find me on MuffWiggler's Discord

Return to “Eurorack Modules”