TUKRA - 8 track eurorack trigger sequencer with drum synth, sample player and midi

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

TUKRA - 8 track eurorack trigger sequencer with drum synth, sample player and midi

Post by djthopa » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:08 pm

8C571DA6-3772-46A2-BAB9-FD078F087918.jpeg
I have not seen any posts about this module in here, so with the blessing of the creator, mangu from tesseract here is some info:

TUKRA is a 8 track eurorack trigger sequencer with drum synth, sample player and midi.

This module can be an ‘all in one’ solution for drums, but also has great integration capabilities with other gear(eurorack modules, drum boxes, DAWs, midi devices and midi surface controllers).

There are no submenus, all functions and views are accessible all the time.

Brief overview:

Up to 64 steps per pattern, 64 patterns, 64 parts and 16 songs per project. 64 projects in the microSD card.

Play mode, clock divider, length & choke settings independent per track & pattern.

Step value (can be used for modulation, to define the midi velocity, midi note & drum synth pitch or sample selection).

Ins & outs:

8 trigger/gate, clock &reset outputs.

Clock & reset inputs.

4 CV inputs with offset potentiometers (so they’re manual controls when no CV is plugged in).

Audio L & R out (6 additional ones with the expander for independent track output).

Front panel midi trs in & out, and USB host for midi controllers.

Midi and audio:

Midi note and channel configurable per track & song, midi note and velocity modulable by the step value.

Drum synth,noise with envelope and ‘one shot’ sample player (factory and user banks) per track.

Flexible sample selection (each track can play up to 128 samples).

Mixer with volume, balance, reverb, bit crusher, filter cutoff, resonance and type (smoothly crossfades LP - BP - HP).

Modulation:

CV & assignable midi CC plus 8 internal LFOs, 3 stepped random sources and step value.

Modulation matrix for almostall parameters.

Rhythm variation:

Probability for step, gate and roll.

Euclidean Rhythm Generator.

‘Ramifications’ generative tool.

Live view with solo, mute, fill, roll, invert pattern, reverse play direction and rotate.

Time:

Acurate clock source and low latency.

External synch (via trigger, midi TRS or USB).

Triplets and swing (aka ‘shuffle’), triplet and swing can be generated from a straight clock input or midi clock.

Micro grid edit, each step has 6 micro steps (24 ppq).

Half and double tempo functions.

I have beta tested this module for a few weeks and i really had a good time using it and integrating it on my setup in different ways!

Here are some videos on Tesseract youtube channel:

More info @ Tesseract:

https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurorack-modules/tukra

jonleebrown
Common Wiggler

Re: TUKRA - 8 track eurorack trigger sequencer with drum synth, sample player and midi

Post by jonleebrown » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:01 pm

It has the feel of "Ancient Aliens" Hieroglyphics or something :)

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: TUKRA - 8 track eurorack trigger sequencer with drum synth, sample player and midi

Post by windspirit » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 pm

How many doll hairs?

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:33 am

A lot of respect to them for making something this complex without a screen or display. Look forward to seeing more demos.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 am

Raindeer wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:33 am
A lot of respect to them for making something this complex without a screen or display. Look forward to seeing more demos.
thanks, indeed taking the decisions to organise all the functions has been way harder than I expected, with an oled screen would be easier because you just make a few menus and place all the options/parameters/functions you need inside...but it's that I don't like menu diving,

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:34 am

windspirit wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:26 pm
How many doll hairs?
299€ is the launch price for assembled units.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am

would love to hear some more of the samples available, as well as maybe a cheat sheet of all the symbols.

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:26 pm

I've been lurking hard on this one
Any ideas on how much hp the outputs expander will be? I'm trying to find a way to incorporate this module to my setup, I might go for a 4ms pod.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:49 pm

Genox wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:26 pm
Any ideas on how much hp the outputs expander will be? I'm trying to find a way to incorporate this module to my setup, I might go for a 4ms pod.
the expander is going to be 4 hp,

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:53 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:26 am
would love to hear some more of the samples available, as well as maybe a cheat sheet of all the symbols.
need to make a proper audio demo, anyway all the audio in this video comes from Tukra :

and here's the cheat sheet:

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:19 pm

and here an introduction video by my friend Antón:

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:46 am

This might be the most beautiful, unique module I’ve ever seen! I’m a euro board game nerd, so I drool over iconography like this. And I friggin hate menus.

Can I use this to trigger MIDI drum boxes (like an Analog Rytm)?

Congrats on an awesome design!
Last edited by Electro Something on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sendepause
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sendepause » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:44 am

I sold a lot euro stuff to build me a little Buchla system and swore not to buy Eurorack for the coming months.
But I do have a sweet sixteen which I deeply love and use as the hart of my system. This tukra would fit perfectly. Also because I really miss drums.
Good work! Also because this is the only module I really consider getting in a long time :-)

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:07 am

Really interested if the sample player has very low latency (if it has it will be advertised somewhere, if not then it most likely have too high latency for my taste).

Anyways, really nice design :) would be cool to hear the drum synth, the demo seems to be samples (at least the snares).

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:46 am

M4ngu wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:49 pm
Genox wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:26 pm
the expander is going to be 4 hp,
What will the expander do? :)

Nevermind - i read the First Post!
Last edited by theotteryears on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 pm

Damn. This module looks awesome. Think I need to get one once finances allow. :)

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:07 am
Really interested if the sample player has very low latency (if it has it will be advertised somewhere, if not then it most likely have too high latency for my taste).
just measured it, have to admit that never did it before for Tukra, both sample player and drum synth have like 6-7ms of latency (compared with the trigger outs, which are very accurate) this is because of the audio block size, so I've try reducing the block size to 64 samples (instead of the default 128) and the latency is about 3-4ms, the with 32 samples and the latency has gone to 1-2 ms. The quality of the audio seems to be not affected but I need to do better tests, the only thing I've noticed is the spectrum analizer which reacts different with the reduced block sizes, but that can be fixed adjusting some parameters in the code.
So I'll try to reduce the latency for the next firmware release, hopefully to 1 or 2 milliseconds.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:10 am

Electro Something wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:46 am

Can I use this to trigger MIDI drum boxes (like an Analog Rytm)?
Yes you can trigger any midi device or modular gear with Tukra.

M4ngu
Learning to Wiggle

Post by M4ngu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:11 am

Here are some audio examples (everything, including intro and outro is taken directly from the audio output without any processing), drum sounds are from the sample player mostly and the drum synth is used in a few of the examples to make basslines etc.

Need to do some examples with the drum synth on it own, which is indeed pretty basic but with the advantage that all parameters can be modulated.

theotteryears
Common Wiggler

Post by theotteryears » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:52 am

Daisuk wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Damn. This module looks awesome. Think I need to get one once finances allow. :)
+1!

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:37 am

Oh man I’m having so much fun with my Tukra. It’s the first module I’ve ever purchased based on the beauty alone - the icons, layout, and LEDs are just gorgeous and make it fun to play. It’s like a Lite Bright built by ancient Egyptians made to wiggle your muff.

Even as just a sequencer it’s worth it’s weight in gold and HP. I’ve been using it to trigger/gate everything else in my rack. So many randomization options and internal LFO’s (I haven’t tried MIDI yet, but it’s there). Being able to play samples too is just icing on the cake.

This is my first eurorack drums, so take my comments with a grain of salt. But for a guy who just started to fill his second 2x104hp case, having an all-in-one drum solution in 34hp and $375 is super economical. It will never replace my Elektron Analog Rytm II (the sample-based Tukra can’t match the Rytm’s analog sound), but in many ways I like the Tukra even more - I’m creating more interesting patterns with it for sure (= more happy accidents).

There is a bit of a learning curve for sure. I still have a bit to learn. The manual took me several hours to trudge through, and you’ll need to cheat sheet handy. But the Tukra’s “UI” is just genius. Everything makes sense once you understand the basic workflow. Tho if this was my first drum machine ever I think I’d be totally overwhelmed. There are many double and triple button combos, but all very intuitive.

And Tesseract has been quick to answer my questions, responding faster to me on Facebook Messenger than my own mother, lol.

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:32 pm

Mangu from Tesseract launched a Tukra users Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/254470319514880

Bmooncd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bmooncd » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:33 pm

This was just love at first everything.
It shall be mine by the end of the week, USPS/hp notwithstanding.

Bmooncd
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Bmooncd » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Bmooncd wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:33 pm
This was just love at first everything.
It shall be mine by the end of the week, USPS/hp notwithstanding.
And Detroit Modular broke the land speed record...😎🤘🏻🤘🏻🤘🏻

Now the work begins. But the feels is all here...

jonnyjupiter
Common Wiggler

Post by jonnyjupiter » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:20 pm

Does it let you import your own samples? If so, how?
Also, what's the internal mixer like to use in practice?
VERY tempted.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”