Clank Chaos

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

jaypodesta
Learning to Wiggle

Clank Chaos

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:40 am

On anyones radar?

https://www.clank.eu/chaos

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Re: Clank Chaos

Post by Back Down the Path » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:46 am

On anyones radar?
Now it is!

jaypodesta
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jaypodesta » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:51 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:46 am
On anyones radar?
Now it is!
Excellent :tu:

Nomadic ghosts
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nomadic ghosts » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 pm

Seems like it could be an interesting option to replace Marbles in my system. The manual is a good start, looking forward to some detailed demos.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:38 pm

This looks sweet

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 pm

Chaos is the hidden force that moves everything around us. It’s a random stream of events, whose correlation is impossible to understand.
If that's any indication, I don't think they've done their homework.
:nana: “Could only have been painted by a madman.”

lyesmel
Common Wiggler

Post by lyesmel » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:59 pm

looks awesome ! on the market for a chaos module specifically at the momet... had my eye on a wogglebug but this might be a worth diverson

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:33 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 pm
Chaos is the hidden force that moves everything around us. It’s a random stream of events, whose correlation is impossible to understand.
Haha. Yes, I’ve got to admit I’m not a fan of module descriptions that read like high school poetry. It might be why I haven’t bought anything by Mannequins...

Chaos looks intriguing though. As @nomadic ghosts said, definitely a potential Marbles alternative.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:49 pm

lol @ cringe speech synth. i swear it feels more amateurish to do that than to have a small child doing the presentation through a pair of broken headphones as a mic.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:49 pm

I take the points about the voice overs in the video, but I think this actually looks really nice, the design and function matters more to me than the marketing.

Cpaf
Common Wiggler

Post by Cpaf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:57 pm

I was initially very stoked when I first saw it. But after reading through the manual it doesn't seem to be for me. Just a single cv in and a lot of configuration plus color coded LEDs you have to remember without any meaningful visual signifiers. Marbles have a lot more CV in potential as I see it. I do think the LED bar to show the current value of a parameter is nice. Ultimately I would have preferred for just four channels and then more immediacy or/+ cv ins. But I hope to be proven wrong by an upcoming DivKid (or maybe someone else) video (which I expect there will be) :) it looks amazing though!

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Bachelard » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:51 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:33 pm
Haha. Yes, I’ve got to admit I’m not a fan of module descriptions that read like high school poetry. It might be why I haven’t bought anything by Mannequins...
I am certainly no fan of Mannequins' manuals and overall sort of pretentiousness, but I have to admit their modules are very well-concveived & manufactured, and I try not to be bothered by their texts.

I do get annoyed by pretentious marketing and bad copy and ugly panels/fonts, but not quite enough to stop me from using good music-making tools.

appliancide
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by appliancide » Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:58 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:55 pm
Yep. The latest entry in the "chaos in the module name, but not the actual circuitry" category of modules has arrived. Looks like a cool enough module, but chaos as marketing term is annoying*.

*Mike Brown/Livewire Chaos Computer gets a pass on this for many reasons

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 pm

Is there a clock input for external sync?

0xc43d35
1-Post Wiggler

Post by 0xc43d35 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:29 pm

brandonlogic wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 pm
Is there a clock input for external sync?
"On Chaos first row , counting from left to right, there are four inputs (clock-in, loop, cv-in and “chaos”)"

from the manual

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:03 am

I'm actually very interested in knowing more about how this module performs in practice, and considering the general appeal for generative modules in Eurorack, this one can be a great solution for many people. On a small system, I feel Chaos could almost be a mini Marbles+Pam combo, generating a few clocks, some melody and randomized slewed CV for controlling params. I don't recall seeing many important releases when it comes to generative - or let's rather call it "controlled randomness" - modules in a while now, and this one may deserve a bit more attention that just commenting on the Whimsical Raps-esque pitch on their website or the speech synth video. One particular feature that caught my eye is the ability to have independent quantization/slew and tempi per output, something that Marbles achieves only partially, and in a compromised way on certain modes (x3 doing opposites values as x1 for instance). Marbles' solution is very smart from a UI and ergonomics point of view, but it does have its limitations. Of course the fact that you need to remember the meaning of a few visual LED cues may be a deal breaker for some, but the module seems to mostly rely on combinations of the encoder + a different button clearly assigned to each major functionality, with its own label on the panel. The manual is definitely worth a read, this module seems packed with good ideas, especially when it comes to the ability of setting up outputs independently.

x2mirko
Veteran Wiggler

Post by x2mirko » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:03 am

So does this have anything to do with chaos at all or is this simply a multi-channel random generator? From what I can gather from the website, it seems like the latter. Might be a useful module nevertheless, but what a weird choice in nomenclature.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:50 pm

From a scientific perspective, I understand randomness is a different thing from true chaos theory. From a practical perspective, any random process that disturbs an ordered one could be said to introduce "chaos", at least in the general sense of the term. Reading the manual it's clear English isn't a first language for Clank, so perhaps we could give them a break on this and focus instead on the modules capabilities and interface, which I think are good.

I'll admit to being biased, as I've ordered one already. It appears that besides being a delay line junkie I've also become a random generator junkie...

batch
Collector of fine modules

Post by batch » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:55 pm

I think it looks interesting too. Definitely seems like a mini marbles, though arguably expanded given it has 6 CV and 6 gate outs instead of 4/3. Could see this being super fun in a palette type case.

Also, I have their Sum module which is great. Excellent build quality. Thinking about getting a second.
Monday Night Modular - a weekly virtual meetup @ 8pm PT

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:50 pm
From a scientific perspective, I understand randomness is a different thing from true chaos theory. From a practical perspective, any random process that disturbs an ordered one could be said to introduce "chaos", at least in the general sense of the term. Reading the manual it's clear English isn't a first language for Clank, so perhaps we could give them a break on this and focus instead on the modules capabilities and interface, which I think are good.

I'll admit to being biased, as I've ordered one already. It appears that besides being a delay line junkie I've also become a random generator junkie...
I still remember my statistics professor showing us the apparently hugely "ordered" number-pattern (shown graphically) produced by a "random-number generator" of a multiple-hundred term polynomial. The point was we have no algorithms for true random-number generation. Is this still true?

andrewF
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by andrewF » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:36 pm

x2mirko wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:03 am
So does this have anything to do with chaos at all or is this simply a multi-channel random generator? From what I can gather from the website, it seems like the latter. Might be a useful module nevertheless, but what a weird choice in nomenclature.
Apart from the name, it not a chaos generator. Same for the Chaos Divider, Chaos Computer and Chaos NAND, none of these are chaotic either.

I'm sure people smart enough to design and manufacture such a complex module are aware of the difference between chaos and random, perhaps it is simply marketing?

When you get down to it tho, it doesn't really matter (unless you buy it planning to explore the beauty of chaos).
If the module is useful and fun to use, that is good enough. :sb:
Last edited by andrewF on Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

corbetta
Common Wiggler

Post by corbetta » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:21 am

Ras Thavas wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:50 pm
Reading the manual it's clear English isn't a first language for Clank, so perhaps we could give them a break on this and focus instead on the modules capabilities and interface, which I think are good.
FWIW the difference between chaos and randomness is mathematical and not language-dependent or specific to English.
Here's the "chaos theory" page from Italian wiki (I'm Italian, as is Clank)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teoria_del_caos

Domin
Common Wiggler

Post by Domin » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:49 am

studio460 wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:26 pm
I still remember my statistics professor showing us the apparently hugely "ordered" number-pattern (shown graphically) produced by a "random-number generator" of a multiple-hundred term polynomial. The point was we have no algorithms for true random-number generation. Is this still true?
Deterministic algorithms cannot produce true randomness but are good enough for most applications. Music is not cryptography.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:06 pm

2nd batch pre-order placed. Looks like an interesting modules with a lot of features and what seems to be an easily learnable & usable interface.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Callesjonell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Callesjonell » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:56 pm

I wonder if the Time and Width parameters are set for each gate or a general value for the random stream? I would love to to get funky rhythms going with this module and not just a static relation between and the length of gates. Does anyone know? Or is my noodling if these parameters recorded to the stream that then get looped (would be amazing)?!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”