Clank Chaos

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Re: Clank Chaos

Post by DaShmoop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:28 pm

I love the aesthetic and am really curious to see more demos come out. After reading through the manual it's not evident to me how the clock division works and what divisions are available. Can anyone clarify? Are the gates only constant pulses that can be synced to the master clock, thereby creating subdivisions like /4, /3, /2, /1, x2, x3, x4, etc? Is there any way to get euclidean like rhythms?

This may just end up replacing Pams + Marbles in my rack. I love both but I mainly use Pams for basic clock divider and Marbles for looping random CV for modulation. Seems Chaos could do both.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:43 pm

There is this one short mention in the manual- "The available multiplication and division are from 1 to 8, then from 16 to 32.", which I take to mean the range is the same for dividing as well as multiplying, 1-8, then 16-32. I'll note in use (and I"ve only had it for a short time so I'm no expert) that very slow rates and very fast buzzes can be reached.

So the timing of the six gate outputs can be all precisely set and unrelated, or synced to the master at various different multiples and divisions. I don't think you can exactly duplicate the functionality of a dedicated euclidian rhythm generator, but many useful rhythms do result, particularly with the addition of probability per step.

One thing I forgot to mention, the loop mode allows, if you want, different settings for probability, time, gate width, voltage range, and base frequency. So more than just looping your random data, you can flip channels back and forth into loop and have completely different patterns emerge.

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:34 pm

Ras Thavas wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:43 pm
There is this one short mention in the manual- "The available multiplication and division are from 1 to 8, then from 16 to 32.", which I take to mean the range is the same for dividing as well as multiplying, 1-8, then 16-32. I'll note in use (and I"ve only had it for a short time so I'm no expert) that very slow rates and very fast buzzes can be reached.

So the timing of the six gate outputs can be all precisely set and unrelated, or synced to the master at various different multiples and divisions. I don't think you can exactly duplicate the functionality of a dedicated euclidian rhythm generator, but many useful rhythms do result, particularly with the addition of probability per step.

One thing I forgot to mention, the loop mode allows, if you want, different settings for probability, time, gate width, voltage range, and base frequency. So more than just looping your random data, you can flip channels back and forth into loop and have completely different patterns emerge.
Nice! Do you have a Marbles? Wondering how you feel they compare.
Last edited by DaShmoop on Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler

Post by DaShmoop » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:36 pm

:sb:

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 pm

I do have a Marbles, which I like very much. I'd describe them as "close cousins".

Both in general could be described as having Turing Machine lineage. Marbles merges that Turing Machine concept with something akin to the classic Source of Uncertainty design, where you have multiple sources of random gates and random voltages. There is slightly more fine grained control over the three gates and the four voltages, and more voltage control inputs than Chaos.

Chaos on the other hand offers six voltages and six gates, with a good amount of control for its spare interface and many of the key features that Marbles has, tho not all. The ten save slots and controllable randomization of settings are pretty powerful, as is the alternate setting you can have with the loop function. It seems to me to be more of a new concept, as a system of six random voltage/gate sources that can be patched to interact or function separately.

Perhaps they differ the most in interface. Marbles has more of a knob per function layout, Chaos uses a single encoder to select functions. Often using an encoder system is problematic, IMO this system is pretty smooth once you get used to it.

Either alone would be great sources of random voltage for a small to medium system. I'd guess it comes down to how many places you have in your modular to send the additional gates and voltages that Chaos has, if you want more than what Marbles offers you might then be very happy with Chaos.

Ultimately I hate to repeat the old eurorack saying, "get both", but I have both and don't intend to move either of them.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks for the detailed information. I have a question, how does Chaos respond to incoming clock. By that I mean, when compared with other modules that provide clock division/multiplication and tempo synced CV modulation—like Pamelas New Workout—I found Marbles would take a good few seconds before stabilizing. When hitting Chaos with a fresh stream of clock gates, does it cough and splutter before syncing into place or does it stay stable?

I'm actually looking to replace Pamelas New Workout with Chaos and would like to know if operation works as steadily. I also know Chaos is a very different module to PNW but I just can't deal with PNW's interface anymore - it drives me mad :slapfight:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:32 pm
Thanks for the detailed information. I have a question, how does Chaos respond to incoming clock...
Unscientific test, not driving this through a DAW and running thru scopes, but letting it run on its own and then plugging in a low range VCO square wave into the external clock in it seems to pick up the timing within a few clocks, relatively quick. I'm not hearing seconds of sputtering.

It does occasionally sputter for a few seconds when saving a preset slot, tho it retrieves a preset slot quickly and cleanly.
Last edited by Ras Thavas on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 pm

Nice. I don't mind it choking on save - but yeah, start up from a 'cold' DAW is more essential. Sounds good.

Callesjonell
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Callesjonell » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:58 am

I would love some clarification from the users or Clank on the Loop behavior and live modifier tweaks.

Question:
Inside Loop mode, if I for example rapidly change a modifier say Voltage Window. Will the loop "record" my swift changes and play it lake that the next time it loops around or does it just record the last value the encoder ended on?

Also not really understanding the manual reference to the Width modifier in Loop mode " only be reset to the initial value." What does that mean?

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:49 pm

I've tested tweaking the time value just before entering loop, and yes, it did record a quantized version of that speed change. I would guess, but haven't checked to see, that holds true for other modifiers like width.

I puzzled over "..reset to initial value", but it seems like if your gate width is set to say 40% that you can increase that gate width in loop, but not set it to be lower.

Clank
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Clank » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:33 am

Hi guys, I'm glad for your interest in our new module.
We hope to have some more in depth explanation videos soon, in the meanwhile if you have any doubt I'll follow this thread and try to ask everything.

Every tweak or change made before activate the loop will be recorded and played again, this feature can be used for all the modifiers.
Changes made after entering looping mode will be not recorded, loop function is retroactive and will only re-propose what's happen in the last steps before activate loop.
You can however change every loop modifiers independently from the random generator ones to create different behavior while in loop or to modify the loop to your taste. In every moment you can return to the initial recorded loop by double pressing the loop button, clearing all the loop modifers.

In the loop modifiers Width value can be only increased, the initial point will be the value ( or the set of values ) recorded before entering in loop mode.

I hope it helps.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:03 pm

i'd love to see this in action. for the past few years i've been off multi function modules in favor of easily accessible surface level features to keep the flow of patching in the greater system more fluid. i'm looking for some clocked repeatable variation, and this looks great. but the workflow could be a hinderance for how i like to work, so seeing some live patch examples would be pretty helpful.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 pm

How is production on batch 2 going? Are you on track to ship this month?

Clank
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Clank » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:00 pm

OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Hi OHEXOH, we're on time, 2nd batch modules will be all shipped next week.
Also, from Monday the 15th we will start taking orders for the third batch.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:06 pm

Clank wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:00 pm
OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:26 pm
Hi OHEXOH, we're on time, 2nd batch modules will be all shipped next week.
Also, from Monday the 15th we will start taking orders for the third batch.
That's great news! :yay:

scutch
Common Wiggler

Post by scutch » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Have had mine for a while and love it. Really easy to get to grips with and lots of instant gratification but you can also go deeper with it too.I made a quick demo to show some of the functionality. Not the most musical example but lots of hands on wiggling to show the range of sounds

In the video Im running a Sequence from a Voltage block into Chaos. This is then distributed to 4 voices.A Cwejman VCO 2RM left and right through Rabid Elephant Natural Gate, Braids & Plaits. Each has vOCT being controlled and are being triggered from a different channel of Chaos. Ive set some initial settings in Chaos and then plug a random clock into the Choas in input at around 1 minute. After this Im just playing around with settings. Make Noise Mimeophone is on the master to provide some ambience.

Typically how I like to use it is somewhat like this video. Slave it to a master clock then have different clock divisions and probability amounts per channel. You can make a single sequence go a long way in a system. Being able to control Entropy / Chaos on a channel by channel basis as well as at the master level is cool too. You can completely mess things up or just dial certain channels up and down. The saved states are nice but being honest I generally just leave it in a single state and play around with it. Would love to have odd clock divisions rather than just straight divide and multiply but with that being said there is enough range there plus 6 channels to satisfy.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:17 pm

Lovely. Thanks for posting that. I can’t wait to receive my Chaos... you video has just upped my s excitement levels! :love:

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Any idea when this will be at dealers in the US? The exchange rate is unkind.

Dcramer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dcramer » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:06 pm

Great looking design 👍

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:56 pm

Today was a good day... confirmation of Chaos delivery via DHL (aka super speedy to west coast USA) and a tasty video demo from RMR.

https://youtu.be/yzaNlou6vp4

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 pm

My Chaos arrived yesterday* - love it. Considering how much it can do, the interface is super simple and intuitive to use. A fantastic module.

One thing that puzzled me is going into Loop mode sometimes does not play back what you just heard. This has to do with offsets that can be applied onto Loop mode itself. This is done by holding the loop button and a modifier button and then turning the encoder to adjust the offset. What confused me was how to turn this off and return back to a default state where what you hear before is what you hear after activating loop mode.

Here's what I concluded to get a 1:1 mirror:
  • Probability: needs to be set to 100% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode
  • Width: settings need to match in both modes if you want them to be the same
  • Time: needs to be set to the middle (1:1) if you want them to be the same
  • Voltage window: needs to be set to 100% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode
  • Ground transpose: needs to be set to 0% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode

This had me puzzled for a short while as it's not fully explained in the manual. I would recommend setting up a default set and then saving that as a preset to enable quickly going back to a 'default state' when starting a new patch.

Also small feature request, it would be really useful to be able to copy & paste channels ;)

* It's amazing how something can be delivered faster from Italy than from the next state in the USA... looking at you Perfect Circuit & FedEx :omg:

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:49 pm

Maybe discovered a small bug, if Voltage Window is set to 0% (ie: no voltage changes) - when going into loop mode the channel stops (no gates). You have to turn up Voltage Window at least 1 click to get it working.

Ras Thavas
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ras Thavas » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:48 pm

So this is actually a feature, and not a bug-

Chaos allows settings to be different for when you go into loop mode. So the speed, density, range and offset can all be set to be different than what you have in the regular random mode.

Chaos will also record any changes you're making to these parameters before you hit "loop", so it will record and store a speed or pitch adjustment. If you save the preset with it in loop mode it should save the data as well, so you can kind of have preset loops saved.

Width can be set to be larger in loop mode than in regular mode if you'd like, but it can't be shorter.
OHEXOH wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:18 pm
My Chaos arrived yesterday* - love it. Considering how much it can do, the interface is super simple and intuitive to use. A fantastic module.

One thing that puzzled me is going into Loop mode sometimes does not play back what you just heard. This has to do with offsets that can be applied onto Loop mode itself. This is done by holding the loop button and a modifier button and then turning the encoder to adjust the offset. What confused me was how to turn this off and return back to a default state where what you hear before is what you hear after activating loop mode.

Here's what I concluded to get a 1:1 mirror:
  • Probability: needs to be set to 100% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode
  • Width: settings need to match in both modes if you want them to be the same
  • Time: needs to be set to the middle (1:1) if you want them to be the same
  • Voltage window: needs to be set to 100% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode
  • Ground transpose: needs to be set to 0% to mirror the same values as when not in Loop mode

This had me puzzled for a short while as it's not fully explained in the manual. I would recommend setting up a default set and then saving that as a preset to enable quickly going back to a 'default state' when starting a new patch.

Also small feature request, it would be really useful to be able to copy & paste channels ;)

* It's amazing how something can be delivered faster from Italy than from the next state in the USA... looking at you Perfect Circuit & FedEx :omg:

Clank
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Clank » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:27 am

If you' re feeling lost with the loop modifiers you can also reset it to the default state by double tapping the loop button.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:48 pm

Clank wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:27 am
If you' re feeling lost with the loop modifiers you can also reset it to the default state by double tapping the loop button.
:sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”