Mutable Instruments Blades

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Post Reply
Cornerman
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Cornerman » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am

Nice a new MI module, good to see the brand back in full swing :)

User avatar
deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:47 am

Wow... Divkids video sold me... darn... sounding great but still sweet, and all those possibilities and CV controllable... :eek: :eek:

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by dooj88 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:56 am

i've not been on the stereo filter train this year as i prefer dedicating space to a diverse filter selection, but the modulation options on this thing look staggering.

User avatar
deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am

"There is no mention of stereo on this page, ykinmkbykiok."

I'm confused by this. Not the acronym, I know what that means. But the allusion that the module isn't stereo. How is it not stereo when it has 2 inputs, 2 filters, 2 outputs, and parallel routing available?

Regardless, I LOVE that it has both Routing and Mode available as continuously variable controls with CV input. This really ticks a lot of boxes for me that other dual/complex filters have been missing. I feel kind of bad for jumping onto another MI hype train but this looks really good... :omg:

DaShmoop
Common Wiggler
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:31 pm

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by DaShmoop » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 am

This looks intensely useful and easy to wiggle. This is for sure going in my next rack.

So we've got one more release from MI? or two? Clouds 2.0 in 2021?!

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Zymos » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:12 am

Cornerman wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:41 am
Nice a new MI module, good to see the brand back in full swing :)
Not exactly “back in full swing”, since we are coming up to the end of new MI modules...

User avatar
starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5093
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:39 am
Location: St Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by starthief » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am
"There is no mention of stereo on this page, ykinmkbykiok."

I'm confused by this. Not the acronym, I know what that means. But the allusion that the module isn't stereo. How is it not stereo when it has 2 inputs, 2 filters, 2 outputs, and parallel routing available?
I think it's more "you can use this in stereo if you want" but focusing attention on all the other things dual filters and drive sections can do in serial or parallel. Lots of great ideas in the DivKid video, both mono and stereo :)

User avatar
greyscales
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by greyscales » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:22 am

Not to join the hype train early but I had to order one.

I love every Mutable module I've tried and this has a lot of clever design choices. And the demo sounds great!

carsenic
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:42 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by carsenic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:27 am

Oh wow, I just got a Ripples but this is perfect for what I want to do. Looks I'm doing some rearranging soon

oliodnb
Common Wiggler
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:54 am
Location: Italy

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by oliodnb » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:48 am

So that's why I'm seeing a lot of nice offers for used filters...

User avatar
evileye0702
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 965
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by evileye0702 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Good luck cramming all that into a micro version.

User avatar
Antlerface
Common Wiggler
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Antlerface » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 pm

Guarantee there will be an unpleasantly small clone soon.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

User avatar
ziggomatic
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:49 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by ziggomatic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:39 pm

Very cool! Reasonably similar to Bionic Lester MK3, no?

enno
Common Wiggler
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by enno » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm

This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!

User avatar
deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 452
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:46 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by deft_bonz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm

enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
:lol:

No help needed, it's how it is. For example I'm fine to have a Minimoog, but I would never ever buy a System 55, even if I'd have millions of unneeded quids lying around.

It's good we don't have all the same taste.

enno
Common Wiggler
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:14 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by enno » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:00 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm
enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
:lol:

No help needed, it's how it is. For example I'm fine to have a Minimoog, but I would never ever buy a System 55, even if I'd have millions of unneeded quids lying around.

It's good we don't have all the same taste.
Fair enuff.

Thinking about it some more - what turns of me off is the sense that MI is taking itself very seriously indeed. For me the perfect opposite is ALM. Love em. They bring out great modules, but they're having fun and not taking everything too seriously. They called their sampler the Squid! :)

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2090
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: VA
Contact:

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by dooj88 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:02 pm

deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm
enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
:lol:

No help needed, it's how it is. For example I'm fine to have a Minimoog, but I would never ever buy a System 55, even if I'd have millions of unneeded quids lying around.

It's good we don't have all the same taste.
let's play a word association game.. what do you feel when you hear "generative ambient" ? just kidding, i love MI stuff, but haven't been interested in the more recent modules either. stages is brilliant, but not for me. i don't want to solve a puzzle every time i need a sequence, envelope or lfo. and marbles sort of felt to me like canned random. i had all that functionality in different modules anyway. and again, blades is an incredible design, and i think i'd want to try it out eventually, but im' currently satisfied with all my filter offerings and not quite ready to explore complex filters/crossfading - because i know there are some very cool things that can be accomplished with it, but i am focused on mastering 2 battleship sequencers atm.

User avatar
Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:46 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Back Down the Path » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 pm

enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:00 pm
deft_bonz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:54 pm
enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
:lol:

No help needed, it's how it is. For example I'm fine to have a Minimoog, but I would never ever buy a System 55, even if I'd have millions of unneeded quids lying around.

It's good we don't have all the same taste.
Fair enuff.

Thinking about it some more - what turns of me off is the sense that MI is taking itself very seriously indeed. For me the perfect opposite is ALM. Love em. They bring out great modules, but they're having fun and not taking everything too seriously. They called their sampler the Squid! :)

I disagree about MI "taking itself very seriously." I think you're reacting to the following around MI, which takes MI very seriously. There's a difference!

User avatar
Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2888
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:14 pm
Location: ABQ,NM

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Zymos » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:28 pm

There are several thousand Eurorack modules out there, and I give you permission to not like all of them, no matter what other people think.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Dammit. I was searching for a new wave folder this morning. Guess that scratches just the right itch at just the right time!

Bachelard
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 481
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:37 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Bachelard » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:54 pm

enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
I'm with you half-way. I'm neither a hater nor a fan-person. I think Stages and Marbles are brilliant and use them all the time, but I do not see the appeal - for how I personally engage with my modular system - of many of the other modules. I do love the concept of the Frames, and on the other hand, think Braids and Plaits are for instant gratification and are terrible tools for learning how to patch a complex tone out of basic waveforms and I would never suggest them for beginners.

I AM a fan of Emilie Gillet, as a person and a designer, 100%.

But that's the beauty of this endlessly configurable instrument - who cares what others think and why one particular company doesn't work for you? I don't believe in canonical knowledge or rules for most things, but especially in modular synth practice. Find the tools that speak to your approach to instrumentality and musical vision, build the system of your dreams, learn in a way that works best for you, learn the things you want/need and skip what you don't care about, and make the sounds that bring you joy. And don't read too much stuff here :hihi:
Last edited by Bachelard on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:03 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Dammit. I was searching for a new wave folder this morning. Guess that scratches just the right itch at just the right time!
If all you're after is a wavefolder, surely there are more advanced options for less money and hp? I assume you also happen to want a dual filter? :hihi:

User avatar
jicamasalad
Common Wiggler
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:57 pm
Location: Berkeley, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by jicamasalad » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:10 pm

enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
Quite right: it is off topic.

Folks are here to get excited about a new MI module - are you one of those people who shows up to a party and then stands around talking about how bad things are?

:sarcasm:

Just kidding! This is a safe space for you to not like Mutable Instruments modules (I guess). ;)
crickets sound best

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 600
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:09 am

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Kawouddd » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:12 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:03 pm
Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:35 pm
Dammit. I was searching for a new wave folder this morning. Guess that scratches just the right itch at just the right time!
If all you're after is a wavefolder, surely there are more advanced options for less money and hp? I assume you also happen to want a dual filter? :hihi:
😂

Not so bothered about the HP. I can fit it. I haven’t felt pulled into anything for a while. Which is good. Two areas I’ve wanted to address are a clean(er) dual filter than the dual Borg I’ve got, which I love to bits but which does have personality; and wave folding. (Offset and scale and EGs are the other two, and perhaps specifically a VPME.de quad drum voice). This nudges towards two areas I’ve wanted to build on, and the price point and divkid video are enough to sell it to me!

Glydez
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by Glydez » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Bachelard wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:54 pm
enno wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:48 pm
This is kinda off topic but I just wanted to find out if it's only me...
For some reason I just dont really feel any attraction to mutable instruments' modules. Not sure what it is. Is it the aesthetic? The naming convention? The fact that their modules are everywhere and I am just being a hater? Help!
I'm with you half-way. I'm neither a hater nor a fan-person. I think Stages and Marbles are brilliant and use them all the time, but I do not see the appeal - for how I personally engage with my modular system - of many of the other modules. I do love the concept of the Frames, and on the other hand, think Braids and Plaits are for instant gratification and are terrible tools for learning how to patch a complex tone out of basic waveforms and I would never suggest them for beginners.

I AM a fan of Emilie Gillet, as a person and a designer, 100%.

But that's the beauty of this endlessly configurable instrument - who cares what others think and why one particular company doesn't work for you? I don't believe in canonical knowledge or rules for most things, but especially in modular synth practice. Find the tools that speak to your approach to instrumentality and musical vision, build the system of your dreams, learn in a way that works best for you, learn the things you want/need and skip what you don't care about, and make the sounds that bring you joy. And don't read too much stuff here :hihi:
As much as this is a priceless community of advice and info, I agree with you 100% - go with what you like the sound of no matter what others think and don’t read too much to try to persuade yourself you are wrong in thinking you like/dislike something!

In regards to Blades... I like it! :party:

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”