Mutable Instruments Blades

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Mutable Instruments Blades

Post by deftinwulf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:18 pm

Kawouddd wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:12 pm

😂

Not so bothered about the HP. I can fit it. I haven’t felt pulled into anything for a while. Which is good. Two areas I’ve wanted to address are a clean(er) dual filter than the dual Borg I’ve got, which I love to bits but which does have personality; and wave folding. (Offset and scale and EGs are the other two, and perhaps specifically a VPME.de quad drum voice). This nudges towards two areas I’ve wanted to build on, and the price point and divkid video are enough to sell it to me!
Gotcha. That's fair enough. I too, would like a Blades and a VPME quad drum. :)

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:47 pm

How does it compare with the SSF Dipole?
Latest music:

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:51 pm

I wasn't really interested until he ran the drums through. That sounded really nice and did the trick very well. This is a very polite sounding filter. Almost too smooth for my taste but I think this would be a great filter for processing external instruments and samples.

Edit: Just watched this video again. For some reason it didn’t resonate with me the first time. Time to go to Modular Grid and see what will be sacrificed from the vision that is not even close to the vision it started out as.
Last edited by Gringo Starr on Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:52 pm

Byzero wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:47 pm
dipole is 4 filters, blades is two. however you can smoothly transition between lp/bp/hp here wereas dipole uses switches.

Byzero
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Byzero » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:59 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:52 pm
Byzero wrote:
dipole is 4 filters, blades is two. however you can smoothly transition between lp/bp/hp here wereas dipole uses switches.
Yeah good shout.
Latest music:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:01 pm

I anticipated a thread would already be on page 3 by the time I got home.

That's it.
THUMPR BC SC

jonnyjupiter
Common Wiggler

Post by jonnyjupiter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm becoming an MI fanboi. There is so much absolutely fantastic stuff Emilie has done. I find it inspiring.
It's very easy to want to dislike the MI stuff because it is everywhere and so roundly loved. It's a bit like hating Apple products. Except MI aren't a trillion-dollar company.
Stand back and take as objective a look as you can and it's hard to argue against the awesomeness of MI stuff.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Nice fully featured filter. The wave folder next to the drive is a nice addition, but I found the pinging underwhelming (compared to the King of the Pings — the Twin Peak Resonator).

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:36 pm

This would make a great filter for add on case sitting near a Matriarch. Guess I need to start saving up. For both. Was expecting a more mind blowing design from MI to be honest, bu that doesn’t make this any less of a great one again. Top marks.
Gaun Yersel!

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:40 pm

The feature set alone is enticing. I've been looking for a replacement for my Dual Borg, and this comes really close. A shame that it's 18HP. If it were 16HP, it would be an easy swap-out. Definitely putting this one on the maybe list for next year.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:48 pm

Thought I was done with filters for a bit, but have never been totally in love with my Morgasmatron, and thinking of this as a replacement. Unlike CaneMan's predicament with 2hp more, this would actually be 2hp less than the Morgasmatron = bonus.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:50 pm

18hp makes it a straight swap-out for the QPAS. Trouble is I would want to keep the QPAS as well! I suppose I could swap them over at intervals when I want to try something different.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:56 pm

Antlerface wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 pm
Guarantee there will be an unpleasantly small clone soon.
redlester wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:50 pm
18hp makes it a straight swap-out for the QPAS. Trouble is I would want to keep the QPAS as well! I suppose I could swap them over at intervals when I want to try something different.
Yeah, there's a spot in my rack occupied by QPAS, and it's where this would go. I'm honestly likely just to keep QPAS, as while this looks like a really elegant and fun module, I feel like the QPAS has more blatant stereo-fu that I enjoy immensely. In a bigger rack, both would be a fun experiment.

It does look nice though, unsurprisingly.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:08 pm

This was a very nice surprise as I have recently been looking for an interesting 12db filter. I really liked the feedback and FM examples from Ben. Ordered from DM. Polaris and my electrosmith filter and VCO modules have been evicted from the main case to accommodate some moves to make room. Unfortunately I now have a new 2hp gap...

gringostar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gringostar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:12 pm

ziggomatic wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:39 pm
Very cool! Reasonably similar to Bionic Lester MK3, no?
Quite a few differences actually with the biggest one being Blades is analogue and Lester isn't.

Also missing from Lester is the wave folding (still has a fantastic distortion though),cv control over the output blend, cv control over everything*, and because the Lester isn't analogue it can't self resonate and be used as an oscillator/LFO.

Blades OTOH doesn't have the notch, all pass, and comb filtering modes, 2 assignable CV inputs*, the preset manager, or clickless VCAs on the inputs.

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Ooof, back to Modular Grid to rearrange everything...
Have a good trip! — Karlheinz Stockhausen

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:58 am
"There is no mention of stereo on this page, ykinmkbykiok."

I'm confused by this. Not the acronym, I know what that means. But the allusion that the module isn't stereo. How is it not stereo when it has 2 inputs, 2 filters, 2 outputs, and parallel routing available?

Regardless, I LOVE that it has both Routing and Mode available as continuously variable controls with CV input. This really ticks a lot of boxes for me that other dual/complex filters have been missing. I feel kind of bad for jumping onto another MI hype train but this looks really good... :omg:
Dual mono isn’t stereo. The signals are compatible but the way the device operates is different between dual mono devices and stereo devices. Dual mono gives you two completely seperate sets of controls that need to be matched by hand to get the same results, for example it’s very hard to dynamically manipulate the two sets of controls on a dual mono device to keep the stereo image if you’re running a stereo signal through.

Stereo devices let you treat a stereo signal as a single entity, and more advanced ones let you manipulate the stereo image within them. The key to understanding the difference between stereo and dual mono is understanding a stereo signal is one signal travelling down two cables. :tu:

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:33 pm

redlester wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:50 pm
Yeah, although I'd be willing to swap my Morgasmatron for a Blades, my QPAS is not going anywhere! QPAS, Belgrad, and XaVCF are all staying in my rack unless something drastically changes.

thewizmusic
Common Wiggler

Post by thewizmusic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:35 pm

How do you guys think the filter compares to Morgasmatron? They look very similar minus the variable filter types and wave folding?

afaafa
Learning to Wiggle

Post by afaafa » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:51 pm

I don't see this as a replacement for QPAS unless you want to take your rack in a very different direction. QPAS excels at trippy stereo imaging, vocal formants, and bell tones, and lots of individual outputs. All things Blades isn't really designed for.

Compared to Morgasmatron you would get wavefolding, smooth blending between filter types, and the shift function. It looks like rather than jumping on the stereo bandwaggon, Emilie did her take on two other trends right now: wavefolding and crossfading. And they're packaged with a filter in a way that looks like it will be very flexible and fast to use.

From the demos the wavefolding sounds great, if you like softer, more "musical" wavefolding. Considering the price of new wavefolders like Anthru and Bifold, I think it's a good deal, and would save some hp. Like most Mutable modules, I think this will excel in small mono systems.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:28 pm

If you want to compare Blades to earlier dual filters, have a look at Sara from DinSync. It has a continuously variable mode from LP to HP, as well as a notch, and CV control over resonance (rarer in older filters). It also couples the two filters in a continuous way (but different from Blades). So not quite the same thing, and certainly no wave folder or drive, but extremely versatile and great sounding. I think I am going to stick with my Sara, Twin Peaks Resonator, and Random*Source Variable Slope VCF. Together they cover the ground of Blades rather well.

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:47 pm

This looks great. Already have a silly number of filters and not going to trade in my stereo dipole, but there's a lot to like about the design. The interface is excellent--honestly, it's always a pleasure to look at the front panel of a module and understand how 90% of the functions operate. The size looks reasonable for normal human hands. The morphing and overdrive/wavefolding functions are simple. Just a solid module that does what it says on the box. I'm fatigued by whizbang modules at this point, so there's something nice about an elegantly designed straightforward module.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by daphnid » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Byzero wrote:
Well, it's more like 2 filters that each have 2 resonant peaks (but it does have 4 cores).

I just bought the Dipole not long ago. Wish this had been out then or that I knew it was coming. Seems similarly clean and more straightforward to use, and the VCable mode switching is sick. I might like the sound of Blades' resonance better based on the DivKid demo. It's cheaper too.

I wish the DivKid demo had some examples of drums passing through its drive section as that's one thing I love to use the Dipole for.

The Dipole probably still wins in a ping-off though.

Blades seems like it sits somewhere between the Dipole and Rossum Linneus.

crumb dinger
Common Wiggler

Post by crumb dinger » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Think I'm gonna need this one. Another rack was always inevitable...

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:33 pm

daphnid wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:53 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Byzero wrote:
Well, it's more like 2 filters that each have 2 resonant peaks (but it does have 4 cores).

I just bought the Dipole not long ago. Wish this had been out then or that I knew it was coming. Seems similarly clean and more straightforward to use, and the VCable mode switching is sick. I might like the sound of Blades' resonance better based on the DivKid demo. It's cheaper too.

I wish the DivKid demo had some examples of drums passing through its drive section as that's one thing I love to use the Dipole for.

The Dipole probably still wins in a ping-off though.

Blades seems like it sits somewhere between the Dipole and Rossum Linneus.
same here, i have the dipole. im happy with it though and really not interested in swapping it out for this.

and still nothing quite beats the klangbau twin peaks for pings though!
this things pings sound good in the vid tough.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”