Modules indispensable for drone

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

thelowerrhythm
Veteran Wiggler

Modules indispensable for drone

Post by thelowerrhythm » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 am

Drone can be a lot of things, but to you eurorack users, what modules have been indispensable to achieve the sort of drone you're after? For me it has been the Noise Reap Bermuda, which has a funky "sine" that I use as the basis for most of my timbres. It feels like soft rubber and is easily cranked this way and that by the self mod knob.

I'm really curious to hear the different ways people approach this. Are you all about the reverb on your tail, or something more innocuous?

As a side note, over in the forum requests section, I have a petition going to create a new Drone subforum, similar to the Synth Noise one. We droners would use the space wisely, would we not? Join in support if you think it's something Muffs could use (and maybe even offer the greater synth community online).
"Ah yeah, you’ve got that strange blend of apathy and self-flagellation that somehow gets you where you want to go."

studio460
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Modules indispensable for drone

Post by studio460 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 am

Everything in my rack! Haha! Drones are my jam! All I'm making are spaceship-engines, robot-chatter, alien Morse code, and warning-buzzers [revised list!]:

• E520 Hyperion Stereo Effects Processor.
• E352 Cloud Terrarium.
• Mutable Clouds, Supercell, etc.
• 1010 bitbox/fxbox.
• Nebulae v2.
• Phonogene v372.
• 2hp Freez.

I have a lot of speech-modules/formant filters and those make for excellent drone-fodder when time-stretched and pitch-shifted. Also, CV-pannable mixers with super-slow LFOs swirling up the stereo-field.
Last edited by studio460 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:54 am

I go for a very simple 3-4 modules set up.
Intellijel Shapeshifter (complex VCO) + Vult freak (VCF, distortion, wavefolder) +/- Klavis twin wave (LFO), Eowave Zone BF (LFO) or Befaco Rampage (LFO, Envelope). And some reverb from the ipad.

SS is amazing, so much to get out of it and the freak sounds so good as digital emulation of analog circuit. Those 2 are a match made in heaven.
Drones for days !

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:55 am

Saw this and immediate thought.. FPV drone.

Granular
Common Wiggler

Post by Granular » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:17 am

I like Arbhar, Morphagene and Nebulae for Drones and lots of Reverb from different sources like Desmodus Versio, ZDSP or FX Aid.

Thumbs up for a Drone Subforum on Muffs!
Last edited by Granular on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

oliodnb
Common Wiggler

Post by oliodnb » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:58 am

thelowerrhythm wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:46 am
I'm really curious to hear the different ways people approach this. Are you all about the reverb on your tail, or something more innocuous?
I'm also curious about this more than modules selection. I like to listen to some drone music from time to time but is one of the genres that remains quite a mistery to me production wise. I mean, I can let my oscillators drone through a reverb and modulate stuff with an Ochd, but it doesn't really make for an "interesting" sound for more then a couple of minutes.

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:46 am

VCOs that Support PWM are a drones little helper.
A matrix mixer is always nice coupled with slow modulation (wonder how many posts it takes till NLC triple sloth is mentioned (seems To be the rings into Clouds meme for droners))

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:02 am

Anything is fair game in my house except shimmer reverb. I wonder what Eno and Lanois think of the sound in which they invested so much creativity being reduced to an overused preset.
Is it finished?
Latest Tune:
Sounds: SoundCloud , Freesound
Racks: Big Case, Top Row, Funboat, Tinicase

cinnatoastg
Common Wiggler

Post by cinnatoastg » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:50 am

cptnal wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:02 am
I wonder what Eno and Lanois think of the sound in which they invested so much creativity being reduced to an overused preset.
Asking the real questions here. Plot twist, ffw 10 years, distorted reverb is the new preset.
WTB/WTTF Happy Nerding HM Vco

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 am

cptnal wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:02 am
Anything is fair game in my house except shimmer reverb. I wonder what Eno and Lanois think of the sound in which they invested so much creativity being reduced to an overused preset.
Agreed. It's rare that I try shimmer reverb and actually like the results, instead of immediately noping out of there.

Sometimes a related idea will work though -- I kind of like using E520's Spectral Crusher to filter out stronger harmonics and then reverb the result. Or a "messy" pitch shift down followed by a highpass filter (or shift up followed by a lowpass) inside of a feedback loop with delay or reverb -- with that patch the devil is really in the details though.

Otherwise yeah, I tend to think of nearly all of my gear -- modular or not, hardware or software -- as being great for drones. Partially because I selected for that, I guess... :mrgreen: But there's no single piece that's "indispensible."

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:56 am

How many voices can you generally put reverb on before it sounds like mush? I only have one dedicated reverb (FX Aid) so far. Itching for a real spring reverb.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:04 am

EASYBOY wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:46 am
VCOs that Support PWM are a drones little helper.
A matrix mixer is always nice coupled with slow modulation (wonder how many posts it takes till NLC triple sloth is mentioned (seems To be the rings into Clouds meme for droners))
7, you were the 7th post. You ohso ticked the R>C box. :tu:

On topic, absolutely agree: a matrix mixer & slow modulation opens a whole universe of drone blisses.

Personally for me, my biggest helper in drones is attentuators. i have an almost entire 104 1u row dedicated to quadatts and I use them constantly for all over the place. Love them to pieces. :love:

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 am

+1 to any array of modules that helps create slow-moving modulations and mix / modify them in various ways. Free-running LFOs and slew limiters can help achieve more ‘off grid’ and gradual shifts. And VCOs with cv control over PWM as mentioned above.

brandonlogic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by brandonlogic » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:26 am

Modulation-
Batuni
Ochd
Sloth
ornament and crime

Control-
Planar2
Tete/tetrapad

Sound source-
E352
Er301

Fx-
Fxaid
4ms DLD
Magneto

Filter-
Stereo dipole

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:32 am

V8+
Sometimes but more seldom voltage block.

And I like tyme sef a fair amount
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

mixxalot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mixxalot » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:41 am

MImeophon from Make Noise really gets me into the serious drone zone along with a slowly changing modulation source like NE Clep Diaz.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/modben

My modular setup (always work in progress)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1391380

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:46 am

Depending on what sort of drone you're trying to make, effects could be more hindrance than help. For example, Eliane Radigue used delay and reverb tastefully, keeping the timbres in the foreground, then on occasion gradually smearing them away later on. The delay may have been reel-to-reel based, I'm not sure. I recommend not using effects at all when first building a patch, only adding them gradually later on, unless that's the specific timbre you intend to build the drone on.

Huge +1 to the above suggestion for attenuation. Subtlety is key. Also good recommendation above for slew limiters to vary how some of your CV changes and shifts. I was going to say mixers for both audio and CV, but the suggestion above for matrix mixers is even better! VCAs to modulate the modulation.

Some specific examples of modules I like for drone and why:
-Tides 2 for slow, related, modulatable modulations.
-Mangrove for low-mid to mid timbral interest, usually on top of other (usually analog but not exclusively) oscs doing bass and sub duties. Audio-rate modulation is fun with this one.
-Low-Gain CVP-1 for buffered, level-adjustable, invertable multing--especially handy when other modules' CV ins don't have attenuators or attenuverters.
-Ladik Fix CV U-080 for true fine-tuning offsets. Can be set to have much smaller ranges than most other offset modules. Or you can just attenuate your offset!
-Morpheum by Division 6 for amplitude and balanced modulation (cleaner than ring mod). You can modulate the modulation with this one.
-Laurentide PRM2 and Pulp Logic Primitive for actual transformers + diodes ring mod.
-bubblesound cvWS for different sorts of audio-rate-modulation textures.
-Rings only using the In, while gently modulating other parameters.
-bubblesound dual SEM20 for one sort of filtering, really flexible patching possibilities here. Can sound really "dark" to me even though it's 12dB.
-Instruo I-o47 for another sort of filtering--interactions between input level and Q, along with its fine tune knob really help expand its sound. Taking the time to dial it in just right is so worth it.
-Streams, I haven't fully gotten the hang of this one, but so far I'm liking what it can do for end of chain, or sub mixes within a larger drone patch.

Edit: P.S. Thank you for the drone sub-forum request. I'd find that useful, myself, and would love to hear all the different takes on this form we all love so much!

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:53 am

DivKid Ochd + some attenuverters make for a superbly simple and effective modulation source for drones

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:54 pm

if there is one key modular element drones dont need (at least thats my opinion) i think its sequencers. I only have a turing machine and i never use it. even think about selling. i would miss its noise out though

namon
Common Wiggler

Post by namon » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:46 pm

I don't know, I use sequencing when droning. Mostly always really.

al_ert
Learning to Wiggle

Post by al_ert » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:00 pm

namon wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:46 pm
I don't know, I use sequencing when droning. Mostly always really.
And how would you do so? Any example patches?

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:29 pm

studio460 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 am
Everything in my rack! Haha! Drones are my jam! All I'm making are spaceship-engines, robot-chatter, alien Morse code, and warning-buzzers.

• Blue Lantern Mini Shimmery: Has a dedicated "drone" output!
• Grayscale Supercell.
• 1010 bitbox v2.
• 1010 fxbox.
• Nebulae v2.
• Phonogene v372.
• 2hp Freez.
• Mutable Warps.
• Roland Aira Scooper + Demora.
• Sherman Filterbank 2.
• All my formant and speech modules.
Have you used the data bender? Ive been considering the phonogene for drone processing, but it's seem like there's a lot of overlap, and data bender can do a lot more.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:46 pm

phonogene
shapeshifter in chord mode (with internal delay as well) through MMG
erbe verb
doepfer 118 for attenuated random and colored noise, also modulating dixie II for wonky LFO
surprised clouds has not been mentioned yet
azimuth for stereo movement

although generally when I want to make drones I will use a few of my mono synths. Octave Cat srm and Yamaha cs-15 in tandem pretty much kill at this

studio460
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:10 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:29 pm
studio460 wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 am
Everything in my rack! Haha! Drones are my jam! All I'm making are spaceship-engines, robot-chatter, alien Morse code, and warning-buzzers.

• E520 Hyperion Stereo Effects Processor.
• E352 Cloud Terrarium.
• Mutable Clouds, Supercell, etc.
• 1010 bitbox/fxbox.
• Nebulae v2.
• Phonogene v372.
• 2hp Freez.
Have you used the data bender? Ive been considering the phonogene for drone processing, but it's seem like there's a lot of overlap, and data bender can do a lot more.
Don't have a Data Bender. I was very interested at first, then later, after listening to more demos, somewhat less. I'll take another look. I got a Schlappi 100 Grit recently which I'm VERY pleased with; it's "better," richer-sounding than my Viol Ruina. Also just bought a Synthesis Technology E440 SSM 2040-filter so I gotta slow down on module-buying for a bit.

Ha! I didn't even know the Data Bender had a one-minute buffer! Now, I have to reconsider!
Last edited by studio460 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brandnewmath
Common Wiggler

Post by brandnewmath » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:11 pm

Doepfer A-138m and A-128, especially if you mult the signal before the FFB and mix it back in after. Lots of mixers in general, in fact. Rossum Evolution--all those CV inputs! I also like effects not at the end of the chain for drones, too--reverbs do interesting things placed elsewhere in a patch.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”