Modules indispensable for drone

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

HZR
Common Wiggler

Re: Modules indispensable for drone

Post by HZR » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:31 pm

Whrn i need a drone i use Folktek Matter2 with Clouds Reverb and slow modulation by a Doepfer A-145

moremagic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by moremagic » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:10 pm

my drones tend to be noisy & chaotic with a lot of feedback in audio & control paths , i find the plague bearer & 196 PLL both go a long way here. i use them both for cv at least as much as for audio, sometimes their wild character shines more that way. the plague bearer especially can create some very nasty cvs in a feedback loop that makes regular vcos buzz or growl

mfaraday
Common Wiggler

Post by mfaraday » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 pm

imo all you really need is a couple oscillators and a mixer with phase inverting inputs to play with phase cancellations

slamcityjam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slamcityjam » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:53 pm

SWN is a great drone machine "straight out the box". Of course you can feed it a bit of random modulation from other sources, but it really is a full drone voice on it's own with 6 VCOs, 6 LFOs, and 6 VCAs.

I've also had great drones made with Cursus Iteritas since it has so many different parameters to modulate.

For modulation I'd say any kind of slow LFO and a few random sources like Marbles is fine for me. I also love QPAS when making drones, slowly modulating the radiate and frequency parameters really creates beautiful stereo depth. Having all those outputs is fun too, routing them to different effect chains.

onurkalaycioglu
Veteran Wiggler

Post by onurkalaycioglu » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:51 pm

mfaraday wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:18 pm
imo all you really need is a couple oscillators and a mixer with phase inverting inputs to play with phase cancellations
yea i was going to say this. im surprised it took 3 pages before someone did. thats my favorite way to make drones with 2 or more triangle or sines slightly detuned with a subtle fluctuating random voltage to one or both pitches to have them beat in and out.

this beating can be expanded upon in many way using wavefolders or filters and vcas fading voices in and out. i also like to delay a couple of the of the voices for more interesting patterns and feedback into a reverb or not.

i think it helps to have many different types of delays and reverbs so the drones can have different characters.

going back to the op
i think vcas and attenuators and slow moving modulation: chaotic, random, or periodic are indispensable. i would also say reverb is but it's more how you use it.

as far as specific modules maybe not indispensable but good for drones(in my opinion)

nlc sloth- one of my favorite voltage sources of all time(im personally not into the hour long frequencies though..)

xaoc zadar- lots of triggerable or periodic slow modulation with somewhat nonlinear shapes in a small space. great to be able to save and recall and morph so many different shapes, almost overwhelming sometimes.

happy nerding fx aid- some of the best reverbs ive heard in euro, and cool delays and chorus and combinations of fx(chorus reverb etc), almost too many fx to choose.

erbe verb: is an easy one since it can even self oscillate on its own and get metallic and shimmery and huge. but i personally dont use it as much anymore it's kind of hit or miss for me depending on what i want to do since some of the erbe artifacts have gotten a little samey for me.

mutable clouds- didnt gel with it when it first came out, but got a micro version recently and it can obviously do some cool things. but in my experience its hard to get what i want out of it.

mutable rings- great for drones, in my opinion, especially using it more as a resonator using the IN.

qubit nebulae2- can smear change pitch/speed and granularize and vocode samples in some interesting ways

qubit chord2- mainly got it to easily recall diminished, augmented, and suspended chords and cool it can do inversions. for me its nice to have the option of a 4 voice digital wavetable oscillator that wont drift and is always stable. in my opinion the wavetables could be better though. also cool it has a detune mode for dialing in your own beating pitches.

not to toot my own horn too loud but my diode chaos is also good for subtle interrelated chaotic fluctuating voltages

not euro but got the hologram microcosm recently and its pretty awesome for drones and makes me realize how powerful a filter and reverb can be on most sounds, especially granularized ones...
Żłob modules, pcbs, and kits available at:
http://zlobmodular.com/

Recent Eurorack compositions on vinyl "Tholins of Kharon"
http://zlobmodular.com/music/

Solo modular synth recordings using Buchla, Serge, and Eurorack:
https://onurzlobnicki.bandcamp.com/album/

Eps by my defunct metal band
http://burningchurches.bandcamp.com/releases

DCDanno
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DCDanno » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:35 pm

onurkalaycioglu wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:51 pm
not to toot my own horn too loud but my diode chaos is also good for subtle interrelated chaotic fluctuating voltages
Toot that horn. Diode Chaos is a great varying voltage source in a small package.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:44 pm

onurkalaycioglu wrote:
mfaraday wrote:
yea i was going to say this. im surprised it took 3 pages before someone did. thats my favorite way to make drones with 2 or more triangle or sines slightly detuned with a subtle fluctuating random voltage to one or both pitches to have them beat in and out.
Certainly that's more my idea of drone. Rich, subtle, pulsing, dry.
I use a lot of AM and wavefolding too.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Erica Black Wavetable VCO
Sputnik Dual VCO
Happy Nerding FM Aid
EMW Multi BP Filter
Intellijel uFold II
Intellijel Forbidden Planet
Doepfer Matrix Mixer A-138M
Doepfer VC Mixer A-135-1
Ladik Joystick Math J-011
Ladik Derivator J-110
Doepfer A-143-9 VC Quadrature LFO (x2)
EMW Triple Triangle LFO w/ slow mods
NLC Triple Sloth
Ladik L-122 Uncertain LFO
Intellijel Planar
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:31 pm

What synth would be best to replicate the sound of an actual remote control drone?
Last edited by Daily.demotionals on Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm

What synth could be used to make the sound of the intro of Crystal Castles - Vietnam?

Here’s the link...

https://youtu.be/o1GnvlwE3g0

waveswinger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by waveswinger » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:42 pm

moremagic wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:10 pm
my drones tend to be noisy & chaotic with a lot of feedback in audio & control paths , i find the plague bearer & 196 PLL both go a long way here. i use them both for cv at least as much as for audio, sometimes their wild character shines more that way. the plague bearer especially can create some very nasty cvs in a feedback loop that makes regular vcos buzz or growl
+1 for the PLL. such a weird module. it always helps any patch sound way more unhinged. for drones it is a great way to add some extra harmonic weirdness to whatever you are doing, mixed with your other sound sources. quickly switching the range can add some totally wack high pitched screams or "fake filter sweep" sounds. i don't think i can ever bring myself to sell it.
north texas electronics

feltandfur.bandcamp.com
demandite.bandcamp.com
waveswinger.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/dead56k

waveswinger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by waveswinger » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Daily.demotionals wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm
What synth could be used to make the sound of the intro of Crystal Castles - Vietnam?

Here’s the link...

just sounds like some slight pitch modulation through a HP or BP filter... but i could be wrong! never been too sure what equipment that dude was using.
north texas electronics

feltandfur.bandcamp.com
demandite.bandcamp.com
waveswinger.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/dead56k

Daily.demotionals
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Daily.demotionals » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:48 pm

waveswinger wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:44 pm
Daily.demotionals wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:34 pm

Here’s the link...

just sounds like some slight pitch modulation through a HP or BP filter... but i could be wrong! never been too sure what equipment that dude was using.
Yeah, just wondering what module would help get me there somehow :despair:

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:49 pm

I sold my A-196 when I found I could patch PLL patches without it. I do sometimes miss the Synchrodyne+Expand though.

But yeah, generally any time you have two or more oscillators beating against each other in some way, whether via modulation or just mixed, that is ripe drone material. Especially with some distortion afterward.

I like a slowly modulated peak or notch filter too.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:05 pm

FSS Recombination Engine. With sync off there is a beautiful drift between the oscillators. Then use Planar to modulate the waveform vcas on the DNA oscillators & the PWM. Also patch Planar to filter (usually Filter 8) cutoff & res.

studio460
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 pm

I just added my post to support opening a drone-thread. I just thought I'd like to hear everyone's definition of the genre. Being new to modular, I'm unfamiliar with what everyone thinks it is. I won't attempt to define it myself, but here's what I like do (and not do) with my modular set-up:

Do:

• Alien and robot-speech.
• Human- and artificial-speech fragments, time-stretched and/or pitch-shifted, used as "voices."
• Spaceship-engine noises.
• Warning buzzers/emergency alerts.
• Use of commercial sound-effects libraries (e.g., thunder, rain, car crashes, explosions, gunshots, etc.).
• Field-recorded, real-world audio (e.g., metal scraping, hammers hitting things, etc.).
• Sound-effects and foley for sci-fi/horror (as a hobby, 'cause I'm not that good at it yet).

Don't do:

• No traditional percussion (and absolutely no electronic percussion).
• No use of chromatic scales.
• No specific time-signatures; though, some FX are synced to a master MIDI-clock.

I have a ton of fixed-architecture synths, so I do chromatic pieces with that gear. I also own a V-Drum kit and an Alesis SR18 (its ROM is almost exclusively acoustic rock-kits), so I'll play traditional drums for those pieces. So far, my modular stuff is quite different, and to this point, has been completely separate from my synth and drum stuff—not necessarily by design—I just seem to have such different thought/creative processes when using the two separate categories of gear.
Last edited by studio460 on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:21 pm

Ahem... every time I think drone I just go back to sunno))) - can we get some example pieces of some good modular drone music?

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:40 pm

studio460 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 pm
I just added my post to support opening a drone-thread. I just thought I'd like to hear everyone's definition of the genre. Being new to modular, I'm unfamiliar with what everyone thinks it is.
That would be a good thread for a drone subforum :)

I've followed peoples' recommendations for "drone" music and been really surprised at what I heard... expecting something like Ellen Fullman or Sunn O))) or the like, but getting something I would have just called slow, slightly folky prog rock. That said, I think there's a pretty wide umbrella of things that can fit under the category.

While I don't quite consider my music to be pure drone, there's almost always at least one drone part acting as the foundation for everything else to be built upon. Then I add other drones to it that complement it in some way -- though not necessarily in unison or consonant with it. And then I might bring in a simple sequence or two and/or an improvised part. No chord progressions, but sometimes the drone will transpose, or different frequencies will be emphasized with a filter or modulation while the original fundamental is still present underneath.

A drone as an anchor for something else is how (some kinds of?) traditional Indian music works, and how several folk instruments around the world were designed (drone strings or chanters etc., rather than chords).

bawbag
Common Wiggler

Post by bawbag » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:04 pm

psienide wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:21 pm
Ahem... every time I think drone I just go back to sunno))) - can we get some example pieces of some good modular drone music?

psienide
Common Wiggler

Post by psienide » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:15 pm

This reminds me of Elite Dangerous from around 12-23.
Also evocative of something you might listen to while reading Lovecraftian cosmic horror.
Pretty awesome.

studio460
Ultra Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Hmmm . . . I guess my stuff is more genre-less. They're mostly just sound-effects.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 am

Doepfer quad LFO/VCO.
mutable insteuments BRAIDS with the Renaissance firmware.
Rings or elements as effects,
TIDES,
But most importantly, FRAMES. The most underrated module ever for evolving modulation that you can actually "play".
I know, I know... Mutable fanboy, but hey, it works.
Oh, and Music Thing Chord organ....

butter
Common Wiggler

Post by butter » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 am

Naenyn wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:41 am
Could I get a deeper explanation of the matrix mixer thing? I don’t really understand how to patch them yet...
A quick way to get your head around them is just think of them as the sends/aux out top section of a console mixer... most euro matrix mixers are rotated 90 degrees though with inputs on the left instead and the aux buses running vertically.

Once that makes sense in regard to audio, you can start to think about how you might use cv sends. And then get on to the modular niceties like additional outputs that give you sums of all or some channels, cv over level or some even have preset features that can sequence through...

EASYBOY
Common Wiggler

Post by EASYBOY » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:10 am

Chopper wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:44 am
Doepfer quad LFO/VCO.
mutable insteuments BRAIDS with the Renaissance firmware.
Rings or elements as effects,
TIDES,
But most importantly, FRAMES. The most underrated module ever for evolving modulation that you can actually "play".
I know, I know... Mutable fanboy, but hey, it works.
Oh, and Music Thing Chord organ....
I always think about adding chords To My drones. Till now i use my tidesv2 in chord mode but it annoys me that i cant use it as lfo then. So i was thinking about chord Organ.
How does it work in your drone setup?

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 am

onurkalaycioglu wrote:
mfaraday wrote:

not to toot my own horn...
I'll toot it since I never tire of doing so: Zlob Dual VCO is two of those oscs in a small (through hole! FWIW) 4hp package for that beating sound, or for audio-rate modulation to add harmonics to your drone. (My two main uses of them.) Its imperfect wave forms are a draw for me, since they add some interest and variety. The fine tune is *actually* a fine tune for dialing in just the right beating rate, and they stay stable over time. I've got two. :cloud:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”