Power and cases

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

Power and cases

Post by seriousziggy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:49 am

Hi everyone ,
I own a pittsburgh modular case - the structure 360- which can output 6A + 12V and 6A -12 v and 5A 5V
its full now and following modular grid my power consumption is 2A on 12V 810mA -12v and 13mA 5V
so my question is could i build another 9U case like the pittsburgh (100hp or a bit less 84hp maybe ) and use a "flying "bus board power cable from one socket on the pittsburgh to power the second case since i still have a lot of amp free (sad to not use them ) or will draw to much energy from one rail of the pittsburgh .
Sorry it might all sound stupid but i m a bit of a newbie
thanks for your help

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Power and cases

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am

That’s not a good way to distribute power. Also you don’t want to max out your power supply. Obviously you’re nowhere near that, and theoretically you could power a skiff off the main case’s power. But to do it in a more reasonable fashio would involve making some sort of inlet on either case and making a custom cable to connect the two, and then obviously connecting each inlet to power supply or distro board.

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seriousziggy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:23 am

hi , thanks for your reply
i'm not planing to reach the 6A but find a bit stupid to have all this power free . was thinking of adding a bit the same which would make the whole like 4A . what do you mean by reasonnable fashion ? ;-)
i was thinking of letting a flying bus cable coming out of the pittsburgh to the other skipp .
what is the difference between a flying bus cable or a distriboard ?

seriousziggy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seriousziggy » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:27 am

what would be the better way to use these "free " power for another case ?

norde
Common Wiggler

Post by norde » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm

Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am
That’s not a good way to distribute power. Also you don’t want to max out your power supply. Obviously you’re nowhere near that, and theoretically you could power a skiff off the main case’s power. But to do it in a more reasonable fashio would involve making some sort of inlet on either case and making a custom cable to connect the two, and then obviously connecting each inlet to power supply or distro board.
Well I am expecting some flying bus cables from Thonk to replace one of the 2 Doepfer Bus Boards of the DIY Kit by connecting it to one of the 14 bus connectors and I thought that it is not so bad idea.

But is it? Cause I would agree with seriousziggy on his plan for the Pittsburgh case.

Sinamsis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sinamsis » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:14 pm

norde wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:43 pm
Sinamsis wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:54 am
Well I am expecting some flying bus cables from Thonk to replace one of the 2 Doepfer Bus Boards of the DIY Kit by connecting it to one of the 14 bus connectors and I thought that it is not so bad idea.

But is it? Cause I would agree with seriousziggy on his plan for the Pittsburgh case.
It's not ideal for several reasons. One the caliber of the wire on those flying cables is very small. In general the ribbon cables we use for power in euro aren't an ideal solution. But we get away with it for the most part. Second, you're not using a star distribution. You might be able to get away with it. Ha between cases it's far from an eloquent solution at a minimum. You may have some issues worst case scenario and you'll abandon it. Ha it won't be an expensive experiment. I'm by no means an expert in the field but I have been "rolling my own" for the past 5 years or so and I've experimented with a few different solutions. In the end, for me, using some sort of XLR connector (some people say this is a terrible idea because it can be mistaken for a microphone jack, but whatever, it's for me and I'm not an idiot), with a custom made cable to bridge the two cases has been the best solution.

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:12 am

There are four pin XLR connectors, so you could safely handle 3 voltage busses and a ground, but I generally use Molex connectors for that sort of thing.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

modeleus
Common Wiggler

Post by modeleus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:30 am

You can do that, but you must know what you are doing. Get the +-12V, the GND, and the 5V from the power source to avoid noise issues and plug them into a passive bus board in the new rack, preferably solid PCB instead of flying bus.

The flying cables connecting both cases may be substituted with a solution as fancy as you wish, with an XLR or with Custom Cable, but remember that the gauge of the wire will make the difference between a functional new rack or a burned wire that may result in a very big problem if it next to papers or wood.

You have plenty of power on that Case but be careful not to get near the limits.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”