Cosmotronic Thru Zero Complex Oscillator - Teaser

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Preferred layout?

Layout 1: Inside to outside (mirrored layout, LPF on the outsides)
65%
Layout 2: Left to Right (duplicate layout, LPF is the most right slider)
35%

Total votes: 17

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Cosmotronic Thru Zero Complex Oscillator - Teaser

Post by deftinwulf » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:58 pm

Awesome looking oscillator, can't wait to check out more demos. My vote for name is "Palindrone"... By far my favorite of the ones that've been suggested.

But whatever you decide, I recommend you say the names aloud a few times before settling on one. Some of them look nice on paper but would be downright annoying to say, IMO. :hihi: No disrespect to the creative folks here, just my 2cents. :tu:

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:54 pm

kybernetik wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:33 am
Another design question we've been discussing at Cosmotronic, would it be favourable to have the sliders symmetric (like in the picture) or mirrored?
So symmetric would have the low pass filter on the outsides, so signal flow is expressed from the centre of the module.

Mirrored would instead have the Low Pass Filter as the right most slider for both VCO 1 and VCO 2. So this way both halves have the same layout, reading left to right, which might help with muscle memory?
I think mirrored and symmetrical are the same thing in my mind. I think having them on opposite ends like in the picture is a cool look.
THUMPR BC SC

gogmagog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gogmagog » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:31 am

Name: Cosmonaut

You've already got a rocket-theme going with your Deltas, so...

M01C
Common Wiggler

Post by M01C » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:21 am

Name: Perron Nul (sorry for the bad EuroCrack through zero joke).

Any news on this module?

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am

One thing that would be nice, if there's room on the board and panel (maybe a minipot above each wavefolder slider?), would be a bipolar DC offset that's summed with the signal fed into each wavefolder (for "symmetry" control).

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm

Wait! This one hits all the bases, right? Through-zero linear-FM, through-zero PM, through-zero AM, ring-modulation, and PWM? Anywho, really prefer sliders. And I think I'm in the "symmetric" camp.

Jumbuktu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jumbuktu » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:07 pm

Nothing really to add on the design, except that it looks great and is definitely on my radar!

I have to say I don't really like any of the proposed names - they all sound a bit contrived and out of character. Given that the other two modules on Muffs are called Delta (a function generator) and Cosmix (a mixer!), I would be inclined to go with something very simple, and try to establish a pattern for future modules. My suggestion would be Alpha or Alpha VCO (as in 'Alpha male'), since it would be the flagship module in the suite, and fits with Delta. But I am not a marketing guru - go with whatever you think is right!

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 am

man that sounds good.

a Palindrone of bolton would be notlob. just sayin.

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:09 am

Name: Propulsion Lab

I'm trying to find a Delta-V and came across this - sounds awesome!

kybernetik
Common Wiggler

Post by kybernetik » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:48 am

So here's a quick update, dev work continues and the latest revision is currently being tested by beta testers.
I've made a few changes since my first post;

- Here's a flow chart of the current signal routings

- PWM on the right channel is now replaced by a shaper circuit that shapes from sine -> triange -> saw. (Sorry Nick Batt)
This way all faders work on the timbre of the main output, and the design is consistent for both voices. And it sounds really great in my opinion.
A lot of work has gone into making all shaping and folding sections gel together, so any slider combination is a sweetspot, with no 'dead zones'

- I've optimized a lot of stuff to reduce power draw, now it draws 170mA from both 12v rails.

- Layout for left and right VCO is now the same from left to right, so Shape -> Modulate -> Fold -> Filter

- We're thinking of calling it Cosmotronic Vortex
autopoiesis wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am
One thing that would be nice, if there's room on the board and panel (maybe a minipot above each wavefolder slider?), would be a bipolar DC offset that's summed with the signal fed into each wavefolder (for "symmetry" control).
Unfortunately there's no more space, but you can use the mod inputs for the Phase and Ring Modulators for a similar effect

I'm preparing everything for production, but we're still dealing with delays of our current modules, so I can't give a estimate release date yet unfortunately
- Cosmotronic -

ferran
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ferran » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:37 am

:yay: Looks nice ! Come on Cosmotronic Vortex !

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:10 am

Looks great. Bring back the white capped knobs though ;)

Stice
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Stice » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:55 am

Exciting news, thanks for the update

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:34 pm

Looks fantastic, very tempted to make this my first complex oscillator when it is available.

How many hp is it Kybernetic?

SavageMessiah
Wiggling with Experience

Post by SavageMessiah » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:34 pm

I liked mirrored layout with the LPFs on the outside a bit more but no biggy. I can see this becoming my second traditional complex oscillator. The fact that both oscillators are equal citizens reminds me of my Cs-L and the fact that there are dedicated inputs for linear vs exp FM fixes what is probably my only real complaint about Cs-L :)

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:11 pm

kybernetik wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:48 am
So here's a quick update, dev work continues and the latest revision is currently being tested by beta testers.
I've made a few changes since my first post . . .
Looks gorgeous! Knobs and slider-cap colors look great to me. Love the ultra-modern, black & white motif and minimalistic design-scheme. I had hoped for the original symmetrical design (made more sense to my brain), but whatever you decide is cool. Looks/sounds like this will be worth waiting for. Looks like this will be my first complex-oscillator as well. I mean, it does everything! Great job!

BlinkyLights
Ultra Wiggler

Post by BlinkyLights » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:31 pm

You should name it Larry.

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:44 am

Sorry to add to the headache @kybernetik but I also agree that the old mirrored layout made more sense to me. It's more congruent with the flow of knob controls on each side and with the flow of square -> main outputs, and having LPF above Main makes more sense to me because Main delivers the output of the LPF.

Anyway, looks great! I'd kinda miss PWM but I bet the new shaper sounds great and works well with the wavefolder.

kybernetik
Common Wiggler

Post by kybernetik » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:03 am

autopoiesis wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:44 am
Sorry to add to the headache @kybernetik but I also agree that the old mirrored layout made more sense to me. It's more congruent with the flow of knob controls on each side and with the flow of square -> main outputs, and having LPF above Main makes more sense to me because Main delivers the output of the LPF.

Anyway, looks great! I'd kinda miss PWM but I bet the new shaper sounds great and works well with the wavefolder.

No problem at all, I think it's nice to be able to discuss the design in this way before a release, and see how people feel about it before it's released.
I've added a poll to this topic, so if you have a preference please submit a vote, and I'll think about it.
- Cosmotronic -

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:14 pm

studio460 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:34 pm
. . . Anywho, really prefer sliders. And I think I'm in the "symmetric" camp.
My vote is in! When I said "symmetric," I meant what the poll now calls, "mirrored." To be clear, I would prefer LPFs on the outsides; e.g., LPF1 on extreme-left, LPF2 on extreme-right. Vote! Your vote actually counts! Thank you, kybernetik, for asking us!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”