MI Kinks Signals Inverted

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

JazzSynth
Learning to Wiggle

MI Kinks Signals Inverted

Post by JazzSynth » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:02 am

I was patching with kinks and looking at the output on an oscilloscope. Both the half and full rectifiers are inverted - the negative half remains and the positive half is cut off. The min and max also appear to be reversed on mine - admittedly I only tested with "In A" patched and "In B" left unpatched. Has anyone else seen this with kinks or another module?

I did try a half-rectified wave from another synth to make sure it wasn't the (software) scope that was faulty and that one appeared the right way up.

I think I've missed the cut-off for returns and it's not a huge deal because I can reverse the outputs of the logic section and send the rectifier outs to an attenuverter if they have to be the right way around. S&H section seems to work fine from previous patches, maybe I should test that too?

stumblefoot
Learning to Wiggle

Re: MI Kinks Signals Inverted

Post by stumblefoot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 am

I’d recommend posting the question over in the Community section on Mutable’s website. Emilie (the owner/designer/engineer) is very active and can probably offer some thoughts.

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 am

Have you got it plugged in correctly? I had a Links act weird and it was I had it plugged in wrong.
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

JazzSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JazzSynth » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:40 am

I think it's plugged in correctly. The red stripe was on the side that said red stripe.

JazzSynth
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JazzSynth » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 am

I did some more testing and comparisons with another logic module. Min/max appear to be working fine. It's only the sign section that is inverted.

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Post by diode_destroyer » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:21 pm

JazzSynth wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:37 am
I did some more testing and comparisons with another logic module. Min/max appear to be working fine. It's only the sign section that is inverted.

I have a recent kinks and it behaves properly (in accordance with the panel graphics and the schematic: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules ... ks_v41.pdf ). I suppose it's conceivable that one or both of the diodes in the precision rectifier are backwards, but I highly doubt that...seems like quality control would have caught that (also I'm not even sure it would work at all like that, I'll do a quick spice check tomorrow). We could both take all the front panel nuts off and compare pics of the component side of the pcb to see if anything weird shows up if needed.

Edit: so a spice sim shows that if you flip the directions of both diodes in the rectifier circuit, then it would invert both the half- and full-rectified signal outputs...so if you are not making a mistake in your testing (see below) then this may be the cause.

I would wager that it is more likely that your kinks is just fine and the way your are checking it is somehow flawed. Hopefully you are comparing the input signal with the output signal simultaneously on your software scope? If so, feed the input into both scope channels just to make sure that one waveform isn't inverted with respect to the other by accident (an invert setting on one of the channels relative to the other or something).
Last edited by diode_destroyer on Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

modeleus
Common Wiggler

Post by modeleus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:44 am

Did your Kinks function properly before? Is it DIY/non-official version? Are you measuring it backwards on the oscilloscope?

Mine works as intended.
The three sections of Kinks are completely independent from each other so it may be the case that the top part has a problem and the other ones are just fine. But by the type of result you are getting I bet that is an unintended measurement error.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”