Rock-Solid Sample/Hold recs

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dragulasbruder
Wiggling with Experience

Rock-Solid Sample/Hold recs

Post by dragulasbruder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:31 pm

While there are currently a handful of excellent options of remarkably accurate sample/holds in the digital domain (Disting, OC, etc) I would still like to retain at least one analog Sample/Hold module in my synthesizer, mostly for audio-rate uses. My ASol SH-NZ has provided years of service, but it's a little large and inflexible for what it is, despite having at least one incredible trick up its sleeve.

Can anyone recommend a simple, small, and extremely accurate SH? Looking for 4hp or less (or rolled into something else cool). My experiences with 2hp's S+H and WMD/SSF Modbox onboard s/h have been dismal. The droop was incredibly fast on both units I used. This didn't really matter at audio rates, but I don't use audio-rate S/H in every patch by a long shot--but I'd still like to retain the capability.

Conversely, can anyone talk me out of my prejudice in favor of analog sample-hold for audio-rate clocking? I've actually gotten fine practical results from Disting Mk4 in a VC-sample-rate-reduction patch in the past, but I understand that input latency and trigger delay definitely factor into the equation. Before I had the OC, I did find audio-rate sample/holds useful in setting up an ad-hoc shift register, since there was no latency in clocking. Perhaps a brighter mind than mine can explain the peaks and pitfalls of the two approaches.
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB Wish List: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1224624

MY MUSIC: https://www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

ari ellis
Common Wiggler

Re: Rock-Solid Sample/Hold recs

Post by ari ellis » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm

The RND Step from SSF/DivKid was designed with pretty much exactly the goals you described, definitely worth a look. 6 S&Hs arranged in pairs, with clever normalling.

discreet-cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Rock-Solid Sample/Hold recs

Post by discreet-cowboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm

ari ellis wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:52 pm
The RND Step from SSF/DivKid was designed with pretty much exactly the goals you described, definitely worth a look. 6 S&Hs arranged in pairs, with clever normalling.
Echoing this... it's exactly what you want. I love mine and it can easily find a place in any patch.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”