ALM - Jumble Henge

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

enno
Common Wiggler

ALM - Jumble Henge

Post by enno » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am

New from ALM and Worng - looks super interesting!
ALM JH.jpg
8 HP
Link: https://busycircuits.com/alm029/
Manual: https://busycircuits.com/docs/alm029-manual.pdf

The Jumble Henge is a 16 input stereo spectral mixer with a unique patch-based mixing interface in a compact space.

Each input has a carefully tuned resonant analog filter and a unique fixed pan value, providing each sound its own space within the mix. There is a Mix control to adjust the depth of the filtering and a clean external stereo input for chaining with another mixer or extra sound source.

Jumble Henge is a space efficient solution for creating rich stereo mixes from a number of both mono and stereo sources, working great in a compact live system or more creatively explored in the studio. Mix down entire patches, sum stereo effect returns or create a complex feedback network all with an intuitive, musically focused approach.

Jumble Henge was designed in collaboration with Worng Electronics and is based on their existing larger and more featured ‘SoundStage’ module. We appreciated the inspiration from the SP1200’s mixer section and how it nicely relates to the Squid Salmple’s output arrangement.
Last edited by enno on Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

deftinwulf
Veteran Wiggler

Re: ALM - Jumble Henge

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:00 am

Very interesting. I love the aesthetic, though I'm not really too certain how this module is different from SoundStage aside from having 14 "stereo field" patch points as opposed to SoundStage's 21. Looking forward to hearing audio demos, especially since I'm looking for ways to "stereoize" mono signals at literally this exact moment. :yay:

maltemark
Ultra Wiggler

Post by maltemark » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 am

What is lost on the Jumble Henge compared to how the original idea was implemented by worng? There's no cv control over mix on either, right?
Feel free to use my old samplepacks: https://freesound.org/people/altemark/
--

blinosynth
Veteran Wiggler

Post by blinosynth » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 am

the cvs on soundstage were pretty awesome, i dont get why the took it away in the new design...
is cheaper ... ok

qwertyuiop
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwertyuiop » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:12 am

Wonder if they’ll be a black panel option from Worng?

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:14 am

blinosynth wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:08 am
the cvs on soundstage were pretty awesome, i dont get why the took it away in the new design...
is cheaper ... ok
Tbh not sure how useful cv over eq depth really would be? More so over level... Yes more CV is always better ;) but as a tradeoff against size I'm ok with it.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 am

I'm now thinking - could this be a good mixer solution? I'd need to pair it up with a set of VCAs with nice manual level controls. Does that exist? Something like a 6 or 8 VCA with sliders? Would be nice next to this.

desolationjones
Veteran Wiggler

Post by desolationjones » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:41 am

enno wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:17 am
I'm now thinking - could this be a good mixer solution? I'd need to pair it up with a set of VCAs with nice manual level controls. Does that exist? Something like a 6 or 8 VCA with sliders? Would be nice next to this.
2 x Mutable Veils mk2

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 am

This is almost perfect. Mixing soft to loud per input is my favourite aspect of MTM Startup.

I was going to get Sound Stage, but now I have to consider this...

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:56 am

qwertyuiop wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:12 am
Wonder if they’ll be a black panel option from Worng?
this would be siiiick

fxxxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by fxxxxx » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:16 am

Seems like a great match with the Salmple as they say. Will be getting it for that at the least.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 am

I'm really curious about how much resonance there is in the filtering. I'll have to give the video a good listen when I get home and have headphones to hopefully really hear the stereo spread and the what the filter sounds like.

I was just about to buy a Nearness as a stereo submixer. This is bigger, but this looks so much more interesting. Great for a small system.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:07 am

THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

bluehotel
Common Wiggler

Post by bluehotel » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:05 pm

I posted on reddit about it, but the gist is this seems like an enticing purchase for someone who wanted a Soundstage but limited in space. You still need VCAs and other utilities to crossfade into the different inputs. I've got an X-Pan and I'm happy with it, and obviously it doesn't have a built-in filter like this. I'm always teetering on giving up on mixing onboard and just sending all my outs to Ableton to deal with panning, but this provides an interesting option for those who want to patch & mix.

Shout out to ALM for collaborating with a great maker. That panel looks fresh with 'Worng x ALM'.

nios
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nios » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:10 pm

As I was reading the description I was thinking "wait isn't that just Soundstage" and then indeed it's stated to be like a condensed version of it. 8hp is pretty small; maybe it makes a better argument for being worth its space than 14 for what it does. I'm not even sure if I would want it vs the original though since the CV options were clipped; if they were still in I'd take a much closer look at it.

I like Worng but to be frank Soundstage is one of those modules that some people seem to like but I really don't quite get the appeal of, vs using something like a Verbos Scan & Pan (or the new Joranalogue Morph 4) with more direct control over positioning your signals exactly where you want. There are multiple VSTs that can mimic placement in a room; I find that I don't really need that in a module unless there was maybe some modular-ish quirk to it lke self-patching/feedback/CV over some options etc.

Golden Goat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Golden Goat » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 pm

ALM should make some kind of channel to attenuate this. I just put an idea together. I have no idea about module design, so I have no clue if this is even possible.
Attachments
Pipslope.png

Dark Barn
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dark Barn » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:39 pm

Would be more enticing if we can get a 2hp expander for Squid Salmple adding 4 outputs for individual routing. :hyper:
I’ve been searchin’ for the dolphins in the sea

The Weak in Review - podcast in ((poetic_stere0)) Spotify YouTube

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:02 pm

This will do some fun with the Vortices paired. Surprised it doesn't have CV for MIX but no big.
THUMPR BC SC

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:27 pm

maltemark wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:03 am
What is lost on the Jumble Henge compared to how the original idea was implemented by worng? There's no cv control over mix on either, right?
My favorite use of soundstage is as a VCA with spectrally mixed oscillator waveform outputs. this smaller one lacks that vca. But you can always use 2x external VCA with this one (but uses more HP than 8 then). Mix CV is great too. Soundstage (and this) also pairs well with something like a Morph 4 or ADDAC VC Rotator to move stuff around the spectrum too. It’s great with multiout sampler modules like assimil8or or squid too ... someone here mentioned you could do the same with a VST, perhaps ... if you want to multitrack ~8 outputs at the same time and setup the EQ/Q in the box (personally, I wouldn’t)

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:07 pm

ALM just keeps killing it. Love this.

wt.info
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wt.info » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm

trying to follow what i think some of u have suggested or alluded to above with VCAs or the Rotator ... but ... what would be the most seamless way of CV controlling new panning arrangements with the jumble? if you're sending a tone to the upper right corner and wanted to bring it left, you'd have to unplug it first? ... unless?

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:52 pm

9:24 in the YT video a few post up.

It takes a bit.
THUMPR BC SC

wt.info
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wt.info » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm

thanks for the heads up!

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:25 pm

I think I like this just for the name.

buyingitwontmakeucool
Common Wiggler

Post by buyingitwontmakeucool » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:06 pm

wt.info wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:41 pm
trying to follow what i think some of u have suggested or alluded to above with VCAs or the Rotator ... but ... what would be the most seamless way of CV controlling new panning arrangements with the jumble? if you're sending a tone to the upper right corner and wanted to bring it left, you'd have to unplug it first? ... unless?
Hey sorry left you hanging on that :) you would need to plug into both the upper right and upper left corners and then crossfade or switch between those two cables via some other modules. You could use two channels of a VCA and use an LFO for one channel and its inverse in the other channel. Or use a crossfade module like Morph 4 or Planar, etc. The VC Rotator wouldn’t be a smooth crossfade ... it would jump around between the four (or fewer) spots you patch into. Both can be great!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”