ALM - Jumble Henge

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler

Re: ALM - Jumble Henge

Post by acgenerator » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:38 am

This caught my eye at first but as I looked into it deeper, I likely won't buy one.. but I'd give one a try if I got one in trade.

Here's what I don't like:
- needs additional modules to move individual signals around the stereo field
- Singular control for depth control filter bands + no filter bypass by channel
- no control (much less CV) for the L/R balance

A "spectral tilt" or "pan & scan" type option would make this significantly more appealing module.

In short, the problem is this doesn't add any dynamics on it's own... it's essentially a limited fixed filter bank with individual inputs / stereo out. It doesn't really add any capabilities to most larger studio setups. A small skiff / live setup likely won't have the robust controls to make full use of this module.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:02 am

enno wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:41 am
Jumble Henge was designed in collaboration with Worng Electronics and is based on their existing larger and more featured ‘SoundStage’ module. We appreciated the inspiration from the SP1200’s mixer section and how it nicely relates to the Squid Salmple’s output arrangement.
Both look awesome! I appreciate this being the first time I've heard about the Worng module, too.

I suppose, in terms of differences, it might come down to the filters inside both units. Are they identical or have different character attributes? — or maybe even mixed multiples of the same filter in one, compared to the other?

If different filters, I'd guess ALM to be smoother and Worng to be more aggressive. If they're different filters this could be a cool set to own together.

1n
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 1n » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:46 am

acgenerator wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:38 am
it's essentially a limited fixed filter bank with individual inputs / stereo out. It doesn't really add any capabilities to most larger studio setups. A small skiff / live setup likely won't have the robust controls to make full use of this module.
...unless ALL you want is a reasonably priced, unique (except for its more expensive sibling), stereo mixer and filter combo with 14 outs - in 8hp ;)

Edit: ins!

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:22 am

•welp this module was not in my budget plan

•ALM gets a big cheers from me for having hands down the best demo/breakdown/application videos. thorough and listenable and full of great places to start.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:29 am

Indeed! I dont think I’ve watched their demo since the Taiko and man are they engaging!
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

yellowecho
Wiggling with Experience

Post by yellowecho » Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:43 am

I have a Soundstage and I still want one for my ALM case.
It's a shame it doesn't have the master volume CV but I love the smaller HP and external input!

Corrupt
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Corrupt » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:58 pm

The ALM Music Mouse video was one of the greatest – possibly THE greatest – synthesiser videos of all time.

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:21 pm

So what if you want a voice dead center, what is the appropriate input for that?

Edit: ah, I get it: the inside inputs are normaled, so yoou need a dummy patchcable to set it off center.

acgenerator
Ultra Wiggler

Post by acgenerator » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:05 pm

1n wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:46 am
acgenerator wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:38 am
it's essentially a limited fixed filter bank with individual inputs / stereo out. It doesn't really add any capabilities to most larger studio setups. A small skiff / live setup likely won't have the robust controls to make full use of this module.
...unless ALL you want is a reasonably priced, unique (except for its more expensive sibling), stereo mixer and filter combo with 14 outs - in 8hp ;)

Edit: ins!
Right but speaking from a large set up POV...
- it's a very basic mixer which is reliant on the multiple VCAs/switching to create any dynamics. The best use for this in a large setup will likely be for side-channels / sub-mixes. If you intend to use for the main mix, it's an extra step in the signal path as you would already be split into multiple channels.

- as a filter it has very limited control. For for a singular low-harmonic sound source, it would be less robust than a typical Fixed Filter Bank, Multimode Filter, or good resonant filter like Three Sisters. It might be okay for voices with a lot of harmonics (like a heavily wavefolded sine or super-saw) to make them sound "thicker" or have the timbre nuances pan differently. It would likely work fine for a drum kit outside of the main kick.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:37 pm

Any price announced yet? The $350 for Soundstage was putting me off, so I got a Nearness instead.

baleen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by baleen » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:38 pm

$285 at Control

parsec foley
Learning to Wiggle

Post by parsec foley » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:07 am

I was about to buy the second Soundstage to have separate stems for rhythm and sounds, and then this... like me, ALM seems to have appreciated a lot the ingenious idea of Worng Electronics of a mixer which is not a shrinked expensive copy of a tabletop one but a proper modular concept for those who needs lots of inputs and look forward to carve an EQ bed for their layers of voices (and pan them too). I sincerely prefer to have these boxes tickled then to have further control over pan and volume. I just added some passive attenuation for those channels which are lacking of level control of their own and I barely feel the need to move dynamically a mono sound in the panorama field: for that I use stereo modules which are very welcome on the Soundstage/Jumble Henge inputs.

I have to admit I miss the center channel of Soundstage: the solution here is brilliant but at the cost of another channel, gotta think in terms of a cheaper and smaller module too.

The real thing which I miss is mutes and especially aux sends, like there could be a switch to turn on a send in common for each row. For this I reason I paired the Soundstage with two LPZW Plagwitz, https://www.modulargrid.net/e/lpzw-modules-plagwitz-mk2 but it should be easier and more modular friendly than this, too many cables in order to copy a common mixer scheme. Any suggestions, thinking about to solve the sends need with other modules?

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:22 pm

I tend to use my Soundstage to mix my FX returns, but then that ties it up to that one use - I really need to experiment with some panning and feedback patching after watching that video - especially since I just got a Planar 2 today. Since this is only 8hp this, could pair well with the soundstage.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:21 pm

I’m thinking of the incredible little mixes I could produce with this paired with my Vorticies, but I already have an ES-9 so mixing everything in the rack feels very wasteful!

Still...

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm

I think of it as sculpting rather than mixing.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:58 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 pm
I think of it as sculpting rather than mixing.
Fair. I can certainly thing of many uses outside of producing a final mix. Very cool and functional module that I will probably try out one day!

Noi del Prat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Noi del Prat » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:20 am

I like the approach, I see the obvious limitations but I also see immediacy of nice results.
What would the pros and cons be comparing Jumble Henge Vs a conventional stereo mix module?

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 am

Noi del Prat wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:20 am
I like the approach, I see the obvious limitations but I also see immediacy of nice results.
What would the pros and cons be comparing Jumble Henge Vs a conventional stereo mix module?
The obvious cons are having to fix volume before mixing and everything gets filtered equally much, if you can deal with that I think it’s pretty ace.

Pros is it’s very intuitive and it feels very freeing to mix like this imo.

I’ve got a soundstage and the only thing I want is for it to be a bit smaller since I’m in 6U, so I’ll be getting in on this.

trickness
Veteran Wiggler

Post by trickness » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:30 pm

This module is a perfect example of what is so great about eurorack - It’s an unusual module that goes about doing things in a different way, ALM is certainly not trying to say it’s the end all be all end of chain mixer. Seems pretty certain that this will bring some interesting results, it’s a pretty reasonable amount of HP, it’s not crazy expensive. That it can exist amongst all the other options out there and work for some people, not work for others is ok. Especially when combined with some ALM’s other modules, like the Boss Bow Two, I think this will be a lot of fun. Not everything has to be the final solution in modules.

BlackDoors
Common Wiggler

Post by BlackDoors » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:36 pm

I'm in. I have a medium-large system and like having a few stereo mix busses available for compression, stereo FX, or just assembling stems and submixes for recording. At just 2HP more than an intellijel Mixup, the functional density feels good, going to give it a go! Can imagine it working well for assembling percussion mixes.

John
Last edited by BlackDoors on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nsolarz
Common Wiggler

Post by nsolarz » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:38 pm

I'm excited for this. I'm hoping it will make a solid drum mixer so I can replace my Roland 531 in less than half the HP

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:35 pm

1n wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:44 am
This is almost perfect. Mixing soft to loud per input is my favourite aspect of MTM Startup.

I was going to get Sound Stage, but now I have to consider this...

[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
:hihi: :hihi: :yay: :yay:
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:00 pm

It looks lovely but for me it's too expensive for what it is.
Avant Garde a clue

bhmcc
Common Wiggler

Post by bhmcc » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 pm

Wondering if ALM is planning an expander module for VCAs or level control?

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:12 pm

bhmcc wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:55 pm
Wondering if ALM is planning an expander module for VCAs or level control?
There’s no expander needed, you can patch through any VCA into an input.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”