Cure for GAS?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Re: Cure for GAS?

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:13 pm

funeralcake wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm
tdallas wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Jon Ingram
:hide: pleasedon'ttellmymom.
Best laugh I’ve had in months. 15 grand well spent.

The cure for GAS is accepting that acquiring things to try them out a while and then selling them when you get tired of them or realize you don’t use them is part of this thing we do. Most people had almost no access to trying out these modules before buying prior to COVID, and now almost no one does (here in this hell hole anyway).

Anyone who can maintain a small system for a long period of time deserves some type of award (or to be thrown in jail for potential futurecrimes, either is appropriate).

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 am

I came up with a rule for myself: I wait one month before buying any new gear of significant value.
If I still want to buy it after a month and I can afford it, I'm allowed to get it.

This usually weeds out the gear that is pure over-hyped GAS vs gear that's deeply appealing to me :-)

Try it: Give yourself a permission to buy something after a month. Usually, you'll find that you're not really interested in <insert any new shiny toy here>.

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 am
I came up with a rule for myself: I wait one month before buying any new gear of significant value.
If I still want to buy it after a month and I can afford it, I'm allowed to get it.

This usually weeds out the gear that is pure over-hyped GAS vs gear that's deeply appealing to me :-)

Try it: Give yourself a permission to buy something after a month. Usually, you'll find that you're not really interested in <insert any new shiny toy here>.
I have like a list of at least 10 modules that I would probably buy immediately, if I had the money, and that pertains since easily a year... So I am not sure if this works for me :D

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:08 am

hehe too true! You just work down the list... ;-)
LunaticSound wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 am
I have like a list of at least 10 modules that I would probably buy immediately, if I had the money, and that pertains since easily a year... So I am not sure if this works for me :D

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:

I do this too, but I use one week instead of a month. I reckon a month works better! Haha. 😅

Kubase
Common Wiggler

Post by Kubase » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:53 am

Not read the whole thread but for me, reading manuals and digging in. Particularly for big and/or complex modules. Really rinse them. The only deal breaker for me is pure sound - if I just don’t like it it goes and invariably gets replaced but that’s not happened for a long time.

Example for me. I got a Nerdseq with the midi expander, and suddenly wanted a Minilogue or Hydrasynth to sequence from it. Almost bought one of them. But I always have my DAW on for FX and have Omnisphere and Diva on it, so I dug into my midi routing and the manuals for those synths. Turns out Diva has key off issues but Omni works like a dream. So that’s my poly now and I saved some money.

tokidoki
Common Wiggler

Post by tokidoki » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:03 pm

vromr wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm
Child psychology applied to wigglers… you’re onto something.
Check the Kurt Russel advice...

ipnoteca
cane morto

Post by ipnoteca » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:12 pm

once i learned that everything, specially recently, in eurorack is overhyped, i found the cure for my gas.

it took me quite few years to learn this, and lot of money wasted. once you learn you will not forget.

i now buy only what i really need to get the sound i am after.

now i find myself buy like 1 or 2 modules a year.

also one module bought, one module sold.
i've blown a fuse...

previously robocoder

YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/ipnoteca
INSTAGRAM http://www.instagram.com/ipnoteca/

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:43 am

after a certain point, the hassle of learning a new module outweighs the desire to disrupt the flow you've established within the system. sometimes you just want to sit and get an idea out without referring to manual or whatever. that's of course after you've found everything you need, so god help the wigglers just getting started. insane amounts of complex options out there.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Ok. The author of these lines has reached his limits with MI Beads this week... no joke. It is going back 99.9% unused to the reseller - but not because of the fantastic module itself. I have realized that the only reason why I bought it was the hype ... there was 0% reflection involved about how it might be useful in my rack. This is completely stupid IMHO and also blocking a module which might be more beneficial for other wigglers. I mean ... look at the Beads thread.

Furthermore I have realized that the joy of creating music was completely replaced with a growing need for searching and buying gear! This might sound a little bit stupid coming from a wiggler with only one of those funny dancing :goo: guys but this has to stop!

I had the most fun at the beginning in 2018 with just a small bunch of modules. And what is even the point of "spare modules" ("Oh look! There is another filter behind the socks!"). So maybe this unexpected higher state of consciousness in the face of the holy grail of granular processing is a cure for my GAS and the chance to really learn the existing gear ... :boat:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:38 pm

justchillingggg wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:15 pm
I do use the things I have though ... but it’s become a habit, every time just before I go to bed, I start searching for new shiny modules
Stay off of the Internet music sites for six months (you can do it). Then you are amazed at what is new instead of keeping up with the Joneses.
FS: Pedals, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:24 am

StrangeAttraction wrote:
That sounds like a good idea in principle, however with the short supplies and high demands that’s a sure way to not buy anything at all. Which might be what curing GAS is all about, just saying.

In my case the worst case of GAS has indeed been with impulse buying followed by the sunk-cost fallacy. I think that’s how I somehow slid into Eurorack obsession. The pandemic didn’t help for sure.

For example impulse buying Chainsaw because it was a little 4 HP and sounded great, then realising that I still haven’t solved my chord sequencing problems to feed its 3 CVs. So ended up with Arpitecht+Triad 16HP. That was 20HP taken off my case for an original 4HP spend plan... (I’m unrepentant though, they are great fun... sorry shouldn’t say that here, just don’t do it :doh:).

I think most impulse buying can be dealt with by sleeping over it. Maybe a bit longer if the module is not in high demand. Typing this I realise I have probably a very severe case of GAS.

Maybe we can borrow some ideas from AA. What if we were posting here the number of days without buying any module. That would definitely help other people holding their GAS in check. We need someone with a worthy enough anniversary to start to inspire the group (it’s only been two days for me :despair:)

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:20 am

Kosmikos wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:24 am
For example impulse buying Chainsaw because it was a little 4 HP and sounded great, then realising that I still haven’t solved my chord sequencing problems to feed its 3 CVs. So ended up with Arpitecht+Triad 16HP. That was 20HP taken off my case for an original 4HP spend plan...
Haha! That is what happened to me when the chainsaw was available again. But at least I canceled the order of Arpitecht+Triad in time after reading a bit more about it and came to the conclusion that it is not necessary ... but that is exactly the rabbit hole on my side. Always on the search for the next "inspiring" module and ignoring that there is already enough gear sitting in the racks patiently waiting to be used!

Regarding the AA idea -> day 1 ;-)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:02 pm

The only cure for GAS is poverty.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:44 pm

Mindfulness is the only true cure for GAS.

Being true to yourself, including being lenient when you feel the urge to buy something. Don't berate yourself if it happens. And understanding that we are a consuming species, with urges that are nay impossible to always keep at bay. Especially these days of unrelenting consumerism. Remove some of the sirens if you feel they're urging you onwards a bad habit. MW, MG, other two letter places, YT, IG, FB. Take a step back from when you want to buy, to give yourself some space from that part of yourself that's whispering promises. There is absolutely NO offer that cannot be found again. There is no module that will fill the case. There is no piece that is really missing. Also, keep in mind that the urge is real, you're not alone, we all struggle with it, I've struggled with it for years, but the urgency itself is fake. Spend time to really check how you feel and what story you tell yourself before you buy, while you make a purchase, after, and after you have the module. Figure your habits out and why you act the way you do sometimes, especially if it's not consistent with other parts of who you are.

Start where you are
Use what you have
Do what you can

I give myself distance before I buy. Weeks, days, maybe a month. Sometimes that doesn't work but I try to be in contact with myself. Making music usually helps realize that I don't care for anything extra. Fantasizing about music does not. I have realized how much my brain enjoys troublesolving, hence I spent an inordinate amount on MG, fixing problems; more than I spent with actual case designs I've made on MG. I've changed since.

Really, try to be truly mindful about what your mind goes through when you want to buy things and talk with yourself in an honest and understanding fashion.

I can't stress this enough. Mindfulness i s the solution. I know it might sound mundane, or boring, or unfun, but for some people things can turn ugly and bereft of creativity. Consumerism can lead to doldrums and owning too much can be a problem for your creativity. Hope the above helps, it is coming from a very honest place.
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

drowld
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by drowld » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Nice post Paranormal Patroler.
Giving time is good.
I'm having way less GAS when i'm staying away from Muff or any other place where people talk gear all day.
Some pay need to stay away from this forum to help their GAS. We are all different i'm part of thoses who need to quit totally at least for the time being
WTB: Intellijel Quadrax, Klangbau Twin Peak Resonator, dplr

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:11 pm

Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:44 pm
... There is no module that will fill the case ...
This is the key mantra!

electricfence
Wiggling with Experience

Post by electricfence » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:29 pm

Isn’t Mindfulness an Easter egg mode on Beads?

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm

electricfence wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:29 pm
It's actually an easter egg on each of our brains.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:57 pm

Mindfulness is really the answer!
Finding space between the impulse (those amazing demos, FOMO, shiny new toy appeal) and the response and conditioning.
Also, assessing if the modules you bought in the past on an impulse have given you the use and satisfaction that you thought they would.
We're all human after all so thread gently on yourselves (reminder to self) :-)
I've been on a hunt for my first poly for about 3-4 weeks now. I've been close to pulling the trigger a few times (Novation Peak was so hyped by several reviewers that I got very close to buying it - so glad I didn't because I realized I'm looking for something either much cheaper if digital or similarly priced but analog). Got about a week or two before I'm "officially" allowed to buy something.
The downside is that in the meantime, new modules came out in euro (Metropolix being one), so now I'm thinking whether I should really buy that poly after all...lol. Going to sit on the decision for a while...

Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:39 pm
electricfence wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:29 pm
It's actually an easter egg on each of our brains.

Eurocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Eurocat » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:27 pm

Instead of buying gear now I spend my money on crypto. I’m hoping at some point this will give me enough money to buy any module or since that I want

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:39 pm

When you realised that most of my favourite albums have been made with a minimal setup, it might helped you to understand that creativity does not depend on gear. With some imagination, you can always find a way to create the type of music you want to make with hat you already have (and it's more satisfying). In any way, G.A.S. is no healthy behaviour.

Pelsea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pelsea » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 pm

The GAS I have is controlled (see earlier post) for the most part. However, it is exacerbated by certain triggers. Some of these date back to my childhood, like Christmas and my birthday. It’s also triggered by windfalls like a check from my publisher. (That one is OK, it’s why I put the books out there in the first place.) Understanding that is helpful, I think. The trick is to stay with the plan until the last case is full, then focus on the music.
Books and tutorials on modular synthesis at http://peterelsea.com
Patch responsibly.
pqe

pieter
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pieter » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:59 am

Pelsea wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 pm
The trick is to stay with the plan until the last case is full, then focus on the music.
Don't plan to focus on the music in the future. Focus on the music now. In most cases the current rig is perfectily capable. It is nice to have a goal for the rack, but I think that part of the problem with GAS is the mindset of "if I have this thing I can finally make music".

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:53 am

pieter wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:59 am
Pelsea wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:41 pm
The trick is to stay with the plan until the last case is full, then focus on the music.
Don't plan to focus on the music in the future. Focus on the music now. In most cases the current rig is perfectily capable. It is nice to have a goal for the rack, but I think that part of the problem with GAS is the mindset of "if I have this thing I can finally make music".
Especially if it doubles up as "without this I can't make music"! Very good point.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”