Cure for GAS?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

diode_destroyer
Common Wiggler

Re: Cure for GAS?

Post by diode_destroyer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:01 pm

cptnal wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:39 pm
Buy all the modules ever.
Yes. This. Buy all the modules there are to buy. Make all the modules there are to make. Design some of your own and make those. When that's done you'll probably find yourself out in the woods hitting trees with sticks and recording it...

mmontazeri
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mmontazeri » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Order Beads. Tell yourself it's ok. Everything will be fine. Life is short. We will all die.

Ears
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ears » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:55 pm

I was thinking that at least an a piano player I had an area where I was free of all this. Then I looked at my stacks and stacks of sheet music... No way will I ever learn all that!

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 pm

Tbh the metropolix looks underwhelming, and granular/Beads looks unexciting. I’m glad I’m not waiting in any lines for them. I’m looking forward to some IME restocks more than anything

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 pm

Posted by allgolden on the Modular Memes thread but it needs to be posted on here. Imagine if it played when you clicked on the Buy it Now button or when the card payment is going through.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 am

+1 for taking time - time to research, time to plan and time to learn. With hindsight: two bouts of redundancy / unemployment meant I had way more time to research and plan than originally expected. The result: there's only one module I'm not totally happy with.

Sure, I still have a couple of sketchpad and wish list systems on modulargrid, and could easily fill another 6U 104HP case tomorrow, but am in no immediate rush to do so (even if I had the money).

When researching gear now, I try to do so from a negative point of view and look first, for the problems people are having with it, be it with the module itself or the service / support behind it. I've also evolved a 'two monthly paychecks rule' - if that length of time has passed since first liking something and I can't find enough wrong with it to deter me from buying, then and only then will I pull the trigger / put it on the shopping list. This helps prevent impulse buying.

Other anti-GAS aids include taking inspiration from 'Three Module Challenge' and 'Lunchbox System' videos, to remind myself just how much other people get out of minimal amounts of kit. Listening to electronic music from the 1950s - late '60s serves the same purpose.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

Electro Something
Common Wiggler

Post by Electro Something » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 am

STOP READING MUFFS!!! :foul:

You’re trying to stay sober while spending your free time chatting with thousands of alcoholics, who only talk about how awesome alcohol is all day long. :hihi:

Kybernaughty
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Kybernaughty » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:13 am

Do not, I repeat, do not start another hobby, you‘ll be fighting fire with fire! Yes, you‘ll spend less money - and time- on gear and music, but you‘ll bleed no less. GAS is the enemy of creation, as I know just too well, At one point my studio of 100 synths just overwhelmed me- now I‘m down to five plus a modular and the fun is back. And yes, MG helps against those bedtime buying sprees.

jingo
Common Wiggler

Post by jingo » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:43 pm

Face it, there is none !! ;)

Kosmikos
Common Wiggler

Post by Kosmikos » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:44 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 am

You’re trying to stay sober while spending your free time chatting with thousands of alcoholics, who only talk about how awesome alcohol is all day long. :hihi:
This. :nod:
Probably best to avoid youtube and unsubscribe from the shop’s newsletters too. Just got knowledge of some very expensive module I’d sell my kidneys for through a newsletter.
YouTube got me into Eurorack (I blame Matths actually :lol: ). Watching DivKid’s videos is a recipe for bleeding money.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:53 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:18 pm
Posted by allgolden on the Modular Memes thread but it needs to be posted on here. Imagine if it played when you clicked on the Buy it Now button or when the card payment is going through.

I can't unhear this. I'm cured.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:29 pm

Electro Something wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 am

Stop reading muffs, stop reading the news, stop reading gear news, sonicstate, matrix synth and definitely don’t bother with YouTube. Invest your time with people you love and occasionally make a ditty or two.
You do get to a point where you have enough stuff though. You can’t take it with you..

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:16 pm

Muff McMuff wrote:

Relevant:
useless

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:17 am

the cure is realizing you're not actually finishing more music, but less. Every new module is a myth that will let you finally complete that song, if only you got that final puzzle piece. Step outside of your head and realize what you're doing. Then think backwards, what is actually missing from my studio to complete my music? Is it a module or is it me avoiding the difficult part of sitting down and actually doing the hard work of completing. At least this is my internal dialogue :)

LunaticSound
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LunaticSound » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 am

Some golden words and a beautiful little meme to remind you of 'em right here on this page :D

PianoPets
Common Wiggler

Post by PianoPets » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 am

zerodivide wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:17 am
Is it a module or is it me avoiding the difficult part of sitting down and actually doing the hard work of completing. At least this is my internal dialogue :)
That is so true! At least for me.

I guess that both cause and cure are pretty individual things. But I can certainly relate to the above in my (musical) life. That goes for both modules and software (and DAW’s in particular).

I guess the first and most important step is to realize what’s going on inside.

Anyway, thanks for many good inputs in this thread :tu:
".... I have attempted to replace the element of skill considered necessary in music by the skill of judgement."
- Brian Eno.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:47 am

Muff McMuff wrote:

[the video]
I've tried this but ...
huiiii.png
huiiii.png (70.01 KiB) Viewed 284 times
funeralcake wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:16 pm
Relevant:
Wow! I love it! :moneyburn:
Last edited by tdallas on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

knifey
Veteran Wiggler

Post by knifey » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:04 am

As far as modular goes, I GASed badly for the first 5 years, pretty much constantly swapping things in and out of my system, until I actually found an almost perfect balance of modules that made a system that I really connected with creatively. So, it does take time, and it's not purely GAS. There is no cure when the instrument allowed me exactly to experiment with new functiinalities and sounds. I got the GAS out of my system for about a year, and then went through a bit of a binge last year, though I'm sure COVID had a bit of an affect on my relapse for filling emotional and creative voids during lockdown.

I think that if you are lucky/privileged enough to be able to afford buying and flipping things, just do it (responsiby)and don't judge yourself too harshly. Consider the $ loss of swapping modules as a rental fee for learning it and acquiring some new knowledge (or even a song or too) out of it. Looking back, i was really guilty about a constantly shifting system, but I also learned a LOT from thise transient modules that I apply to using my system today.

If the GAS is really hampering your creative output (which it gas for me), don't be too hard on yourself about that too. Again, it took me a number of years to figure out what kind if a personal voice I wanted to or could create with a modular system, and even that (what you want to express) changes. Also, constantly be thinking outside the box of what you think a module can do.

I think all of us here are incredibly privileged to be able to engage in modular as a tool for our work or as a hobby, and I do think we sometimes take our GAS a little too seriously. I mean, if it becomes an unhealthy addiction that is compromising other areas of life, then it is serious. But if it's about the excitement of reading about new modules and feeling guilty about wanting a Beads, and you can actually afford it, or can afford selling something for it, then just get over it, buy it, make some music that makes you happy, and move on.

tdallas
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tdallas » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm

Hahaha! I can't stop laughing ... thanks @funeralcake (and Jon Ingram?) for this channel!

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:46 pm

Stay off Modular Grid. The more time I spend on there, the more GAS that I have.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 pm

tdallas wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm
Jon Ingram
:hide: pleasedon'ttellmymom.
useless

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Lux A Turner wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:39 am
I've also evolved a 'two monthly paychecks rule' - if that length of time has passed since first liking something and I can't find enough wrong with it to deter me from buying, then and only then will I pull the trigger / put it on the shopping list.
This my *partly joking* rule for my children. Whatever it is you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE, put it on a list with a date and if you still want it in 6 months, I'll get it for you. Works a charm. Most things fall off the list after 6 months, which is a long time in a child's life ... and a Muff's life. mmm I see a video coming: "It's a Muff's Life".

vromr
Common Wiggler

Post by vromr » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm

Child psychology applied to wigglers… you’re onto something.

ronaldroy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ronaldroy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm

vromr wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:57 pm
Child psychology applied to wigglers… you’re onto something.
Isle of Man?

lukemodular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lukemodular » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:18 pm

There are infinite sound worlds available for free or a one-time cost of you are willing to use your computer, for which the modular can supplement. This is my approach given limited budget.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”