Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by ima_jrk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:20 pm

@intellijel - how far away can the GX expander be positioned? Thinking of picking up a 62hp palette to host this, tet, and tetrapad, but I would want the expander too and would have to host in a 1u to 3u adapter (unless a 1u Gx will be released). Thanks!

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:01 pm

ima_jrk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:20 pm
@intellijel - how far away can the GX expander be positioned? Thinking of picking up a 62hp palette to host this, tet, and tetrapad, but I would want the expander too and would have to host in a 1u to 3u adapter (unless a 1u Gx will be released). Thanks!
According to the manual the Gx is connected to the Metropolix using a I2C cable, so if the cable that comes with the expander isn't long enough, you could just buy one elsewhere for very cheap

booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 am

I like the detailed reply from Intellijel. I think the design principles are sound and look forward to upgrading my metropolis with the X. Long ago decided that I would use Deluge for DAW-type duty when needed via a CV.ocd into Eurorack and use my Turing Machine and Metropolis in tandem for hands on happy accidents and generative stuff.

Preorder is in, can't wait to see some more vids and what Mylar can do with it too :)

j259
Common Wiggler

Post by j259 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Per stage scales is powerful, but would be nice to have custom scales, especially in that sort of scenario.

Ddorward
Common Wiggler

Post by Ddorward » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:44 pm

i will be selling my metropolis to get this........

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:07 pm

I'll be keeping my Metropolis and still getting this. Haha. Cause I totally need another old module in a box in the closet. Maybe selling is the right idea.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am

I'm selling my Usta to get two of these, having tactile control of rhythm and pitch at the same time and all those internal sequencers sold it. I love usta, but the CV inputs is rather restrictive based on all the cool stuff it can do, it could really benefit from an expander with some CV in lanes, clock and reset for every channel (I could go on). You're always having to switch between which exact output you're modifying. I'm willing to sacrifice channels in order to make the channels I have more hands on. Having read the manual, I think Intellijel have done a fantastic job with this, just the right balance between immediacy and complex.

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 am

booyip wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:33 am
Long ago decided that I would use Deluge for DAW-type duty when needed via a CV.ocd into Eurorack and use my Turing Machine and Metropolis in tandem for hands on happy accidents and generative stuff.
I have a powerful urge to sell my new Black Sequencer and get a Metropolix for this exact reason. Deluge with CV.ocd gives me enough direct control over a few tracks. I'd rather have 1 or 2 more generative melody tracks with Deluge filling in the gaps.

Circling the drain over here on a preorder. Anyone have any insight into what would be the best place to do that given that I've waited a week?

I replaced my Metropolis with the Black Sequencer, wanting more control. I would miss the 4 modulation tracks on the Black Sequencer, but I realize now that control is overrated when you're not a theory genius :despair:
Last edited by Back Down the Path on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 am

Back Down the Path wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:32 am
booyip wrote:
Long ago decided that I would use Deluge for DAW-type duty when needed via a CV.ocd into Eurorack and use my Turing Machine and Metropolis in tandem for hands on happy accidents and generative stuff.
I have a powerful urge to sell my new Black Sequencer and get a Metroplix for this exact reason. Deluge with CV.ocd gives me enough direct control over a few tracks. I'd rather have 1 or 2 more generative melody tracks with Deluge filling in the gaps.

Circling the drain over here on a preorder. Anyone have any insight into what would be the best place to do that given that I've waited a week?

I replaced my Metropolis with the Black Sequencer, wanting more control. I would miss the 4 modulation tracks on the Black Sequencer, but I realize now that control is overrated when you're not a theory genius :despair:
Detroit Modular is probably a safe bet. Their site still shows the availability as "pre-order" which means that they still have some of the units from their current order available. Once the ones on order are sold, they will switch to "out of stock". Certain other companies will just keep selling pre-orders no matter how long their list gets.

Last week, DM told me they are expecting the Metropolix to arrive this week.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:51 am

+1 on DM. Also caved and ordered over the weekend. I am finding more and more that I really enjoy setting up the “rules” that the modular must follow and letting it play rather than composing. Vector and Metropolis should make a great pair.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 am

MossGarden wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am
I'm selling my Usta to get two of these, having tactile control of rhythm and pitch at the same time and all those internal sequencers sold it. I love usta, but the CV inputs is rather restrictive based on all the cool stuff it can do, it could really benefit from an expander with some CV in lanes, clock and reset for every channel (I could go on). You're always having to switch between which exact output you're modifying. I'm willing to sacrifice channels in order to make the channels I have more hands on. Having read the manual, I think Intellijel have done a fantastic job with this, just the right balance between immediacy and complex.
Wow, awesome! Yes I agree, it seems that you can use Metropolix in a very immediate way if you choose and also a very deep, feature-rich way as well.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:48 am

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:45 am
MossGarden wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am
Wow, awesome! Yes I agree, it seems that you can use Metropolix in a very immediate way if you choose and also a very deep, feature-rich way as well.
yeah it's exciting. I've had my tetrapad/tete combo for close to 9mths-year now and that has a similar workflow, you can get what you need out of it very very quickly and it's great, when you want to want really detailed+specific behaviours they are there too with a little adjustment in the menus.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 am

booyip wrote:
I have a powerful urge to sell my new Black Sequencer and get a Metroplix for this exact reason. Deluge with CV.ocd gives me enough direct control over a few tracks. I'd rather have 1 or 2 more generative melody tracks with Deluge filling in the gaps.

Interesting comments about Erika Black, I was looking at it a couple months ago. I enjoy limitations, especially if they come with tactile controls. And I agree, Metropolix looks like a generative music haven. :)

Speaking of retailers, I just noticed that Sweetwater doesn't have this listed yet as a product...maybe they're just waiting to get their shipment...?

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:51 am

AMillionMonkeys wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:48 am
booyip wrote:

Detroit Modular is probably a safe bet. Their site still shows the availability as "pre-order" which means that they still have some of the units from their current order available. Once the ones on order are sold, they will switch to "out of stock". Certain other companies will just keep selling pre-orders no matter how long their list gets.

Last week, DM told me they are expecting the Metropolix to arrive this week.
That's really good to know about DM--I wish everyone did this!

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am

Control says they'll be in this week.

I jumped on it. I have a well priced Black Sequencer for sale :goo:

anwalter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anwalter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am

FYI, Patchwerks has them in stock now—grab one while you can.

https://patchwerks.com/products/intelli ... -sequencer

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:30 pm

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 am
Speaking of retailers, I just noticed that Sweetwater doesn't have this listed yet as a product...maybe they're just waiting to get their shipment...?
They aren’t too quick for listing Intellijel it seems. Quadrax had been available for months before they listed it.

booyip
Learning to Wiggle

Post by booyip » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 pm

You did well to move the Metropolis on before price drops. Nice problem to have, Black Seq looks great in its own way. Just because it's GAS doesn't mean it's wrong ;)

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:50 am
Interesting comments about Erika Black, I was looking at it a couple months ago. I enjoy limitations, especially if they come with tactile controls. And I agree, Metropolix looks like a generative music haven. :)
I imagine if I could play a midi keyboard for shit I'd be getting more out of it, but the note quantization being pre-sequence is a major bummer. It's super easy to use and powerful as hell, just not for me. I see modular more as a tuning and taming process than as the execution of a musical plan.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am

Has anyone received their Metropolix already?

anwalter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by anwalter » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 am

enno wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am
Picked mine up from Patchwerks yesterday afternoon. :tu: Having never used Metropolis myself, I was concerned about it being a little too menu-divey to get solid results right away, but was pleasantly surprised after only a few minutes of tinkering. The screen on the Metropolix is quite nice, and the screensaver is a fun little addition.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am

Ah nice. The screensaver is probably similar to the one on tete, I quite like that too.

Wondering when they'll show up in Europe...

AMillionMonkeys
Common Wiggler

Post by AMillionMonkeys » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 am

anwalter wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:34 am
enno wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:38 am
Picked mine up from Patchwerks yesterday afternoon. :tu: Having never used Metropolis myself, I was concerned about it being a little too menu-divey to get solid results right away, but was pleasantly surprised after only a few minutes of tinkering. The screen on the Metropolix is quite nice, and the screensaver is a fun little addition.
What kind of timeout does the screensaver have? Does anyone know if it can be extended or disabled? I don't see the word "screensaver" appearing in the manual when doing a search.

They added that option to the Zeroscope but it's documented in the manual which leads me to suspect it's not (yet?) configurable on the Metropolix.

AXN
Learning to Wiggle

Post by AXN » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:22 am

enno wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:39 am
Ah nice. The screensaver is probably similar to the one on tete, I quite like that too.

Wondering when they'll show up in Europe...
There are 3 in stock here, but a very high price:
https://www.modularsynthesizers.nl/a-63 ... escription

Thomann gets them in 2/3 weeks, ordering there.

Edit: also in stock at Juno.co.uk now :)

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:12 pm

Got my shipping noti from Control. Ready to really sit down and learn this one!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”