Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

enno
Common Wiggler

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by enno » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am

If you want that level of precision, it might be worthwhile to change the max number of pulses to say 16 or 32 and reset so that drums and melody are in sync...

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:20 am

enno wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am
If you want that level of precision, it might be worthwhile to change the max number of pulses to say 16 or 32 and reset so that drums and melody are in sync...
Oh making it reset on each kick really makes the difference! Can't believe i never tried it. Thanks! 8-)

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:11 pm

I just spent about half an hour jamming with a one step sequence. ONE STEP, Jeremy.

The Metropolix continues to exceed my expectations in every single way. This is really a high-water mark for modular synthesizers, if you ask me. It doesn't try to mash something from outside the format into a module (like, say, an Elektron box) it uses what's already great about modular and extrapolates on it in so many clever ways.

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Intelljel Metropolix 1.1 — The Accumulator Update

Post by rocknrolla » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am

slowwild wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:05 pm
Metropolix 1.1 — The Accumulator Update

Check out the video for the Highlights—

Here’s the details of this huge update—
  • New Accumulator Features and Updates!
    • Accum Mode: Stage (Original/Default) | Track.
    • Accum Reset: Manual (Default) | Auto (Original).
    • Accum Order: Wrap (Original/Default) | Pendulum | Random | Hold.
    • Accum Polarity: Unipolar (Default) | Bipolar (Original).
    • Default Accumulator Limits updated to ±7.
    • New Aux/Mod/Ctrl destinations for Accum Mode.
    • New Aux/Mod destinations for Accum Direction and Accum Polarity.
    • Upgraded the "Accumulator" Ctrl to a tri-state control called "Accum Dir" allowing you to change direction or freeze the Accumulator with a single knob.
    • Upgraded the "Accum Invert" Ctrl to a tri-state control called "Accum Polar" allowing you to change polarity and invert the Accumulator Order with a single knob.
    • Change Upper/Lower Limit labels to Positive/Negative Limit.
  • Better labeling for Toggle and Tri-state control assignments.
  • Updated menus with new visual features: Disabled items, Dividers.
  • 14 Chords added to the Scales list.
  • New Global setting for Clock Mode: Running (Original/Default) | Always.
  • New Global setting for Run Btn: Run/Pause (Original/Default) | Run/Stop.
  • When EDIT is active the selected stage item will blink, both in Track and Mod mode.
  • Press Reset when Metropolix is NOT running to drop the gates low on Tracks 1 and 2.
  • Pitch offset modulation is now still added when a track is muted; but it will still ignore updates to the pitch offset modulation when the track is muted.
  • Fixed Mod Lane resets on Queued Preset Loads.
  • Fixed crashing bug when RUN goes LOW before a queued preset loads. (Thanks Aaron!)
  • Fixed Pulse Count modulation. (Thanks Rich!)
  • Other minor bug fixes.
  • Updated manual available at https://intellijel.com/support.
Mac: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
Win: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
Cool update!

An idea: it would be nice to also have a third option where Accumulator would NOT reset when receiving a manual reset trigger with a Transpose Trigger being set to Stage. For example, I am now sending a reset once every 1-2 seconds (synced to a another drum), then Accu also resets and it never manages to get to next Accu stage, so not really possible making evolving track.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Re: Intelljel Metropolix 1.1 — The Accumulator Update

Post by slowwild » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:52 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:48 am
An idea: it would be nice to also have a third option where Accumulator would NOT reset when receiving a manual reset trigger with a Transpose Trigger being set to Stage. For example, I am now sending a reset once every 1-2 seconds (synced to a another drum), then Accu also resets and it never manages to get to next Accu stage, so not really possible making evolving track.
Good idea, I'll add an option to turn off Manual and Auto Reset, then it will rely on the Accum Reset Input to reset. You can do this externally then, or with a mod lane.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:49 pm

Awesome!

Having so much fun with this sequencer.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:02 pm

Just updated to new firmware... I’d like to use the new accumulator feature to sequence chord progressions (with chord notes being played in quick succession, either multiple pulses or ratchets per stage - meaning one stage is one “chord”.
But not sure how to get that to work.
Do I need to sequence the root note or just sequence different pitches? If root note, how is that possible? Mod lane that aligns with the stages?
And say I want to change chord type from stage to stage, that’s probs also possible via mod lane, no? Or is there an easier way?
Thanks!

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 am

enno wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:02 pm
Just updated to new firmware... I’d like to use the new accumulator feature to sequence chord progressions (with chord notes being played in quick succession, either multiple pulses or ratchets per stage - meaning one stage is one “chord”.
Do I need to sequence the root note or just sequence different pitches? If root note, how is that possible? Mod lane that aligns with the stages?
And say I want to change chord type from stage to stage, that’s probs also possible via mod lane, no? Or is there an easier way?
Thanks!
I think this should work if you create ratchets on SINGLE gate mode steps with one degree of Stage (not Track) accumulation, and set the limits to constrain the accumulation within the range that makes sense for the chord. Set the number of ratchets to the number of notes in the chord you want to play and use the pitch slider to determine the root note of the chord. For stages that you don't want to fire you could use the GATE stage edit menu to assign rests. I can see this working well with Rings in some of the poly modes so I'll have to give that a try sometime!

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am

scottmfr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:27 am
enno wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:02 pm
Thanks!
I think this should work if you create ratchets on SINGLE gate mode steps with one degree of Stage (not Track) accumulation, and set the limits to constrain the accumulation within the range that makes sense for the chord. Set the number of ratchets to the number of notes in the chord you want to play and use the pitch slider to determine the root note of the chord. For stages that you don't want to fire you could use the GATE stage edit menu to assign rests. I can see this working well with Rings in some of the poly modes so I'll have to give that a try sometime!
Yep - I was actually using this with rings poly mode yesterday.
My insufficient music theory knowledge is now becoming apparent: Does using the pitch slider to change the root of the chord work? Say I want C Maj 7 and F Major 7 - if I am using the "Maj 7" scale with root note C in Metropolix, and ratchet up from the note F, do I actually get an F Maj 7? Because the Metropolix would give me the 3 notes above F that re within the C Maj 7 chord, right? So isnt that something different to F Maj 7? But more like an inversion of C Maj 7?

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:23 pm

The pitch slider selects the note to be played within the scale, not the root note of the scale.

Thinking of it like an inversion in the above example is correct

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm

enno wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am
My insufficient music theory knowledge is now becoming apparent: Does using the pitch slider to change the root of the chord work? Say I want C Maj 7 and F Major 7 - if I am using the "Maj 7" scale with root note C in Metropolix, and ratchet up from the note F, do I actually get an F Maj 7? Because the Metropolix would give me the 3 notes above F that re within the C Maj 7 chord, right? So isnt that something different to F Maj 7? But more like an inversion of C Maj 7?
drxcm is correct, on Metropolix the chords are just a set of notes that the sliders are quantized too. Root is independent of the sliders, but you can use an Aux input or Mod lane to sequence root changes.

We have some new features in this area that y'all can play with soon :).
a boy at intellijel

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:29 pm

slowwild wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:03 pm
enno wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am
drxcm is correct, on Metropolix the chords are just a set of notes that the sliders are quantized too. Root is independent of the sliders, but you can use an Aux input or Mod lane to sequence root changes.

We have some new features in this area that y'all can play with soon :).
Ok, got it.
Mod lane in sync with the sequence to sequence root changes then. Probably means that I shouldn't use more than 1 pulse per stage, otherwise it'll get thrown off (any ideas for how to have longer rests between "chord ratchet stages" in this case?). Another mod lane to sequence the scale (i.e. chord type in this example) as well. Nice.

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:46 am

I just tried to update mine as per the instructions, but got an error when starting the update, said no DFU capable USB device detected or something. I tried with two different cables, i am 99% at least one of them should work with data. So i just booted back up and now the screen is completey scrambled upon start up. Sequencer seems to work but the screen looks pretty bonkers.... any ideas?

edit: seems to have resolved after powering it up into usb booth mode, then powering down and powering up normally.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am

rareo wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:46 am
I just tried to update mine as per the instructions, but got an error when starting the update, said no DFU capable USB device detected or something. I tried with two different cables, i am 99% at least one of them should work with data.
Usually the issue is with the cable, but contact support@intellijel.com if you need any further support, they'll help you out.
a boy at intellijel

rareo
Common Wiggler

Post by rareo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:24 am

slowwild wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:02 am
Usually the issue is with the cable, but contact support@intellijel.com if you need any further support, they'll help you out.
thanks, yeah it was the cable in the end, all sorted now :)

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 am

Here's my newest Mx jam. I made use of the output swap feature to create some 16-step sequences, I also made extensive use of presets. At the end I did a little jam using the keyboard functionality of Loopy. :mrgreen:

standingwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by standingwave » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:45 am

Hello all.
I'm just rounding off my first case with the Metropolix as the main brain, ordered the module last night.
I had actually ordered a renè and tempi last year, but they apparently won't be available until fall at the earliest due to supply chain issues, so I've decided to try the Metropolix. It looks great and I love anything else intellijel that I've already used. Also, for about the same HP and price, I got the Metropolix, GX expander, and a disting mk4 into my case. Great!

One question that I have after reading the manual and this forum: is it not possible to have unquantized CV out of the pitch lanes, or at least alternate tunings? This would definitely bring the Metropolix into new and unconventional territory. As far as I can see, all pitch output is locked to a chromatic or senitone resolution.

Perhaps this is possible with a firmware update?

Cheers.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 am

I would still love to see a per-stage limit for accumulator low and high values. This would be super useful when applying random modulation pulses to make sure that the accumulator works with an underlying counterpoint.

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am

The 2 PITCH outputs are aways quantized, but the A & B CV outs can be unquantized.

standingwave
Learning to Wiggle

Post by standingwave » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:03 pm

scottmfr wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:15 am
The 2 PITCH outputs are aways quantized, but the A & B CV outs can be unquantized.
That's what I thought. I can see why that would be necessary based on other functions (accumulator for example)
It would be pretty great to have other states of quantization at least though. 24, 6, or 18 steps per octave are some great platforms to create fresh scales and sequences from. That being said, also having an unquantized state would be most excellent.

This sequencer looks fantastic though, I can't wait to play with it. Hopefully later this week!

Cheers.

Stue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Stue » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:02 am

Unfortunately here in Germany Intellijel Metropolix is out of stock as many other modules (e.g. Mixup) and the small Palette cases, too. I have a Palette 4U 64 hp on order, but have to wait some time before Thomann is able to deliver (Musicstore and Schneidersladen same situation). The Metropolix seems to be an awesome further development, so I sold my Metropolis - which has been a little premature, as estimated delivery date (Thomann) increased again by a couple of weeks after ordering.

@Intellijel: Are you doing the next batches (Metropolix, Mixup, 1u modules)? Hopefully you are not short of semiconductors as many companies are. I guess logistics takes much longer ways, too (reduced air traffic)?

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Return to “Eurorack Modules”