Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by intellijel » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm

We are very happy to see a lot of people having fun with the Metropolix so far! We have some special "enhancements" to share soon.... ;)

Here are a couple of common mod lane go-to techniques I often use:

Technique 1:
- Start with a simple 8 stage sequence on trk1 (or both) and try the Major scale or Pentantonic
- Choose a Mod Lane and set the divider on it to /8 or /16 and length to 2 or 4.
- Set Mod Lane destination to Trk 1+2 and either Pitch Pre, Pitch Post or Root
- Now make a mod lane pattern like 0 2, 5 4 (if your length was 4)

This will result in a 2 bar or 4 bar sequence since it is modulating your Trk1 1/2 bar (8 stage) sequence.
Play around with the mod lane stage values to get the progression you like most

Technique 2:
- Start with simple 8 stage sequence on Trk 1. Length should be 8 stages
- Use EDIT->SKIP and skip the last 4 stages (5-8). Now your sequence will effectively be only 4 stages long.
- Choose a spare mod lane and set the divider to /8 and length 4 ( you can try different combos of course)
- Set Mod Lane destination to Trk 1 and Invert Skips
- On the mod lane program: off off off on
Now your sequence will play alternating patterns where it plays stages 1-4 while invert skips is off, and then switches to playing stages 5-8 when invert skips is on. You can adjust the timing skip patterns to get different variations on this.

You can combine Technique 1 and 2 on separate Mod lanes to get these happening in parallel.

moononfire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moononfire » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:37 pm

Yes, that would be great! I keep forgetting this just came out less than a month ago...

moononfire
Learning to Wiggle

Post by moononfire » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Awesome tips! Will def give them a go 8-)

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:26 pm

intellijel wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm
Post or Root
I’m not sure what these numbers correspond to. I have a 4 stage mod lane set up /8, which is modulating the pitch pre of my 8 step sequence, but I’m scratching my head on this one!

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:26 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:26 pm
intellijel wrote:
Post or Root
I’m not sure what these numbers correspond to. I have a 4 stage mod lane set up /8, which is modulating the pitch pre of my 8 step sequence, but I’m scratching my head on this one!
I think Intellijel is talking about the settings for each of the (four) stages in the mod lane: 0, then +2, then +5, then +4, sequentially. So if you were using pitch-post and a diatonic scale, +5 would be a perfect fifth above the root (a transposition of 7 semitones), for example.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:02 am

Yeah I thought about it, makes sense. Just need to change the range on the sliders from 3 octaves to 1 first!

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm

I really enjoyed assigning one control knob to Stages Length, and the other to Stages Offset on one track. It made for a really fun way to perform the sequence and create quick variations of it.

enno
Common Wiggler

Post by enno » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:36 pm

scottmfr wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:07 pm
I really enjoyed assigning one control knob to Stages Length, and the other to Stages Offset on one track. It made for a really fun way to perform the sequence and create quick variations of it.
Good call - need to try that. Feels obvious but there are so many things to try with Metropolix that pointers like this are really useful...!

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:15 pm

Here's a couple fun loopy tricks:

1. Loopy will loop skipped steps; If you put an accumulator on a step that is skipped, it will only engage when pressed in Loopy.
You can do a couple things with this, you can use a few skipped steps as fills and momentary arps, or skip ALL your steps, and keep Metropolix running, now you have an Arp Burst machine, only playing when you engage loopy! You have any number of loopy combinations here, holding 1 stage, or multiple at a time.

2. Loopy set to Current Trk; Toggling the active track by pressing the Trk 1 and Trk 2 buttons with loopy held down or latched, will swap the track that Loopy is engaged on, can lead to some fun effects when running 2 voices and toggling which track is being looped.

3. Loopy Pulses and Offset are fun to modulate and play nicely when you are manually engaging loopy.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

ryk
Common Wiggler

Post by ryk » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 am

intellijel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm

The use of an 8 position switch for the gate mode was a clever idea on the RYK module. The additional modes are just per stage Pulse Div values for Multi. The same can be achieved on Metropolix by routing a Mod Lane or using external modulation to change Pulse Div values.
Thanks Danjel !

Although the modes are not just Divide ratios, the "?' Mode is a separate Gate Mode that allows for Probabiliry Random Gate
or Programable Gate Patterns.

The Programable Gate Patterns are rather like Roland X0X style programming, where the
individual steps for a "?" stage can be programmed like a 606,909 etc.

When the Gate Pattern is clear, then this mode reverts to Probabiliry Random Gate.

Cheers
ryk
https://instagram.com/ryk_modular/

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:30 am

ryk wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:15 am
intellijel wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 pm

The use of an 8 position switch for the gate mode was a clever idea on the RYK module. The additional modes are just per stage Pulse Div values for Multi. The same can be achieved on Metropolix by routing a Mod Lane or using external modulation to change Pulse Div values.
Thanks Danjel !

Although the modes are not just Divide ratios, the "?' Mode is a separate Gate Mode that allows for Probabiliry Random Gate
or Programable Gate Patterns.

The Programable Gate Patterns are rather like Roland X0X style programming, where the
individual steps for a "?" stage can be programmed like a 606,909 etc.

When the Gate Pattern is clear, then this mode reverts to Probabiliry Random Gate.

Cheers
ryk
Cool I did not realize about that secondary capability for the "?" mode for programmable gate patterns. I should RTFM and kudos for another cool idea. However the other additional modes afaik are the per stage divide ratios as I described.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:09 pm

me, reading all the fun times people are having in this thread with no monies to grip one
download.jpg
download.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 800 times
excited to try this out! glad people are digging it!!

13isaacz1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 13isaacz1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:36 pm

Damn I ordered a metropolix from an online shop and they made a mistake and were actually out of stock so they cancelled the order, I immediately reordered from another shop and I'm still waiting for it to arrive (shipping tracking keeps telling me it'll arrive "today" since monday). I have a good feeling it's going to actually arrive tomorrow so I'm hyped. Could anyone explain to me how to update the firmware (what do I need to buy and then what's the process actually entail). Thanks in advance, I can't wait to jam on my metro!

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 pm

13isaacz1 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:36 pm
Could anyone explain to me how to update the firmware (what do I need to buy and then what's the process actually entail).
There is a micro usb port on the back of the module. You connect it to a Mac or PC and run the firmware installer that has detailed instructions in it.

13isaacz1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 13isaacz1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:12 pm

Amazing! Just checked out the software etc. and it looks straightforward enough. Thanks!

Rooter Tooter
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rooter Tooter » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:46 pm

Absolute winner module. Too much fun. Metropolix + Planar 2 + Tete + Tetrapad = heavy interfacing.
:sb:

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Back Down the Path » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:26 pm

Took a week or so but I am REALLY loving the way the tracks work together. Last night, I assigned one bass voice with with tons of acid slides to stages 1-2 and then modulated it with external CV so it would dip into stages 7-8 when turning the Z input trim pot CW to CCW. Then I assigned a higher pitched voice on track 2 to stages 3-6, and assigned the probability parameter to the first control knob. When turned to about 3:00, that voice then becomes a slowly evolving pad (low probability of a gate firing/pitch change). When turned back to fully CW, it becomes more of a plucky melody hitting most/all of the pulses on each stage, which is great to crank up if I want to increase the energy (in combo with bringing back in a kick, for example).

Combine this with some modulation of the pitch on each track, you can easily just jam out a complex song with defined parts in a very tweakable way loaded with happy accidents. That completely fits within how I use my modular and what is fun about it to me, which is finding sounds I like and then feeling out and improvising an arrangement (with varying degrees of success, but still always fun!).
Last edited by Back Down the Path on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 pm

As an owner of one of the first run of Metropolis (and frequent user still) I can't say enough about how great of an update the Metropolix is. New favorite euro sequencer!

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm

Kingnimrod wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:33 pm
As an owner of one of the first run of Metropolis (and frequent user still) I can't say enough about how great of an update the Metropolix is. New favorite euro sequencer!
Such a perfect update in that it modernized in all the right stuff and didn't mess with how great it was to use the original.

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:29 pm

intellijel wrote:
We are very happy to see a lot of people having fun with the Metropolix so far! We have some special "enhancements" to share soon.... ;)
Enhancements ?!

:hyper:

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:48 am

As for “enhancements” mod lanes out of GX in various fashions would be great.

As I have started getting back in to modular I looked at a LOT of sequencers before picking this. (Previously I had a pair of 960s plus switches and trigger buses, a .com 119, Encore UEG, and Moon trigger sequencer) For experimentation and exploration and the sequence taking you unplanned places the interface is exactly what I was looking for. Just fantastic.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:21 am

I understand there is really no point to bringing this up, but I am going to do so anyway... ;-)

The USB on the back for updates sucks.

Yes, a lot of folks play musical chairs with their modules. I am among those who do not.

The X Y Z attenuators and switches could not have been "bumped up" just a little to bring that to the front?

Love almost everything else, hate this.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 am

So, i always wanted a Metropolis but never took the plunge. Finally did with this new version.
I received it yesterday, and I am echoeing all the wigglers here: it is so much fun! There is zero menu diving btw, and I hate modules with menus or combos to remember. All is well layed out on the metropolix and easy to access. I also think the loopop video is too short and too dense to cover the features and so i found it a bit hard to watch.

I have seen a little issue, with pitch of the track out going a bit flat when all the white leds are lit when you select the lenght. I have firmware 1.0.5 so this may be already corrected in the latest firmware. I will try it later on.

In the mean time, here is something i came up with last night. Cant wait to play more with the metropolix (havent tried the mod lanes yet...)

---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:44 am

ludotex wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 am
I have seen a little issue, with pitch of the track out going a bit flat when all the white leds are lit when you select the lenght. I have firmware 1.0.5 so this may be already corrected in the latest firmware. I will try it later on.
We shipped with v1.0.0.5, this is resolved with 1.0.1.0. https://intellijel.com/support/ for download
ludotex wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 am
Nice jam! 8-)
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:40 pm

klstay wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:48 am
As for “enhancements” mod lanes out of GX in various fashions would be great.
Was thinking this too but suspect the GX and QX only support gate outs rather than CV.

The latter would require high res DACs and probably mode expensive like the CVX price.

I wondered whether the CVX might be compatible. Apparently it’s not. Would be great to have extra CV or trig outs in a configurable way!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”