Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Back Down the Path
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by Back Down the Path » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:42 pm

I need to get a video setup like ya'll. I'm sure there's another thread about what to buy to make videos with audio from my mixer, but this will have to do for now.

This shows off a lot of newer modules, but I think Metropolix is the star as far as I'm concerned. The accumulator and gate stretching and modulation all adds up to sequencing the hell out of interesting guitar sounds. Had to record this and throw some quick drums from the Squid Salmple on.

This is Metropolix -> Surface -> Beads -> Blades -> Mimeophon - > Vortices. Blades (which becomes more impressive to me over time) really supplies the tonal shaping to turn the lightly Beads'd Surface guitar into something convincing. The second half of this in particular is pretty nuts to me musically, as far as what is coming out of the Metropolix. Some completely accidental call and response stuff just about happening in there. Wild.

peachesandbacon
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peachesandbacon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:41 am

ludotex wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 am
So, i always wanted a Metropolis but never took the plunge. Finally did with this new version.
I received it yesterday, and I am echoeing all the wigglers here: it is so much fun! There is zero menu diving btw, and I hate modules with menus or combos to remember. All is well layed out on the metropolix and easy to access. I also think the loopop video is too short and too dense to cover the features and so i found it a bit hard to watch.

I have seen a little issue, with pitch of the track out going a bit flat when all the white leds are lit when you select the lenght. I have firmware 1.0.5 so this may be already corrected in the latest firmware. I will try it later on.

In the mean time, here is something i came up with last night. Cant wait to play more with the metropolix (havent tried the mod lanes yet...)

This is great. Lovely stuff.

I've just recieved mine too last week, and still havent explored all the functionality.

Could you explain a little about what's going on here with Metropolix?
I'm keen to have a play with whatever functionality you're using there.

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:12 pm

peachesandbacon wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:41 am
ludotex wrote:
So, i always wanted a Metropolis but never took the plunge. Finally did with this new version.
I received it yesterday, and I am echoeing all the wigglers here: it is so much fun! There is zero menu diving btw, and I hate modules with menus or combos to remember. All is well layed out on the metropolix and easy to access. I also think the loopop video is too short and too dense to cover the features and so i found it a bit hard to watch.

I have seen a little issue, with pitch of the track out going a bit flat when all the white leds are lit when you select the lenght. I have firmware 1.0.5 so this may be already corrected in the latest firmware. I will try it later on.

In the mean time, here is something i came up with last night. Cant wait to play more with the metropolix (havent tried the mod lanes yet...)

This is great. Lovely stuff.

I've just recieved mine too last week, and still havent explored all the functionality.

Could you explain a little about what's going on here with Metropolix?
I'm keen to have a play with whatever functionality you're using there.
Good thing there are some presets on Metropolix, so I could come back and check what I did :hihi:
There is the 2 tracks playing. Track 1 has 3 stages, and track 2 has 4 stages.
The whole sequence evolves like 4 chords: Pitch Pre (before the scale quantisation) modulation on both track every 2 bars or so (I did this with the Aux and René but now that I have read the doc further, you can do it internally with the Mod lanes). Scale is harmonic minor on this one.
What makes the quick melodies going up and down is the acumulator on stage 1 and 2 of Track 1 (I think one goes -1 degres, the other +2 degres).
And that's it. Using Loopy at the begining to play just a few different stages as an intro.
---
Latest patchings and experiments: https://www.youtube.com/user/plutotex/videos

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:18 pm

Feature request: A few mod destinations that would be cool if possible:
- Scale selection
- preset loading (would that fit on +-5v? maybe use the current bank and select only from preset 1 to 8?) :love:
---

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:12 pm

Words fail me. This is such a polished product. Often I deal with things that seem half done or like they weren't actually conceived by musicians. With the Metropolix there is such a perfect balance between hardware and software, every function is musical, nothing is wasted or goes unused.... All exquisitely documented. If you think this thing's hard just spend ONE hour with the docs learning the mod lanes. I was so happy with my second patch:

Last edited by Nutritional Zero on Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 pm

That was fantastic. My GX should be here in the next couple of days; really looking forward to it as well.

Daduk
Common Wiggler

Post by Daduk » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am

Hi all,

I am afraid this is a very basic question but I am really new to this sequeuncer so hope you forgive me on this one.

The manual states:
SHORTCUT: Hold down the DIV button and press one of the eight stage buttons to enter a
CLOCK DIV value directly.

But how do I save an adjusted shortcut for the DIV function?

With the Scale function pressing Scale and Holding one of the 8 Stage buttons saves the preset but how do I achieve this with the Div function?

Cheers!

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:27 am

ludotex wrote:

Very creative use of the Mx!

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:39 am

I'm relatively new to modular but thought I'd share a very basic use of Mx :)

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:31 pm

Most enjoyable. (Dixie is such a nice meat-n-potato VCO design)

Toward the end of the 2nd time watching I found myself thinking, "what if he ran a track 2 through Quadrax and then gently faded in and out a small amount of that to Polaris Q, just a little slowly in and out." That made the experience even better - the elegance of the patch makes it so you could take it in so many directions with small bits of "caressing" here and there. Or, just leave it spot on like it is now!

My GX is supposed to arrive Wednesday. I can hardly wait to fold in more from it on top of nifty patches like the one here. Bravo.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:47 pm

Daduk wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am
But how do I save an adjusted shortcut for the DIV function?
Currently, you can only save shortcuts for ORDER and SCALE Pages, the rest are fixed values.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:08 am

GX is taking forever to get to my local dealer....
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 am

I know I can probably just read the manual, but I'll just ask here: can I use GX extension to sequence drums (in a reasonably efficient way)?

So far Metropolix is my only sequencer and instead of buying dedicated drum sequencer it would be nice I could use GX.

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:05 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 am
I know I can probably just read the manual, but I'll just ask here: can I use GX extension to sequence drums (in a reasonably efficient way)?

So far Metropolix is my only sequencer and instead of buying dedicated drum sequencer it would be nice I could use GX.
I hope to be in a position to answer this question based on experience starting the day after tomorrow! However, in looking at current GX capabilities drum sequencing looks to be quite rudimentary compared to practically all dedicated modules I have looked into. Since I currently only approach that in a rudimentary way (one BD, one snare, simple patterns) for now I think it will work for me. The excellent (as always) Loopop video covers this among many other things.

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:03 pm

rocknrolla wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:09 am

Gx would make it easy to set up simple repeating drum sequences using the Transport mode clock division outputs. For example the /4 as your kick drum, /1 as your hihats. Or if you want a drum voice to trigger once on a particular step the Stage Num mode would do this. But if you want to dial in a particular rhythm sequence you will need another module. Something like Steppy would pair very nicely of course.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:26 pm

We're considering some UI options for Gate Programming on the Gx, but if it makes it in, it would be pretty rudimentary.

Pairing Metropolix with a Steppy would be much more full featured sequencing setup.
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Understood, thanks everyone.

Steppy is definitely on my list, but it's sold out everywhere and not in stock within month or so (at least where i live).

Raindeer
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Raindeer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:05 pm

rocknrolla wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:40 pm
Understood, thanks everyone.

Steppy is definitely on my list, but it's sold out everywhere and not in stock within month or so (at least where i live).
1U Steppy is definitely in my want list for exactly this reason and according to Thomann they will get some at the end of May. Honestly have spent a lot on gear in the last 6 months so these enforced cooling off periods are quite useful.

Actually I might campaign for stricter Eurorack controls... mandatory waiting periods, licenses and background checks etc.

Arcana
Common Wiggler

Post by Arcana » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:25 pm

I got my Metropolix today, but the screen doesn't turn on most of the time even though it appears that the rest of the module works. Occasionally, the screen turns on (but doesn't respond to the encoder) and once or twice, it worked fine. Going to reach out to support about this.

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:38 pm

slowwild wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:26 pm
We're considering some UI options for Gate Programming on the Gx, but if it makes it in, it would be pretty rudimentary.

Pairing Metropolix with a Steppy would be much more full featured sequencing setup.
Ya know... would love to see ya’lls’ take on trigger sequencing with programmed and generative options...

ludotex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ludotex » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am

Deadmau5 's Clockwork. All sequenced with Metropolix.
Arp is done with the accumulator (8 pulses per stage, 1 stage = 'chord').
1 mod lane for the bass octave.
1 mod lane for the whole 1 tone modulation every 8 bars (used the 1/64 clock subdivision for this. Lucky I didnt need more...)

---

transistorresistor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by transistorresistor » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm

wow that sounds so good man

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:47 am

Awesome programming and lovely sound.... :sb:

AXN
Common Wiggler

Post by AXN » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Still going through the manual, but wow... this is by far one of the best sequencers i have ever tried. Already getting great sequences, and have lots of pages reading left. :D

Orange
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Orange » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:22 pm

ludotex wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:43 am
Deadmau5 's Clockwork. All sequenced with Metropolix.....
Wowsers! :sb:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”