Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

daphnid
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by daphnid » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:19 pm

ludotex wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:52 am
I also think the loopop video is too short and too dense to cover the features and so i found it a bit hard to watch.

I found it hard to watch because of the Sesame Street melody he had playing throughout. I want to see the sequencer flexed and doing something interesting, all the other info I can get from the manual, and don't have to listen to some inane loops while reading it. It's so bad.

There's some really great demos in here though, thankfully!

slamcityjam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slamcityjam » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:41 am

I got the Metropolix a week ago as my first advanced sequencer. I've had a lot of fun, although I feel it's a bit hard to wrap my head around the various mod lanes. I would love some more patch examples with the mod lanes, for my own experiment but also to kind of understand it more deeply.

I also have a specific question, if someone with a bit more experience could help my brain out :). So yesterday I had a 8 step sequence going, locked to 16 pulses. I then wanted to change the pitch with a fixed amount of the first step of the sequence every 4th bar or so. I tried various mod lane destinations and divisions, but could not get a predictable result. Is this possible?

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:55 am

slamcityjam wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:41 am
I then wanted to change the pitch with a fixed amount of the first step of the sequence every 4th bar or so. I tried various mod lane destinations and divisions, but could not get a predictable result. Is this possible?
Yea. I do stuff like this a lot. Set a mod lane destination to Pitch Pre. This will transpose in the scale you are in. Other options that will give different results are Pitch Post and Root, but I find that most of the time Pitch Pre is the result I’m looking for. Now, set the division of the mod lane to /16, length to 4. Leave the first 3 steps at 0 and then dial in the transposition you want for the 4th step. The first 3 bars will play as normal and the 4th bar will transpose. Is that what you were looking for?

drxcm
Ultra Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm

I think what he wants is to transpose a single stage every several bars.

Not sure if this is possible either!

slamcityjam
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slamcityjam » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:23 pm

drxcm wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm
I think what he wants is to transpose a single stage every several bars.

Not sure if this is possible either!
Yeah this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. In this particular sequence the 1st stage was the root or the bass note, so changing it to a different note every so often really changes what happens harmonically. Kind of a classic effect, theoretically, having a static chord and playing different bass notes makes it feel less static, you know?

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 pm

Just confirm, it's not possible to use GX expander outputs in way like A or B outputs are used, i.e to send CV or modlane voltage data? I checked the manual and seems like it's not possible. If that's the case it would be a really nice future addition as sending modlanes into A/B outputs is super nice to modulate other non-Metropolix stuff, but we only have 2 of them right now.

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:14 pm

slamcityjam wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:23 pm
Yeah this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. In this particular sequence the 1st stage was the root or the bass note, so changing it to a different note every so often really changes what happens harmonically. Kind of a classic effect, theoretically, having a static chord and playing different bass notes makes it feel less static, you know?
Ah yes I misunderstood. I don't think what you want to do is achievable with a mod lane. I feel like you could probably get it done with a little patching. I'd start by routing the CV lane from your track to the A or B CV output. That way you can turn up the CV for the stage you want transposed. If you aren't using the other track, then you could also use its CV lane in the other output and configure it like the mod lane I mentioned before (/16 div and 4 step length). Then you could patch one into the input of a VCA and the other into the cv of that VCA and then take the output into one of the AUX inputs on Metropolix and assign that to Pitch Pre and I think that should do it!

ima_jrk
Common Wiggler

Post by ima_jrk » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:35 pm

rocknrolla wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:53 pm
Just confirm, it's not possible to use GX expander outputs in way like A or B outputs are used, i.e to send CV or modlane voltage data? I checked the manual and seems like it's not possible. If that's the case it would be a really nice future addition as sending modlanes into A/B outputs is super nice to modulate other non-Metropolix stuff, but we only have 2 of them right now.
Given the price of the module, I’m guessing there are no DACs onboard this would only be capable of gates and triggers.

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:56 pm

That’s correct, the Gx (and Qx, actually the same module) is gates only and stands for Gate eXpander
slow wild, electric ropes
a boy at intellijel

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:07 am

slowwild wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:56 pm
That’s correct, the Gx (and Qx, actually the same module) is gates only and stands for Gate eXpander
Of course makes sense. Didn't realize that CV outputs require different hardware than regular gate/trigger.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:58 am

I made use of live playing of presets with this one. I also experimented with different combinations of pulses, pattern lengths, and accumulator settings.

It was a challenge to "freeze" my first bassline track in order to work on track 2 without it changing track 1. According to Intellijel, the Metropolix really isn't designed to be used as a sequencer for two independent voices. So freezing track 1 in this case included all of the following:

- Manual pitch override of sliders
- Pulse count, gate type, and ratchets type override in Track 1 Menu
- Manual Pulse Div override
- Manual override of Length > Pulses

It also took a long time to figure out the perfect combination of these settings that would work, which was a little frustrating because it's easy to imagine a setting where switching over to track 2 and changing switches wouldn't do anything to track 1. (Easier said than done I'm sure.) The alternative seems to be going over to Track 2 and menu diving instead of using the switches, but I would much rather create a new sequence with the switches.

Because Mx isn't designed this way, I don't think this is going to change with a firmware update. So my solution was to buy a 4MS WAV Recorder. That way I can freeze a sequence/voice and free up a Mx track at the same time.

In summary, what Intellijel is telling me, if I understand it correctly, is that while Metropolix may be meant for two voices, the writing for those voices isn't meant to be done independently. I'm a pretty linear thinker, that's gonna take some time to wrap my head around!

krisamadhi
Common Wiggler

Post by krisamadhi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm

One thing I have notice is if you set probability to a control knob, with it turned all the way down it still plays the notes with slides on them. Maybe an update can fix ? thanks !
---
Kri Samadhi
Releases
http://www.krisamadhi.com

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:24 pm

krisamadhi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:13 pm
One thing I have notice is if you set probability to a control knob, with it turned all the way down it still plays the notes with slides on them. Maybe an update can fix ? thanks !
Can you elaborate? I can't reproduce this behaviour as described. (Note that Minimum Probably is 1%, so some notes might still fire)

EDIT: I have changed the UI for a later version to range from 0%-100% instead of the current 1%-100%.
a boy at intellijel

krisamadhi
Common Wiggler

Post by krisamadhi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm

[/quote]

Can you elaborate? I can't reproduce this behaviour as described. (Note that Minimum Probably is 1%, so some notes might still fire)

EDIT: I have changed the UI for a later version to range from 0%-100% instead of the current 1%-100%.
[/quote]

I just did :
Int preset
Make seq , ad a few slides (acid)
Ctrl 1 set to probability
turn on all steps to slides
adjust Probability to 1%
Then turn off all slides but 2
---
Kri Samadhi
Releases
http://www.krisamadhi.com

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm

krisamadhi wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:16 pm
I just did :
Int preset
Make seq , ad a few slides (acid)
Ctrl 1 set to probability
turn on all steps to slides
adjust Probability to 1%
Then turn off all slides but 2
great, will check it out tomorrow, is probably only an issue on the Acid slide, since it happens over 2 steps.

EDIT: Confirmed, the fix will be in a later update, not 1.1
a boy at intellijel

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Intelljel Metropolix 1.1 — The Accumulator Update

Post by slowwild » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:05 pm

Metropolix 1.1 — The Accumulator Update

Check out the video for the Highlights—

Here’s the details of this huge update—
  • New Accumulator Features and Updates!
    • Accum Mode: Stage (Original/Default) | Track.
    • Accum Reset: Manual (Default) | Auto (Original).
    • Accum Order: Wrap (Original/Default) | Pendulum | Random | Hold.
    • Accum Polarity: Unipolar (Default) | Bipolar (Original).
    • Default Accumulator Limits updated to ±7.
    • New Aux/Mod/Ctrl destinations for Accum Mode.
    • New Aux/Mod destinations for Accum Direction and Accum Polarity.
    • Upgraded the "Accumulator" Ctrl to a tri-state control called "Accum Dir" allowing you to change direction or freeze the Accumulator with a single knob.
    • Upgraded the "Accum Invert" Ctrl to a tri-state control called "Accum Polar" allowing you to change polarity and invert the Accumulator Order with a single knob.
    • Change Upper/Lower Limit labels to Positive/Negative Limit.
  • Better labeling for Toggle and Tri-state control assignments.
  • Updated menus with new visual features: Disabled items, Dividers.
  • 14 Chords added to the Scales list.
  • New Global setting for Clock Mode: Running (Original/Default) | Always.
  • New Global setting for Run Btn: Run/Pause (Original/Default) | Run/Stop.
  • When EDIT is active the selected stage item will blink, both in Track and Mod mode.
  • Press Reset when Metropolix is NOT running to drop the gates low on Tracks 1 and 2.
  • Pitch offset modulation is now still added when a track is muted; but it will still ignore updates to the pitch offset modulation when the track is muted.
  • Fixed Mod Lane resets on Queued Preset Loads.
  • Fixed crashing bug when RUN goes LOW before a queued preset loads. (Thanks Aaron!)
  • Fixed Pulse Count modulation. (Thanks Rich!)
  • Other minor bug fixes.
  • Updated manual available at https://intellijel.com/support.
Mac: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
Win: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
Last edited by slowwild on Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a boy at intellijel

klstay
Wiggling with Experience

Post by klstay » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm

The new accum features look great, but the global clock and run options make my day!

Transistor
Common Wiggler

Post by Transistor » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:55 pm

Ahh man, I was really trying hard to hold out on upgrading my Metropolis to a Metropolix in favor of a wavetable VCO which I just made space and funds available for! Argh, this is not making it easier on my plans. Looks awesome

slowwild
Common Wiggler

Post by slowwild » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:53 pm

1.1.0.1 is live, and will show your old presets again. They were not lost, just hidden from you, this update will bring them back into view!

Mac: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
Win: https://intellijel.com/downloads/firmwa ... -04-01.zip
a boy at intellijel

OHEXOH
Wiggling with Experience

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:46 pm

The update looks RAD!
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 am

So Metropolix is my first sequencer ever, i am not sure if this question even makes sense.

For example, if I would be making a melody in DAW, i could place melodies on the part of the song where kick DRUM does not play, but how would I do that using Metropolix in an reasonably easy way? One way I found out is send envelope of the kick into Aux of Metro to mute it (I couldn't find a way to lower the volume).

What would be other ways of making a Metropolix sequence 'in between' other drums, like a kick?

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:09 am
What would be other ways of making a Metropolix sequence 'in between' other drums, like a kick?
Are you talking about sidechain ducking? If so, that comes from a compressor or a VCA, not the sequencer.

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am

cinnatoastg wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 am
rocknrolla wrote:
Are you talking about sidechain ducking? If so, that comes from a compressor or a VCA, not the sequencer.
Yes I understand sidechain, so I am not asking about that. It's more about how would you sequence Metro melody in between other voices. Metropoplix is unique in a way that you have a number of stages with variable pulse length but I find it bit hard to integrate with other drums/voices if you want to place Metro in between them. Or what I am saying makes no sense?

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:37 am

rocknrolla wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am
cinnatoastg wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 am
rocknrolla wrote:
Yes I understand sidechain, so I am not asking about that. It's more about how would you sequence Metro melody in between other voices. Metropoplix is unique in a way that you have a number of stages with variable pulse length but I find it bit hard to integrate with other drums/voices if you want to place Metro in between them. Or what I am saying makes no sense?
I think I understand. There are a few ways you could do this, you could stop the clock to metropolix and restart it when you want the melody to start again. You could move the gate type switch to mute and select the number of stages you want it to “rest” for. You could use a vca to turn off the audio with the sequencer still running.

rocknrolla
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rocknrolla » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:12 am

cinnatoastg wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:37 am
I think I understand. There are a few ways you could do this, you could stop the clock to metropolix and restart it when you want the melody to start again. You could move the gate type switch to mute and select the number of stages you want it to “rest” for. You could use a vca to turn off the audio with the sequencer still running.
Thanks for the tips! I will check those out.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”