Intelljel Metropolix

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Intelljel Metropolix

Post by r_omega_ » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:53 pm

magicdust wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:45 pm
Yep. Torn between this or the m185. Any owners of metropolis think it’s too menu dicey or just right for immediacy?
I preordered it and watched loopop's video carefully, and I'm convinced that you can use it exactly like Metropolis if you want to, so the menu-savvy features just add to what Metropolis did.

Placid Mouse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Placid Mouse » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm

Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm
urgh...I've had mine out of the case for so long, I almost forgot about it. Terrible time to sell now
Though I'm the opposite, my metro has never left my case since I got it over 5 years ago now, I was thinking about selling my old metro also but I'm seriously considering keeping my old one and still getting the new one, think about the possibilities of having one modulate the other and loads of other crazy patching possibilities. Just because a new/ updated module comes out doesn't make the old one any less awesome.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:37 pm

r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm

They should try to win over more customers from the "black plate" crowd :lol: Personally, I'm all silver :mrgreen:
I hearts Intellijel, love the silver panel look, would never change over BUT I totally agree they ought make black panels available so them Black Panel crowd can too hearts Intellijel!!

:intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel:

and CONGRATS Intellijel on the new blastin' Metropolix. I would like to get my hands on one, one day. :love:

black_label
Common Wiggler

Post by black_label » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:46 pm

Metropolix really looks awesome and a worthy successor to Metropolis - so much so that there are about a half dozen Metropolii freshly listed on Reverb.

I’m sure I’ll pick one up eventually but I just got a Black Sequencer and I still really love the hands-on, menu free simplicity of the original Metropolis. I think they can coexist.

Zodotheus
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Zodotheus » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:16 am

This is awesome! I was just looking into a Metropolis too!

dbeats
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dbeats » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:43 am

WarpHead wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:00 pm
Interesting! Curious to see where the firmware goes.
THIS!

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:58 am

Does the the Metropolix allow stage addressing with CV?

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 am

andybizarre wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:58 am
Yes. Looks like those three x,y,z CV inputs have about 30 different assignable destinations.

Paranormal Patroler
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paranormal Patroler » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:53 am

Congratulations on what looks like a feature packed design! Brilliant as always!
All rights reserved; all wrongs reversed.

Dibek
Common Wiggler

Post by Dibek » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:51 am

Awesome, could some of this, for instance the accumulation, be brought to Tetrapad/Tete in a future update?

gummyboy
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gummyboy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 am

OVERRIDE INDICATORS : A dot appears over any value that’s currently overwritten by a loaded preset. In this case, the value displayed on the screen reflects the loaded preset value, which might differ from the front panel controls (until the front panel controls are modified, in which case the indicator dot disappears).

So when does this dot disappear? as soon as I move the slider? or when slider gets to the loaded preset position like Klavis twin waves?
I prefer the latter...^^

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 am

Raindeer wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 am
andybizarre wrote:
Yes. Looks like those three x,y,z CV inputs have about 30 different assignable destinations.
So I had a quick look at the manual, and while you can play individual stages manually via the buttons and the Loopy function, I don`t see a way of routing the AUX ins or MOD lanes to, say, "Address", "Position" or "Stage select". My Detroit Underground DuSeq does this, stages are selected via CV, clock is ignored for stage advancement and only used for triggering pulses of a selected stage. Maybe someone from Intellijel can chime in and clarify.

peachesandbacon
Common Wiggler

Post by peachesandbacon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:14 am

gummyboy wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:30 am
OVERRIDE INDICATORS : A dot appears over any value that’s currently overwritten by a loaded preset. In this case, the value displayed on the screen reflects the loaded preset value, which might differ from the front panel controls (until the front panel controls are modified, in which case the indicator dot disappears).

So when does this dot disappear? as soon as I move the slider? or when slider gets to the loaded preset position like Klavis twin waves?
I prefer the latter...^^
Looks like there's multiple ways to set it up. This is taken from the manual.
I believe you're talking about the "Thru" option in this case.

Pitch Load

Off
Loading a preset does not load the pitch slider values that are saved
with it. Instead, the pitch slider positions always represent the actual
pitch being played, and the loaded sequence uses the existing slider
positions to determine pitch. This is ideal for those who wish to take
full advantage of Metropolix’ hands-on, jam-oriented approach to
sequencing. This is the factory default setting.

Thru
Loading a preset also loads the pitch values that were saved with the
preset — overriding their current position as set on the front panel.
Additionally, this option will only override the stored pitch value when
the slider moves through a position that matches the stored pitch
value. This is ideal for those who want to load a saved pitch
sequence, and then modify it over time (but without experiencing any
sudden jumps in pitch).

Jump
As with ‘Thru,’ loading a preset also loads the pitch values that were
saved with the preset — overriding their current position as set on
the front panel. However, in this case, moving a pitch slider results in
the pitch instantly jumping to the new value. This is often ideal in the
studio, where you want to recall your last sequence state, but want
instantaneous control of pitch (without having to find the passthrough
pitch).

d_imil
Common Wiggler

Post by d_imil » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:40 am

Happiness Forever wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:37 pm
r_omega_ wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 pm

They should try to win over more customers from the "black plate" crowd :lol: Personally, I'm all silver :mrgreen:
I hearts Intellijel, love the silver panel look, would never change over BUT I totally agree they ought make black panels available so them Black Panel crowd can too hearts Intellijel!!

:intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel: :intellijel:

and CONGRATS Intellijel on the new blastin' Metropolix. I would like to get my hands on one, one day. :love:

To be fair I think it would take less resources for the black panel crowd to care less about A E S T H E T I C S and more about what modules do. There are always 3rd party panels available. I really don't get why it falls on a manufacturer to fit the buyers' design taste, the company should be able to dictate their interface design and for Intellijel that doesn't include black panels.

I think they already gave a little to the black panel crowd by making their cases available in black. But to be transparent I personally don't care about panel colors and buy whatever is cheapest/used/available at the time.

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 am

Wow! I'm in sooner or later!

One thought: The accumulator is great! Would be nice to not only have it accumulating, but also be able to set it into a random mode with adjustable range to let it jump inside the scale. And not only that, unless I overlooked some other way to do that: It would be great to have modulations being limited to single steps not the whole sequence. Example: You have a nice lead sequence and activate external modulation for step 3 and 7. Play a melody on the keyboard CV -> input X calibrated to 1v/oct and use that to only modulate step 3 and 7. Doesn't have to be Keyboard CV, also internal modulations would be very powerful that way.

Interface wise it might be possible to extend the accumulator with 2 new modes.
1. accumulation
2. random
3. modulation

edit: reviewing the features there might be other ways to get the same results :-)

To connect that with the tete would be mindblowing. Add a Scales v2 to the party and have it control all the scales in tete and metropolix and we might all even get a heart attack. But alone prototyping that project seems complicated to me to say the least. Having tetrapads 4 channels as internal modulation inside Metropolix sounds awesome but what happens when you change tetes setup into euclid for example. then you have suddenly a trigger modulating something. The question is if that is worth the developers work if you simply can patch it with a cable in 2 seconds. But it would give intellijel and edge in the long run to have such a sequencing-scale-controlling, and maybe preset network. Maybe even other brands would jump on that with their modules after some time.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 am

andybizarre wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 am
Raindeer wrote:
andybizarre wrote:
So I had a quick look at the manual, and while you can play individual stages manually via the buttons and the Loopy function, I don`t see a way of routing the AUX ins or MOD lanes to, say, "Address", "Position" or "Stage select". My Detroit Underground DuSeq does this, stages are selected via CV, clock is ignored for stage advancement and only used for triggering pulses of a selected stage. Maybe someone from Intellijel can chime in and clarify.

At about 8:25 in this video it looks like you can assign what each of the X/Y/Z CVs control. However, I too am not sure if CV can be assigned to control a specific step...?

drxcm
Veteran Wiggler

Post by drxcm » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am

r_omega_ wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 am
andybizarre wrote:
Raindeer wrote:
andybizarre wrote:

At about 8:25 in this video it looks like you can assign what each of the X/Y/Z CVs control. However, I too am not sure if CV can be assigned to control a specific step...?
I think the question is as to whether the sequencing can be addressed by CV rather than clock so called “CV addressed sequencing”

Eg a CV controls which stage is active rather than using a clock to trigger the next stage.

As far as I can tell this is not currently possible. Perhaps it will be in firmware.

A few sequencers do this, eg Verbos Multistage, Brainseed, Rene X and Y addressing etc.

The issue would be stage length / divisions / gate type etc. you’d prob still need a clock running to determine this, or bypass the time aspects altogether

ritec
Common Wiggler

Post by ritec » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:12 am

MossGarden wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:40 pm
Looks awesome! I already want two! Here’s hoping the i2c expansion will talk to tetrapad/tete ??
This would be great!

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:30 am

drxcm wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:08 am
r_omega_ wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 am
andybizarre wrote:
Raindeer wrote:
andybizarre wrote:

I think the question is as to whether the sequencing can be addressed by CV rather than clock so called “CV addressed sequencing”

Eg a CV controls which stage is active rather than using a clock to trigger the next stage.

As far as I can tell this is not currently possible. Perhaps it will be in firmware.

A few sequencers do this, eg Verbos Multistage, Brainseed, Rene X and Y addressing etc.

The issue would be stage length / divisions / gate type etc. you’d prob still need a clock running to determine this, or bypass the time aspects altogether
Ok, I think I understand. So CV would dictate which step is playing at any given moment?

MvK
Veteran Wiggler

Post by MvK » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:50 am

While adressing the step with CV i would still use the clock to activate that selected step. That way the retrigger thing would still work.

Multi Grooves
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Multi Grooves » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 pm

Placid Mouse wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:03 pm
Multi Grooves wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:32 pm
urgh...I've had mine out of the case for so long, I almost forgot about it. Terrible time to sell now
Though I'm the opposite, my metro has never left my case since I got it over 5 years ago now, I was thinking about selling my old metro also but I'm seriously considering keeping my old one and still getting the new one, think about the possibilities of having one modulate the other and loads of other crazy patching possibilities. Just because a new/ updated module comes out doesn't make the old one any less awesome.

Not so much because I necessarily want in on the new version, more so because I think the old price will go down on the second hand market.

🤔...Unless I can leak info about the death of the intellijel robot on da teh interwebz and watch the price rocket?
...but Cynthia, my Daddy never had a heath kit..

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:02 pm

@MVK Yes, you want "Stages Offset" as one of the XYZ destinations. The pulse count will dictate if the current stage just loops, or advances to next stages, etc. You can set up mini arps this way. Really clever way to make interesting sequences.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
FS/T: Goike 12u/104hp Bamboo/Aluminum Folding Case

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:22 am

TRK1 Pitch -> XAOC Hel Root, TRK2 Pitch -> Harmonaig -> Hel Voices 2-5 sounds like fun.

r_omega_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by r_omega_ » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 am

Too bad the Metropolix release is being completely eclipsed by the release of Beads.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MossGarden » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:34 pm

Am seriously daydreaming about using the gate expansion to clock voltage banks from Tetrapad/tete. I mean 16 banks of 8 voltages in kahoots with this thing is going to be amazing! especially with cross modulating. I just need a few modules to sell off and will totally be getting on this train!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”