Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Mutable Instruments Beads (Clouds 2)

Post by MossGarden » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:22 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:08 pm
MossGarden wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:26 pm
Some fun I had with Beads (and Blades) this evening, absolutely loving it!

This sounds fuking sick and almost exactly what I was planning to do...
Guitar + Blades + rainmaker + beads
Thanks man, it’s a fun place to be

rareo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rareo » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:25 pm

bobbylandry wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:11 pm
rareo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm
yhf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am
I wonder how long it takes till one shows up on - Ah, here we go:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 72-74-3396
"Selling because I received two"... looking like a bellend for 30€.

Doubling down on it as he doesn't feel the need for double Beads'.
I did actually end up with 2 Marbles in the first batch actually on accident. Felt kinda bad but didn't sell one purposefully cause I thought people might think I was a bellend. Haha. Not that I think that's what's going on here as I def wouldn't have sold it for more than I paid. Plus Beads my be the most hyped new release I've ever experienced.
Yeah for sure it can happen, preordering at multiple shops can result in that. However this guy could just return it.

bobbylandry
Common Wiggler

Post by bobbylandry » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 pm

rareo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:25 pm
bobbylandry wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:11 pm
rareo wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 pm
yhf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:17 am
I wonder how long it takes till one shows up on - Ah, here we go:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 72-74-3396
"Selling because I received two"... looking like a bellend for 30€.

Doubling down on it as he doesn't feel the need for double Beads'.
I did actually end up with 2 Marbles in the first batch actually on accident. Felt kinda bad but didn't sell one purposefully cause I thought people might think I was a bellend. Haha. Not that I think that's what's going on here as I def wouldn't have sold it for more than I paid. Plus Beads my be the most hyped new release I've ever experienced.
Yeah for sure it can happen, preordering at multiple shops can result in that. However this guy could just return it.
Yea I ordered a Marbles at Big City Music who posted them like 2 days later and entirely forget I ordered it somewhere else the first day.

On that subject, Big City Music used to post new stuff a little later than everyone else, I always figured when they actually got them in instead of when they shipped. So it's possible they'll have some available at some point? They also seem not to have gotten some recent releases like the updated Ripples so who knows?

Ebotronix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Ebotronix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 pm

it would be better if the internal Wavetable gets lower!
it would also be good if the Internal wavetable gets a FM in!
Last edited by Ebotronix on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm

Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:03 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:00 pm
Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Anyone with a beads also have an Erbeverb? How do they compare as far as outlandish reverb goes?

Erbeverb is my only reverb module, but I hardly ever use if for traditional reverb. Seems like beads might be able to match it or at least come close.
Stating the obvious here - but they're insanely different beast! How is that even comparable? I've had an Erbe Verb and I liked it a lot, but soundwise they do completely different things. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a douche. They can definitely do radically experimental things with audio, though. :)
Right i totally get that. They’re obviously each capable of of their own thing and not even marketed as similar things. From my experience, Erbe verb is great for turning a signal into a very chaotic yet lush sound, seems like beads can do that (as well as a lot of other things). I was more so asking about any overlap they may have and exactly what it is. I have to get rid of something to make room for a beads and erbeverb is a possible target.

Sorry I could have been more elaborate with that question but was feeling lazy.
Ah, yeah. I don't think they have much overlap. One will basically emulate the sound reflections of various physical spaces and imagined spaces, while the other will chop up and re-arrange your sounds at will. They will do completely different things, but if it's "lush and chaotic" sounds you're after, then both will do that, but in very different ways. :) Again, don't mean to sound like a douche. I guess I still don't really understand your question, haha, sorry.

zerodivide
Veteran Wiggler

Post by zerodivide » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:51 pm

DallasKnight wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:33 am
Anybody had their beads from the second batch at Signal sounds despatched yet?
I'm in Signal Sounds' batch 2. They told me its arriving Monday. Shipment out on Tues. Im in LA so will arrive here Thurs/Friday next week

Nonlocal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nonlocal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm
Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:03 pm
Daisuk wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:00 pm
Nonlocal wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Anyone with a beads also have an Erbeverb? How do they compare as far as outlandish reverb goes?

Erbeverb is my only reverb module, but I hardly ever use if for traditional reverb. Seems like beads might be able to match it or at least come close.
Stating the obvious here - but they're insanely different beast! How is that even comparable? I've had an Erbe Verb and I liked it a lot, but soundwise they do completely different things. Sorry, don't mean to sound like a douche. They can definitely do radically experimental things with audio, though. :)
Right i totally get that. They’re obviously each capable of of their own thing and not even marketed as similar things. From my experience, Erbe verb is great for turning a signal into a very chaotic yet lush sound, seems like beads can do that (as well as a lot of other things). I was more so asking about any overlap they may have and exactly what it is. I have to get rid of something to make room for a beads and erbeverb is a possible target.

Sorry I could have been more elaborate with that question but was feeling lazy.
Ah, yeah. I don't think they have much overlap. One will basically emulate the sound reflections of various physical spaces and imagined spaces, while the other will chop up and re-arrange your sounds at will. They will do completely different things, but if it's "lush and chaotic" sounds you're after, then both will do that, but in very different ways. :) Again, don't mean to sound like a douche. I guess I still don't really understand your question, haha, sorry.
Right on, that's pretty much what I was wondering. I definitely appreciate the input (not douchy). I imagined that a venn diagram of functionality between the two would be pretty empty. But based on some peoples demos, sound-wise I've definitely heard some similarities. Though maybe that's just because I haven't used beads yet and speaking out of my ass.

dani
Common Wiggler

Post by dani » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:10 pm

Bitcat wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 am
It's in stock at House of Sound (Switzerland) and Post Modular (UK) :)
Thanks for telling. I thought, ok, le'ts wait for half a year, but now mine is on the way. HoS still have in stock..

cinnatoastg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by cinnatoastg » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm

My contribution to the madness.

WTB - Piston Honda MK3, Bionic Lester MK3

Jimantronic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Jimantronic » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:33 pm

1n wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:28 pm
I'm already thinking of replacing Mimeophon and Morphagene, which for my purposes occupy similar textural and tonal spaces.
Good to hear. I'm looking to swap out Monsoon and Mimeophon for Beads and an FX Aid XL

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:45 pm

cinnatoastg wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:21 pm
My contribution to the madness.
Ace.

smartanimal
Learning to Wiggle

Post by smartanimal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:59 pm

mkdvb wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Right when I was about to change tack & go with Arbhar, Beads drops. Managed to snag one from New Groove in Italy.

The bulk of my mini eurorack is in place ... will probably go with a Quadratt because it functionally & cost-efficiently fills the 1u space. Not sure about the main section .... 12 hp left ... was thinking a Happy Nerding 3xMIA & a uPlaits clone but the HN stuff isn't in stock anywhere. Any suggestions? I have a Pittsburgh Microvolt that can interact w/ this rack & will pick up an Empress Euroburo standalone eventually. Also have the Moog Matriarch to draft in when I need more utilities but that's kind of a pain.

micro Ornament & Crime could be fun (either the 1u or 3u)

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:48 pm

The good news is that mid-late May gives us stragglers a chance to overcome our initial throbbing GAS. I shall be re-exploring my Clouds thoroughly.
*phnert*

Back Down the Path
Common Wiggler

Post by Back Down the Path » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm

I have a powerful urge to throw up my first patch, but that’s more because of how great this thing is than how great the patch is.

So I’ll throw up this small portion! Let’s just say the “patch tip” from the manual to send it a fast arpeggiated sequence REALLY shows off the power of that chip. I now have a harp in my rack. Obviously this thing is great and I know don’t need to say it to you all for you to know! But as one of the few wigglers that never had a Clouds or a Clouds clone, I’m smiling ear to ear. Surface into Beads is very new and original!

You can hear the dry signal at the very beginning and end. Not much else to say!

Last edited by Back Down the Path on Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Shakespeare
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Shakespeare » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:37 pm

Back Down the Path wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:52 pm
I have a powerful urge to throw up my first patch, but that’s more because of how great this thing is then how great the patch is.
Nice!

Mine arrived this afternoon, going to be a fun weekend (and week, and month, and...).

Pagoda-100
Common Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:57 pm

Ebotronix wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:41 pm
it would be better if the internal Wavetable gets lower!
it would also be good if the Internal wavetable gets a FM in!
Good stuff... :omg:

JeebsFat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeebsFat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 am

Jimantronic wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:33 pm
1n wrote:
I'm already thinking of replacing Mimeophon and Morphagene, which for my purposes occupy similar textural and tonal spaces.
Good to hear. I'm looking to swap out Monsoon and Mimeophon for Beads and an FX Aid XL
Man, I just bought a mimeophon... And was looking at a morphagene. Then beads dropped so I pre-ordered.

Is it crazy to keep both beads and mimeophon?
Is it crazy to still grab a morphagene?

Seems like there's a ton of overlap, but it also seems like having all these slightly different approaches in one box might create a super grainatizing death machine of glory...

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 am

JeebsFat wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:53 am
Jimantronic wrote:
1n wrote:
Man, I just bought a mimeophon... And was looking at a morphagene. Then beads dropped so I pre-ordered.

Seems like there's a ton of overlap, but it also seems like having all these slightly different approaches in one box might create a super grainatizing death machine of glory...
Yes, you're crazy. Off to the psychiatric ward! 😅 why not keep until you've decided?

Accelra
Common Wiggler

Post by Accelra » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 am

JeebsFat wrote:
Jimantronic wrote:
1n wrote:

I have Mimeophon and Morphagene and I just bought Beads. I mostly use this stuff as an FX processing rig so this allows me to run stuff in parallel and blend different stuff to taste or series for mad sounds!

autopoiesis
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 am

JeebsFat wrote:
Jimantronic wrote:
1n wrote:

It's not crazy. I will definitely keep my Morphagene when I eventually get Beads. I think they would complement each other extremely well.

Mimeophon also still makes sense, but if there ends up being an alt firmware for Beads that tweaks a couple of things to the delay mode (e.g., Shape as frequency shaping [filter] rather than amplitude shaping, crossfading between delay times while clocked to prevent pitch wobbles when changing time), I would be less certain about nonredundancy. Those are some things I'd love to try doing to Beads when it's open sourced.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:50 am

I really have to get over the ludicrously powerful big grin factor. This thing is just a musique concrète juggernaut, if you just feed it some audio. Having way too much fun with it to do anything constructive.

The fact that you can just send it line-level audio and it automatically adjusts is just a lovely touch too- almost like thought had been given to how people might want to use it ;)

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 am

JeebsFat wrote:

I have a Beads, Mimeophon, and Phonogene (as well as FX Aid and an E520). There's very little overlap in character, and probably not as much overlap in functionality as you might think.

The closest comparison I suppose would be Beads as a delay vs. Mimeophon. But still:

- Completely different sound character.
- Mimeophon has Color (kind of a tilt EQ with extra mojo, I believe) inside its feedback loop.
- Beads has its four quality settings with various character effects.
- Mimeophon has Skew, which changes the relative delay time in left/right channels.
- Beads has pitch shifting.
- Beads has an envelope that can apply to the delay taps.
- To my ears, Mimeophon modulates delay time a bit more smoothly for things like chorus/flanging (and Skew makes stereo chorusing with it really lush).

Right now I have a patch going where I captured audio in Beads, ran it through Phonogene and overdubbed multiple layers at different speeds, reversed the patch so Phonogene was live processed by Beads, captured that, reversed it back through Phonogene, etc.

exmd
Common Wiggler

Post by exmd » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am

starthief wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:58 am

I think this is something people don't talk about as much here as people do on, say, guitar pedal forums. I came from that world and to me the first and most important thing about a delay is the character. My Beads will be racked today, but I love the character of the delay from Mimeophon and would be surprised if the color and tone were a large overlap. We'll see!

JeebsFat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeebsFat » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:48 am

starthief wrote:
Right now I have a patch going where I captured audio in Beads, ran it through Phonogene and overdubbed multiple layers at different speeds, reversed the patch so Phonogene was live processed by Beads, captured that, reversed it back through Phonogene, etc.
:drunkhomer:

Sounds awesome, got a clip?!

mkdvb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mkdvb » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:58 am

exmd wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:45 am
starthief wrote:

I think this is something people don't talk about as much here as people do on, say, guitar pedal forums. I came from that world and to me the first and most important thing about a delay is the character. My Beads will be racked today, but I love the character of the delay from Mimeophon and would be surprised if the color and tone were a large overlap. We'll see!
When you say Mimeophon's character, do you mean like Moogerfooger or Space Echo level in terms of mojo or just better than your average euro delay?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”