Euro synth finished

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Ab_e
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Euro synth finished

Post by Ab_e » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Also interesting you chose to use "the vapors" here given its rich mysogynistic history: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapours_(disease)

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:47 pm

Well, all you're really doing there is giving an example of why the forum name SHOULD be changed. And no one's 'catching the vapors' (a phrase that is also loaded with sexist meaning but we'll set that aside for now) over the usage, just pointing out that it should be avoided.

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:51 pm

Ab_e wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:28 pm
Yup, thanks @crowleywaltz

@adaris -- perfect, exactly. Lets change it to something nice.
Yea, that's not gonna happen.. :hihi:

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:01 pm

You guys have found me out, I'm just a rampant sexist lol.

I was using "caught the vapors" in a tongue in cheek manner because I think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I was unaware of it's Victorian origins.

Gendered insults are never going to disappear, whether its "prick", "dick", or yes, "cunt". Getting upset over a user joking about changing their name to "cuntycousin" is performative political correctness IMO, especially given the international nature of this board.

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 pm

No one is calling anyone a sexist, just pointing out that these words and phrases are loaded. And attitudes like that are WHY we have problems growing beyond these things. Saying 'we'll never get past it so it doesn't matter' is just the snake eating its own damn tail.

Look, the thing is, you don't have to agree that things are offensive. No one is asking that. All that is being asked is that when people say 'hey, we find this offensive' you say 'oh, okay, I won't use that word/phrase then'. It literally costs you nothing to respect other people when they tell you that it's hurtful.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:13 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 pm
No one is calling anyone a sexist, just pointing out that these words and phrases are loaded. And attitudes like that are WHY we have problems growing beyond these things. Saying 'we'll never get past it so it doesn't matter' is just the snake eating its own damn tail.

Look, the thing is, you don't have to agree that things are offensive. No one is asking that. All that is being asked is that when people say 'hey, we find this offensive' you say 'oh, okay, I won't use that word/phrase then'. It literally costs you nothing to respect other people when they tell you that it's hurtful.
And what I am saying is that getting bent out of shape over things that don't matter hinders progress on things that do matter. Someone joking about calling themselves "cuntycousin" doesn't matter. At all. If that offends you then you are getting offended over the wrong things.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:13 pm
crowleywaltz wrote:

And what I am saying is that getting bent out of shape over things that don't matter hinders progress on things that do matter. Someone joking about calling themselves "cuntycousin" doesn't matter. At all. If that offends you then you are getting offended over the wrong things.
No, this POV is hot garbage. Dismissive, gaslighting—please take it somewhere else. Like crowleywaltz wrote, it costs nothing to respect others. Set a higher bar, otherwise it poisons the well for others.
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 pm

ATW wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:23 pm
adaris wrote:
crowleywaltz wrote:

No, this POV is hot garbage. Dismissive, gaslighting—please take it somewhere else. Like crowleywaltz wrote, it costs nothing to respect others. Set a higher bar, otherwise it poisons the well for others.
No, you're wrong. I haven't done anything to disrespect others, and I haven't "poisoned" any well. You can choose to get offended over anything you like, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to tip-toe around your personal sensibilities. Especially on the fucking internet.

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:49 pm
ATW wrote:
adaris wrote:
crowleywaltz wrote:

No, you're wrong. I haven't done anything to disrespect others, and I haven't "poisoned" any well. You can choose to get offended over anything you like, but that doesn't mean everyone else has to tip-toe around your personal sensibilities. Especially on the fucking internet.
So when someone says they think you're being disrespectful, your response is to basically go 'nuh-uh', plug your ears and tell them they're 'choosing' to be offended. Okay buddy.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:17 pm
adaris wrote:
ATW wrote:
adaris wrote:
crowleywaltz wrote:

So when someone says they think you're being disrespectful, your response is to basically go 'nuh-uh', plug your ears and tell them they're 'choosing' to be offended. Okay buddy.
Ok, so suppose someone on this board was born out of wedlock. I would assume that's got to be true of some users. For argument's sake, let's just say I'm one of them. Apparently none of you are offended by the username "unclebastard", but maybe that username triggers hurtful memories for me. Would it be reasonable of me to tell "unclebastard" to change his username? If I ask him to and he refuses, is he being disrespectful? Is he "poisoning the well"? Or should I maybe develop a thicker skin and realize that not everything is about me, and that some battles are worth fighting, and others are not?

Genox
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Genox » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Wow that thread took a turn!

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
crowleywaltz wrote:
adaris wrote:
ATW wrote:
adaris wrote:
crowleywaltz wrote:

Ok, so suppose someone on this board was born out of wedlock. I would assume that's got to be true of some users. For argument's sake, let's just say I'm one of them. Apparently none of you are offended by the username "unclebastard", but maybe that username triggers hurtful memories for me. Would it be reasonable of me to tell "unclebastard" to change his username? If I ask him to and he refuses, is he being disrespectful? Is he "poisoning the well"? Or should I maybe develop a thicker skin and realize that not everything is about me, and that some battles are worth fighting, and others are not?
Well, first of all, bastard is very rarely used to indicate someone born out of wedlock these days. Secondly, if it really offended someone, I'd have no problem with asking someone to change their username. Thirdly, you're suggesting that entire groups of people just 'get over' being treated like second class citizens, which is pretty gross, and suggesting that institutionalized sexism/racism/homophobia/etc are the problem of the individual rather than accepting that we as a society are doing something wrong. It's pretty obvious to me who needs to get over it.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Complain to the admins about the site name, then, too. That is also privilege if you want to look at it that way.

NARC NOISE
Common Wiggler

Post by NARC NOISE » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 pm

The entire 2nd page should be copied and pasted to the end of every thread. Every thread seems to end up like this now. The Euro subforum seems to be all, A: people bickering about word police issues, and B: everyoneone have the attention span of children and jerking off to the next new toy, probably not realizing they already have something that does the same thing.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm
adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:36 pm
crowleywaltz wrote:
adaris wrote:
ATW wrote:
adaris wrote:
crowleywaltz wrote:

Thirdly, you're suggesting that entire groups of people just 'get over' being treated like second class citizens, which is pretty gross, and suggesting that institutionalized sexism/racism/homophobia/etc are the problem of the individual rather than accepting that we as a society are doing something wrong. It's pretty obvious to me who needs to get over it.
That's not what I'm suggesting at all, and this is yet another example of your own performative political correctness. What I'm suggesting is that policing harmless uses of the word "cunt" on the internet has fuckall to do with combating institutionalized sexism.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Countdown until the thread is locked or pruned...three...two...one...

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:57 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm

That's not what I'm suggesting at all, and this is yet another example of your own performative political correctness. What I'm suggesting is that policing harmless uses of the word "cunt" on the internet has fuckall to do with combating institutionalized sexism.
People don't like the word and consider it sexist. The end. Not being aimed at a particular person in this instance doesn't make it less sexist.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:02 pm

Not trying to instigate, but what is your opinion on the word "moist"?

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:57 pm
adaris wrote:

People don't like the word and consider it sexist. The end. Not being aimed at a particular person in this instance doesn't make it less sexist.
People = you. How about "dick" and "prick", are they sexist? Of course they are. And yet women use them all the time. The end.

Do I think a woman is sexist if she says that Rush Limbaugh was a prick? No, I don't. I think she's right. But I also think it's possible to use the word "cunt" occasionally without being sexist. You don't have to agree, that's fine. But you aren't the final arbiter of what's offensive and what isn't, or what's reasonable and what isn't, no one person is.

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 pm

adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm
crowleywaltz wrote:
adaris wrote:

People = you. How about "dick" and "prick", are they sexist? Of course they are. And yet women use them all the time. The end.

Do I think a woman is sexist if she says that Rush Limbaugh was a prick? No, I don't. I think she's right. But I also think it's possible to use the word "cunt" occasionally without being sexist. You don't have to agree, that's fine. But you aren't the final arbiter of what's offensive and what isn't, or what's reasonable and what isn't, no one person is.
And yet I wasn't the one who called out the first instance of the word. And multiple other people in the thread have agreed. And I'm saying once again that I don't think you have to agree, but that I do expect the common courtesy of respecting others when they say it's sexist. I'm bowing out because we're going in circles now (considering I've already discussed the issue of agreement and stated that male terms are not loaded the way ones directed towards women are). Hope the OP gets some help with his synth.

adaris
Veteran Wiggler

Post by adaris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:20 pm

crowleywaltz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:17 pm
adaris wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:09 pm
crowleywaltz wrote:
adaris wrote:

And yet I wasn't the one who called out the first instance of the word. And multiple other people in the thread have agreed. And I'm saying once again that I don't think you have to agree, but that I do expect the common courtesy of respecting others when they say it's sexist. I'm bowing out because we're going in circles now (considering I've already discussed the issue of agreement and stated that male terms are not loaded the way ones directed towards women are). Hope the OP gets some help with his synth.
Well personally I don't think the word "cunt" is nearly as loaded as you and others want to pretend it is. So I will agree to disagree, and bow out of the discussion as well.

wonkychris
Common Wiggler

Post by wonkychris » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:27 pm

I am really sorry I joked using the c word

Henceforth I shall be known as knobbynutsack!

Didn't really see the rest of the thread so did anyone talk about finishing off their rack?

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:40 pm

OMG please stop

glennfin
Veteran Wiggler

Post by glennfin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:49 am

Hey, here's an idea.... how about getting back on topic?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”