Eurorack module help

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

btow12
Learning to Wiggle

Eurorack module help

Post by btow12 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 am

Hi. I am looking to create a eurorack case. I am trying to control the system with a midi keyboard. To manually select the notes. Which Modules would I need to purchase to achieve this goal? Thanks

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Eurorack module help

Post by Agawell » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:08 am

a midi to cv module - go to modulargrid and have a look at all the options and then ask a specific question about the module - ie is this any good?

I would also suggest sketching out a starter rack and getting people to check it either here or on modulargrid - copy paste the url of your public rack into the thread so that people can actually view it properly with infomatics and click through etc - not just paste a jpg

furthermore do a lot more research - ie reading (Sound on Sound has some good starting point - if old - articles that are free online) - you may also consider getting a copy of the book Patch and Tweak and watching videos - steer clear of the 'influencers' - look for things explaining the basic functionality of modular synthesis
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 am

You could buy an Arturia Keystep. It has CV and gate outputs. So you can plug it directly into your modular without a MIDI/CV convertor module.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:29 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:44 am
You could buy an Arturia Keystep. It has CV and gate outputs. So you can plug it directly into your modular without a MIDI/CV convertor module.
Seconded.
  • Keystep or Keystep 37 for a single voice or with a midi2cv module to sequence one voice while you play another
  • Keystep Pro if you want to sequence multiple sound sources simultaneously.
As far as keyboards go this is honestly the best answer almost regardless of what you’re planning to put in your rack.

Abyssinianloop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Abyssinianloop » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Maybe one of the newer Arturia products that these guys are talking about is the way to go, but likewise, I've been using a Beatstep Pro as a midi to cv converter to play a midi keyboard and capture my notes to the Beatstep Pro sequencer. Works great.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:45 pm

I have a bunch of MIDI>CV converters (4 Kenton Solo's and a Doepfer A-190) and the advantage with a separate converter is of course, you can use it with anything that makes MIDI. I use them with the computers, Tenori-on, old Mirage Keyboards, a pair of MMT-8's, and my Nord Modulars. I also have a CV>MIDI module (an old Doepfer A-192) and may get another (a ADDAC221) for those times I want to control the MIDI stuff (mainly the Nords) with controllers from the modular side.

If you don't already have a MIDI keyboard or sequencer, then this may not be the way to go. The Arturia stuff is a nice package combining things into one place. There are lots of controllers out there now that have both CV and MIDI.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Eurorack Modules”