4ms POD X

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

peh
Common Wiggler

4ms POD X

Post by peh » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:07 am

Finally looking at getting into Eurorack, but I want to start with something small and portable. The 4ms 40X and 48X appeal as potential cases, but I am wondering if given their depth - 51mm - I will be limiting myself too much in regards to modules that will fit? In particular I'm wondering if most 2 PCB DIY builds will fit?
BringYourOwnAutoplayRule

pugix
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 4ms POD X

Post by pugix » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:20 am

I think most 2 PCB DIY modules will fit in 51mm. One nice thing about the powered Pods is that the power distribution is along the back and there's nothing below the module mounting area, so you get the full depth available.
Richard
https://www.pugix.com

"Everything in our world is actually always modulated by everything else." - Peter B

peh
Common Wiggler

Post by peh » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 pm

Great, thanks Richard!
BringYourOwnAutoplayRule

Boogle788
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Boogle788 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:15 pm

One thing to be aware of is that there is no power button on these cases so you can't leave them plugged in and simply turn them on when you want to play. Not a huge deal but something I didn't realize when I bought a 48x.

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:54 pm

Boogle788 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:15 pm
One thing to be aware of is that there is no power button on these cases so you can't leave them plugged in and simply turn them on when you want to play. Not a huge deal but something I didn't realize when I bought a 48x.
Good point. I added these to my Pods to give them power switches.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

Matt_L
Common Wiggler

Post by Matt_L » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 pm

The X series fit pretty deep modules. I have a 64X and a Disting Ex fits inside of it. You can always check out the max depth of your chosen modules on modulargrid!

If it's a 2 PCB design, I'm assuming the PCBs are parallel to the face plate, in which case I'd guess they'd fit. But there are some designs where the PCB is perpendicular to the faceplate, and those builds can often get pretty deep and might not even fit in the X series.

dumbledog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dumbledog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 pm

Yeah I have a couple Xs and I can't think of anything I have that *doesn't* fit in one.

But, do yourself a favor and get a couple 10- and 16-pin ribbon cable splitters. The pods don't have enough power headers imo and I almost always run out of headers before I run out of space or power. Oh and the connector barrel cable too.

mediaburn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mediaburn » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 pm

New here, but picked up a couple of these used to get started: ended up with two 48X and then a 64X (while I'm trying to figure out which to sell.)

Both of the 48X cases are 48mm in depth, but the 64X is taller at 52mm.

I don't have many modules yet, but everything I have is really short - less than 30mm - EXCEPT the two Expert Sleepers modules.

The Expert Sleepers Disting Mk4 is 43mm and fits in all the cases easily (but would NOT fit in any of the original, non-X cases, which are only 36mm0).
The Expert Sleepers General CV is 52mm (!) and DOES NOT fit flushly in either of the 48X cases. It fits fine in the 64X case.

I don't know how many modules are this deep, but I guess if it's a concern, go with the 64X case?

(By the way, the popular Noise Engineering BIA module is incorrectly listed on modular grid - it's listed as 40mm and locked because that was approved by NE. That's completely wrong - I have a brand new one in front of me, and it's clearly less than 28mm. I send a correction to MG, and they said it was a mistake and they're going to fix it. Just in case anyone's worried about it being too big.)

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 pm

I have a Doepfer joystick and that thing is DEEP. I have it in a pod64x and it fits, just barely. None of my other modules are anywhere near this deep so you should be fine. I would recommend going for the largest, the pod64x—I'm sure you'll find a way to fill it up!

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:06 pm

I've ordered a pod 60 to build my first small system too. I'll most likely end up with modules that are too deep for the case but I'll figure something out to elevate the whole thing like inserting wood panels between the rails and the modules or something like that. Might look weird but should work :p

peh
Common Wiggler

Post by peh » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:51 am

studio460 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 pm
I have a Doepfer joystick and that thing is DEEP. I have it in a pod64x and it fits, just barely. None of my other modules are anywhere near this deep so you should be fine. I would recommend going for the largest, the pod64x—I'm sure you'll find a way to fill it up!

Bloody hell, that thing looks amazing! And thanks for the info.
BringYourOwnAutoplayRule

guitargyro
Common Wiggler

Post by guitargyro » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 pm

xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:54 pm
Boogle788 wrote:

Hmm. That’s a good idea!

Been wondering. I’ve got a bunch of modular stuff plugged into power strips which are in turn plugged into these:

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified,4-Pack

I’ve got so many things to turn off/on in my studio that it saves me a few minutes just doing them all at once. Works great as long as I remember to turn the monitors off FIRST!

But I’ve wondered if it could possibly be hard on any of my gadgets to just cut power so abruptly? Anyone have any horror stories? Or am I fine with my fancy thingies?

xcc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xcc » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:02 pm

guitargyro wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:41 pm
xcc wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:54 pm
Boogle788 wrote:

Hmm. That’s a good idea!

Been wondering. I’ve got a bunch of modular stuff plugged into power strips which are in turn plugged into these:

Limited-time deal: Kasa Smart Plug HS103P4, Smart Home Wi-Fi Outlet Works with Alexa, Echo, Google Home & IFTTT, No Hub Required, Remote Control, 15 Amp, UL Certified,4-Pack

I’ve got so many things to turn off/on in my studio that it saves me a few minutes just doing them all at once. Works great as long as I remember to turn the monitors off FIRST!

But I’ve wondered if it could possibly be hard on any of my gadgets to just cut power so abruptly? Anyone have any horror stories? Or am I fine with my fancy thingies?
Yeah those are handy too. I wouldn’t worry about the abrupt shutdown. It does the same thing as flipping off a built in switch. Unless you have a Mac or PC built into your Pod it’s not hurting anything.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”