Midi to CV polyphony

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

lowcontrastguy
Learning to Wiggle

Midi to CV polyphony

Post by lowcontrastguy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm

Hi all - any tips on a reliable midi to CV module for use in a polyphonic setup?

Have been using a HexInverter Mutant Brain but I'm getting lots of stuck notes, especially with faster playing. Seems like that module is better suited for drum trigs... using the web app for changing modes is a bit annoying for my setup as well.

I'm trying to play my SynthTech E370 as a 4-voice synth. Ideally don't want to spend more than $350..

Considering the Doepfer a190-5, MI Yarns, Polyend Poly..

Any tips on which might be most accurate for polyphonic playing would be much appreciated!

Cheers :tu:

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Midi to CV polyphony

Post by Raindeer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:23 pm

lowcontrastguy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:12 pm
Hi all - any tips on a reliable midi to CV module for use in a polyphonic setup?

Have been using a HexInverter Mutant Brain but I'm getting lots of stuck notes, especially with faster playing. Seems like that module is better suited for drum trigs... using the web app for changing modes is a bit annoying for my setup as well.

I'm trying to play my SynthTech E370 as a 4-voice synth. Ideally don't want to spend more than $350..

Considering the Doepfer a190-5, MI Yarns, Polyend Poly..

Any tips on which might be most accurate for polyphonic playing would be much appreciated!

Cheers :tu:
I’ve been using Befaco MIDI Thing and no complaints so far. I went for that that specifically to avoid needing a Webapp or similar. Usually I just switch between quad-monophonic and polyphonic by sending certain MIDI notes in ‘Learn’ mode.

Quad-monophonic is four CV and Gates linked to separate MIDI Channels, while Polyphonic is four CV and gates linked to the same channel. There is also a Duophonic mode and some options for note priority selection but basically (for my use case) it just works. Even if I’m not sequencing or playing with it I use its clock to sync to external gear.

On the others I’ve heard Yarns is pretty good but I’m generally avoiding screens! I am sure Polyend Poly works for most people but check the thread on it too because there are some specific challenges people have had.

nsolarz
Common Wiggler

Post by nsolarz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 pm

FH-2. hard to beat imo. endlessly configurable, does the round robin for voice allocation (or other methods). can choose between voltage ranges, gates etc etc.

lowcontrastguy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lowcontrastguy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:23 pm
I’ve been using Befaco MIDI Thing and no complaints so far. I went for that that specifically to avoid needing a Webapp or similar. Usually I just switch between quad-monophonic and polyphonic by sending certain MIDI notes in ‘Learn’ mode.

Quad-monophonic is four CV and Gates linked to separate MIDI Channels, while Polyphonic is four CV and gates linked to the same channel. There is also a Duophonic mode and some options for note priority selection but basically (for my use case) it just works. Even if I’m not sequencing or playing with it I use its clock to sync to external gear.

On the others I’ve heard Yarns is pretty good but I’m generally avoiding screens! I am sure Polyend Poly works for most people but check the thread on it too because there are some specific challenges people have had.
Ah cool - I'll reconsider the Befaco. Tbh I shied away from it bc of the panel colors (see my username lol) but that functionality sounds like what I'm aiming for. I'll dig into the manuals, but is there a polyphonic cycling or chord mode you lean towards?
nsolarz wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 pm
FH-2. hard to beat imo. endlessly configurable, does the round robin for voice allocation (or other methods). can choose between voltage ranges, gates etc etc.
Will check into this one more too -- Maybe naive, but do you need a Midi to USB cable for this? Do you connect straight from your interface? Or is there such a cable that can path to a Thru out in a midi chain?

--
Ty!

analogbrainsurgeon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by analogbrainsurgeon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:48 pm

FH-2. The base unit has a USB port, but you can add the midi breakout if you want 5 pin midi. I was in your shoes and went: fh-2,e370, qu-bit tone, quad vca, then use quadigy for note envelopes and quadrax for mod envelopes. With the gate and cv expanders you can get note pitch info, note envelope info, a second envelope trigger, and poly aftertouch, plus your pitch and mod wheel values. Kind of an expensive way to build a 4 voice poly, but then again you and I know how awesome it is. :)

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:43 am

lowcontrastguy wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm
is there a polyphonic cycling or chord mode you lean towards?
Usually use lowest note priority to hold a three note chord and play a melody over the top.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”