I'll take any input

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

I'll take any input

Post by Jturbide » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi, I just ordered a used 4ms pod60 (not the deeper x version so certain modules might not fit apparently).

I am quite new to this, I don't have any modules yet and I am seeking advice. I'm no expert but I have basic understanding of synthesis in general and of terms like cv, midi, vco, lfo, vca, etc... Here is my situation:

I mostly play psych rock stuff but I like ambient stuff too and I want to have a small euro system that can be useful here and there for drones, ambient background stuff, randomness, etc. My setup consist of guitar and bass gear, a nord electro 5, a minibrute and a 1010 blackbox which I mostly use for drum purposes as well as sampling my instruments and process them with the granular feature, the filter and do some slicing. I also have an NTS1 which can be useful primarly for fx but other stuff too.

If that helps narrowing it further, I am not looking to do techno/house/acid stuff and will never do live performances with a euro setup.

I seem to prefer soothing sounds, for example, if that makes any sense, I remember liking a lot of youtube videos with mutable instrument stuff, rbeny, lightbath, emily sprague are some of the channels I remember liking alot a few years ago when I started looking into eurorack... 4ms SWM also looked like it sounded really nice to me but yeah I'm not really up to date on new cool stuff.

I don't want to invest too much into this so I'll try to keep it down to 60hp. I've seen some cool stuff done on 4 modules so it is possible ! :sstorm: :hihi:

Any suggestions on modules (brand, type, etc) to look for or avoid ?

NeolithicElectrophones
Veteran Wiggler

Re: I'll take any input

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm

A good VCO, filter and modulation source will set you right imo. For nice soft/ambient type sounds I would go with an FMOGRE, a filter of your choice ( I think the ujove is really something for the functions/price/hp) and something like the smaller version of mutable instruments Marbles. I like Pachinko over Cara but both are good. Pachinko allows a little more wiggle room and has metal shaft pots.

FMOGRE doesn't come up much, but I think with the right patching it can achieve truly beautiful sounds. The 8hp euro version by Timo Rozendal is great and allows external processing, in case you ever wanted to amp your other instruments and get them Thru-Zero. The Lo-fi option is also nice for something different and an added LFO mode is cool if you want to modulate another oscillator in the future.

For some FM type drone patches I would add in a pico VCO1 to the setup so that you can have lots of waveforms in both LFO and VCO.

Since you're set on external FX, getting an affordable vca/mixer would be good for level control. The Hexagram from void modular is great and newer builds from them come with metal shaft pots. No bleed and very useful for FM patches as well.

If you can't find the ujove or FMOGRE directly for sale somewhere you can post a request in the builder thread as they have DIY options and I'm sure someone can help you out.

All of those should come in around $700 based on build and retail prices. Gives space to expand a bit and doesn't break the bank too bad.

Only brands I would avoid are Synthrotek (build quality, design) and manufacturers that don't have keyed headers on modules without reverse power protection.

Hope your build goes well!

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:37 am

Jturbide wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:30 pm
My setup consist of guitar and bass gear, a nord electro 5, a minibrute and a 1010 blackbox which I mostly use for drum purposes as well as sampling my instruments and process them with the granular feature, the filter and do some slicing. I also have an NTS1 which can be useful primarly for fx but other stuff too.
Are you hoping to play everything together and have it synced? (MIDI or CV sync both possible in this case) And will you use a Eurorack sequencer? I think your plans should depend a bit on this.

e.g. modular synced to blackbox drums from the clock out and two channel Eurorack sequencer playing the Minibrute and a modular voice... then jam over it on guitar or Nord.

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 am

@ NeolithicElectrophones : wow thanks for the info. I'll look them up! It is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. So the pachinko is some kind of random sequencer ? Maybe some type of envelope would be useful too ?

@ Raindeer: that would be cool indeed. If I could achieve it without using too much hp and money that would be something I'd like yes. Could you name me an example of 1 or two modules that could achieve that ?

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 am

Jturbide wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:45 am
@ Raindeer: that would be cool indeed. If I could achieve it without using too much hp and money that would be something I'd like yes. Could you name me an example of 1 or two modules that could achieve that ?
Pachinko (or Marbles) that @NeolithicElectrophones mentioned will do the trick actually. You can clock Marbles from the blackbox and in turn use Marbles’ three cv and gate channels to sequence both the minibrute and a Eurorack voice together. Another small generative(ish) sequencer alternative you could use is Qubit Bloom.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:25 am

ensemble osc into polymoog resonators. you can pick out your own filter, ADSR, VCA, LFO. polymoog resonators will take some time to find used but it is worth it. my personal favorite VCA is this. https://www.perfectcircuit.com/doepfer- ... -line.html

https://4mscompany.com/enosc.php

https://reverb.com/ca/item/2561745-fitz ... ilter-bank
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:45 am

I did most of my ambient music with Marbles, a Qu-Bit Chord v2, Batumi, Morphagene, and then usually two or three fx processors (Magneto, Mimeophon, sometimes Clouds).

Sure there were other modules, utilities, VCAs, filters, etc. But that was the core of my setup for almost two years.

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 am

Nice thanks for the help! So, let's suppose I can find an fmogre, would this following setup make sense and be functional ?
- FMOGRE
- Pachinko (smaller and less expensive than marbles and Bloom)
- a filter like ALM MCF for example (only 6hp so that's cool),
- another sound source like either mutable rings or 4ms ensemble oscillator
- a small function generator like ALM pip slope or ALA Tilt
- small lfos like ALA Baker or doepfer quad lfo
- and finally depending on module choices I'd have around 10-6hp to squeeze in some vca/mixer
- if I end up with like 2hp left I can squeeze in a mult other utilities or a tiny second filter

Is there something overkill/not necessary/repeating itself too much, something important missing ? Replacements that would be beneficial ?

example: mult could be replaced by 2hp arp, seq, rnd, mix or a filter for example...

Last edited by Jturbide on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am

Jturbide wrote:
Ian Curtis profile pic
Was fortunate enough to have seen Peter Hook do a Joy Division set at Riot Fest 2013, and a late aftershow at Double Door (Chicago) doing a set consisting of New Order's 1981-1982 EP, Movement, and Power Corruption and Lies.

redlester
Common Wiggler

Post by redlester » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 am

Peng33 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am
Was fortunate enough to have seen Peter Hook do a Joy Division set at Riot Fest 2013, and a late aftershow at Double Door (Chicago) doing a set consisting of New Order's 1981-1982 EP, Movement, and Power Corruption and Lies.
I saw Joy Division on their 1979 tour supporting the Buzzcocks, just after Unknown Pleasures came out. I was 20 at the time, am 61 now. It feels like yesterday.

Peng33
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Peng33 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 am

Heh. I was eight. Did not discover JD until about a decade later.

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm

In 79 I was minus 15 years old... :lol:

Well, I just ordered Momo Modular nRings and Pachinko :cloud: :sb: I figured nanorings would take less space than the ensemble generator.

Now I'll have to figure out the rest of the system :hmm:

Agawell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:51 pm

I was 9 and lived less than 20 miles from Macclesfield
Modular Audio and Video Synthesis on Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine!!!

an oscillator is an oscillator - utilities are possibilities

choose the case to fit the modules - not the modules to fit the case!!!

kinkycables
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkycables » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm

i'd swap the quad LFO for ochd. and drop the mcf for the little mazzatron filter - that'll save you 2hp and probably some $. is the mcf even available standalone? thought it was part of the whole system deal.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

kinkycables wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm
i'd swap the quad LFO for ochd. and drop the mcf for the little mazzatron filter - that'll save you 2hp and probably some $. is the mcf even available standalone? thought it was part of the whole system deal.
MCF and the mult the OP has selected are only available as part of the ALM Busy Circuits Coupe system, not separately iirc.

I’d ditch the FMOGRE and add some attenuation if the Ensemble stays, it really likes them! Also a stereo/dual filter would be cool with it. Or perhaps ditch both current oscs and start with an oscillator with multiple models like Plaits as it allows you to explore FM, ‘classic’ waveforms, wavetables, etc etc.
And perhaps consider Pamela’s New Workout for clocking, lfo’s etc etc.
Gaun Yersel!

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:30 pm

kinkycables wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:54 pm
About the MCF, that is possible. I just saw it on modulargrid and put it in there. Thanks for the suggestion on the lfo. I saw it on modulargrid and thought about it. Any reason why the ochd instead of doepfer (cause it is more expensive)

@ Voltcontrol : I was thinking of ditching the ensemble and getting an fmogre but yeah I'm open to otjer oscillators. The dual/stereo filter by endorphin or addac seems cool. I haven't really look up what Pam's new workout can do but it seems really popular I'll look it up

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:35 pm

Agreed on the mentioned filters. I’m really digging MI’s Blades, but perhaps it’s more HP than you like. My others filter faves are bigger still haha (Gemini 2412, R*S Dual Wasp).
It’s not critical to have a dual one for what you’re after by the way, just gives nice options (esp with the Ensemble).
Gaun Yersel!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Oh and Clouds (now Beads as V2) is a well loved granular module in your preferred genre. The guitar examples in DivKids (Beads) video might appeal!
Gaun Yersel!

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Damn Pam's New Workout could basically do lfo, envelopes and more on its own ? I wonder if I could get by with only this module for lfos or envelope. For example having no other envelope and letting it do that + some lfos (along with another lfo module). Or the other way around, having only this module for lfos and also making some envelopes with it but having a dedicated envelope module too. :hmm:
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm
Oh and Clouds (now Beads as V2) is a well loved granular module in your preferred genre. The guitar examples in DivKids (Beads) video might appeal!
Since I have the Blackbox I was thinking that I was set for granular stuff. Idk if adding a module like cloud or Beads would be overkill or actually useful even with my blackbox :despair:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 pm
Damn Pam's New Workout could basically do lfo, envelopes and more on its own ? I wonder if I could get by with only this module for lfos or envelope. For example having no other envelope and letting it do that + some lfos (along with another lfo module). Or the other way around, having only this module for lfos and also making some envelopes with it but having a dedicated envelope module too. :hmm:
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm
Since I have the Blackbox I was thinking that I was set for granular stuff. Idk if adding a module like cloud or Beads would be overkill or actually useful even with my blackbox :despair:
Just a different take! If the black box gives you what you need in the granular dept it’s all good. :tu:
Gaun Yersel!

rayultine
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayultine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 pm

"I'll take any input"

that's what your modules said

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:37 pm

If you want anyone to talk this through "live" via a socially-distanced outdoor coffee, je suis en ville. Ça se peut qu'on est pas trop loin l'un de l'autre.

Nutritional Zero
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nutritional Zero » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:42 pm

Peng33 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am
Jturbide wrote:
Ian Curtis profile pic
I saw this tour. Or at least I'm told I was there because I have a ton of photos in my phone I don't remember taking.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 pm
Bear in mind everything in Pam's is synced, you may not want that. Almost complete opposite of Ochd which has 8 unsynced (but related) VCOs.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

Jturbide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:15 pm

Nutritional Zero wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:37 pm
If you want anyone to talk this through "live" via a socially-distanced outdoor coffee, je suis en ville. Ça se peut qu'on est pas trop loin l'un de l'autre.
Wow thanks pour l'offre mais j'ai déménagé sur la rive-nord (mon profil est pas à jour) donc ca fait un peu loin. :p
flashheart wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:49 pm
Bear in mind everything in Pam's is synced, you may not want that. Almost complete opposite of Ochd which has 8 unsynced (but related) VCOs.
Good point I didn't think about that...

I'll have to figure how to get enough lfo, envelopes and other functions like what you can do with the pam's in the smallest space possible so I have enough space for other stuff like filters, mixer/attenuators/vca, etc... I am not quite sure how many lfo, vca, envelopes, attenuator/mixer I need with this kind of small setup (Rings, an oscillator like fmorge for example, Marbles, probably a dual filter (or 2 separate ones), maybe pam's?...) :hmm:

I think I made a good choice going with nRings instead of the ensemble generator, I'll save alot of space.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”