I'll take any input

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Re: I'll take any input

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:36 pm

I agree with taking out the FMogre. In a rack this small, the ensemble oscillator is all you need. That quad VCA is linear only. Big mistake in my opinion. That quad LFO does not do sine wave. Another big mistake. You should look at the OCHD or the batumi for LFO. You might be ok with a single dual VCA like the one I posted. In a rack this small you might not even need a mixer but it might be a good idea to have a disting so you can use it as a pan and crossfade module if and when you need it. That marbles clone is perfect for your purposes. You don't need the pipslope if you use the triangle wave with skew on the batumi. Does batumi have skew control on the expert firmware? Anyone? No manual trigger on the pipslope anyway so it will be an LFO in this rack. If you use the disting for that then you have a disting in the rack.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Good point on the lfo and VCA.
Last edited by Jturbide on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1487046
modulargrid_1487046.jpg
I packed the rack with %100 quality dense modules. you have a 4HP doepfer VCO that has a switch to go into LFO mode. it has sine output. it has FM. The batumi does not do so good at audio rates so you might want an analog LFO with a sine output. The batumi has attenuators built in you just have to read the manual about what button to press. all 4 LFO's have different waveshapes, sync input, FM input. you can adjust speed, phase etc..The ADSR has a built in VCA. The SSF mini slew is like a pipslope but way way better. it can do AD envelope but it also has curve control. it can loop or one shot. it can do slew, it can do a lot of stuff. I have a mini slew in my rack. I love it. the WMD filter also has a saturation control.

the only thing I am not sure about is if you want to remove the 4HP doepfer VCO/LFO to have a disting, a dual VCA, a 4 input mixer, mults, attenuators.

http://www.doepfer.de/a138n.htm

there is a trick with mults and attenuators. you can get mults outside.
https://www.planktonelectronics.com/store/ninja-stars/

attenuator cables
https://koma-elektronik.com/?product=ko ... ator-cable

you can put mults, attenuators, passive LPG, diode OR modules into a case with no power
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:11 pm

Wow thanks for your time!

Only problem is I ordered a nRings so it would have to be in there. Have you seen my last post ? Would that be a good setup too (hopefully it is the updated version and not the exact same one I posted earlier, seems to work on my computer but not my phone ...) ? I'll look up the SSF mini slew.

For the external mult it is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Never saw those attenuator cables before tho ! Great idea ! And the unpowered case with the utility modules is anotjer great idea thanks !

Here it is again, it has 4hp of space left for more vca, clock divider, disting, another filter or whatever

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 am

Lookin good!
I’d add a small analogue VCO with multiple waveform outputs. Not sure if those Endorphin.es ones are available already.
Gaun Yersel!

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am

Thanks !

So 2 Vca, a dual filter and one envelope (+pam's) should be enough for this setup ? Things are likely to change a little (for example I might decide on a cheaper alternative to Pam's or go with similar modules from other brands) but knowing that I can go with only a dual vca and a dual filter for example would help me be more confident to actually start buying them and not be thinking "man I think I should have gone with more vcas or envelopes".

That gives me rings and the endorphin as primary sound sources, another vco would be a good addition ? Would that lead to me needing more vca, filters or envelope to pair them with that 3rd one ? I could put a 2hp or pico vco and add another module or simple go with a 4hp module that does more than one thing.

Edit: ordered Ochd. Seems like a great module which will almost get me set for lfo (an additional sine one or two would be nice). That could be achieve by Pam if I get it or another multi purpose module

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:26 am

You'll want to FM that Endorphines VCO with something right? ;)
Perhaps leave the question open for now and experience what you'd like to add in use. System looks perfect to start out with.
I'm afraid that the question of ordering a larger case will pop up sooner than you'd like. :tu:
Gaun Yersel!

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm

Thanks alot Voltcontrol, I can't wait to receive everything I ordered and start figuring things out.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if Pam's is a necessity since I have Marbles for sequencing/clock purposes and having 8 lfos already I might not need too many more. Apparently the envelopes of Pam's are quite snappy, they aren't long. This setup also only gives me 2 vca.

Veils has been recommended to me for vca purposes. I did another sketch without Pam's and with Veils. I added Zadar as it seems really flexible, doing vco, envelopes, lfo... Maybe I'm missing something here and Pam's sketch would be better but I honestly quite like this one:

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:00 pm
Thanks alot Voltcontrol, I can't wait to receive everything I ordered and start figuring things out.

In the meantime, I'm wondering if Pam's is a necessity since I have Marbles for sequencing/clock purposes and having 8 lfos already I might not need too many more. Apparently the envelopes of Pam's are quite snappy, they aren't long. This setup also only gives me 2 vca.

Veils has been recommended to me for vca purposes. I did another sketch without Pam's and with Veils. I added Zadar as it seems really flexible, doing vco, envelopes, lfo... Maybe I'm missing something here and Pam's sketch would be better but I honestly quite like this one:

Looks like a fun rig. There's an alt firmware for Marbles (will run on Pachinko) that gives you up to 128 steps instead of the max 16 on the standard firmware. You can grab it here - there's also a chart a few posts above that shows you the spread knob layout to get each division. 128 might be a bit too many, but I find 32 and 64 very useful.

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t ... y/16248/11

One thing to note is that the Ts-L expects bipolar +-5v on it's VC (mod) inputs, and the Zadar outputs unipolar 0 up to 10v (scalable). Pam's is the same. If you end up with a partner case to this one, grab a Frap Tools 321. It can invert and offset, so you can turn a 5v unipolar output into a +-5v bipolar signal. The Ochd outputs bipolar, so that's fine. You'll still be able to use the Zadar for mod inputs on the Ts-L, you'll just need to be creative with the attenuator positions to get what you want. Don't let that put you off the Ts-l though, it's a great choice.

Also worth noting that the Zadar doesn't have a clock input, so if you're going to want to do any clock based modulation, Pam's might be a better option, but you can dial the envelope/loop time on the zadar down to the millisecond, so you can normally get it in time manually if needed. Pam's does have more options, such as wave shape, including random, and quantized random, skip, slop, euclidean rhythms, phase offset, wave width, and more. While it's time based, you don't have to clock it to the Marbles, so you could let it run on it's own time at a different tempo, and the multiply/division options are wide enough that you can have each channel unsynced from each other. Watch DivKid's video on Pam's if you haven't already.

You could swap out the Veils for a Doepfer 142-2, which gives you VCAs and envelopes in one. Though not sure if 2 VCAs would give you enough if you want to use multiple wave shapes outs from the Ts-L at the same time with different envelopes?

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 am

auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 pm
Wow thanks for all the info! That other firmware sounds great I'll definitely check it out.

For the Ts-l it does seems great but also expensive and probably a bit rare on the used market. I might go with a cheaper option but I'll keep it on my radar.

Ok so Pam's is clockable and can do more than the zadar, but for pure envelopes zadar might be better ? Man its so hard to choose. I might even get something else than can do clockablre envelopes ? Or similarly to my previous sketch, get Pam's, but maybe try to find a smaller vco and try to squeeze a dedicated envelope. Or maybe even swap veils for the doepfer 142-2 and squeeze in another small single or dual vca.

Back to the drawing board :cry:

Spacelordmother
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Spacelordmother » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:47 am

Jturbide wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:39 pm
Oh and Clouds (now Beads as V2) is a well loved granular module in your preferred genre. The guitar examples in DivKids (Beads) video might appeal!
Since I have the Blackbox I was thinking that I was set for granular stuff. Idk if adding a module like cloud or Beads would be overkill or actually useful even with my blackbox :despair:
Hello fuzz friend. :omg:

I don't have a blackbox, but do have a Bitbox Micro. The granular in there is nothing compared to what you can do with Beads/Clouds. (I would be happy to be proven wrong if others are doing cool stuff with it, but to me it's really limited)

Also -- I hate to be that guy, but consider a a case with a 1u row -- Intellijel palette 64 or DIY. Only marginally bigger, but it lets you put some utilities in 1u to free up room for more/bigger 3u modules. I only say so because I was recently in the same boat. Had a 84hp skiff and needed some room, but didn't want to go much bigger. DIY'd myself a 4u 84hp and it relieved the pressure.

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:29 am

Spacelordmother wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:47 am
:omg: being the absolute goofball that I am I just ordered a powered pod 32 I saw on reverb near me for relatively cheap...

:moneyburn: :party:

now I should have enough space to put some cool shit in there. Gonna try to build this slowly (probably will not, knowing myself), but at least I can worry just a tiny bit less about rack space.
Also not a podX so I'll pimp this one too with a ton of washers or some wood panels to lift modules up if some are too deep.

auditorycanvas
Common Wiggler

Post by auditorycanvas » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:01 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 am
auditorycanvas wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:36 pm
Wow thanks for all the info! That other firmware sounds great I'll definitely check it out.

For the Ts-l it does seems great but also expensive and probably a bit rare on the used market. I might go with a cheaper option but I'll keep it on my radar.

Ok so Pam's is clockable and can do more than the zadar, but for pure envelopes zadar might be better ? Man its so hard to choose. I might even get something else than can do clockablre envelopes ? Or similarly to my previous sketch, get Pam's, but maybe try to find a smaller vco and try to squeeze a dedicated envelope. Or maybe even swap veils for the doepfer 142-2 and squeeze in another small single or dual vca.

Back to the drawing board :cry:
For what it’s worth, I have the Cs-L and don’t regret the purchase, so it’s worth the cost, but that said, as someone else suggested earlier, it might be worth getting something like Plaits first which gives you a lot of different synthesis models to try out while you get your feet wet and find what you like. Plus those are available a lot cheaper and plentiful on the used market. You can also find a clone version for $100 (Blue lantern).

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:11 pm

Yeah a microplaits could be really nice. It also has it own lpg so it does not need a separate filter and vca. I'm gonna seriously consider this one, maybe with a erica pico vco or another really small vco. That way I should not need too many vca and filters. I would then have Rings, Plaits and another vco as principal sound sources. I could then focus en something like the doepfer 142-2 (vca+envelope) or a quad vca/mixer and a dual envelope module , a filter, etc...

I'm having more problems trying to figure out the mixer, vca, envelope, clock. I for examplecdon't know if I want a PNW yet. I'm also trying to find a good mixer/panning module but I might actually don't really need much if I already have an outboard mixer ? :despair:

Back to modulargrid :hmm:

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by natureclubcassettes » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:52 pm

I would caution against having all those modules with mini-knobs so close to each other, unless you already know you are comfortable with this sort of set up.

Just my 2 cents....

Also, not a ton of CV on the Verb, if that matters to you. I know a lot of people here like this module, but I feel like it may leave you wanting more.

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 pm

Good points. Idk if I would need CV on reverb tho... I can't even imagine why I would but I am probably missing something...

Man I can't decide if I want Pam or not. I am new to this so I'm still figuring out what I need to achieve things. I wonder if clockable lfo would actually be something I use. I tend to think that I would not since I'm looking to achieve more ambient type music than acid/house stuff but I might be completely off on this one. I still might want it just because it seems to do so much in so few hp.

I also don't plan on having percussion modules so I should probably look for good adsr (?). I was mainly looking at AD/AR envelopes but from what I understand I might not really much of those. NE Pons Asinorum looked nice.

Then there are modules like disting, temps utile, O_C that all look really interesting but not quite sure what they do or don't.

I'm debating all of this because I have limited space and I am looking at modules on reverb and I'd prefer to buy used stuff to save a bit but I don't want to buy something just to regret it a few months later...

Uhhggg.... I don't know what I'm doing !! :bang: :lol:

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:40 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 pm
Good points. Idk if I would need CV on reverb tho... I can't even imagine why I would but I am probably missing something...

I'm debating all of this because I have limited space and I am looking at modules on reverb and I'd prefer to buy used stuff to save a bit but I don't want to buy something just to regret it a few months later...

Uhhggg.... I don't know what I'm doing !! :bang: :lol:
You will for sure be missing something that you find you ‘need’. That is all part of the fun when you build a limited system out of unlimited possibilities... you have to resign yourself to that! I can assure you your planned system is capable of some beautiful sounds though.

Just do be careful getting too many tiny modules or micro-versions of things.

Jturbide
Common Wiggler

Post by Jturbide » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 pm

Raindeer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:40 pm
Because of knob access ? I already have micro versions of marbles and rings and was planning on getting the microplaits too and maybe utemps or uO_c :oops:

I understand that a lot of 2hp modules for example might be a pain to play with

Thanks for the reality check too.

Raindeer
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Raindeer » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:05 pm

Jturbide wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:55 pm
Raindeer wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:40 pm
Because of knob access ? I already have micro versions of marbles and rings and was planning on getting the microplaits too and maybe utemps or uO_c :oops:

I understand that a lot of 2hp modules for example might be a pain to play with

Thanks for the reality check too.
If you’re fine with them then it’s not a problem. Less about access than having modules that are playable. I think for most people proper knobs are just more fun than little pots.

Your system is almost entirely little pots but then you’ve squeezed a lot into the space... it’s a trade off.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”