Which delay module? Rainmaker - Sputnik - 4ms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

xkx
Learning to Wiggle

Which delay module? Rainmaker - Sputnik - 4ms

Post by xkx » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:38 pm

Hi,

I had my heart set out for the rainmaker module for months, and initially Thomann said it was coming in March.... but alas, now that's been pushed back until June! I emailed Intellijel, apparently they are having problems sourcing parts due to the pandemic. I don't particularly want to wait until June for this module and am looking at alternatives.

Sputnik 4 tap delay looks like it's also sold out and difficult to source.

Any other modules that live up to the rainmaker?

Thanks all!

sir stony
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Which delay module? Rainmaker - Sputnik - 4ms

Post by sir stony » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:39 pm

Not a rainmaker, but a hell lot of fun paired with some modulation sources:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=191049

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm

The E520 is supposed to be shipping in the next couple of weeks.

aokjoey0
Common Wiggler

Post by aokjoey0 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm

I've had my 4MS Dual Looping Delay for 4 years now and love it. I was looking for a very clean sound, not BBD, and it fit the bill perfectly. Very versatile, too. I use it in most of my patches.
Joe Nastasi aka Apogee Kick!
Musician
Ultralight and Light Sport Aviator
My YouTube Channel
http://soundcloud.com/apogee-kick/racing

japes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by japes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm

I've had my eyes on the rainmaker for a while as well. There are a few used ones popping up here and there on modulargrid and here on muffs. Occasionally one on reverb but they don't seem to pop up there as often.

xkx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xkx » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 pm

virtualpt wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm

o really? says July? where did you see this? module looks very interesting.

xkx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xkx » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:01 pm

japes wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 pm
I've had my eyes on the rainmaker for a while as well. There are a few used ones popping up here and there on modulargrid and here on muffs. Occasionally one on reverb but they don't seem to pop up there as often.
yes, crossed fingers I get my hand on one soon!

kesserich
Common Wiggler

Post by kesserich » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:05 pm

I have and love a rainmaker. I'll just offer that viewing it as a traditional delay misses the point. Yes, you can use it for 1/8th sync'c delays or whatever but it's sooo much more powerful than that. I tend to use it for crazy mangling duties and let VST plugs handle normal delay duties.

GauthierM
Common Wiggler

Post by GauthierM » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:10 pm

kesserich wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:05 pm
I have and love a rainmaker. I'll just offer that viewing it as a traditional delay misses the point. Yes, you can use it for 1/8th sync'c delays or whatever but it's sooo much more powerful than that. I tend to use it for crazy mangling duties and let VST plugs handle normal delay duties.
This is also what i would be looking for. What other modules next to Rainmaker allows that level of exploration ?

I precisely want to avoid buying a delay that makes me think that VST could also do it.

virtualpt
Common Wiggler

Post by virtualpt » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:17 pm

xkx wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:55 pm
virtualpt wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:51 pm

o really? says July? where did you see this? module looks very interesting.
Signal Sounds have them listed as shipping late Feb. Might be out of date info, but may be worth checking with them.

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:23 pm

aokjoey0 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm
I've had my 4MS Dual Looping Delay for 4 years now and love it. I was looking for a very clean sound, not BBD, and it fit the bill perfectly. Very versatile, too. I use it in most of my patches.
Do you not get any clicks that others have reported with the DLD?

https://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic ... start=1600

I've been really interested in it, but the reports of clicks have left me wary. I've never seen one in person to get a sense of how present the clicks are.

4LEW
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 4LEW » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:34 pm

Just got Mimeophon and find it amazing. You can do some crazy things with its skew function (2 deley lines that can work with different rates), buffer zones, looping, and it can even be used as a synth voice.

Xtheunknown
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Xtheunknown » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:42 pm

Have you considered the Noise Engineering Imitor Versio?

jkanizzle
Common Wiggler

Post by jkanizzle » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:45 pm

+ 1 for Mimeophon AND the added bonus of using it as a creeeeeepy and amazing sound standalone sound source.

butter
Common Wiggler

Post by butter » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:01 pm

I've never been in wiggling distance of a rainmaker, but feel like my 4MS Tapographic delay offers more of that flavor (or at least the kind of thing I've heard in rainmaker demos) than the DLD would. Its often a bit unclear what's actually going on, in the sense that results are often quite unexpected but its awesome for just building up these ambient background washes and atmospheres with no effort. I don't often clock mine, so I guess its possible to get it more under control or "precise" in the way the rainmakers menu-divey interface would allow, although thats's possibly an unfair judgement, but looks to me like the rainmaker takes more "effort" and deliberation, while the tapographic just needs a few random knocks and you're off to the races. In some ways I almost don't think of the tapographic as a delay as such and would reach for something else if I just wanted repeats...

The Sputnik is very much a delay however. Unlike the other multi-taps, you of course don't get control over where the taps are, but having them at fixed ratios to each other affords other kinds of sounds. I guess you could set the rainmaker/tapographic to do the same, but would take some "effort" again, while that is just what the 4-tap does. (see Divkid's "self-patched" video for example) The other thing about the sputnik is that its very "modular" and having to patch your own feedback kinds of invites putting other things in the loop. Although you could patch feedback with a mixer, the tapo doesn't have a built in send/return, but makes up for this with its internal effects and is in a sense more of a stand-alone or end-of-voice-chain thing to me. The sputnik is a very cool delay, but if you were hung up on a rainmaker, don't think its what you are looking for.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Signal Sounds have them listed as shipping late Feb. Might be out of date info, but may be worth checking with them.
Because I went all of last week without power, the Signal Sounds shipment will be sent March 8th. Allowing for a few days travel, he should have them to ship around 12March.

paults
mice nuts

Post by paults » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:41 pm

Due to the bad weather in Texas last week (as in no electricity), E520 dealer shipments are running ~ 10 day behind.

Perfect Circuit will get 12 units shipped tomorrow (Friday the 26th), followed by Detroit Modular, Control NYC and Signal in the days following.

The construction and factory checkout is longer than any other modules. But there are ~410 out in the field so far.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”