Drum or percussion modules for gunfire/explosions?

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Drum or percussion modules for gunfire/explosions?

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Hey guys/gals! Up until this point I had no need for traditional percussion sounds since I'm mostly doing sound-effects/drone-type stuff. But then I thought instead of laboriously piecing together samples in a DAW (I own several guns/explosions sound-effects libraries), maybe I can just trigger a drum/sampler with my SSF Ultra-Random and Pico RND to make similar sounds. Goals: machine-guns, explosions, etc. I always thought Erica Synths' Sample Drum might be perfect for this. Any other suggestions?

• Erica Synths Sample Drum:
• Trigger-input with "rapid trigger-response."
• Load samples via microSD.
• Waveform display.

So the idea is to create random battlefield-type sounds; e.g., gunfire (single shots, fully-automatic, three-round bursts, tracer-fire, etc.), explosive sounds large and small, etc. Like the soundbed you would hear in a alien-invasion movie where forces are fighting a battle a few miles away. Also, since these are mainly effects, I don't need tempo or anything.

Or maybe go in another direction: A burst-generator or sequencer of some type? I also own a Quadrax, Launch Codes trigger, and a Beatstep Pro (my only sequencer). Any other relevant suggestions for appropriate modules or techniques toward this effort would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by studio460 on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

natureclubcassettes
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Drum or percussion modules for gunfire/explosions?

Post by natureclubcassettes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

don't you have a morphogene? you could always load your samples to the SD and filter/mangle them with whatever you have. pretty sure you have a ton of audio processing modules, if I've been paying attention...

maybe not the answer you were looking for.

a big part of the gunfire sound is the physical proximity to the gun firing, so reverb should be considered. Erbe could probably accomplish the whole task, though not sure how realistic it would be.

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Drum or percussion modules for gunfire/explosions?

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:13 pm

natureclubcassettes wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm
don't you have a morphogene? you could always load your samples to the SD and filter/mangle them with whatever you have. pretty sure you have a ton of audio processing modules, if I've been paying attention...

maybe not the answer you were looking for.

a big part of the gunfire sound is the physical proximity to the gun firing, so reverb should be considered. Erbe could probably accomplish the whole task, though not sure how realistic it would be.
No, but I have a Nebulae and a Phonogene. I know I already have a lot tools for this application, but the Erica module always piqued my interest for this sort of thing. Was looking for more of a standalone module that could play more of a background-role, whereas my Nebulae is often "center-stage," occupied doing the main stuff. So, even though I have a lot modules which can already do this, I guess I was looking to more or less dedicate a single module (or modules) to this task.

Reverb and "sound stage' certainly plays a big part of this. I am currently reviewing my effects-chain and have decided to go mostly out-of-rack for effects. Got an Eventide Blackhole pedal (which I love) and planning on a Source Audio Collider next. The ECR-1 is the holy grail for neat reverb effects, but haven't been able to pull the trigger on that one yet. Gotta let the Visa card settle down a bit!

Return to “Eurorack Modules”