Toppobrillo Sport Modulator 2- discussion and signup

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

BWBKc6VyUr
Common Wiggler

Re: Possible return of the Sport Modulator??

Post by BWBKc6VyUr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:51 am

toppobrillo wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:33 pm
here is the signup sheet!
on April 1st? I get it now, this whole thing was an elaborate Fool's prank.
WTB:
Veils (pre-2020)
TipTop stackable cables (cyan/yellow/blue)

FS:
Arturia Beatstep Pro (white) - £150 + shipping
Antumbra 6MIX - £75 + shipping
Kassutronics Slope 2 - £110 + shipping

oofwello
Learning to Wiggle

Post by oofwello » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:51 am

Signed up!

inner_light
Common Wiggler

Post by inner_light » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:05 am

toppobrillo wrote:
here is the signup sheet! this was the easiest way for me to do this.

https://toppobrillo.com/products/sport- ... -pre-order

add to cart and 'check out' with your panel color and qty. you will receive a confirmation email.

again, won't take pre orders officially($) until production is imminent, thanks ! :sb:
It felt really good to click add to cart on this one!

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:24 am

At this price it is pretty hard to resist. Ordered 50 ;)

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:49 pm

Dont know if it is April’s fool or not but registered for one silver in case of !
New EP releasing on 10th may 2021 -->
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/raymond4/snowman

closedLoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by closedLoop » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm

toppobrillo wrote:

add to cart and 'check out' with your panel color and qty. you will receive a confirmation email.

again, won't take pre orders officially($) until production is imminent, thanks ! :sb:
If this isn't a 4/1 thing, it might be a good idea to change the title of the thread so folks know that it's moving beyond just "Possible return"

I cautiously await a black SM.

inner_light
Common Wiggler

Post by inner_light » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 pm

closedLoop wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:38 pm
toppobrillo wrote:

If this isn't a 4/1 thing, it might be a good idea to change the title of the thread so folks know that it's moving beyond just "Possible return"

I cautiously await a black SM.
Done!

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm

toppobrillo wrote:

double checking but also for DIY (edit: i.e. panel+pcb as per above in thread) do this? I don't want to create un-necessary confusion for you.

Robscorch
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Toppobrillo Sport Modulator 2- discussion and signup

Post by Robscorch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:34 pm

Signed up finally can replace my beloved sport modulator.

ATW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ATW » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Signed up, thank you!
ᴍᴏᴅᴜʟᴀʀ ɢʀɪᴅ ⟡ 6U 104 (x2), Palette + Pod ⟡ ᴍᴜsɪᴄ ATW on SoundCloud

toppobrillo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:48 pm

TL072 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:12 pm
toppobrillo wrote:

double checking but also for DIY (edit: i.e. panel+pcb as per above in thread) do this? I don't want to create un-necessary confusion for you.
yeah, just order a black panel for DIY and add a note.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 pm

This is exciting news- I think the original Sport Mod was the very last Eurorack module I purchased like nine or ten years ago (I’m one of the rare, satisfied few who considered their modular system ‘complete’), and the mark 2 will be my first modular addition since.

I haven’t followed along with the thread thus far, so would anyone be able and kind enough to answer a couple questions in regards to the revision’s specs:
1. Am I correct in assuming that each section’s “skew” input is akin to the original’s cv input, but this time via an attenuverter and with the section’s respective “end” output normalized to it?
2. What does the button above the comparator output do?
3. Will the toggle buttons’ functions remain in their previous state when powered down, or will they reset as with the original?
4. Does the sync input have an effect in both the stepped/S+H and smooth/L+H modes?

Thank you. This revision looks brilliant overall, and I’m stoked for it.
Last edited by Michael O. on Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:56 pm

would buy
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

TL072
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TL072 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:55 am

toppobrillo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:48 pm
TL072 wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:

There was no note field but I have put it in the name! :)

toppobrillo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 am

Michael O. wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:30 pm
This is exciting news- I think the original Sport Mod was the very last Eurorack module I purchased like nine or ten years ago (I’m one of the rare, satisfied few who considered their modular system ‘complete’), and the mark 2 will be my first modular addition since.

I haven’t followed along with the thread thus far, so would anyone be able and kind enough to answer a couple questions in regards to the revision’s specs:
1. Am I correct in assuming that each section’s “skew” input is akin to the original’s cv input, but this time via an attenuverter and with the section’s respective “end” output normalized to it?
3. Will the toggle buttons’ functions remain in their previous state when powered down, or will they reset as with the original?
4. Does the sync input have an effect in both the stepped/S+H and smooth/L+H modes?

1. yeah, that's the idea. big note here is that v/oct tracking generally goes out the window when FB patching. (CV2 will be scaled to approx. v/oct) I will *attempt* to mitigate this as i can with precision clamps , but -expectations need be tempura'd!
2. that's a toggle switch ( this answers #3 as well) that switch would normalize the 'random source' patch, that is, normalize the comparator out to the input of channel 2 as well as ch.1's S/H input.
4. yes, it would be a reset to 0 in either mode. note here: rev2 will cycle uni-polar ,from approx 0-8V as per doepfer eurorack spec.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm

toppobrillo wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:02 am
Michael O. wrote:

1. yeah, that's the idea. big note here is that v/oct tracking generally goes out the window when FB patching. (CV2 will be scaled to approx. v/oct) I will *attempt* to mitigate this as i can with precision clamps , but -expectations need be tempura'd!
2. that's a toggle switch ( this answers #3 as well) that switch would normalize the 'random source' patch, that is, normalize the comparator out to the input of channel 2 as well as ch.1's S/H input.
4. yes, it would be a reset to 0 in either mode. note here: rev2 will cycle uni-polar ,from approx 0-8V as per doepfer eurorack spec.
Thank you so much, both for these thorough answers and for continuing to thoughtfully (re)design such excellent modules. I’ve heard rumblings of a future Multifilter redesign; while I can’t even imagine how that already-superlatively-great design could be bettered (variable slope, possibly?), I am eagerly awaiting whatever you come up with!

Raymond
Common Wiggler

Post by Raymond » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm
toppobrillo wrote:
Michael O. wrote:

Thank you so much, both for these thorough answers and for continuing to thoughtfully (re)design such excellent modules. I’ve heard rumblings of a future Multifilter redesign; while I can’t even imagine how that already-superlatively-great design could be bettered (variable slope, possibly?), I am eagerly awaiting whatever you come up with!
True and what is also the third « surprise » module which was talked about ? 8-)
New EP releasing on 10th may 2021 -->
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/raymond4/snowman

bronzebygold
Common Wiggler

Post by bronzebygold » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:25 pm

toppobrillo wrote:

I signed up for the pre-order! And I'm strongly considering getting two... Can't wait.

toppobrillo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by toppobrillo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 pm

Raymond wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:32 pm
Michael O. wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:30 pm
toppobrillo wrote:
Michael O. wrote:

True and what is also the third « surprise » module which was talked about ? 8-)
this thread has been good, both in terms of user input and reinvigorating my enthusiasm for the format, so I think I’ll follow the same route w the other new designs. the new multifilter: i redesigned it over a year ago actually, there are a couple of instagram posts you can find, i wasn’t fully happy w the interface and have since made it wider (back to 12Hp) and simplified it a bit. main things I added were: 2 inputs on a crossfader, a dedicated “ping” input, and a voltage variable mode output that either does L-B-H or L-N-H. other than that, its the same filter!

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:13 pm

toppobrillo wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:20 pm
{...}
this thread has been good, both in terms of user input and reinvigorating my enthusiasm for the format, so I think I’ll follow the same route w the other new designs. the new multifilter: i redesigned it over a year ago actually, there are a couple of instagram posts you can find, i wasn’t fully happy w the interface and have since made it wider (back to 12Hp) and simplified it a bit. main things I added were: 2 inputs on a crossfader, a dedicated “ping” input, and a voltage variable mode output that either does L-B-H or L-N-H. other than that, its the same filter!
I'm glad that the experience with the users has been good, and not something akin to running the gauntlet, over hot coals, barefoot and in the nude.

Now... dare I ask ever so sheepishly... do you think a return of the Mixiplexer could be in the offing one day soon/soonish?

wingcommander
Learning to Wiggle

Post by wingcommander » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 am

As the Multifilter has been mentioned, there's one for sale on Post Modular, at a good price as well. I imagine they're hard to get hold of now? I bagged the second to last this week.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:34 am

wingcommander wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:58 am
As the Multifilter has been mentioned, there's one for sale on Post Modular, at a good price as well. I imagine they're hard to get hold of now? I bagged the second to last this week.
Not too hard to get a hold of. Right now, there's a new unit at Analogue Haven, plus two used ones; one on Reverb and another on ModularGrid.

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:05 pm

TL072 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:55 am
toppobrillo wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:48 pm
TL072 wrote:
toppobrillo wrote:

There was no note field but I have put it in the name! :)
Capture.JPG

PapaLazarou
Common Wiggler

Post by PapaLazarou » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Been looking for one for a couple yrs now. Count me interested

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:03 pm

toppobrillo wrote:
2. I'm maybe in the minority camp of wanting the original push buttons but will purchase either way. When you have random source mode activated, will the S/H switches be deactivated? That might imply some kind of logic / switching scheme for which push buttons might be more efficient anyways? :mrgreen:
4. What's the reasoning for changing to unipolar cycling? Are CV inputs commonly expecting unipolar voltages these days (asking cause I don't know)? I have lots of unipolar CV generators in my system that can act as LFOs and VCOs, and get frustrated having to offset them externally when required. Not a deal breaker by any means, but just curious why since SM isn't really designed to generate envelopes.
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”